• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

I feel like this might the same as DS and Wii of 2006. The DS with a 3D Mario game the year before and a 2D Mario during 06, while the Wii's first Mario game revealed at E3 as a 3D game that releases the year after. A 2D Mario game for 3DS was announced for this year, so Super Mario Wii U might release next year instead of launch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully it doesn't look like ass New Super Mario Bros.

Grymm

Banned
I'm telling you guys prepare for your quickly and cheaply made along side the identical 3DS version to which it has connectivity 2D Mario packaged in with the console cash grab.

Maybe with a similarly quick and cheap touch screen using Duck Hunt remake to go with it.

If they keep the NSMB aesthetic I'll cry on the inside. To me that's Mario dressed up as a coked up trick. And two Toads? You gotta be shitting me. Not worthy of canon.

I hope they realize that those games didn't sell because they looked and sounded outrageously bland, they sold because they provided the classic Mario formula, and unbelievably, they were the first new 2D Mario games Nintendo released for handheld or console in 14 and 18 freaking years, respectively

GDGF

Soothsayer
Like how Wii Motion Plus was pimped for Skyward Sword, and look how much controversy it caused after release

Difference being Mario 64 came at the beginning of its generation and Skyward Sword at its end.

People would have loved a motion plus Zelda experience had it come at the beginning of the Wii generation when people were thirsty for that sort of thing. By the time it arrived, the Wii audience was all kinds of segmented and jaded.

Catch them at the beginning and give them a consistent message throughout and they will be happy.

Amir0x

Banned

oh.

man, is it sad I was almost giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt to think they had one less Mario game announced? I should always know that when in doubt, always go with more Mario being true :/

I feel like an unqualified consumer whore to need to say "I'll play it I guess", but I hope it's something a bit less by-the-numbers than NSMB, and a bit more novel from a setting perspective.

Raw64life

I could talk about what I hope this game turns about to be but if I end up getting the WiiU I know I'm going to buy it no matter what.

Busaiku

I'm guessing this one's the 3D game.
If the 3DS game is this year, then this would probably be next year at the earliest.

A new Mario game???

0392_mbjor.gif

Where is this from? LOL

Triton55

I'm guessing it will be a cross-platform New Super Mario Bros. Mii. But that's okay because Wii U will still get its awesome EAD Tokyo 3D Mario at some point.

Himself

Here's hoping it's anything but another shitty NSMB-type game. I'd love something as trailblazing as Yoshis Island, Sup Mario 3, World or Mario 64 again.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Ok, so they're really going to do a NSMB for 3DS and Wii U. O__O

I hope they just change a bit aestetics / music... but NSMBWii was DAMN good as a game. And with others it's even more awesome.

Yes, I'd also like a return to the gameplay of Mario 64.

But the market has spoken and they only want the simpler 2D or 2D-like Mario games.

same here, i don't want them to go for the cashgrab 2D NSMB formula even if i am sure it would be a solid game, i want a revolution at this point, blow us away Shiggy, just like you did back with Mario 64!!!

Bleesh.

What you call simple I call more on the fly with the platforming.

Times like this I feel that the desire for more depth at the expense of action (or vice versa) is misplaced.

RagnarokX

So... change thread title again?

"Nintendo Confirms a new New Super Mario game for WiiU"

NSMBW is best 2D Mario apart from having bad art direction.

Linkup

Wow at all the asumptions being made preclaiming it to not be a NSMB title. New Super Mario Bros. Mii just as I was thinking it was going to be. NSMBW was very successful after all and they already had a working version of it in HD.

It's going to look exactly as it did last E3 too, HD NSMB Wii.

The Boat

I think people just wish Nintendo was a bit more ambitious with the titles. Especially when comparing it to YI, SMB3 and SMW. NSMBW was good but very uninspired. Miis as characters doesn't help matters.

Aesthetically it's uninspired sure, but everything else is nothing short of great. Hell, if half the games we got this gen were as "ugly" as NSMBW it would've been much less boring. I'm not saying it looks gorgeous, just think there's a great deal of exaggeration going around.
EDIT: Also, judging the ambition of a title based on the art direction alone considering what the game did especially on the multiplayer front doesn't seem right.

daakusedo

...Ok, so they're really going to do a NSMB for 3DS and Wii U. O__O

I replayed the entirety of NSMBW with a friend weeks ago and it was as powerful as the first time, so I'm ready.

But indeed, I don't know what they are doing with these two 2d Mario.
It's impossible that they are two different new 2d platform games in the same classic way.
But I don't know too what can be the two smash bros.
So we can guess two really different experiences or they will be something highly tied up.

TriGen

Is it a Super Mario game or a Super Mario Bros game? One is 3D and the other is 2D, it is mentioned both ways in the article. I have said before that I think the first Mario game on Wii U would be 3D because it would show off the graphics the best, which in turn might wow some people and help get an install base.

A 2D Mario will end up selling more long-term, but it wouldn't really take advantage of a newer powerful console, plus you are probaly better of making a 2D game after you have the install base, because of that I would say they should wait till 2014 before a 2D Mario hits Wii U, if they launch with a 2D game it could be a while before they even have 20-30M Wii U's in the households to buy it.

I'm pumped either way, though.

I think either this or the 3DS game is going to be what we saw as New Super Mario Bros Mii last year and I'm leaning towards it being the Wii U game.

Aesthetically it's uninspired sure, but everything else is nothing short of great. Hell, if half the games we got this gen were as "ugly" as NSMBW it would've been much less boring. I'm not saying it looks gorgeous, just think there's a great deal of exaggeration going around

It's not ugly just bland. Personally I was more refering to their ambition. Super Mario Bros. 3 and SMW were very ambitious and tried to do different things with the 2D Mario formula and advance it. NSMB is focused on offering old experiences and throwbacks.

I think it is a good game and probably the most refined of the 2D platformers but I personally wish they went more outside their comfort range and tried pushing forward more. I don't see that happening though due to how gigantic the NSMB series is. Much like how they haven't really done it with Mario Kart due to it's high sales.

90sRobots

So... change thread title again?

"Nintendo Confirms a new New Super Mario game for WiiU"

NSMBW is best 2D Mario apart from having bad art direction.
Anyone who is of this opinion must also submit their age.

If they made a New Super Mario Bros game based on Super Mario Bros 2 gameplay, I'd buy a thousand WiiUs.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They really need to change the aesthetic. I like NSMBW but the environments almost look like a flash game.
Seriously? It's kind of stale, but I was too busy having a damn blast playing the game to notice. NSMB DS sucked, but NSMB Wii was all kinds of awesome.

NSMB is so underrated, you can't duplicate 2D platformers.

All they need to do is jazz up the effects and backgrounds and general visuals and it'll be day 1.

Top Bottom