• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ettie

Man, I've been driving an automatic economy car for 6 years now. Really want to get back into a coupe. Thinking of saving up for a miata. My GF and I currently share a toyota matrix, and we're going to be in this city for at least 4 more years. Problem is, I don't make all that much as a grad student.

Maybe next year. /jealous

I've been dailying a miata for about 10 years now. As long as you don't have kids or a M-F luggage haul, it's awesome. People complain about rowing the gears in stop and go traffic, but it doesn't bother me.

N-Bomb

I'm digging the black one the most. Chrome/silver the least. Orange I like the body color but the wheels no. Maybe gold or black wheels? That's just for my taste preference though.

Ahhh, it came out orange! It's supposed to be somewhat close to Ferrari red. :\ Black one I'm going for a bit of the Lotus look. Red I tried gold wheels and it didn't really do it for me. Yeah, black could work!

You know, I think you're on to something.

red-black.jpg

555 livery!

I bite my thumb at you, sir.

SUBARU_IMPREZA_GC8V.JPG

This!! I'd also vote no stripes and stuff.

Ahhh, yellow looks great on some cars - if I'd have gotten an FD, I might've tried to get one in Competition Yellow Mica. This car, I don't think it quite fits. :\

That's the front bumper I'll be getting though. The one on this model is a bit much.

Yep, no stripes for sure. Yellow isn't bad either. I was always a fan of the silver/grey that the RB5 came in, as well....

FHRyN.jpg

That's another colour that looks really good on some cars, particularly luxoboats.

Enron

Banned
You know, someone's already explained multi-quote to you. Use it.

All those are horribly rice-y. I don't care if you are going to spend 324040404 dollars on this to make it awesome under the hood - all of these make it look like 30 clowns are going to get out of it when it stops. At least dignify it with a decent paint job.

If I was going to get a Miata, which makes sense for a lot of reasons, I would stop, get a Mini Cooper S vertible and then have something similar in some respects, but a trillion times more practical. Curious about the BMW 1 convertible too. Maybe when I have my midlife crisis.
Yeah, but it would be just for fun, the Matrix is all the practicality we need. And I'll be looking at an older one. I'd prefer an NB but an NA in good shape would be excellent.
I've been dailying a miata for about 10 years now. As long as you don't have kids or a M-F luggage haul, it's awesome. People complain about rowing the gears in stop and go traffic, but it doesn't bother me.
That's awesome. The climate I'm in is probably not as nice as yours, as we get snow dumps for ~4 months, but that's what the other car is for lol. Got a pic of your car? Specs?

I've driven an NB.. god, the shifting felt so, so good. And the car felt very spritely. I used to autocross a bit in my very first car (an 87 camry lol), would love to get back into some type of motorsport, and for that a miata as a second car would be perfect. Only question is if I can afford it, or at least, how long I have to save up.

N-Bomb

You know, someone's already explained multi-quote to you. Use it.

All those are horribly rice-y. I don't care if you are going to spend 324040404 dollars on this to make it awesome under the hood - all of these make it look like 30 clowns are going to get out of it when it stops. At least dignify it with a decent paint job.

You posted in between when I collected them all and submitted, so gth.

Your idea of a decent paint job is some unassuming, indistinct old-man colour that fades in to the crowd. There are other colours beside grey, silver, beige, smoke, and ice.

PseudoKirby said:
N-bomb didn't you say yours was a sedan? White looks wonderful on Sedan GCs.

Yes. The first car I looked at was actually a '93 that the dude had already done an STi swap into. It was white. Honestly, white cars don't really do it for me. My friend's MS6 is white, and while it looks nice, it's just terribly boring-looking at the same time. Nothing really stands out with white :\

Circle T

You posted in between when I collected them all and submitted, so gth.

Your idea of a decent paint job is some unassuming, indistinct old-man colour that fades in to the crowd. There are other colours beside grey, silver, beige, smoke, and ice.

This is a 4 door Impreza we're talking about, right? Maybe it's just the "old-man" in me, but anything other than the basics on a car like that just look way out of place.

