• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

kittens
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:02 PM)
kittens's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryaaan14

I kinda remember that, but do you see where I'm coming from? A spreadless BR is too much like a DMR that it makes absolutely zero sense they'd be in the same game. I have a feeling Ellis was talking out his ass or something.

Oh yeah, totally. I expect the BR and DMR to be different in a few key ways. Could be bloom, rate of fire, range, scope (2x versus 3x), recoil, damage, etc. I'm guessing the DMR will be a five shot kill (with the BR being 4SK?), with a slightly slower rate of fire than the BR, but with amazing accuracy and a 3x scope.
higherARC05
Banned
(04-09-2012, 05:04 PM)
Graphics enduced emotions of the generation









Overdoziz
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:08 PM)
Overdoziz's Avatar
Ryaaan14
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:08 PM)
Ryaaan14's Avatar
Hahahaha
lybertyboy
Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
(04-09-2012, 05:10 PM)
lybertyboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryaaan14

A spreadless BR is too much like a DMR that it makes absolutely zero sense they'd be in the same game. I have a feeling Ellis was talking out his ass or something.

Recoil.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 05:10 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
Confirmed: Armor Lock replaced with Web Shield, like the old Spider-Man game back in 2000
AllIsOneIsNone
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:12 PM)
AllIsOneIsNone's Avatar

Originally Posted by kittens

Oh yeah, totally. I expect the BR and DMR to be different in a few key ways. Could be bloom, rate of fire, range, scope (2x versus 3x), recoil, damage, etc. I'm guessing the DMR will be a five shot kill (with the BR being 4SK?), with a slightly slower rate of fire than the BR, but with amazing accuracy and a 3x scope.

Precisely what I was thinking/hoping for.
Ryaaan14
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:14 PM)
Ryaaan14's Avatar

Originally Posted by lybertyboy

Recoil.

tyvm sir!
Xun
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:17 PM)
Xun's Avatar
Armour lock is gone? :'D
Chip N Chance
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:19 PM)
Chip N Chance's Avatar
Wheres everyone getting all this info at. It seems you guys are getting new scoops.
squidhands
My preferred nomenclature
is Hobo-American
(04-09-2012, 05:23 PM)
squidhands's Avatar

Originally Posted by Striker

The other said had pages upon pages of Cortana... stuff.

At least that was mildly entertaining to read, unlike the tantrum-fest that's been on display this past weekend. Frankie and David should be named saints for all their efforts to assuage the hyperbolic rage here (and most likely elsewhere).
FJ0372
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 05:25 PM)
FJ0372's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiro_Kunimi_80

because they don't know HOW to use it.

Armor Lock FTW

This. Removing armour lock because people are crap at defending it and don't know how to use it properly themselves is a cowardly move from 343.
GarthVaderUK
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:26 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chip N Chance

Wheres everyone getting all this info at. It seems you guys are getting new scoops.

From the Franchise Development Director for the Halo franchise, I hear he's an insider.

Edit: and of course his minion David Ellis.
Last edited by GarthVaderUK; 04-09-2012 at 05:29 PM.
kittens
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:31 PM)
kittens's Avatar

Originally Posted by FJ0372

This. Removing armour lock because people are crap at defending it and don't know how to use it properly themselves is a cowardly move from 343.

Whereas I see it as removing a hopelessly broken sandbox element. It's not cowardly, it's necessary.
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:32 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by FJ0372

This. Removing armour lock because people are crap at defending it and don't know how to use it properly themselves is a cowardly move from 343.

At this point I can't tell if people are trolling or not.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Fi...player=Tawpgun
There's proof I know how to use this fucking Easy Mode [ON] armor ability. If you use it like I do, in conjunction with a teammate who uses it you become gods on the battlefield. Capable of surviving ANY encounter.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Fi...player=Tawpgun
This is me and my friends trying out an all armor lock team. The biggest thing here is how ANNOYING it is for other players. Armor Lock animation should be replaced with the goddamn troll face because thats exactly what it is. You're sitting there going OLOLOLOLL U DIDNT KIL ME N00b while everyone else is getting pissed off you're slowing the game down.

It's overpowered when used right, and its fucking annoying when used at any time by any skill level.
shinobi602
(04-09-2012, 05:33 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chip N Chance

Wheres everyone getting all this info at. It seems you guys are getting new scoops.

What info?
Dax01
Founding member, Guardians Anonymous
(04-09-2012, 05:37 PM)
Dax01's Avatar

Originally Posted by kittens

Oh yeah, totally. I expect the BR and DMR to be different in a few key ways. Could be bloom, rate of fire, range, scope (2x versus 3x), recoil, damage, etc. I'm guessing the DMR will be a five shot kill (with the BR being 4SK?), with a slightly slower rate of fire than the BR, but with amazing accuracy and a 3x scope.

I can deal with a longer range so long as it doesn't have 3x. I think that would be the best of both worlds for people who want 3x zoom and people, like me, who don't want it.
wwm0nkey
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:37 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

At this point I can't tell if people are trolling or not.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Fi...player=Tawpgun
There's proof I know how to use this fucking Easy Mode [ON] armor ability. If you use it like I do, in conjunction with a teammate who uses it you become gods on the battlefield. Capable of surviving ANY encounter.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Fi...player=Tawpgun
This is me and my friends trying out an all armor lock team. The biggest thing here is how ANNOYING it is for other players. Armor Lock animation should be replaced with the goddamn troll face because thats exactly what it is. You're sitting there going OLOLOLOLL U DIDNT KIL ME N00b while everyone else is getting pissed off you're slowing the game down.

It's overpowered when used right, and its fucking annoying when used at any time by any skill level.

Nah man Armor Lock is totally cool and takes skill!
TheOddOne
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:39 PM)
TheOddOne's Avatar

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

Nah man Armor Lock is totally cool and takes skill!

You guys are in the minority bro.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(04-09-2012, 05:39 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar
As long as plasma grenades remain I'll play Halo forever.
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:43 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar
I can distill it to...

You either survive an encounter you should have died in by pressing one button. So much tactics bro.

or

You delay the inevitable by slowing the game down and being annoying.
Emitan
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:49 PM)
Emitan's Avatar
The only exception is armor locking to kill a Ghost boosting towards you. Which is the greatest thing in the world.
Hey You
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:52 PM)
Hey You's Avatar

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey



EDIT: People seriously liked that shit? The hell is this, I thought people liked FUN not game breaking and stopping things like Armor Lock.

I find most people who bitch about AL either suck at Reach,can't counter people with AL or both.
kittens
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:55 PM)
kittens's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dax01

I can deal with a longer range so long as it doesn't have 3x. I think that would be the best of both worlds for people who want 3x zoom and people, like me, who don't want it.

Yeah, the DMR discourages map movement quite a bit in Reach, so I'd be okay with a 2x scope.

Originally Posted by Billychu

The only exception is armor locking to kill a Ghost boosting towards you. Which is the greatest thing in the world.

Agreed. It's pretty much the only reason I enjoy playing BTB Heavies on Asphalt. So many straight, narrow hallways, and so many Ghosts. It's the only map I choose armor lock on, haha.
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:55 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Billychu

The only exception is armor locking to kill a Ghost boosting towards you. Which is the greatest thing in the world.

Back in my day we jumped over the damn thing and tried to shoot it in the head.

(or fuel tank which I also miss)

Originally Posted by Hey You

I find most people who bitch about AL either suck at Reach,can't counter people with AL or both.

Oh man I love shitting on Armor Lock defenders.

Tell me how you counter someone with AL. Enlighten me. I definitely don't suck at Reach, I can pull up stats or HaloGAF can defend me on that.
daedalius
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:55 PM)
daedalius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryaaan14

If the BR is hitscan with no spread, how will that not be affective at long range/pinging? The BR requires spread to NOT be a DMR.

2x vs 3x?

Also, recoil vs bloom; as mr Ellis pointed out.
Emitan
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:56 PM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

Back in my day we jumped over the damn thing and tried to shoot it in the head.

(or fuel tank which I also miss)

The day we discovered sniping the fuel tanks makes a ghost explode was mind blowing.
CrazedArabMan
member
(04-09-2012, 06:01 PM)
CrazedArabMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hey You

I find most people who bitch about AL either suck at Reach,can't counter people with AL or both.

Petrichor
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:02 PM)
Petrichor's Avatar

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

Back in my day we jumped over the damn thing and tried to shoot it in the head.

(or fuel tank which I also miss)


Oh man I love shitting on Armor Lock defenders.

Tell me how you counter someone with AL. Enlighten me. I definitely don't suck at Reach, I can pull up stats or HaloGAF can defend me on that.

...time a grenade so it explodes when they come out of armor lock?
Emitan
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:04 PM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hey You

I find most people who bitch about AL either suck at Reach,can't counter people with AL or both.

Or they hate an ability that turns on god mode at the press of a button
shinobi602
(04-09-2012, 06:06 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by Billychu

Or they hate an ability that turns on god mode at the press of a button

I don't like it as much as the next guy, but really, just wait until the lock ends, stick em with a nade or blast them.

Or move on to the next guy.
Overdoziz
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:07 PM)
Overdoziz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hey You

I find most people who bitch about AL either suck at Reach,can't counter people with AL or both.

1v1 me bro
Emitan
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:07 PM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

I don't like it as much as the next guy, but really, just wait until the lock ends, stick em with a nade or blast them.

Or move on to the next guy.

My strategy is to take out the disk and play Halo 3 ;p

But seriously I just wait and nade them.
ii Stryker
Banned
(04-09-2012, 06:07 PM)
ii Stryker's Avatar
Not too sure how I feel about all of it.

The lack of FireFight is concerning.

When you start removing known(dare I say beloved)features from Halo I think that's bad.
Mayyhem
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:08 PM)
Mayyhem's Avatar
So glad armor lock is gone. but i'm still disappointed that AA's in general are in, especially now that sprint (ugh) is default.
FJ0372
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 06:08 PM)
FJ0372's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrichor

...time a grenade so it explodes when they come out of armor lock?

Also, don't stand next to someone waiting for them to come out of armour lock and then cry about the fact that they removed all of your armour and then beat you down. STAND BACK PEOPLE.
wwm0nkey
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:09 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

I don't like it as much as the next guy, but really, just wait until the lock ends, stick em with a nade or blast them.

Or move on to the next guy.

That right there is what the problem is, and if there is no other guy around you HAVE to wait while his team mates come in or respawn.
Overdoziz
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:10 PM)
Overdoziz's Avatar

Originally Posted by FJ0372

Also, don't stand next to someone waiting for them to come out of armour lock and then cry about the fact that they removed all of your armour and then beat you down. STAND BACK PEOPLE.

You honestly think people hate armor lock because they don't know how to deal with it? That's cute.
kittens
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:13 PM)
kittens's Avatar

Originally Posted by ii Stryker

Not too sure how I feel about all of it.

The lack of FireFight is concerning.

When you start removing known(dare I say beloved)features from Halo I think that's bad.

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

Armor Lock is gone. Spartan Ops will scratch that and other itches.

That's Frank O'Connor from 343i, in response to concerns about Firefight being gone. It seems we'll still have something very close to the traditional Firefight experience.
GarthVaderUK
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:15 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by ii Stryker

Not too sure how I feel about all of it.

The lack of FireFight is concerning.

When you start removing known(dare I say beloved)features from Halo I think that's bad.

They're going to have Firefight-esque missions in Spartan Ops anyway so I'm not worried about it.
ii Stryker
Banned
(04-09-2012, 06:17 PM)
ii Stryker's Avatar
I think removing armor lock entirely is terrible. I think limiting its use to BTB with vehicles would be fine. I love ruining someone's day when they think they're going to get a splatter!

I really don't understand all the armor lock hate. It makes CQB evenly viable with ranged combat.

Originally Posted by kittens

That's Frank O'Connor from 343i, in response to concerns about Firefight being gone. It seems we'll still have something very close to the traditional Firefight experience.

We'll see I guess. I do like the idea of having something specifically cooperatively story driven
Last edited by ii Stryker; 04-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:18 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrichor

...time a grenade so it explodes when they come out of armor lock?

So you're telling me I absolutely destroyed some player with my superior gun skills. I'm wanting to keep the flow and speed of the game intact. I want to kill him and move on to the objective or other enemies.

Let's address one common AL defense. Moving on to another player. LOLOLOLOL Yeah because they're stuck in Armor Lock for the full 3 seconds right? I've tried that strategy. When I start ignoring them they pop back out and start shooting me. That's not a strategy. BUT WAIT. EVEN IF I WERE TO DO THAT EVERYTIME, AND THEY DIDNT POP OUT AND SHOOT BACK.... THAT MEANS THEY LITERALLY ESCAPED BEING OUTSKILLED BY ME BY PRESSING A BUTTON. SUPER LEGIT TACTICOOL.

Now let's address another. Wait for them to come out, nade them etc. You you're telling me what Armor Lock is, is a delay the inevitable button? Awesome gameplay mechanic bro. It means I have to sit somewhere, probably vulnerable from my fight with them, and wait until I can time a grenade? WAIT WAIT WAIT. By then I might be dead. Even if I'm not I've wasted time on someone who SHOULD BE COUNTING DOWN TO RESPAWN.

It serves no purpose other than giving players a save me button when they couldn't save themselves.


Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

You honestly think people hate armor lock because they don't know how to deal with it? That's cute.

This.
TheOddOne
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:20 PM)
TheOddOne's Avatar

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

You honestly think people hate armor lock because they don't know how to deal with it? That's cute.

Hahhahaha.... you finally made me laugh.
ii Stryker
Banned
(04-09-2012, 06:24 PM)
ii Stryker's Avatar

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

So you're telling me I absolutely destroyed some player with my superior gun skills. I'm wanting to keep the flow and speed of the game intact. I want to kill him and move on to the objective or other enemies.

Let's address one common AL defense. Moving on to another player. LOLOLOLOL Yeah because they're stuck in Armor Lock for the full 3 seconds right? I've tried that strategy. When I start ignoring them they pop back out and start shooting me. That's not a strategy. BUT WAIT. EVEN IF I WERE TO DO THAT EVERYTIME, AND THEY DIDNT POP OUT AND SHOOT BACK.... THAT MEANS THEY LITERALLY ESCAPED BEING OUTSKILLED BY ME BY PRESSING A BUTTON. SUPER LEGIT TACTICOOL.

Now let's address another. Wait for them to come out, nade them etc. You you're telling me what Armor Lock is, is a delay the inevitable button? Awesome gameplay mechanic bro. It means I have to sit somewhere, probably vulnerable from my fight with them, and wait until I can time a grenade? WAIT WAIT WAIT. By then I might be dead. Even if I'm not I've wasted time on someone who SHOULD BE COUNTING DOWN TO RESPAWN.

It serves no purpose other than giving players a save me button when they couldn't save themselves.

Then remove it from the arena and leave it in the regular playlists.
Arnie
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:25 PM)
Arnie's Avatar
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a Firefight esque variant of each Spartan Ops mission every week. The way the article worded it implied that whilst their would be a singular piece of content unlocked each week, there would also be multiple objectives and missions associated with that.

I'd wager that whilst the main bulk of Spartan Ops will be the narrative focused, traditional style missions, certain set pieces and environments will be cut from that for you to digest in alternative ways. Similar to how Firefight spaces were built into and extracted from the Campaign, I could imagine the same thing happening with Spartan Ops.

Although the idea of getting a Spartan Op and what is essentially a Firefight map, each week, seems implausible.
Overdoziz
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:26 PM)
Overdoziz's Avatar

Originally Posted by ii Stryker

Then remove it from the arena and leave it in the regular playlists.

Then remove it from matchmaking and leave it in custom games.
wwm0nkey
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:27 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by ii Stryker

Then remove it from the arena and leave it in the regular playlists.

Yeah lets play a failed playlist guys and have a bad armor ability in all of the other playlists!
KidA Seven
Member
(04-09-2012, 06:27 PM)
KidA Seven's Avatar
Dear lord, some people like Armor lock? All it did was slow the game down. Vanilla Reach was already slow and AL just made it worse.
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(04-09-2012, 06:28 PM)
DopeyFish's Avatar

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Then remove it from matchmaking and leave it in custom games.

Or remove it and never speak of it again
ii Stryker
Banned
(04-09-2012, 06:32 PM)
ii Stryker's Avatar

Originally Posted by DopeyFish

Or remove it and never speak of it again

Or just remove all armor abilities and make sprint standard.

Thread Tools