• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

zlatko
If my BP falls below 1000 Lord Sirlin will kill my family
(04-09-2012, 08:03 PM)
zlatko's Avatar

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

What did you like about it compared to the others?

Everyone on HaloGAF appreciated Reach's clear feedback system (I liked how clear it was but me and other still wanted melee bleed through) hitscan, godly netcode... that's about it. Those were pretty universal likes. Then it started getting messy.

I think it had to do with initial accessability compared to older Halo's. I got into 3 late, and 1 and 2 I only got access to at friends homes, due to my not having an OG Xbox.

I wasn't great at Reach, but I felt decent/good enough that I could play without going negative for the most part, where in past Halo's I definitely struggled. Customization options were great for Spartan's, and I'm big on customization in games. Once I got it later on the map packs helped in a lot of ways with more enjoyable maps to play on.

There's definitely shit I hated on, as can be shown with previous posts I've made in Reach's thread.

The story also wasn't great, but I found it more enjoyable than other Halo's. I did like firefight with friends. I did like daily challenges.

Plenty to like in the game, and plenty to build up on for going to H4.
senador
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:03 PM)
senador's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

When is Gameinformers Halo 4 hub finally going to release info? After April 10?

They generally do throughout the month, and they generally wait til the magazine has made it around a bit.
Poker Face
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:04 PM)
Poker Face's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Real Napsta

If anyone cares:

Halo 1.5 is out.

You need a modded Xbox to play it but its pretty cool.

It has all the OG maps and 13 new maps made by DDS, Insidious and Pwnytar (RIP).

wut.

when did this happen?

edit: jk thought it was the HD version of the CE campaign with the carbine and other weapons someone was making
TheOddOne
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:04 PM)
TheOddOne's Avatar

Originally Posted by senador

They generally do throughout the month, and they generally wait til the magazine has made it around a bit.

Ok, thanks.
The Real Napsta
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 08:04 PM)
The Real Napsta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pok3R Fac3D

wut.

when did this happen?

April 4th.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-09-2012, 08:05 PM)
Tashi's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyReN

That's MLG not 343i, MLG heads in Starcraft and Fighters land so we are stuck with it:(

This needs to be fixed. Get THC to start a thread/petitiok, make it a thread on MLG and publish an article in THC.

Get people to "sign" it by posting, commenting and supporting it. Show to 343....success?

We have to spell out exactly and clearly what we want.

Tighter matchmaking restrictions so players with like skill match each other more often.

Tighter part restrictions. Team of 4 will never face a party of randoms, a party of 2's or a party 2 randoms and a 2.

Randoms can match with parties of 3, other randoms or parties of 2.

Did I miss anything?

Let's organize and make the playlist better.

Also, 3 options for maps rather than 2.
zlatko
If my BP falls below 1000 Lord Sirlin will kill my family
(04-09-2012, 08:05 PM)
zlatko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dax01

I never said you couldn't change your opinion. That's why I had it as a question. I was curious given your past comments.

Edit: Lord knows I've changed my opinion on Halo games.

I agree my earlier comments are bombastic looking at them now, but that IS the experience I was having at the game at the time.

I also disliked original Halo, until I ran through it with a friend on co-op last year, and that made me enjoy it more than a solo experience for several reasons.

The only Halo I haven't touched yet is ODST, but I think I'll hit it up here soon int he summer when I have more time since a lot of GAF considers its campaign the best.
i nerini del buio
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:06 PM)
i nerini del buio's Avatar

Originally Posted by BackdoorBeauty

Shit let me get right on that.

You could even try moving the teleport here (red dot)



and put an overshield/armorlock/whatever in the bathroom
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-09-2012, 08:12 PM)
Dax01's Avatar

Originally Posted by zlatko

I agree my earlier comments are bombastic looking at them now, but that IS the experience I was having at the game at the time.

I also disliked original Halo, until I ran through it with a friend on co-op last year, and that made me enjoy it more than a solo experience for several reasons.

The only Halo I haven't touched yet is ODST, but I think I'll hit it up here soon int he summer when I have more time since a lot of GAF considers its campaign the best.

Outside of CE its given the most recognition given the hubworld. Definitely worth checking out. It doesn't succeed in everything it tries to do, but it mostly does, and the encounter design is pretty great overall.
CyReN
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:13 PM)
CyReN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tashi0106

This needs to be fixed. Get THC to start a thread/petitiok, make it a thread on MLG and publish an article in THC.

Get people to "sign" it by posting, commenting and supporting it. Show to 343....success?

We have to spell out exactly and clearly what we want.

Tighter matchmaking restrictions so players with like skill match each other more often.

Tighter part restrictions. Team of 4 will never face a party of randoms, a party of 2's or a party 2 randoms and a 2.

Randoms can match with parties of 3, other randoms or parties of 2.

Did I miss anything?

Let's organize and make the playlist better.

Also, 3 options for maps rather than 2.

Do you have a link to the post or tweet that says we need mlg to do it so I can reference it. Then I can tweet it from the THC twitter.
Latvian Hitman
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:15 PM)
Latvian Hitman's Avatar

Originally Posted by heckfu

Haha I'm genuinely curious how you hate warthogs

Oops- didn't 'splain myself fully. My complaint was how completely worthless they are in Reach, not that they are overpowered.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-09-2012, 08:17 PM)
Tashi's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyReN

Do you have a link to the post or tweet that says we need mlg to do it so I can reference it. Then I can tweet it from the THC twitter.

I will look. Not sure if it's a post by Frankie or David or a tweet from Jessica.

Edit: i just retweeted cyren, its from Jessica.
Last edited by Tashi; 04-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
CyReN
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:20 PM)
CyReN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tashi0106

I will look. Not sure if it's a post by Frankie or David or a tweet from Jessica.

Edit: i just retweeted cyren, its from Jessica.

thanks.

Everyone RT! - https://twitter.com/#!/TheHaloCounci...32755476627456

ps: Frankie and Ellis can get their vengeance and have a tweet storm the opposite way;)
Trey
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Dax01

and the encounter design is pretty great overall.

Fucking yes.
Latvian Hitman
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:21 PM)
Latvian Hitman's Avatar

Originally Posted by monsterfracas

You can counter normal warthogs quite easily, just DMR the hell out of it with a couple teammates and it goes down pretty quick. This doesn't work with the Gauss Hog often though.

I had misread the intent of your post- but I totally agree about the gauss.

I was actually complaining about how worthless the regular hog is. Damn thing is a deathtrap in Reach.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(04-09-2012, 08:21 PM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dax01

Outside of CE its given the most recognition given the hubworld. Definitely worth checking out. It doesn't succeed in everything it tries to do, but it mostly does, and the encounter design is pretty great overall.

Yup on all counts. I think the game tapers off toward the endgame, but several of the missons and the hub in particular are really great. And while not as universally praised, I loved Sadie's Story, in concept and execution; fun to find, a good tracker and way to replay them, and they tie into both the story and the gameplay (weapon cache unlocks).
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 08:23 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyReN

What kind of Halo do you like for Reach at least?

Eh, my own issues with MLG Halo is more in general, not just Reach. I miss all the wackier weapons like the Gravity Hammer or the Needler, or just the normal weapon/power-up layout like the Overshield and Shotgun on Beaver Creek. I miss the radar, too. I guess that makes me a scrub, but I like that thing. And I miss vehicles! Well, maybe not Halo Reach vehicles...

IDK, I just feel like MLG removes a lot of the diversity and options I liked about Halo, and then on top of that with Reach you got crappy maps and 3x bloomless DMR. Just really unappealing to me, personally.

I feel like I complain too much in this thread. I need to say something positive.

I'm hyped for Halo 4, man, whatever @ those changes.

-It's totally gorgeous
-Campaign is sounding godlike
-Spec Ops sounds like the first real episodic content in...maybe forever
-Movement speed is good again
-Maps built from scratch and not rigged from Campaign
-No AL
-No Health Packs
-2x scope hitscan BR with no bullet spread
-No more Invasion screwing up BTB

The shit is already GOTY (Viewtiful Joe 3 sudden announcement and release notwithstanding)
zlatko
If my BP falls below 1000 Lord Sirlin will kill my family
(04-09-2012, 08:26 PM)
zlatko's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

Eh, my own issues with MLG Halo is more in general, not just Reach. I miss all the wackier weapons like the Gravity Hammer or the Needler, or just the normal weapon/power-up layout like the Overshield and Shotgun on Beaver Creek. I miss the radar, too. I guess that makes me a scrub, but I like that thing. And I miss vehicles! Well, maybe not Halo Reach vehicles...

IDK, I just feel like MLG removes a lot of the diversity and options I liked about Halo, and then on top of that with Reach you got crappy maps and 3x bloomless DMR. Just really unappealing to me, personally.

I feel like I complain too much in this thread. I need to say something positive.

I'm hyped for Halo 4, man, whatever @ those changes.

-It's totally gorgeous
-Campaign is sounding godlike
-Spec Ops sounds like the first real episodic content in...maybe forever
-Movement speed is good again
-Maps built from scratch and not rigged from Campaign
-No AL
-No Health Packs
-2x scope hitscan BR with no bullet spread
-No more Invasion screwing up BTB

The shit is already GOTY (Viewtiful Joe 3 sudden announcement and release notwithstanding)

Agreed with all that H4 hype. It's my most wanted shooter now after the info of it leaked. I'm excited what they will show for E3. Will 343 be doing vidocs like Bungie did with Reach? I'm itching for more.
Zeouterlimits
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:28 PM)
Zeouterlimits's Avatar
It may not bear repeating, but I can't but think of instant respawns and frown.

Originally Posted by zlatko

The only Halo I haven't touched yet is ODST, but I think I'll hit it up here soon int he summer when I have more time since a lot of GAF considers its campaign the best.

If possible, I wouldn't play it Co-Op on your first run either.
For the most part the game has as very deliberate atmosphere that would be pretty spoiled by playing with a buddy.
Fracas
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:28 PM)
Fracas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Latvian Hitman

I had misread the intent of your post- but I totally agree about the gauss.

I was actually complaining about how worthless the regular hog is. Damn thing is a deathtrap in Reach.

Ah, ok.
Lol yeah, I don't use warthogs often. Covenant vehicles are better IMO.
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:31 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar
So.

I don't know how much power 343 has over this but...

inb4 Pre-Order Exclusive Spartan Points Booster Pack
Exclusive Armor Mods
Exclusive Spartan Op
Exclusive bullshit

It's been getting worse as the years went on.
Reagan's BR
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:34 PM)
Reagan's BR's Avatar
Ok serious post this time. I actually really enjoyed dual wielding in Halo 2 but not in halo 3. I suspect that it was because in Halo 2 you started with an SMG and that encouraged you to either grab a two handed weapon or dual wield where as in Halo 3 you started with an AR meaning you had to find two decent dual weildable weapons if you wanted to dual weild thus making it more logical to just find a BR. Plus halo 2 had some cool weapon combos (SMG/PR, SMG/PP, SMG/SMG). Am I the only one who would like to see Dual Wielding return? Maybe have SMG starts in place of AR starts as a voting option against BR and DMR starts?
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:36 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Awesome Barlow

Ok serious post this time. I actually really enjoyed dual wielding in Halo 2 but not in halo 3. I suspect that it was because in Halo 2 you started with an SMG and that encouraged you to either grab a two handed weapon or dual wield where as in Halo 3 you started with an AR meaning you had to find two decent dual weildable weapons if you wanted to dual weild thus making it more logical to just find a BR. Plus halo 2 had some cool weapon combos (SMG/PR, SMG/PP, SMG/SMG). Am I the only one who would like to see Dual Wielding return? Maybe have SMG starts in place of AR starts as a voting option against BR and DMR starts?

GOD NO

Dual Wielding wrecked the weapon sandbox.
Zeouterlimits
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:37 PM)
Zeouterlimits's Avatar
Not a fan of dual-wielding, hope it stays buried.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(04-09-2012, 08:38 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeouterlimits

Not a fan of dual-wielding, hope it stays buried.

Same here. Never seemed to balance well.

Not to mention with Sprint being a base trait (it is a base trait in Halo 4 right?) we may be running out of ways to easily map all the buttons on the controller.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(04-09-2012, 08:38 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar
Agreed, dual wielding was the only bad part of Halo 2.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 08:39 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
Dual-wielding can come back when the Two Magnum combo is back to awesomeness of Halo 2, before the nerf.

John Woo style, baby
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-09-2012, 08:39 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeouterlimits

Not a fan of dual-wielding, hope it stays buried.

no dual wielding.
Rickenslacker
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:40 PM)
Rickenslacker's Avatar
I'd prefer for weapons to stand on their own merits than needing to be chained along with something else to work. Otherwise you have the stupid scenario where everyone calls the BR overpowered again because the rest of the non-power weapons had to be gimped so that you could use two at once.

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

:D
Tawpgun
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:41 PM)
Tawpgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

D3LI43RED
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(04-09-2012, 08:42 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

More confirmations. So that leads me to believe you can now hold 3 weapons. Which is why the codpiece had disappeared.
Ryaaan14
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 08:42 PM)
Ryaaan14's Avatar
Dual weilding was bad but lulzy. Armor abilities are bad and not lulzy.

:_\
Latvian Hitman
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:42 PM)
Latvian Hitman's Avatar

Originally Posted by monsterfracas

Ah, ok.
Lol yeah, I don't use warthogs often. Covenant vehicles are better IMO.

I hope they find a nice compromise between the H3 hog and the Reach hog for Halo 4. I know it was a bit overpowered in 3, (and I admittedly whored the thing on a regular basis)- but they went a little overboard with trying to fix that in Reach. I had a go-cart as a kid that I would ride into battle before I'd hop into that thing. Little orange flag and all.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-09-2012, 08:44 PM)
Tashi's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyReN

thanks.

Everyone RT! - https://twitter.com/#!/TheHaloCounci...32755476627456

ps: Frankie and Ellis can get their vengeance and have a tweet storm the opposite way;)

That's fuckin teaaaaamwooorrrrrrk
heckfu
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:44 PM)
heckfu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryaaan14

Dual weilding was bad but lulzy. Armor abilities are bad and not lulzy.

:_

Bad? Apparently not everyone got a hold of dual wielding plasma rifles.
CyReN
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:44 PM)
CyReN's Avatar
This clip sums up after hearing about the GameInformer article then Frankie and Ellis posting tidbits.

ps: didn't mind dual wielding personally. I'll live.
Ryaaan14
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 08:45 PM)
Ryaaan14's Avatar

Originally Posted by heckfu

Bad? Apparently not everyone got a hold of dual wielding plasma rifles.

My man. B_)
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(04-09-2012, 08:45 PM)
Plywood's Avatar

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Better than people camping around corners and at lifts with shotgun and sword with sprint.
There are some nice lines of sight for the Sniper but nothing too make it too powerful and the Rockets are usually out of play fairly quickly especially compared to the Shotgun and Sword who both have enough ammo to kill about a dozen people.

Well personally I rarely have those problems myself seeing as I usually get the power weapons before the enemy team does.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:46 PM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

Triple wielding confirmed. It's why Chief has a new cod piece

Edit: Beaten. :(
Steelyuhas
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:46 PM)
Steelyuhas's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

Same here. Never seemed to balance well.

Not to mention with Sprint being a base trait (it is a base trait in Halo 4 right?) we may be running out of ways to easily map all the buttons on the controller.

It is.

I'm guessing there will be a new default control scheme with sprint on the left stick click.

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

Gud.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(04-09-2012, 08:46 PM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

<3
squidhands
My preferred nomenclature
is Hobo-American
(04-09-2012, 08:46 PM)
squidhands's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

You could not have a more perfect avatar for anything that you say. :-)
Franklinator
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:47 PM)
Franklinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deadly Cyclone

More confirmations. So that leads me to believe you can now hold 3 weapons. Which is why the codpiece had disappeared.

But why hold 3 weapons when you can...quadruple-wield
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 08:48 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

feel
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:48 PM)
feel's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

You just chime in on the most random things..

What's the FOV of the game? (please don't answer, thanks in advance)
Overdoziz
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:48 PM)
Overdoziz's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.

Tashi wielding?
Arnie
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:49 PM)
Arnie's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

no dual wielding.




Not even if we've unlocked the Akimbo perk?
ElzarTheBam
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:52 PM)
ElzarTheBam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Myyke

Hobnobbing with the people of power already eh? Sounds like you're on the way to becoming a good lawyer!

Hobnobbing is such a strong word, I prefer to use the word digestive.
heckfu
Member
(04-09-2012, 08:54 PM)
heckfu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arnie




Not even if we've unlocked the Akimbo perk?

I remember watching that game and the commentators kept playing it lol
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 08:55 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
That gif is basically HaloGAF's opinion on Halo 4 the past couple days. GI reveal was painful, but the soothing sexy voice of Frankie means the hype is still alive.

Thread Tools