• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

AniHawk

Many people switch out Sharla because her damage contribution is so much lower than other characters. She gets the job done, sure, but it can take a while.

For your earlier reconstruction question, this page of the Xenoblade googledocs has all the things necessary and where you can get them. There are some location and NPC name spoilers in there, but only very minor. Nothing in my scan looked like a major spoiler, but look at your own peril.

awesome. thanks!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I used Sharla way too much in my playthrough, ditched her for the post-game stuff and "super-boss" type enemies though.

When I get around to replaying I plan to drop her as soon as possible and not use her the rest of the game.

I have spent the last few days finishing off side quests before facing the final boss. I'm quite sad it's going to be over to be honest. 150 hours+ on the clock and for the most part loved every second - though I did take a break for a couple of months as I found the later sections to be lacking compared to the first half of the game.

After all that though I'm tempted to play it again as I too made the "mistake" of sticking with pretty much the same party throughout. The faq about Melia posted a page or so back has been an eye opener for sure.

Hero

So yeah, pretty much loving the hell out of this game. The intro was really awesome, did not expect
Fiora to die
and I actually felt kind of bad. 10 hours in and I just
saved Juju and on the way to the tower Shulk just had a premonition about.

The soundtrack is amazing like everyone has always said. The Dolphin shots of this game really wish I had a PC capable of running it. We can always hope for an HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U, right? :)

Luigiv

restoration of places is going way more slowly than expected. wish there was a way to know where to look or who to trade with to get things.

xenoblade.wikia.com
www.google.com

In an game bestiary with drop rates would have been nice but without it you should just pack up your pride and use third party sources. The hassle of trying to figure it all out for yourself just isn't worth it, the game is just too large and the task too monotonous.

Tenck

This game is so frustrating at times.

Not too far into the game. Reaching Colony 6.

At the part where I am done going through the tunnels but where I have to jump on those spinning platforms to get to fight some level 24 Mechs. One isn't a problem, but I have to fight two now and I'm barely level 21. What's even more stupid is that it made me go back to the elevator, so I'm going to take a wild guess that I have to defeat the first Mechon to get to the duo.

I wish they made it easier to get and finish some quests. I feel so under-leveled and I can see this game getting really boring pretty fast if this stuff continues. And most quests I did finish offer gold instead of experience, which is even more stupid. Stuff is so cheap that I hardly have to work for gold to get the best stuff.

Tenck

Aren't there like...50 quests you could already do ? Anyway, are you using
Shulk's Enchant skill
? That should usually be more than enough to take them out with your group. If you really can't handle them, I'd suggest to maybe level a bit - usually if you do sidequests you'll be (maybe even severely) overleveld, so it shouldn't be a problem later on.

Yes I am using enchant. As soon as I see 1's flying on my screen, I know it's time to enchant.

Problem with the side quests, like I mentioned, is that most are gold. Which is bothersome, since I want EXP and I could be fine with no gold since I'm getting so many items that I'm selling to make a lot of money.

Tenck

Plenty of the quests however involve killing monsters or discovering new places, which should net you experience. Also if the monsters have a higher level than you, they usually net a lot more experience/skill points.

But believe me, if you do sidequests experience will be the least of your worries. Trust me, there's a plethora of sidequests, which often involve killing monsters (e.g. to farm items). Later on fighting will be a lot more fun, because you'll have more party members to choose, which gives you more strategies and spices up combat.

Edit:
Always spend your skill points, use your affinity coins and pick the right abilities to learn. Those things can make the game A LOT easier (or rather speed things up).

Oh man, Affinity coins, hahaha. Forgot about those. What's even more embarrassing is that yesterday, after 8 hours or so, I finally started leveling up my skills. Will have to look into that again to see what I can improve.

You can also level up your Monado skills, which can be useful if you're having problems with the Mechs. Affinity coins can be really, really useful, especially later on, even if they may not seem that amazing at the beginning.

They can be really helpful near the beginning, too! Skills like the one that heals you after a chain attack can be linked fairly early on, and it helps mitigate the loss of Sharla from a team. Also, early on the simple extra defense/attack ones can help a bit, as you'll want to redistribute those coins into more valuable skills later on.

Remember to go back and kill the uniques you missed. Those extra coins can be a great help.

Bagu

To share an experience from yesterday.

*Sees M64 while going to save derp*
Me: The brat can wait, I’ve got a quest to complete!
*Fight goes well enough. Then I’m over overrun by more mechon*
Me: WTF! Where did these assholes come from! AARRGGG!
*Fights for about two minutes*
Me: WHY WON’T ANY OF YOU DIE!
*Notices the 1s and realizes enchant has ended*
Me:We’ll don’t I feel sil…
*Sherla bites it*
Me:Shit! Now I have to sav…
*Shulk gets nuked*
Me:FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUI don’t even care anymore.
*Reyn being the amazing bro that he is manages to cross the circle jerk of Mechon and save my ass. Then I revive Sherla*
I then proceed to not play like an idiot and finally start chain attacking like a BOSS.

Overall I think it was a great fight.

zlatko

Banned
I'm 23 hours in, and am about to head out to the Sorla Marsh I think it's called?

It's a little predictable I feel about the Mechon at this point in the plot, so I hope I'm completely wrong on some stuff, or there is another big twist I'm not expecting. Even so, this game is amazing through and through.

Nothing is a challenge currently story wise. I'm like level 28 and the monsters are 23 tops, so it's a bit of a wash.

This is a game that could have definitely used a hard mode of some sort.

I'll probably just avoid side quests from here on out that don't get done along the way, or don't focus on a named monster to hunt.

massoluk

Banned
I'm 23 hours in, and am about to head out to the Sorla Marsh I think it's called?

It's a little predictable I feel about the Mechon at this point in the plot, so I hope I'm completely wrong on some stuff, or there is another big twist I'm not expecting. Even so, this game is amazing through and through.

Nothing is a challenge currently story wise. I'm like level 28 and the monsters are 23 tops, so it's a bit of a wash.

I'll probably just avoid side quests from here on out that don't get done along the way, or don't focus on a named monster to hunt.

Oh, there will be twists. A good Shyamalan's Sixth Sense twist, not The Village twist. Well, may be about Unbreakable's twist, but not at The Sign's level twist.

Meier

Last time I came to the thread, someone suggested a utility would be necessary to convert the EU save to an NA-capable one. Does anyone know if this exists yet? Or have they heard anything about plans to create one? I would like to re-buy the game but not if I have to start over after 40 hours.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Game just keeps going :lol

Played against a
Sniper Face boss battle
that took place in a gigantic open hallway. Worlds longest hall. When seeing a cross section of the Titan, I realized...
I'm inside his Thigh
:lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Most of the time, the games system of checkpoints is pretty good. Finally ran into an instance that made me go "hmmm, I should save more often, or before certain points."

Mainly, the Heart to Heart moments. As the choice options can lead to gaining, or losing, hearts. Should have saved beforehand, as I'm trying to gain affinity levels between the characters, and have "screwed" up conversation points.

Alchemy

So do party options open up later? Because I just got
Dunban
but it doesn't really feel like he fits on the party outside of taking Shulks spot. Sharla/Reyn/Shulk fills the healer/tank/DPS trinity that it feels like combat revolves around, and Shulk is there for dealing with Mechons so it doesn't feel very easy to replace him. I'm hoping we get more healer/tanks... right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I doubt there's any way anybody could have the story figured out at that point. There are a few carrots on a stick it's dangling in front of you (and at that point there are some things you might have figured out), but there's a long way to go from there and a lot of major plot twists remaining. There's even some key plot threads that haven't even been introduced at that point.

And I think it's really interesting how people react to the difficulty, some people find the game really hard, others find it too easy.

Dunban
but it doesn't really feel like he fits on the party outside of taking Shulks spot. Sharla/Reyn/Shulk fills the healer/tank/DPS trinity that it feels like combat revolves around, and Shulk is there for dealing with Mechons so it doesn't feel very easy to replace him. I'm hoping we get more healer/tanks... right?

Internet ate my reply. Well, that character you got is an evade tank, so you want to give him lots of agility gems (you want to do that with everyone anyway though, but him especially) and light armor and he'll avoid most attacks that go his way, and deal nice damage too. He has an art that lowers aggro, it's kind of a trap, you want to make sure you get rid of that one.

The game doesn't really fall back on healer/tank/DPS. You can use just about any party and be fine as long as you think it through. With those four characters the only "good" option is to replace Shulk, but you can get by replacing either of the other as well. If you replace Reyn, you should start needing less healing during battle so that will limit Sharla's usage. If you drop Sharla, things get a bit more difficult since Reyn will still eat a good bit of damage since he draws so much aggro. You can account for that though with various gems (aggro up/down) and adjust arts to keep that from happening too much. You'll be thinking along those lines a lot later on as you get more party members, because none of them are damage eating tanks or straight healers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunban

Dunban IS a tank. Just a "dodging" type one rather than one with tons of HP. I dont think anyone really replace Sharla has a healer, you got Shulk and another one with a one or two healing skills, but that's it... unless the last character i have yet to unlock is another healer.

Alchemy

Dunban IS a tank. Just a "dodging" type one rather than one with tons of HP. I dont think anyone really replace Sharla has a healer, you got Shulk and another one with a one or two healing skills, but that's it... unless the last character i have yet to unlock is another healer.

Ok... I'm going to have to mess around then. He seemed more like a DPS character from what I was seeing of his skills.

nan0

Ok... I'm going to have to mess around then. He seemed more like a DPS character from what I was seeing of his skills.

He's actually more like a "Rogue" with Combo-like attacks, focus on avoidance, debuffs (limited) and critical hits. I never used him as a tank in harder/boss battles though, because he couldn't hold up aggro if you let the AI play him.

timmy

I'm about four hours into this game. I'm still wrapping my head around all of the systems, but I figure that's normal at this point. One question I have for those who are further in: the inventory system seems pretty big. Is there a good rule of thumb for what is safe to sell? Will I need collectibles or materials later in the game, or is it best to sell them for gold?

Bisnic

I'm about four hours into this game. I'm still wrapping my head around all of the systems, but I figure that's normal at this point. One question I have for those who are further in: the inventory system seems pretty big. Is there a good rule of thumb for what is safe to sell? Will I need collectibles or materials later in the game, or is it best to sell them for gold?

You end up with a lot of gold by simply doing quests, keep those collectibles for quests or for giving them as presents to other characters to improve their affinity. Items for quests will eventually have a blue or red ! on top of them.. although i still have no idea what the color mean.

TDLink

Most of the time, the games system of checkpoints is pretty good. Finally ran into an instance that made me go "hmmm, I should save more often, or before certain points."

Mainly, the Heart to Heart moments. As the choice options can lead to gaining, or losing, hearts. Should have saved beforehand, as I'm trying to gain affinity levels between the characters, and have "screwed" up conversation points.

You can't lose hearts in a Heart to Heart. Depending on the options you pick you may end up getting less than if you pick all the "right" options but no matter what you increase the affinity with that party member by doing the Heart to Heart. Many of the "wrong" choices can lead to some pretty funny conversations anyways.

Hobbun

I'm about 6-7 hours in and just about to leave the first area. I will say I was pretty
shocked and saddened to see Fiora die. I actually kind of liked her. I haven't been surprised like that since FF VII (with Aeris). Was looking forward to seeing her relationship develop with Shulk.

But, so addicted to the game. I definitely have the 'oh, just a couple more quests to finish' syndrome, but then I pick up a couple more, so I can't ever get to the point of all quests completed. I think I have about 25-30 quests done now.

Right now I am thoroughly confused on how gem crafting works. I think there is a guide linked on the OP, will have to take a look at that.

Also, do you do anything with the collectables besides for trading? What is safe to sell and what you want to keep? Right now I have a TON of collectables and not sure what I can sell or should keep. And previous (lesser) armors, is it ok to sell them, as well?

You end up with a lot of gold by simply doing quests, keep those collectibles for quests or for giving them as presents to other character to improve their affinity. Items for quests will eventually have a blue or red ! on top of them.. although i still have no idea what the color mean.

Thanks! That really helps a lot on the collectables. But the problem is I don't know which collectables to keep to improve affinities, and which is ok to sell. And which are the 'best' to trade. Guess I'll just keep all of them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sharla's the only healer because if you don't have Sharla in the party you don't NEED a healer.

Everybody else either does damage fast enough or has enough HP that anything beyond Shulk or Riki's healing techniques is overkill.

Related tip for people more than halfway through the game:
Get, and liberally use, Monado Armour!

Almost to Colony 6. Any advice for defeating
Xord? I've fought him a couple times and he destroyed me. Some hints popped up suggesting that I use Break with a chain attack, but I can't seem to fill the meter enough for a chain.

massoluk

Banned
You can't lose hearts in a Heart to Heart. Depending on the options you pick you may end up getting less than if you pick all the "right" options but no matter what you increase the affinity with that party member by doing the Heart to Heart. Many of the "wrong" choices can lead to some pretty funny conversations anyways.

No, you can lose a bit if you pick the wrong choice. But yeah, just have fun with that heart-to-heart moments. Don't worry too much about it. The affinity isn't something limited and easy to obtain in a normal play-through.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Almost to Colony 6. Any advice for defeating
Xord? I've fought him a couple times and he destroyed me. Some hints popped up suggesting that I use Break with a chain attack, but I can't seem to fill the meter enough for a chain.

Focus on the minions until the party gauge is full, then switch to Xord and chain attack. Make sure the party is Shulk->Reyn->Sharla so you can break, topple, then daze to get a couple extra seconds.

Raising the party gauge is key, the QTEs help a lot. Make sure you're hitting them as close to correctly as possible (you want to hit it exactly when the shrinking circle overlaps the static one, too early and you get nothing, too late and the effect is more minor, so better to do it a tad bit late if you can't hit it exactly).

Firemind

Sharla's the only healer because if you don't have Sharla in the party you don't NEED a healer.

Everybody else either does damage fast enough or has enough HP that anything beyond Shulk or Riki's healing techniques is overkill.

Related tip for people more than halfway through the game:
Get, and liberally use, Monado Armour!

Your agenda to badmouth Sharla is getting old. Let people play with whoever they want.

The Hermit

Reading this thread is like having a massive deja-vu... people discussing what team should use, which character is worthless, the twists.

I am so happy everyone is enjoying this game. :D

2 tips:
1- NO ONE is useless, everyone has its own strength (except Ryan) but it depends on who do you have as sidekicks.

2- Topple is great, BUT there are some enemies who activate some nasty counters when toppled.

Hobbun

Focus on the minions until the party gauge is full, then switch to Xord and chain attack. Make sure the party is Shulk->Reyn->Sharla so you can break, topple, then daze to get a couple extra seconds.

Raising the party gauge is key, the QTEs help a lot. Make sure you're hitting them as close to correctly as possible (you want to hit it exactly when the shrinking circle overlaps the static one, too early and you get nothing, too late and the effect is more minor, so better to do it a tad bit late if you can't hit it exactly).

Unless I’m doing it wrong, those QTEs are very difficult. I came VERY close one time in overlapping the outer circle, but haven’t done it yet. I’ve been late quite a few times and sometimes I’ve been too early (in trying to over-adjust being too late).

Hopefully it will become easier with practice.

TDLink

No, you can lose a bit if you pick the wrong choice. But yeah, just have fun with that heart-to-heart moments. Don't worry too much about it. The affinity isn't something limited and easy to obtain in a normal play-through.

No. The "hearts going down" thing for picking the "wrong" choice means you lose from the potential amount you can gain from doing the Heart to Heart. You will never end up with less affinity after doing a Heart to Heart than you had before.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Your agenda to badmouth Sharla is getting old. Let people play with whoever they want.

He kind of exaggerates, but he's right. It's a fair point to bring up because some people don't see how you can get through the game without Sharla since she's the only "real" healer. There's not really anything wrong with using her, but you certainly don't need to.

Anyway, I think I'll see about starting my Sharla-less playthrough tomorrow since I abused her the first time. Will definitely require a change of tactics in the early-to-mid parts of the game where you're arts/gems/skills are still limited.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

They can play how they want. Some people like using Sharla and should play as her if they do. But a lot of people think that they HAVE to use her because of the way the game uses the DPS/tank/healer setup as a sort of "training wheels" for the battle system and they end up either not exploring the battle system further or not learning different strategies or play styles that they might need later on. It's hard when you're playing early on and seeing how dependent your party is on Sharla's healing to think "I probably will be fine with her not in the party," yet if you don't think that, you're going to miss out on a lot of what the game has to offer.

As another example of this sort of thing (but in reverse), personally I really don't like playing as Melia much. I almost always have a preference for physical fighters in any game, and this one is no different. She's just not my thing. But I'll constantly suggest that people ought to give her a shot, mainly because people often don't because she's too confusing, unusual, or doesn't seem to fit in the DPS/tank/healer setup.

Firemind

Why are you missing out on a lot of what the game has to offer if you go the DPS/tank/healer setup? You know there are characters who fill different roles who can substitute one another and you can shuffle characters as you go, right? You're implying, at least that's what I get from your tone, that having Sharla in a team is something noobs do. Get off your high horse, mate.

ultron87

I've never been a fan of three person parties in games like this. Shame they didn't give an extra slot since it would encourage people to try more of the characters.

Zing

Banned
The game is already an OCD playground. What you suggest is insanity!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you missing out on a lot of what the game has to offer if you go the DPS/tank/healer setup? You know there are characters who fill different roles who can substitute one another and you can shuffle characters as you go, right? You're implying, at least that's what I get from your tone, that having Sharla in a team is something noobs do. Get off your high horse, mate.

There are other party setups that are just as effective, or even more effective, than the DPS/tank/healer party. And they can definitely be fun to use and can prevent the game from being monotonous. Sometimes, that sort of party is very ineffective, and I don't intend to offend anyone or anything, but a fear or unwillingness to explore different party setups definitely seems like a reason why a lot of people struggle with a particular late-game boss.

The game does take some blame here. I think early, after you get four or five characters, it should have restricted your party a few times. For instance, you have to do a small section without Sharla or Reyn and replace them with someone else. The game kind of does this with one character so you learn to use them, but it doesn't really take that concept any further.

Bisnic

Sharla's heals arent even that needed unless you're fighting something that hits really hard. I usually have Dunban, Shulk and Melia and even when i end up pulling 4 monsters by accident at once i can still win the fight. Dunban's avoidance, Shulk and Melia big DPS and light heals seems good enough.

Speaking of Melia, i wish they would have named her abilities differently, i can only take so much "SUMMON..." before i feel like telling her to shut up. Not to mention her "Bravo. Bravo." that sounds terribly... sarcastic. :lol

Alchemy

I think one issue is just how long you're stuck with specific characters. I'm 8 hours in, but only just got my fourth party member and its obvious that I'm still very early in the game (despite the fact I'd probably would have finished most current gen games in this time). I'm just used to Shulk/Reyn/Sharla, and I imagine developing that kind of play style is hard to break as new party members are slowly added to the mix.

That and I still feel like I can't get rid of Shulk, so there are really only two party slots to play with and the physical DPS role ends up being filled by him so if anyone else fills that role (even if they're mechanically different) they're still not as useful as Shulk.

I'm really hoping that at some point in the future I don't have to worry about dealing damage to Mechon.

Top Bottom