• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold PS3, feel relieved

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I remember when I was kid, my parents used to get me a game every 4-8 months, the wait between games was long and hard. Because of that traumatic childhood, I now buy every game I see that has a sweet sale price, and shelf-it. Because of my obligations to scholarity, I have to wait until the summer to play a couple of the backlogged. But it's nice to see a collection of colors pertaining to the box-arts.

I would never self my PS3 because of a backlog, you just made a grave mistake there sir, you will regret it in due time, once you burn that money.

Makes sense, as long as you learn something.

I mean, it comes across as fairly dumb, selling something because it has too much you want to play. On the other hand, backlogs are fairly dumb, too. It therefore also seems fairly reasonable to suggest it didn't have much you wanted to play, because otherwise, you would actually be playing the games instead of letting them stack up.

Anyway, the lesson: stop buying games you don't tend to play immediately.

I'm currently behind on renovating my house. Perhaps I should demolish a few of the rooms to save myself some stress?

Strange method, but if you really couldn't deal with the clutter and backlog, I suppose fair enough. 15 games isn't huge though.

d0c_zaius

buys games, doesnt play them.

sells console, feels relieved?

Looks like games weren't fun for you and just something to check off of a list.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So seriously...why the hell did you not just sell the games?

The fact that you have yet to address that is the only thing keeping me in this thread ;P

I have probably about 12-15 unfinished PS3 games as well but if I know I won't finish them, I would sooner sell the games that the entire system lol

Confused!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when I was kid, my parents used to get me a game every 4-8 months, the wait between games was long and hard. Because of that traumatic childhood, I now buy every game I see that has a sweet sale price, and shelf-it. Because of my obligations to scholarity, I have to wait until the summer to play a couple of the backlogged. But it's nice to see a collection of colors pertaining to the box-arts.

I would never self my PS3 because of a backlog, you just made a grave mistake there sir, you will regret it in due time, once you burn that money.

Yeah, I only got 1 - 3 games a year as a kid. I played the hell out of them, though, hah. I remember Mario 64 was the only N64 I had between launch and bought November 17, 1997, when I bought Starfox 64. A year and two months with only one new game! Luckily I still had my SNES.

It´s funny to see a thread when people react against people not wanting a backlog. Usually on Neogaf any thread about backlogs gets 6-7 pages with "yeah, me too. :(" answers.

Teknoman

I love having a huge backlog. It means that whenever I'm in the mood to play a certain kind of game, I have a variety to choose from. I don't HAVE to play the last game I bought to completion if I'm not feeling like it. Just because I don't feel like playing something right now, or even for many years, doesn't mean I'm not going to play it in the future. *has games she owned for ten years before completing*

Exactly. Play what you want, when you want. Its not a race...unless its some sort of title with MP you really like, then you might want to jump in every so often to avoid getting rusty. Single player stuff though, play when you want.

On the subject of selling systems in general, I wouldnt do it unless you need the cash. Chances are, something will release down the line that is exclusive...and then you'll want to buy the system again just to play it. Or in the case of older systems, you might not be able to find one in good condition for a normal price.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
Just sold my complete backlog, couldn't be bothered looking at it gloating from the shelf any longer 140ish games gone!
Left myself with a few shmups and my hack n slashes (games I do enjoy playing)

New rule: buy 1 game at a time, sell or trade to pay for the next one

wifes happier now too

Hex

Banned
It´s funny to see a thread when people react against people not wanting a backlog. Usually on Neogaf any thread about backlogs gets 6-7 pages with "yeah, me too. :(" answers.

Nobody is reacting about not wanting to have a backlog.
It is the ......unique way the op chose to relieve their backlog and the general not so subtle air to the thread that is getting the reactions that it is.

I say good for you op, good for you.
That will show that backlog who is boss.

Lingitiz

This is a weird way of thinking. I have a sizeable backlog, not made any easier by long games like Fallout New Vegas, but I have never felt like its a burden. If anything, a backlog should be an exciting feeling because you have a whole bunch of games to experience, without ever worrying about having nothing to play.

If playing games ever becomes a burden to the point where you actively want to get rid of them, maybe you don't really like games anymore.

ahhhhhh...

Backlog: 15 games down in one minute.

PS3: no longer stares reaproachfully from under my table.

The sense of relief: unmatched.

Has somebody sold a console just because of a huge backlog?

no PC vs console arguments in this thread please

Hate the backlog feeling, I put my PS3 and games in the closet recently. (Not selling it though, that would be a waste.)

i-Lo

I guess this why I quit my education. It was impossible to learn everything. My books were collecting dust so I sold them, made money and moved on. I am peace now. Ignorance is bliss.

XD

I've thought about this... with the amount of time I have for gaming, owning all 3 consoles is too much. My backlog keeps growing and I'm least invested in the PS3 so i suppose it would be the logical choice. Still I don't see myself ever doing it.

Next gen though I will probably try to stick to one console.

