• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

This is a great video with a lot of good explanation on what proper playing in GW2 can do. I noticed that he said you can set any skill to auto cast, so it's not just the first 5 like I thought. In the video he set his heal on auto cast, for example.

The new PvP map looks like a lot of fun.

I really hope the beta is the 20th. Hopefully the stress test went well, without any major problems.

zulfate

For me, I hope to have all of these characters.

1. Human Elementalist - normally I play a melee character first, time to switch it up... plus spells look SICK!

2. Sylvari Guardian - I like holy knight type classes & sylvari's look sick... especiall their zone.

3. Charr Ranger - I rarely make a physical damage ranged based character as well... I really like how cool the pets look.

4. Norn Engineer - Flamethrowers + Rifles are very cool... + the potions!

5. Asuran thief - probably join you on that as my pvp type character + just to have something that's an Asura.

6. Charr warrior - dual axes are freaking amazing... 'nuff said.

All this is pending surely on time that I have of course. :D

well i know for the beta i will steer clear from my main charr warrior, i will probably play only pvp to not spoil myself of the pve story

DJIzana

well i know for the beta i will steer clear from my main charr warrior, i will probably play only pvp to not spoil myself of the pve story

That's kinda why I chose to make my guardian second... save the melee part & hopefully get more enjoyment out of it. :D

Jira

Gate of Madness makes me sad. It was bad enough fighting Shiro at the end of factions and now he has a god damn friend?!? Ugh.

Arksy

I think i might go Charr Norn Mesmer or sylvari mesmer if it's available.. for the beta that is. My main was going to be an elementalist but 18%, talk about preeminent..

Jira

I think the Elementalist is going to be overplayed, but underutilized. I think that the concept of flipping through 4 attunements per weapon with 20 skills and knowing when and where to use each one is going to be a lot for most people to handle with any competence. In fact, I think a lot of Elementalists will mainly stay in Fire because of TEH DEEPZ and ignore their other attunements 90% of the time while the good players will just annihilate them.

Achtius

I think the Elementalist is going to be overplayed, but underutilized. I think that the concept of flipping through 4 attunements per weapon with 20 skills and knowing when and where to use each one is going to be a lot for most people to handle with any competence. In fact, I think a lot of Elementalists will mainly stay in Fire because of TEH DEEPZ and ignore their other attunements 90% of the time while the good players will just annihilate them.

But then people tends to be trigger happy so they probably just spam every spell (going through every attunement) they can rather than timing it :p

Jira

But then people tends to be trigger happy so they probably just spam every spell (going through every attunement) they can rather than timing it :p

Well the players who actually think about their skill usage and timing are going to succeed and the ones that just blow their skills will fall flat on their faces over and over. It would be like someone only aiming for the feet in an FPS versus someone who aims for the head/chest.

Arksy

Ok so apart from elementalist it seems most other classes are going to be fairly population balanced. I'm seriously contemplating mesmer and engineer now.

DJIzana

I like the elementalist because of how the spells feel & how they look. I'm sure it wont be that hard for me to figure out how they play etc in PVP or PVE. (For me, at least.)

I plan to spend my traits in 30 fire / 30 water & the rest wind or where ever electricity is. 2handed staff will also be my weapon of choice.

A lot of the people I know playing the game have their eyes set on engineer or mesmer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I like the elementalist because of how the spells feel & how they look. I'm sure it wont be that hard for me to figure out how they play etc in PVP or PVE. (For me, at least.)

I plan to spend my traits in 30 fire / 30 water & the rest wind or where ever electricity is. 2handed staff will also be my weapon of choice.

A lot of the people I know playing the game have their eyes set on engineer or mesmer.

I'm playing mesmer. I didn't enjoy how the necro played very much in the beta.

I have an extra beta code or two that are not going to be used from multiple copy pre-purchases.

Willing to sell/trade to someone who doesn't want to drop the full $60. PM me if interested.

Also, considering the codes expire on the 26th of june and that's the release date scheduled for multiple retailers, I really hope it comes out that day. Has there been any official word on a release window?

j_hiro

Is it true that Anet are only doing a single beta weekend per month until release?

"When do Beta Weekend Events (BWEs) start, and how many will there be?

The first BWE is currently planned for late April, and we expect to have one every month or so. The schedule is subject to change and will be confirmed at a later date. Currently, we do not know how many of these events we will have." via Guild Wars 2 Buying FAQ.

Certainly seems that way for now.

Arksy

Really hoping for that June 26th release date. That would hopefully (fingers) crossed mean...Late April -> Middle May -> Early June -> Late June release...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the stress test went well, without any major problems.

Some people weren't able to get in even though they were invited. I can't discuss whether I was one of them or not.
Hopefully that issue is fixed by the time the next beta is up.

Some people weren't able to get in even though they were invited. I can't discuss whether I was one of them or not.
Hopefully that issue is fixed by the time the next beta is up.

The stress test was kinda a mess. Anyone who had prepurchased and had the client could log in, but people that actually got invited were having trouble logging in. As far as what the actual stress test looked at (server stability, etc.), I think it went fine.

Keasar

I wish for a Tap Repeteadly video where they play a Warrior. :(
So far, their PVP videos have been the best, showing some actual skill in the play.

PewPewK

This is a great video with a lot of good explanation on what proper playing in GW2 can do. I noticed that he said you can set any skill to auto cast, so it's not just the first 5 like I thought. In the video he set his heal on auto cast, for example.

The new PvP map looks like a lot of fun.

I really hope the beta is the 20th. Hopefully the stress test went well, without any major problems.

It did not. Login server got hammered. Test was supposed to begin at noon and nobody, except a handful (literally) were able to get in before 3-4 PMish. Even then, logging in was almost impossible.

At the end, they just posted a "Thanks! We got all the info we needed," message on the forums and shut the stress test down.

Mulligan

Banned
The standard edition is now mine. It's actually real life, i will be playing GW2 soon... after all these years. I am excite, guys.

Retro

It did not. Login server got hammered. Test was supposed to begin at noon and nobody, except a handful (literally) were able to get in before 3-4 PMish. Even then, logging in was almost impossible.

At the end, they just posted a "Thanks! We got all the info we needed," message on the forums and shut the stress test down.

So they had people anxiously spamming the log-in button trying to get on and, as you put it, hammer the login server? Sounds like they were stress testing the servers to me, what did people think was going to happen? 6 hours to just run around and playtest? It was a stress test, it wasn't meant to go well on our end. All they needed were warm bodies to try and get on.

Finally got my 2 pre-purchases in. Feels good to join the waiting pool with the rest of you.

Welcome to the waiting game. 5 years and counting.

The standard edition is now mine. It's actually real life, i will be playing GW2 soon... after all these years. I am excite, guys.

That's "Soon™". Don't forget the trademark sign and the capitalization. The TM actually stands for "Tamdiu miseria", latin for "Misery for such a long time"
JUWnj.gif

Retro

Seriously though, as much as Gamestop's "It will be out on June 26th or we will sue!" line is laughable, I really hope they're right and that ArenaNet is aiming for late June. I've lost all hope for that Memorial Day launch prediction I made, but June still feels like it's reasonable.

In before Kayos' "October or November" prediction, you Debbie Downer.
JUWnj.gif

jacket320

i am really hoping for a june release, do they really not want to cash in with all the schools going on vacation?

I read (or heard) somewhere that most MMOs get their peak numbers for the year in August and September, which is kind of counter-intuitive. In general, MMO activity takes a bit of a dip in the summer months. I've got no source for you but it was probably somewhere on massively or gamebreaker if you're interested in finding it.

ShaneB

YES! I have been waiting a long while for D3 of course so i'm excited to get my hands on it, but it'll only hold me over until GW2 drops.

Same here. Diablo 3 in a month, and I'd like to think that can hold me over until GW2, where i'll eventually want to leave the doom and gloom of Diablo, and go to the lush worlds of GW2. lol

mrNTE

i am really hoping for a june release, do they really not want to cash in with all the schools going on vacation?
I know it's odd, but I have some friends that actually spend time outside in the summer. Weird thing is that they doesn't seem to be alone doing so.

J-Rzez

"When do Beta Weekend Events (BWEs) start, and how many will there be?

The first BWE is currently planned for late April, and we expect to have one every month or so. The schedule is subject to change and will be confirmed at a later date. Currently, we do not know how many of these events we will have." via Guild Wars 2 Buying FAQ.

Certainly seems that way for now.

They can't do this. They need to have a couple per month, and the way that sounds it's as if the final game won't be out for at least 3-4 months. Which is absurd to basically "make" people pre-purchase the game if it's that far out. I like Anet a lot, but this is a load of crap.

zulfate

I read (or heard) somewhere that most MMOs get their peak numbers for the year in August and September, which is kind of counter-intuitive. In general, MMO activity takes a bit of a dip in the summer months. I've got no source for you but it was probably somewhere on massively or gamebreaker if you're interested in finding it.

I know it's odd, but I have some friends that actually spend time outside in the summer. Weird thing is that they doesn't seem to be alone doing so.

lol i guess i am just crazy, me and all my friends would just stay in and play games till school starts again.

inky

Most are past the age where they should still be playing games ;P

I'm kidding of course, but yeah, when people mention summer in relation to school I just feel fucking old.

nataku

Good from a player perspective and good from ANet's perspective are two completely different things for a stress test. We'll probably never hear from ANet themselves on how they thought it went.

Anyone who went into the stress test expecting to play were setting themselves up for disappointment.

SO I just got a call saying that I had a 3 day head start code waiting for me at EB.

Is there any point at all to picking it up if they don't even sell the game until release day?

I figure 3 day headstart is only useful for people who download the game.

nataku

Are you not going to do the beta weekend events? The three day headstart works for everyone, even people picking up physical copies. You're given a grace period to enter the codes from your physical copy, so there's no reason not to do it honestly. It's like the game is releasing 3 days earlier.

I'm assuming they'll let us use the client from the BWE's for the headstart.

SO I just got a call saying that I had a 3 day head start code waiting for me at EB.

Is there any point at all to picking it up if they don't even sell the game until release day?

I figure 3 day headstart is only useful for people who download the game.

the 3 day head start code is also used to get into the beta and give you that Hero's band item. But, if you weren't planning on playing during the beta weekends and didn't want to download the client early, I could see how it'd be kinda pointless. I'd go get it regardless :p

Well if that's the case I guess I'll pick it up.

Only thing is I don't like downloading large clients because I only get like 60gbs per month. Hopefully this doesn't push me over the limit.

Helmholtz

Gate of Madness makes me sad. It was bad enough fighting Shiro at the end of factions and now he has a god damn friend?!? Ugh.
You've probably beaten it by now, but iirc (my memory of it is foggy) you need to counter his one stance with a skill that disrupts stances. Otherwise you'll get wrecked. We always killed Lich first.

Retro

Well if that's the case I guess I'll pick it up.

Only thing is I don't like downloading large clients because I only get like 60gbs per month. Hopefully this doesn't push me over the limit.

The client was something like 10.9 GB if I recall correctly, and in theory you shouldn't need to re-download it every time. Could be wrong though.

Torraz

Is there any way to download the client now, in anticipation of the beta which would happen either next weekend or the one after that?

alazz

Anyone want to team up for Gates of Madness later today? I think I'll be free pretty much anytime. Name should be Laura Agrippa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom