• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really kinda sad that all the stuff here are all Japanese. Granted the PR equivalent sucks but hey, like I said, point to RPM.

Oh and you guys know Aquabats?

They weren't liquid.

Even if they were liquid and they fought them with bullets, it still wouldn't work.

Samurai's use swords. Always.

Or did they just live in water lol. I do recall they 'dried' up after a time limit.

idk, there is this weird squishy feeling whenever they fight guys without using 'toku beam of light swing'.

The thing with Aquabats is that, from what I can tell, it's more in line with the 60s Batman show than any of the Japanese stuff and we need to have something of a definition of what actually goes in the thread (which at the moment seems to be "Japanese or adapted from/clearly inspired by the Japanese stuff", a definition I'm happy with) otherwise we're just "live action shows/movies with special effects GAF" which is, well, amazingly broad in terms of what it covers.

As far as current live action American shows go, though, my understanding is that Supah Ninjas is supposed to be okay, though I've not seen any of it myself.

Wiseblade

The thing with Aquabats is that, from what I can tell, it's more in line with the 60s Batman show than any of the Japanese stuff and we need to have something of a definition of what actually goes in the thread (which at the moment seems to be "Japanese or adapted from/clearly inspired by the Japanese stuff", a definition I'm happy with) otherwise we're just "live action shows/movies with special effects GAF" which is, well, amazingly broad in terms of what it covers.

As far as current live action American shows go, though, my understanding is that Supah Ninjas is supposed to be okay, though I've not seen any of it myself.

:/

Boss Doggie

I dunno, I thought Aquabats has some typical henshin hero stuff like transforming.

So um I began watching Gokaiger.

So after 12 eps, I said goddamn Marvelous! Why you so marvelous?!

Why you so badass Joe?!

Pirates & popped collars?!

Hyped henshin shout outs all the time?!

Oh and yo Gokaiger Yellow? Girl you some real nice eye candy ~

I...ugh...hnghghghgh

ReiGun

Oh and yo Gokaiger Yellow? Girl you some real nice eye candy ~

You have excellent taste, my friend.

Luka_Millfy.PNG

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've only watched a few episodes but I don't think it's very "toku". It's not really that good either.

no it isnt. good or toku. theres very little special effects for a show of its style.

the troop was more fitting, but i havent seen that show in forever so i assume its been cancelled.

Slayven

no it isnt. good or toku. theres very little special effects for a show of its style.

the troop was more fitting, but i havent seen that show in forever so i assume its been cancelled.

yeah the the Troop was good, they started airing it at random times.

shaowebb

Just finished Decade and the movies and I gotta agree with the going opinion on it. Its fun, but its a clusterfuck ending. Best quote I've seen about the ending was "So...so does this mean Kamen Rider Kivaara is the strongest Rider ever now?"

lol

Started watching Kamen Rider W tonight since it came up in both of Decade's ending films and since I'd already heard about and looked up Kamen Rider Skull who looks smooth as hell.

All I can say after this first two episodes is that
  • The fanfics between the two main guys Philip and Shotaro are likely endless
  • This series had to be a merchandising GOLDMINE

That last thought is the biggest thought I've had for awhile and upon seeing only two episodes I feel I have to be right on this. Dude can mix and match powers and his half and half suit changes color schemes every time. That means that anyone wanting Kamen Rider W figurines can be sold multiple figurines because of all the various outfits the main rider can wear (thought the same thing about Kuuga). Plus the main guy uses tech like the bat, wrist zipline, and other things that all look like flashy toys. In addition to that he has a transforming bike with several forms that all transform into different stuff and a transforming carrier vehicle for those to be housed in.
All that appeared within two episodes of Kamen Rider W. Also he has both a staff and a gun to sell as toys too. Plus you can sell fedora's :D
cSsM8.jpg

YK5gJ.jpg

3f8P1.jpg

All the monies...

I'm liking it so far. After this I'll either go and check out OOO, Kabuto, Ryuki or Kuuga. Haven't decided yet what to go for.

Thanks for making these threads tokuGAF. I've wanted to get into Kamen Rider for awhile now and these threads helped me to figure out where to start...and then I apparently still went with Decade just to see a bunch of riders at once instead lol.

vareon

That last thought is the biggest thought I've had for awhile and upon seeing only two episodes I feel I have to be right on this. Dude can mix and match powers and his half and half suit changes color schemes every time. That means that anyone wanting Kamen Rider W figurines can be sold multiple figurines because of all the various outfits the main rider can wear (thought the same thing about Kuuga). Plus the main guy uses tech like the bat, wrist zipline, and other things that all look like flashy toys. In addition to that he has a transforming bike with several forms that all transform into different stuff and a transforming carrier vehicle for those to be housed in.
All that appeared within two episodes of Kamen Rider W. Also he has both a staff and a gun to sell as toys too. Plus you can sell fedora's :D.

Kamen Rider OOO and his 119 combos laughed all his way to bank.

kOcPM.jpg

WillyFive

Have Saban announced what they're doing after Samurai?

