• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

wiiubannerk1i9y.png

t1338922800z4.png

Chuggachuggachuggachuggachugga woowoo! All aboard! The fourth thread discussing the Wii U is about to leave the station. The fourth one Nintendo-GAF? Seriously dudes, that’s weird. Nah, we just like Nintendo. As always this thread is a collection of all sorts of rumours, confirmations and all things regarding the Wii U. Join the discussion and have some fun! Be nice or else: Nintendo ninjas do exist.

Speculation thread 1
Speculation thread 2
Speculation thread 3

The Rumours:

Nintendo is targeting, at a bare minimum, 1GB of RAM.
Nintendo is working to optimize popular third party engines.
The amount of RAM used for the OS is "surprising". Could change with optimization.

By BlackNMild2k1:

Rumour Consolidation 2011
Rumour Consolidation 2012

Information on Nintendo Network:

Wii U:
  • User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
  • NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
  • Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."

General:
  • Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
  • Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
  • Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
  • Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
  • DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
  • More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
  • Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
  • Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
  • Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."

Latest news stories:

Nintendo licenses Havok, Gameware for Wii U
Nintendo no longer using 1t-SRAM. Puts how BC is achieved in question.
Aliens Colonial Marines has so much more to offer on Wii U
Nintendo on Wii U Power: “We don’t focus on specs”
Anonymous dev: Wii U games look just as good as PS3, but are still less capable. AI, psychics likely to suffer
Ubisoft wants to be the no. 1 third party publisher on Wii U
“RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U”

- Confirmed games in development:
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Monolith Soft Wii U project, Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
  • Assassin’s Creed III, Killer Freaks from Outer Space, Ghost Recon Online (Ubisoft)
  • Lego City Stories (Travellers Tales, Published by Nintendo)
  • Darksiders II, Metro Last Light (THQ)
  • Batman Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Aliens Colonial Marines (Sega)
  • Dragon Quest X Online (Square-Enix)
  • Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Project Cars (Slightly Mad Studios)
  • DiRT, F1 (Codemasters)

- Rumoured games/studios working on Wii U software:
  • Retro Studios (Nintendo)
  • EA (Sports titles, MoH Warfighter, Overstrike, Visceral Games)
  • Capcom (“Action game” listing)
  • Activision (Viscarious Visions, James Bond 007 Skyfall)
  • Sega (Sonic, Sonic & Sega All Star Racing)
  • Bandai-Namco (Ridge Racer, Tekken)
  • Rumoured studios: Crytek, Shin’en
  • Deep Silver Inc. (multiple titles)
  • LucasArts (action/adventure title, MMO)
  • Zen Studios (probably Marvel Pinball)
  • Rebellion (multiple titles)
  • Maximum Family Games, LLC. (racing title)

Thanks to Rösti for the banner!

… oh what the hell

99Ujc.png

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hello there :)

Hoping the Thread 4 will bring us tons of interesting info concerning the Wii U !

I'll have some tidbits to disclose here and there.

Let's board the hype trainnnnnnnn !!!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow! Hey all.
Let's start this thread with some earth-shattering Wii U news.........

Anyone?

orioto

Good Art™
Hello there :)

Hoping the Thread 4 will bring us tons of interesting info concerning the Wii U !

I'll have some tidbits to disclose here and there.

Let's board the hype trainnnnnnnn !! These are the last stations before the big explosion !

You should unleash something to open the new thread

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
For Rumoured games/studios working on Wii U software, you could add these:

Deep Silver Inc. (multiple titles)
LucasArts (action/adventure title, MMO)
Zen Studios (probably Marvel Pinball)
Rebellion (multiple titles)
Maximum Family Games, LLC. (racing title)

Source: http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

While not exactly rumors, we have no firm information.

AzaK

Reposting cause it was on last page and is already forgotten and will be imminently locked:

<snip>
Random question of madness relating to this "hybrid" Wii U tech that's been speculated about. Is it possible there's an APU or some OpenCL capable shit in there as well? I'd imagine someone here would have mentioned it already if there was. Especially given all the Orbis talk etc.

Second, less random question: What benefit does adding some extra dedicated silicon for a particular job give us (Let's say, lighting)? I thought shaders were damned optimal and with latency hiding etc they're hitting about 1cycle anyway? I hope the only benefit isn't something like cost or heat and it's actually performance.
</snip>

Sorry for spammage.

Oh god what day does that happen??
26th US time so I think we'll get info on the 27th US.

There's something special about a new Nintendo console's unveiling. Makes me feel like a kid again.
I know how you feel, it's like the last number of my age just disappeared.

HylianTom

Banned
I say we start with predictions. It'll be fun to see where the community was at this point in time.

Price?
Release date?
1st party launch titles?
Bullshit xbox360 multiplier equivalent?
E3 Surprise?

$300
Nov 18th
Pikmin 3, Wii ____, Super Mario Wii, Miyamoto IP
2.5 xbox360s
Haptics!

Your turn!

tkbq1.gif

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the game industry but you gaffers do not. You create new threads that multiply and multiply until the vbulletin post cap is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another thread. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Wii-U threads are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and the Wii-U itself is the cure.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I say we start with predictions. It'll be fun to see where the community was at this point in time.

Price?
Release date?
1st party launch titles?
E3 Surprise?

$300
November 18
Super Mario Mii, Measure Up, Pikmin 3, Steel Diver 2
1.6x
Vitality Sensor!!!

Price?
Release date?
1st party launch titles?
E3 Surprise?

Your turn!

Fine jeez!
$300-350
November sometime
Pikmin 3, Excite/Wave Race, New Super Mario Bros. Mii, Wii U ____
0.252x
Something fucking awesome...maybe.