This is a great attitude to have and yes, I very rarely buy multiple games at once. I'm just saying if you keep an eye out for sales/deals on things that interest you, they are EVERYWHERE. Like some recent examples, I just got Fallout for free from GOG (deal is no longer going on), that's a game I always wanted to try. I found a copy of Contact last month for $5, another one I wanted to play. I'm thinking about getting Yakuza 4 from Newegg for $15, because the price on Yakuza 3 already went up from where it was before. Balancing time is always an issue, but if you're enough of an enthusiast to post on messageboards about videogames, you can't help running into tons of deals for tons of games you want to play.
I guess it helps that I live in Canada and our newegg and amazon isn't nearly as good as america.

smr00

Banned
ahhhhhh...

Backlog: 15 games down in one minute.

PS3: no longer stares reaproachfully from under my table.

The sense of relief: unmatched.

Has somebody sold a console just because of a huge backlog?

no PC vs console arguments in this thread please
Why would i sell a $300 console just because i have a backlog? I have well over 40 blu-rays i haven't got around to watching should i just sell my 55" samsung and blu-ray player because i have a large backlog? the best part about a backlog is you always have something to play, something to watch.. Just learn to manage your game buying, back in 08-09 i had a crazy backlog now i just wait for games to be $10-20 and buy them, instead of buying all the AAA titles from last oct-nov i just waited for them to drop to avoid the backlog, no point in dropping $60 for a game you are going to throw in a pile and not play for months.

Or better yet, if you aren't a fan of backlogs simply don't buy new games until you finish the ones you have, it's not like these games are going to impossible to find 2 months, 8 months or a year later, they will be even cheaper by then so to answer your question no, i have never sold anything due to backlog and never will because i don't enjoy throwing away hard earned money. I don't mind backlogs because it means i always have something to do when i don't have plans, like i said if you can't stand backlogs then just don't let it happen, it's not like backlogs magically happen, it happens because you throw money at too many games, whats the point in spending $60 on a game you might not play for 3 months? that game can be $10 used in 3 months, $29.99 new in 3 months. I just bought Batman Arkham City for $10 because i waited, had nothing to play and i will have it finished before Witcher 2 comes out.

i-Lo

In a way having a backlog gives you a great incentive to keep on playing on the existing console instead of jumping on the next gen right away when it arrives. I was an early adopter for PS3 but I don't think I'll repeat that for the next. Primarily because I have over 20 games for PS3 and 360 combined that I have yet to play. And by the time, I am ready, I assume that price of the new console/s would have dropped.

30 uninstalled? Pfft. That's nothing

LjoLW.gif

The sad part is, I know there's people with an even more impressive number uninstalled.

Throwing away money on games you'll never play is impressive?

I've never sold a system to get rid of a backlog but I have sold large amounts of games at a time. As little as I play my PS3 I couldn't get rid of it because I know there will be something I want to play. Tales of Graces f, for example, is making me glad I've never gotten rid of the system despite the temptation to do so in the past.

How the fuck do people get backlog of 10+ games? Why not just buy one game at a time. Saves some money too buying it cheaper later.

I have a backlog of hundred of games, maybe even a thousand. Literally. PC games, PS3 games, PS2 games, PSX games, Vita Games, iPhone...

Steam sales, iPhone sales, and PSN+ didn't helped, but when I play a game (specially if it's a long one) and another game that I want launch, I usually don't have the will of waiting weeks of months to buy it. I get the new one and I play it. I couldn't wait months to play Uncharted 3, when it got released, because I already didn't finish Skyrim, for example.

they are a reminder of my weak will

I can understand that but if 15 games makes you feel weak then my back log would devour your soul, its easily 50+ (safe estimation) across multiple consoles from multiple generations. I don't sell my consoles I just box them up, like my 360 thats been collecting dust. I know at some point gaming will change too much for me so I will likely need this back log.

Katzii

I have sold a console before, but not because of backlog. I found myself using my 360 less and less, there were no games coming out for it that I wanted to play that I couldn't get on the PS3 (whereas there were PS3 games I wanted that wouldn't get to the 360), and any games I had for it that I wanted to keep (all of about two), I could get on the PC.

I tend to only buy games at release if I really REALLY want them (in other words, if I would put down every other game I'm playing to play them). Otherwise, I tend to wait for a price drop. Then once I'm done with a game, I decide whether I'd play it again or not, and then get rid of it if I won't. Easy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I traded mine in too, because I finally got a Blu Ray player that didn't demand to be updated on the rare occasion that I watched a Blu Ray. And then, and this is true, on the way home, I remembered Journey was coming out in three days.

Feels bad, man.

Dylan

This raises a good question: When is the best time to sell a PS3?

There is probably an apex of some theoretical curve where the sell-back price of a PS3 starts to rapidly diminish as the PS4 approaches.

kamspy

I sold mine because I figured the big exclusives were slowing down. Didn't want to keep it to play 2-3 games a year on it.

This raises a good question: When is the best time to sell a PS3?

There is probably an apex of some theoretical curve where the sell-back price of a PS3 starts to rapidly diminish as the PS4 approaches.

I did factor this in too. Figured if anyone showed anything at E3 value would plummet.

Top Bottom