N-Bomb

N-bomb didn't you say yours was a sedan? White looks wonderful on Sedan GCs.

This is a 4 door Impreza we're talking about, right? Maybe it's just the "old-man" in me, but anything other than the basics on a car like that just look way out of place.

I don't disagree with you in general, but it's pretty much the same body shell as the coupe. The floor pan is exactly the same, with the only real difference being the location of the B-pillar and the different doors and appropriate interior pieces. The look is 95% the same.

Should note that pretty much every WRC version since the early 2000s have been sedans (and that they dropped the coupe entirely starting in 2002. It really only had like a 5 year run, and I actually think it looks a bit ungainly from some angles, compared to the sedan)

Subaru-Impreza-WRC-2003_7.jpg

mr2xxx

Banned
Alright, got my xbla issues out of the way. (yes, I find Forza a good way to audition paintjob ideas)

Need some opinions on paint jobs. These are the two I'm considering (and a 3rd for the hell of it.) The hood stripes I'm thinking of ditching/changing, but the ones on the side I'd like to keep. Thoughts?

black-gold.jpg

I like the color scheme behind this best but I think it could be executed better. My biggest issue is the stripe running alongside the car, try a couple different patterns.

Circle T

I don't disagree with you in general, but it's pretty much the same body shell as the coupe. The floor pan is exactly the same, with the only real difference being the location of the B-pillar and the different doors and appropriate interior pieces. The look is 95% the same.

Should note that pretty much every WRC version since the early 2000s have been sedans (and that they dropped the coupe entirely starting in 2002. It really only had like a 5 year run, and I actually think it looks a bit ungainly from some angles, compared to the sedan)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/1601/Subaru-Impreza-WRC-2003_7.jpg

I understand the differences between coupe and sedan, and I know about the rally car. A close friend of mine is very into Subarus, so I'm very familiar with the cars. My point is, regardless of the similarity to the coupe, or what the body style the Rally car was based on, your car is neither of those. It is a normal, 4-door Subaru on the outside. Doing anything other than a basic color (Black, Silver, White, etc) with no stripes is just a bit silly, IMO.

N-Bomb

I understand the differences between coupe and sedan, and I know about the rally car. A close friend of mine is very into Subarus, so I'm very familiar with the cars. My point is, regardless of the similarity to the coupe, or what the body style the Rally car was based on, your car is neither of those. It is a normal, 4-door Subaru on the outside. Doing anything other than a basic color (Black, Silver, White, etc) with no stripes is just a bit silly, IMO.

Your argument is valid. I really can't say anything against it aside from that I really don't like any of those colours except black, and basic black is boring to me. I don't want to drive another murdered-out car. I guess you don't count primary colours as basic?

Also - white gets dirty so easy. Black gets really hot really easy.

I like the color scheme behind this best but I think it could be executed better. My biggest issue is the stripe running alongside the car, try a couple different patterns.

It's really difficult to get simple lines to look right in that editor sometimes, especially on that wide-body kit. I need to play around some more. Honestly leaning towards the red at this point, although I LOVE the Lotus racing livery.

Circle T

Your argument is valid. I really can't say anything against it aside from that I really don't like any of those colours except black, and basic black is boring to me. I don't want to drive another murdered-out car. I guess you don't count primary colours as basic?

Also - white gets dirty so easy. Black gets really hot really easy.

They are basic, sure, but they just don't look good on a 4-door Subaru, IMO. WRB is fine, obviously, because it, just like gold rims, has some Subaru heritage to go on. Problem with WRB and gold is, it's a bit old hat now. That was why I suggested that silver from the RB5. It is an authentic Subaru color, but doesn't look too flashy for it's own good. Just my thought.

I had a GC8!! its was a fun daily driver....always like them better than the bug eyes.

Pretty rare in the State...most have rust issues if they were from the east coast.

Also had the head-gasket issue in those years....too bad mine didn't have it or it would have been an excuse for me to put EJ wrx swap on it...

6909823522_a1881da3f0.jpg

Zyzyxxz

So as an April Fool's joke Mini brought this to the New York Auto Show:
10-mini-yachtman.jpg

Why can't this be real? I want to sit on the roof and go fishing!

N-Bomb

I had a GC8!! its was a fun daily driver....always like them better than the bug eyes.

Pretty rare in the State...most have rust issues if they were from the east coast.

Also had the head-gasket issue in those years....too bad mine didn't have it or it would have been an excuse for me to put EJ wrx swap on it...

Man, mine looks exactly like that, aside from the hood/bumper. Yeah, was so hard to find one without major rust. Mine has minor, and still will need some repair when I repaint it.

Just wasn't worth it to import one from Cali or something. I don't have the time or resources to scout things out like that.

Yeah, I haven't had that issue, although the CEL won't go away, dealer tried to fix it twice, I finally said screw it since the engine's coming out anyway.

Ettie

Yeah, but it would be just for fun, the Matrix is all the practicality we need. And I'll be looking at an older one. I'd prefer an NB but an NA in good shape would be excellent.

That's awesome. The climate I'm in is probably not as nice as yours, as we get snow dumps for ~4 months, but that's what the other car is for lol. Got a pic of your car? Specs?

I've driven an NB.. god, the shifting felt so, so good. And the car felt very spritely. I used to autocross a bit in my very first car (an 87 camry lol), would love to get back into some type of motorsport, and for that a miata as a second car would be perfect. Only question is if I can afford it, or at least, how long I have to save up.

No pics, but if you look at any of the stock-looking cars http://www.ciottiindustries.com/gallery/?Qwd=./Miatas/NB%20Green&Qif=6UL8pmdriver.jpeg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=L there and then add in dirt and hail damage, that's what mine looks like. It's an early NB, and yes, the shifting is awesome. Car feels like an extension of my body. I've heard similar stuff from 911 drivers. Maybe that's why stop and go traffic never bothers me. I'd like to step up to the ND when it comes out, but I worry it just won't be the same. Like having the same breed of dog after one passes away. No replacement, have to move on to something else.

aznpxdd

Oh my, those E30's are so god damn sexy. Do you have a link to his page where he talks about the E30's he mods? I'd be down for a nicely built E30 M3...

Enron

Banned

This looks so much better than anything than bomb has posted.

Even if you think those colors are for silverhairs driving lexuses, all the vents and scoops and whatever your hood is going to have on it will make certain that's not the case.

And those kinds of cars always look better with paint jobs that don't hide the details/lines. Silver or white or yellow something would show them up better than dark blue, black, red.

This looks so much better than anything than bomb has posted.

Even if you think those colors are for silverhairs driving lexuses, all the vents and scoops and whatever your hood is going to have on it will make certain that's not the case.

And those kinds of cars always look better with paint jobs that don't hide the details/lines. Silver or white or yellow something would show them up better than dark blue, black, red.

All my cars are usually white...

ever since I got a championship white Integra type R it became an obsession with white cars...

JDM front end + all the spoon parts you can think of..
5466034413_d3761931aa_z.jpg

NSX #1 mostly NSX-R parts.
5466075645_7631cfbe1d_z.jpg

NSX #2 all stock
4804344508_7f73597122_z.jpg

Oh my, those E30's are so god damn sexy. Do you have a link to his page where he talks about the E30's he mods? I'd be down for a nicely built E30 M3...

I sure do. You want me to PM you some links and his phone #? He's in San Diego btw, not sure how far that is for you, but it's less than an hour from me.

AcridMeat

Banned
All this talk about Subarus...I found a 99 2.5RS with 74k miles. GAHHH, but he wants way too much for it.

This is what happens, stuck in the void of craigslist browsing.

All this talk about Subarus...I found a 99 2.5RS with 74k miles. GAHHH, but he wants way too much for it.