They apparently got Toei to film a new version of the Legend War with only the Power Rangers teams, and they got around to casting the main cast for the Goseiger adaptation; but nothing else seems to have surfaced after Samurai got a 'second season'. We don't even know if Goseiger will still be adapted at this point.

Nothing came up after Power Rider was copyrighted either.

Only thing we know is coming up from Saban right now is the rest of Samurai, and the release of the previous seasons and Samurai on DVD.

Slayven

I loved when the "second season" announcement dropped. Folks went apeshit, dreaming up wild stuff like Saban creating new footage, villains, etc. I

Kamen Rider W is the first Kamen Rider series I actually started and finished. The first one I started was Kiva....and I just can't bring myself to finish it. I fell in love with Kamen Rider W though and I actually started Gokaiger right after I finished Kamen Rider W. I've tried several other different series and haven't found myself to enjoy them as much as these 2 different series. I actually plan on checkin out more once I completely finish Gokaiger haha figured checking out this thread would be a good "update" as to what is out and what people with similar interests have enjoyed

Boss Doggie

So... theories?

Ryusei didn't really kill Gentarou but put him in a death-like state which he can awaken from.

Cosmo States fills Gentarou's dead body with its power.

Wiseblade

So... theories?

Ryusei didn't really kill Gentarou but put him in a death-like state which he can awaken from.

Definitely the second, maybe the first.

And I can't believe you missed the obvious "it's theory time!" joke. :p

So... theories?

Gentarou got the silent clock at the end...so that must mean he's really dead. :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So like, what's a good place to start with sentai? I watched the Gavan crossed over and liked it, should I start with Gokaiger? Like, does it matter that I just want to watch specific seasons through? Dairanger also interests me since those costumes never never came over in PR.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So like, what's a good place to start with sentai? I watched the Gavan crossed over and liked it, should I start with Gokaiger? Like, does it matter that I just want to watch specific seasons through? Dairanger also interests me since those costumes never never came over in PR.

no, it doesnt matter which season you start in. most toku shows run solo but crossover with certain series at times. are you going for a specific type of series?

Gokaiger's a fantastic place to start. A cool cast, has some great action and shows off a lot of past suits/powers.

It doesn't really matter where you start, though. Every season is self-contained so you can just jump in on whatever looks interesting to you.

WillyFive

Start with Gokaiger. It's the perfect place to start. It gives you a taste of almost every show in the series, as well as being a top tier TV show by itself.

shaowebb

I really enjoy the self contained nature to tokusatsu shows. If they tried to tie together too many shows or continue a story it'd eventually alienate different generations and a lot of people. Its why this has worked so well IMO. Same premise of someone transforming into a hero to stop unnatural threats is used, but they can take that core concept and re-create it in numerous diffferent ways forever. If someone enjoys the core elements of other shows then they will likely tune in for a new series. It just works.

I'm utterly shocked America hasn't tried to create a kind of superhero show like this that they can recreate core elements of for new shows every other year. The Kamen Rider premise begat so many different rider series and the Super Sentai premise begat so many Ranger series....there should really be someone looking at this design model for mechandisable live action shows in America. Its definitely proven to work.

WillyFive

I really enjoy the self contained nature to tokusatsu shows. If they tried to tie together too many shows or continue a story it'd eventually alienate different generations and a lot of people. Its why this has worked so well IMO. Same premise of someone transforming into a hero to stop unnatural threats is used, but they can take that core concept and re-create it in numerous diffferent ways forever. If someone enjoys the core elements of other shows then they will likely tune in for a new series. It just works.

I'm utterly shocked America hasn't tried to create a kind of superhero show like this that they can recreate core elements of for new shows every other year. The Kamen Rider premise begat so many different rider series and the Super Sentai premise begat so many Ranger series....there should really be someone looking at this design model for mechandisable live action shows in America. Its definitely proven to work.

The problem is in the culture.

They feel that taking the formula and making a new show out of it is the same as a rip-off, which is why people are very apprehensive and have very negative opinions of new Power Rangers shows even though they have never seen them. The new shows are just not what they think Power Rangers "is" to them, which is Tommy and Jason and Kimberly; not a five person color-coded fighting squad with giant robots.

They stick to the characters, rather than the concept. It's why we are still remaking Batman and Superman to this day, despite they first appearing almost a century ago; instead of demanding and supporting new stuff.

Everyone is telling you to start with Gokaiger, and while it's a SICK show, I kinda hope that you get to see a bunch of other Sentai shows instead first...because then when you get to Gokaiger, its nostalgia overload...there's also a spoiler here or there for series. Maybe start with Shinkenger? That's modern and very well liked. The characters are super likable and there are some great moments there.

Then maybe Dekaranger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Abaranger (if you can put up with HK subs), Gaoranger, Liveman. Once you get to know a lot of shows, THEN go for Gokaiger and enjoy seeing all your old friends come back and see where they end up in the universe. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom