• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

dIEHARD
Fleer
(04-15-2012, 03:21 AM)
to lose a game because of free throws and they got hot from 3.. so frustrating.
Black Mamba
(04-15-2012, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackace

But guess wat they are getting PAID to play..

Yeah, and they don't have to play on the national team. It's 100% their choice.

Just like they can choose to play pickup at the gym. But hey, the USOC will pay for all their travel, hotel, food, among other things while they visit a foreign country and experience shit.

WAAAAAHHHHHHH
white dynamite
(04-15-2012, 03:22 AM)
What the...why didn't the Jazz go for 3's at the end?
KingGondo
(04-15-2012, 03:23 AM)
90% of Barea's basketball value is his ability to pester opposing players. Ugh.
ph33nix
MWO
(04-15-2012, 03:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Canuck76

I can see how you guys have a point but I'm not buying this "it's a business they should split up the money". Athletes also get great exposure to the world in the olympics and that itself fuels sales for their own jerseys and worth.

I completely disagree with "They should go because they receive those benefits"

I get paid a hell of a lot less and I can relate. There's this notorious gig offer for musicians in the classical world that's gotten posted, where a restaurant manager asked like a string instrument group "Come play at my restaurant and you may eat our food, we can't pay you but your exposure to all our clients will benefit you!"

The appropriate response?

"Come make food for my friends and family for free. It'll gain exposure for your restaurant."

Originally Posted by Black Mamba

WAAAAAHHHHHHH

I still don't get what that's for
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:24 AM)

Actually I'm pretty sure if you set up an international plumbing competition where you can win a gold medal, travel somewhere exotic, and watch all the other construction industry competitions for free, plumbers would be all over that.

Not if the water companies plastered the competition with their marketing and made tons of money out of it, while they spend money aquiring plumbing equipment to fix the pipes.
Black Mamba
(04-15-2012, 03:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Emwitus

Not if the water companies plastered the competition with their marketing and made tons of money out of it, while they use all they spend money aquiring plumbing equipment to fix the pipes.

NBA players pay for the basketballs and jerseys?

It's practically a free vacation with pickup games on a worldwide stage...
KingGondo
(04-15-2012, 03:26 AM)
How the fuck is that an offensive foul?
CoffeeJanitor
(04-15-2012, 03:27 AM)
wolves don't even get a draft pick this year

smh jazz
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:27 AM)

Their bodies are their instruments of trade. They have to maintain them for their living. They could get injured right? No?
ph33nix
MWO
(04-15-2012, 03:28 AM)

Pickup games?

lol
giri
(04-15-2012, 03:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackace

Other countries pay their athletes to join the Olympics.. So really all this do for free stuff is silly

Who?
ItWasMeantToBe19
(04-15-2012, 03:30 AM)
That was pretty rough. Good games from most guys, but just didn't have enough.

What the...why didn't the Jazz go for 3's at the end?

Hayward is the only guy on the team who can hit threes.
Last edited by ItWasMeantToBe19; 04-15-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Canuck76
Banned
(04-15-2012, 03:31 AM)

And a chance to plan your failed free agent power trio's

HEY-OH!
Black Mamba
(04-15-2012, 03:31 AM)

Their bodies are their instruments of trade. They have to maintain them for their living. They could get injured right? No?

And how do they maintain them? They play pickup games all summer. They don't just sit on their ass all summer (well, Raymond Felton does).

And again, no one forces them to do it. They choose to do it.

they're just as likely to be hurt playing at the Olympics as they are in pickup games at home.

But they have a chance to sell their brand at one, not the other.

Pickup games?

lol

Bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:32 AM)

And how do they maintain them? They play pickup games all summer. They don't just sit on their ass all summer (well, Raymond Felton does).

And again, no one forces them to do it. They choose to do it.

they're just as likely to be hurt playing at the Olympics as they are in pickup games at home.

But they have a chance to sell their brand at one, not the other.

So who profits from those pick up games? Geez. They also go out to walmart and use their legs i gues.
Black Mamba
(04-15-2012, 03:36 AM)

So who profits from those pick up games? Geez. They also go out to walmart and use their legs i gues.

They are having all their meals/travel/lodging and even entertainment provided for. That's their compensation.

And again, it's their fucking choice. I'd be against the NBA requiring it, but if they have a say, then I see no reason for them to be paid.

Furthermore, it's not even definite anyone really profits off them. NBC is predicted to lose money, IIRC, on their Olympic deal (at the least it's a big gamble). The research on products like Coke is iffy. I dunno if Nike really makes much profit.

And of course, the USOC is non-profit. They license to pay for it all. Is it really that important to take away from what they provide?
ph33nix
MWO
(04-15-2012, 03:37 AM)

If Kobe's there you think anyone's gonna be messing around a whole ton? The team will be doing work...most of the games are a cakewalk for them and I'm sure they have a ton of fun and free time but it's not just a vacation

This whole discussion is just now coming down to "I don't like/don't care that someone said they should get paid"
Diprosalic
(04-15-2012, 03:38 AM)

Furthermore, it's not even definite anyone really profits off them. NBC is predicted to lose money, IIRC, on their Olympic deal (at the least it's a big gamble). The research on products like Coke is iffy. I dunno if Nike really makes much profit.

you really think this event would happen if no one profits from it?
DY_nasty
#notmine

Originally Posted by giri

Who?

Other countries poach NBA players for international ball all the time. Russia, England... don't be surprised if Australia ponies up for LIL KYRIE in London as well.
Knux-Future
Banned

Originally Posted by Dark FaZe

Wall simply cannot play next to Crawford.

I hate our entire fo and coaching staff.

I know that feel bro...sort of. As Turner and Jrue can't play together.

Our front office actually thinks we can win...yours just doesn't give a fuck.
Canuck76
Banned
(04-15-2012, 03:43 AM)

And a chance to plan your failed free agent power trio's

HEY-OH!

Hey guys i was talking about

Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:43 AM)

They are having all their meals/travel/lodging and even entertainment provided for. That's their compensation.

And again, it's their fucking choice. I'd be against the NBA requiring it, but if they have a say, then I see no reason for them to be paid.

And of course, the USOC is non-profit. They license to pay for it all. Is it really that important to take away from what they provide?

That is how buisnesses work, they take risks with the expectations of making profit. As for the "compensation", that being the key word since they are their to entertain an audience....Is a clever way to term work puppet.

USOC is non-profit but they do get their funding from somewhere right? And who do you think provides most of it?
Last edited by Emwitus; 04-15-2012 at 03:55 AM.
pilonv1
(04-15-2012, 03:46 AM)
Clippers looked like red hot trash today, 14/30FT, were up 21-5 early, only put it away in the last few minutes.

I can easily see them going out of the playoffs in 5 games
CoffeeJanitor
(04-15-2012, 03:49 AM)
Can someone post some sources that show that all these companies are profiting off of the olympics? Not saying I don't believe it but I've never actually seen any hard proof
MorisUkunRasik
so many feels
gotta adjust my hat
(04-15-2012, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by pilonv1

Clippers looked like red hot trash today, 14/30FT, were up 21-5 early, only put it away in the last few minutes.

I can easily see them going out of the playoffs in 5 games

Memphis is gonna tap that ass.
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by CoffeeJanitor

Can someone post some sources that show that all these companies are profiting off of the olympics? Not saying I don't believe it but I've never actually seen any hard proof

Really?
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 03:52 AM)

Originally Posted by MorisUkunRasik

Memphis is gonna tap that ass.

lol. Whoever get's through the west will be tested by fire.....the hardest it's been in a while. My laker team has 66 had hard games this season.
ph33nix
MWO
(04-15-2012, 03:53 AM)

you need hard proof?

giri
(04-15-2012, 03:53 AM)

Originally Posted by DY_nasty

Other countries poach NBA players for international ball all the time. Russia, England... don't be surprised if Australia ponies up for LIL KYRIE in London as well.

Uhh, they'll just run patty mills.

I think you overestimate how much most of AU care about basketball.
DY_nasty
#notmine
(04-15-2012, 03:54 AM)

lol
ItWasMeantToBe19
(04-15-2012, 03:55 AM)
Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward have been really good post all-star break. Favors has become a really good defender and Hayward's shooting off the dribble has been great.

Al and Millsap had the best season of their career. Al passed a lot better and Millsap rebounded a lot better this year.

Kanter is still really raw and probably losing the GS pick sucks, but it really was a good year for the Jazz even if they miss the playoffs...
CoffeeJanitor
(04-15-2012, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by ph33nix

you need hard proof?

[IMG]http://veryknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/cmonman.jpg[IMG]

Well yeah, I generally need evidence before I will believe things.
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(04-15-2012, 03:58 AM)
Hard Proof
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere

Well yeah, I generally need evidence before I will believe things.

I just wanted to post that gif, might not be related to anything you said. Movie is awesome!
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats

DMczaf
(04-15-2012, 04:00 AM)

MorisUkunRasik
so many feels
gotta adjust my hat
(04-15-2012, 04:01 AM)

I just wanted to post that gif, might not be related to anything you said. Movie is awesome!

Euphoria shut the fuck up. I know that was you. I ain't even gotta look.
ratcliffja
(04-15-2012, 04:02 AM)
Sarcastically, I'm in charge.
CoffeeJanitor
(04-15-2012, 04:03 AM)
your responses are very constructive

really made some great points there
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(04-15-2012, 04:04 AM)

NBC paid $4.4 billion for the TV rights for the Olympics? Where do you think all that money is going? And why would NBC pay that much if they weren't looking to make more money off of them?
Darkman M
(04-15-2012, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by DMczaf

Perfect.
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(04-15-2012, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

NBC paid $4.4 billion for the TV rights for the Olympics? Where do you think all that money is going? And why would NBC pay that much if they weren't looking to make more money off of them?

Charity? lol
h3ro
(04-15-2012, 04:07 AM)

Charity? lol

Jack Donaghy doesn't give no damns about no charity.
Knux-Future
Banned
(04-15-2012, 04:07 AM)

Dude....

Nike makes a gwop off of Team USA shit.

The NBA profits from having the best of it's league style on fools.

NBC ratings go through the roof.

Like c'mon that is common knowledge that people made a ton of cash of of the olympics...not just the US teams either.
Black Mamba
(04-15-2012, 04:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ph33nix

If Kobe's there you think anyone's gonna be messing around a whole ton? The team will be doing work...most of the games are a cakewalk for them and I'm sure they have a ton of fun and free time but it's not just a vacation

This whole discussion is just now coming down to "I don't like/don't care that someone said they should get paid"

Like I said, i exaggerated. Although some of those games are basically scrimmages.

Originally Posted by Diprosalic

you really think this event would happen if no one profits from it?

Yes. Happens all the fucking time. It's not that the event isn't profitable, it obviously is. It's just the valuing the event itself isn't so straight forward. NBC could profit, but if they overpaid, they won't.

I'm pretty sure is just big dick swinging, not making money. Nike profits though, probably.

That is how buisnesses work, they take risk with the expectations of making profit. As for the "compensation", that being the key word since they are their to entertain an audience....Is a clever way to term work puppet.

USOC is none-profit but they do get their funding from somewhere right? And who do you think provides most of it?

yeah, from the licensing. But they don't use that money to profit. Everything is put into paying all the expenses and providing for their charitable causes...

Players should look at it as charity to help athletes that don't make money and stuff like funding the para-Olympics and stuff.

Millionaires shouldn't be whining about the Olympics. It sounds so stupid.

I bet they overshot and won't profit. I believe they lost money on the last 2 olympics.
dIEHARD
Fleer
(04-15-2012, 04:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

they actually lose money from the Olympics, and do so knowingly.
obijkenobi
(04-15-2012, 04:09 AM)
Nash only played 6 minutes this game.
ph33nix
MWO
(04-15-2012, 04:09 AM)

Canuck76
Banned
(04-15-2012, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by MorisUkunRasik

Euphoria shut the fuck up. I know that was you. I ain't even gotta look.

Best part of the movie

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO BACK TO CRENSHAW PETE WITH HIS HOTASS COAT HANGERS?