Yeah, they're rare in good condition. Buy that shit and turn it into an RSTi. 2600 lbs, AWD, 300-400 whp? Yes please.

wow thats pretty low mile for a 99 2.5RS but the later models had the LSD and better bumper...but if you will be doing a swap, it wouldn't matter.

N-Bomb

I don't have the means to do a swap at the moment. As I said they're asking too much. What would be a good price to try to get it down to? I already checked the KBB.

price is actually not that bad!! IF it is in good condition(no rust) and the head gasket issue has been resolved.

Thats pretty rare for that mileage plus its a cali car....

if the head gasket issue was fixed then 6k would be an OK price.

I honestly wouldn't pay more trhan $5000-5500. I got mine from a dealer for $4500 all in, and even that was pushing it a bit. But mine's just an L, an RS I think would be worth a bit more, but not $6000.

I honestly wouldn't pay more trhan $5000-5500. I got mine from a dealer for $4500 all in, and even that was pushing it a bit. But mine's just an L, an RS I think would be worth a bit more, but not $6000.

Its all relative....In Cali the rs2.5 is popular and rare. If the condition is excellent + with the low mileage, it will demand a premium.

N-Bomb

oh gawwd, all dat jdm.

Just 2 more years and she's mine..

TS_01112008_144.jpg

I've been on-and-off considering a JDM import for years, but it always comes back to RHD. I've driven in Scotland, and it works well there where everyone else is doing the same, but man. Here? I can't imagine it.

Right turns would be dangerous, you'd be tending to pass on the right, drive throughs would be inaccessable, probably more. Is this something you're willing to deal with? :eek:

ameratsu

I've been on-and-off considering a JDM import for years, but it always comes back to RHD. I've driven in Scotland, and it works well there where everyone else is doing the same, but man. Here? I can't imagine it.

Right turns would be dangerous, you'd be tending to pass on the right, drive throughs would be inaccessable, probably more. Is this something you're willing to deal with? :eek:

I've been driving a RHD in Canada for years. It's like any other car once you get used to it.

Why would right turns be dangerous? The biggest issues are passing on two-lane highways and left hand turns, which you quickly learn to negotiate safely.

ameratsu

oh gawwd, all dat jdm.

Just 2 more years and she's mine..

TS_01112008_144.jpg

I can see the draw, but from owning a RHD myself -- I bet it would be a pain in the ass to have to source something like a new window or random unique parts that could break on that evo. Maybe you have a source for parts in Japan or elsewhere, but if you don't, I would seriously look into how hard it is to get parts from Mitsubishi Japan and other JDM suppliers. I would expect long turnarounds and expensive shipping for parts unless you have something like a Skyline GTR or GTS-T that has a sizable following in Canada.

You will also want to track down a JDM version of Mitsubishi ASA for looking up part numbers as well.

Yes please. I'm in LA when I'm back in USA, so its not TOO far.

I'll just send you my Google Voice # and you can text/call with questions. So far everything is going really well. This guy is BADASS too. He's owned two Ferrari 360's, a Gallardo, several E30 M3's (including one with S50 swap)... he's cool as shit.

N-Bomb

I've been driving a RHD in Canada for years. It's like any other car once you get used to it.

Why would right turns be dangerous? The biggest issues are passing on two-lane highways and left hand turns, which you quickly learn to negotiate safely.

Well, at least in an urban setting, corners are usually pretty cluttered with people/newspaper boxes/bus stops/etc... and your angle of view is much more restricted than if you were in the left seat. Just my experience anyway - if you can take it, more power to ya. I can't.

N-Bomb

The Altima is hideous. Them bulging features.

Plus the fat-version Lexus grill. I wish car companies would quit with the retarded corporate grill notion and just make attractive cars.

But yeah, if there's one word I had to use to describe this new generation of Nissans and Infinitis, it would be 'pudgy'.

Zyzyxxz

I'll just send you my Google Voice # and you can text/call with questions. So far everything is going really well. This guy is BADASS too. He's owned two Ferrari 360's, a Gallardo, several E30 M3's (including one with S50 swap)... he's cool as shit.

I must be there for this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom