• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

chaosblade
(04-16-2012, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Lonestar

Maybe if I can craft some high level aggro up gems, and use them instead of agility up, Naked Dunban would work better.

You'll probably also want stealth gems on your other party members so they don't draw as much aggro. Depends on what agility gems you can craft. I think for Rank V agility shards you need to have the nature section of Colony 6 completed so the best you can probably do is Rank IV and megaheat them to V, provided your affinity is high enough to get megaheat.
MetatronM
(04-16-2012, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Firemind

This is a ridiculous thing to say and a terrible analogy, since you can play as any character with a dps/tank/healer setup if you consider Melia a dps. Who's to say you have to keep playing with the same character? You can easily swap Shulk for Melia and Reyn for Dunban if you so please and you can play as any of these characters. You can even use Riki as a faux healer. All you seem to be saying is that you don't need Sharla, so you can go triple dps or whatever which is totes important, because otherwise you'll miss out on the game.

I don't know how you got that from what I was saying, but we are clearly having two completely different conversations here.
Firemind
(04-16-2012, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by MetatronM

Everybody else either does damage fast enough or has enough HP that anything beyond Shulk or Riki's healing techniques is overkill.

zlatko
If my BP falls below 1000 Lord Sirlin will kill my family
(04-16-2012, 10:44 PM)

Is that true? I was going to just use Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban for now and avoid Sharla, even though I'm just now leaving Colony 6. Is it maybe better to go for Dunban, Shulk, and Sharla?
MetatronM
(04-16-2012, 10:44 PM)

And? That's true if Sharla is not in the party. If Sharla is in the party, your damage output is inherently lower, and hence she has great healing abilities to make up for it.

Where is the controversy here? And how does this have anything to do with you saying I'm trying to make people use a triple DPS party or whatever nonsense (which I never did, since that would be a party of Melia-Shulk-7th, which is a lineup I don't think I've ever recommended. Obviously powerful offensively, but it would have a hell of a time managing aggro.)?
MetatronM
(04-16-2012, 10:50 PM)

Originally Posted by zlatko

Is that true? I was going to just use Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban for now and avoid Sharla, even though I'm just now leaving Colony 6. Is it maybe better to go for Dunban, Shulk, and Sharla?

Either group would work. Personally, I used Shulk-Dunban-Sharla at that point.

Shulk-Reyn-Dunban might not have great healing, which Reyn normally needs, but Dunban's ability as a tank will take a lot of heat off of him. On the other hand, Dunban dodges so much but would keep so much aggro on himself in that other party that Sharla's presence means it's almost impossible for anything to be much of a threat to you at that stage in the game, unless you're severely underleveled compared to the enemies. You'll do less damage than the other party, but you'll be perfectly safe too.
Firemind
(04-16-2012, 10:56 PM)

Use whoever you like until you hit a speed bump. Or several.

And? That's true if Sharla is not in the party. If Sharla is in the party, your damage output is inherently lower, and hence she has great healing abilities to make up for it.

Where is the controversy here? And how does this have anything to do with you saying I'm trying to make people use a triple DPS party or whatever nonsense (which I never did, since that would be a party of Melia-Shulk-7th, which is a lineup I don't think I've ever recommended. Obviously powerful offensively, but it would have a hell of a time managing aggro.)?

Riki can dps and 7th can be defensively set up to tank.

Anyhow, that doesn't disprove the theory that you have some sort of resentment towards Sharla. Poor gal.
ag-my001
(04-16-2012, 11:14 PM)

I've tried to do the whole "naked Dunban" dodge tank strategy. Guess it works, but more often than not, Shulk or Riki would end up getting all the aggro, and Dunban with just 1,2, or 3 Agile Up gems on his sword and nothing else, just feels like a wasted spot.

So give me an armored and gem'd out Dunban with 160-ish Agility, over a 230+ agile Naked Dunban, anyday.

Plus, makes for strange cutscenes.

Nope, sorry Fellow College Footballian.

BTW: Urban SUUUUCKS ;P

There's your problem. To get the most out of naked-Dunban, you need to link a skill from Melia that gives a huge bonus to all stats when no gems are equipped. More than makes up for whatever you could be slotting into his weapon.
wsippel
(04-16-2012, 11:23 PM)

You should have recommended it, though - it's probably the most powerful party in the game when it comes to pure DPS. And aggro management isn't really an issue with the right armor/ gems. Agility, attack speed and double attack for Shulk, Speed V for 7th.
sillymonkey321
(04-16-2012, 11:32 PM)
I pretty much rotate party members based on how i feel like playing, and use the medic for bosses. Except Riki....because of his voice.
Lonestar
(04-17-2012, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by ag-my001

There's your problem. To get the most out of naked-Dunban, you need to link a skill from Melia that gives a huge bonus to all stats when no gems are equipped. More than makes up for whatever you could be slotting into his weapon.

Is that on the hidden skill tree, and I need more affinity between the 2.
state_vector_collapse
(04-17-2012, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by chaosblade

I think Zornica did write some, but they weren't in English and that was the only one he translated since all the other characters are pretty straightforward by comparison (to an extent, all of them have some cool things they can do). Which characters are you wondering about specifically?

It was more that I thought it was a nicely detailed faq and was curious if there was other things I was missing with the other characters. It made me realise I had been misusing Melia. I thought it would make a cool read and maybe throw up some tidbits about each of them. Although I suspect I'm probably not getting the best out of Rikku or Dunban (who I have hardly used)
ag-my001
(04-17-2012, 12:54 AM)

Is that on the hidden skill tree, and I need more affinity between the 2.

It is on Melia's fourth tree. To open it up, get a 3-star rating with Alcamoth, then talk to the woman on top of the Lighthouse. The nice thing about it is that it's the 3rd skill on the list, so it won't take long to unlock. It's also the right shape that you only need the 2nd level of affinity between Melia and Dunban.
Zekes!
(04-17-2012, 12:55 AM)
I did not know about these hidden skill trees

How do I get them? Spoiler tags if need be.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-17-2012, 12:57 AM)
quests brah
Zekes!
(04-17-2012, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Jintor

quests brah

I feel like I should've known the answer was going to be "more quests!"
ag-my001
(04-17-2012, 01:16 AM)
To be more specific, you'll know it's a hidden tree quest if you talk to the person with a ! on their head and they don't give you a quest. You have to talk to them with the specific person as your lead character to receive the quest.
Ultratech
(04-17-2012, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Zekes!

I did not know about these hidden skill trees

How do I get them? Spoiler tags if need be.

4th Skill Trees are available after doing certain quests and stuff. Differs for each party member. The quests are generally character-specific (i.e. the quest giver won't give you the quest unless you talk to them with said character as the leader).

5th Skill Trees are unlocked from quests as well, but aren't available until about the end of the game.

Something to note is that these quests are generally obtained through quest chains, so you'll likely end up having to do quite a few quests and/or raise affinity for an area before they become available.
Last edited by Ultratech; 04-17-2012 at 02:39 AM.
BalrogTheMaster
(04-17-2012, 03:14 AM)
Hey guys! I know you're all well into your quests, but I have a review up if anyone's curious :) I finally beat the game 112 hours in, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdLpif_EXE
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(04-17-2012, 03:19 AM)

Originally Posted by BalrogTheMaster

Hey guys! I know you're all well into your quests, but I have a review up if anyone's curious :) I finally beat the game 112 hours in, lol.

Nice job!
Zing
(04-17-2012, 03:58 AM)

Originally Posted by BalrogTheMaster

I like how the URL ends with both "exe" and "pif", instantly triggering my mental anti-virus.
BalrogTheMaster
(04-17-2012, 04:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Zing

I like how the URL ends with both "exe" and "pif", instantly triggering my mental anti-virus.

Haha, that's the first thing that popped in my mind too.
Jive Turkey
(04-17-2012, 04:17 AM)
So after nearly ten straight hours of searching I was positive my copy of the game had shipped without Bitter Kiwis. Finally found one...Now I just need two more. :(
L00P
(04-17-2012, 04:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

So after nearly ten straight hours of searching I was positive my copy of the game had shipped without Bitter Kiwis. Finally found one...Now I just need two more. :(

I have the same problem, but for Enigma Lotuses. I got fed up though and checked gamefaqs to see if there's a faster way to get em, and apparently you can get some from trading with an NPC
zlatko
(04-17-2012, 04:24 AM)
So I wanted to use Dunban in my party, but Reyn is seriously a monster at this point in the game for me.

Does like 800-900 on attack, has over 300 phys defense, 150-170 ether defense, and is stacked with over 5k HP. Dude is serious tanking business.

Dunban has a measly 3K health, like 800 attack max, and much shittier defense. My Sharla is tip top too. Pretty much the shittiest stat person is actually Shulk, but I like playing as him, so tough cookies.

Thanks to whoever mentioned those giant turtles in this thread by the way. Went to fight them as level 29, they con yellow, and give out 800 exp per fight. Juicy stuff, and easy to beat too. Too bad only 2 of them pop in that area on the plains.

Going to have to force them to repop in hopes they drop some nice gear.
burgerdog
(04-17-2012, 04:24 AM)
Wow, 30 hours and my rechargeable eneloops still have 2 bars left. The CCP rocks, and this game is amazing. Was worried that I was going to get bored like I did with Skyrim and KoA after 20 hours.

^
edit
Dunban doesn't need high hp when he's a dodging machine. I switched to him as soon as I got him and filled him up with agi gems. His damage is great after you get a good weapon for him and level up some of his skills.
Last edited by burgerdog; 04-17-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Jintor
a mod to tag him
(04-17-2012, 04:30 AM)
Agi gem Dunban and he'll never get hit
Zekes!
(04-17-2012, 04:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Ultratech

4th Skill Trees are available after doing certain quests and stuff. Differs for each party member. The quests are generally character-specific (i.e. the quest giver won't give you the quest unless you talk to them with said character as the leader).

5th Skill Trees are unlocked from quests as well, but aren't available until about the end of the game.

Something to note is that these quests are generally obtained through quest chains, so you'll likely end up having to do quite a few quests and/or raise affinity for an area before they become available.

Not only one extra skill tree, but two? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
zlatko
(04-17-2012, 04:31 AM)

Agi gem Dunban and he'll never get hit

Hm I'll need new slotted gear for the transition then. Sold most of my old shit tonight to just tidy up the inventory.
ZenaxPure
(04-17-2012, 04:32 AM)
Annnnnnddddd Xenoblade, you've lost me again. (I assume late(60 hours) story spoiler, but who even knows with this game).

So Zanza is just an angry god who wants to recreate the world? Really? That is what everything has been building up to? I just finished all the stuff where Dickson shoots Shulk and Zanza comes out of him, kills Meyneth etc. and reveals that just wants to destroy and recreate the world. Like.... This again? I really thought we were going somewhere cool but he's just gonna tell me he is a generic god-wannabe (well in his case, literally) villain who wants to destroy the world just because he can? I already miss chasing after Egil for simple revenge purposes.

It's a shame because everything else about that scene was amazing. The fact Egil had a purpose to what he was doing, the reasoning of cross breeding Homs/Entia, the entire scene with Mechonis awakening and attacking Bionis. All of that stuff was absolutely great but then it ends with some angry god dude. Bleh.

I hope stuff dramatically changes going forward but right now I really disappointed by the direction the story is going.
Jive Turkey
(04-17-2012, 04:36 AM)

Originally Posted by L00P

I have the same problem, but for Enigma Lotuses. I got fed up though and checked gamefaqs to see if there's a faster way to get em, and apparently you can get some from trading with an NPC

Tried that and nobody had any for trade. Too bad you and I can't trade...I have ~30 Enigma Lotus.
Elfforkusu
(04-17-2012, 04:39 AM)

Originally Posted by ZenaxPure

Annnnnnddddd Xenoblade, you've lost me again. (I assume late(60 hours) story spoiler, but who even knows with this game).

So Zanza is just an angry god who wants to recreate the world? Really? That is what everything has been building up to? I just finished all the stuff where Dickson shoots Shulk and Zanza comes out of him, kills Meyneth etc. and reveals that just wants to destroy and recreate the world. Like.... This again? I really thought we were going somewhere cool but he's just gonna tell me he is a generic god-wannabe (well in his case, literally) villain who wants to destroy the world just because he can? I already miss chasing after Egil for simple revenge purposes.

It's a shame because everything else about that scene was amazing. The fact Egil had a purpose to what he was doing, the reasoning of cross breeding Homs/Entia, the entire scene with Mechonis awakening and attacking Bionis. All of that stuff was absolutely great but then it ends with some angry god dude. Bleh.

I hope stuff dramatically changes going forward but right now I really disappointed by the direction the story is going.

You aren't done yet, dude. There's yet another tweeeeest to come.
Jintor
a mod to tag him
(04-17-2012, 04:40 AM)
I can't get the goddamn battle music out of my head. It's so good.

THEY WILL KNOW OUR NAMES
zlatko
(04-17-2012, 04:43 AM)

I can't get the goddamn battle music out of my head. It's so good.

THEY WILL KNOW OUR NAMES

LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!
Junie12
(04-17-2012, 04:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Elfforkusu

Oh god another twist? Please tell me this one's not going to be another mind fuck.

The last twist made me so confused..
MetatronM
(04-17-2012, 04:44 AM)

Dunban has a measly 3K health, like 800 attack max, and much shittier defense.

Like Jintor said, Dunban has low HP and defense because he's not supposed to get hit in the first place. Agility is his stat (well, it's really everybody's stat, but it's of greatest importance to Dunban).
lacinius
(04-17-2012, 04:44 AM)
Yes, my copy finally arrived today in the mail... and now to begin.
Hiltz
(04-17-2012, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by ZenaxPure

I do agree that the whole thing with Zanza's part of the story is dull and cliche. It trivializes things in attempt to make the plot feel as grand as the scope of the world, but it backfires in my opinion. Some of the crazy stuff is fairly cool and unpredictable, but it reaches such nonsensical heights that you can't help but roll your eyes at it. Based on your response, it sounds like you're all too familiar with how common this stuff is in Japanese storytelling. On the bright side, the ending is touching and the credits music is terrific.
Last edited by Hiltz; 04-17-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Pachinko
(04-17-2012, 05:03 AM)

LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!

WHAT A BUNCHA JOKAHS!
Mikey Jr.
(04-17-2012, 05:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Pachinko

WHAT A BUNCHA JOKAHS!

I KNOW, I KNOW!
Lonestar
(04-17-2012, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

I KNOW, I KNOW!

DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID?
Jintor
a mod to tag him
(04-17-2012, 05:34 AM)
NOPE? ANYBODY?
burgerdog
(04-17-2012, 05:38 AM)
HEY, SHARLA, CAN YOU TEACH ME HOW TO USE A RIFLE?
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(04-17-2012, 05:39 AM)
Given up on the sword already, have we?
ultron87
(04-17-2012, 05:41 AM)
Eryth Sea is so pretty.

I mean, now it's Reyn time!
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(04-17-2012, 05:51 AM)
Man, going all around that snowy mountain was definitely not worth it, lack of landmarks, barely any quests, and no secret red orbs to pick up for future quests.
ZenaxPure
(04-17-2012, 05:55 AM)
Oh god I just read everyone of those with Reyn's voice, it's haunting.

Originally Posted by Elfforkusu

I hope so, but based on Hiltz response I can pretty much guess where this is going currently.

Also lol the next dungeon.

Not doing sidequests has finally paid off. I am inside Bionis right now and am very underleveled. Every mob is either yellow or red but none of them seem remotely challenging. I am still rocking Riki/Dunban/Shulk though which so far has trivialized pretty much everything so there is that.
Hiltz
(04-17-2012, 05:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Bisnic

Man, going all around that snowy mountain was definitely not worth it, lack of landmarks, barely any quests, and no secret red orbs to pick up for future quests.

That location was pretty but a bit disorienting to navigate. It was actually more of a relief that there aren't many side quests there. I think there's like 15 areas with 11 landmarks. There may be 1-2 red orb quests later on in the game. I think one of them is part of a chain quest.

"The head! Shoot him in the head!"
Last edited by Hiltz; 04-17-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(04-17-2012, 07:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Hiltz

That location was pretty but a bit disorienting to navigate. It was actually more of a relief that there aren't many side quests there. I think there's like 15 areas with 11 landmarks. There may be 1-2 red orb quests later on in the game. I think one of them is part of a chain quest.

"The head! Shoot him in the head!"

Yeah, anyway even if there was a lot of quests, i would probably skip most of them since i'm kinda hooked in the story so far (big spoilerz, do not highlight if you havent done the snowy part)I wanna get Fiora back, she look so badass and sexy in that mechon suit and the shorter hair. Hopefully its sooner than later.

Also, is there some kind of gift chart somewhere? Since some items give 2-3 hearts rather than 1 depending on the character, it would be really useful before i waste them with the wrong guys.
SecretMoblin
(04-17-2012, 07:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Bisnic

Also, is there some kind of gift chart somewhere? Since some items give 2-3 hearts rather than 1 depending on the character, it would be really useful before i waste them with the wrong guys.

There is, but it's on the all-knowing spreadsheet. Even visiting the gift chart spoils a major part of the game, so do it at your own peril—or at least until you have all your party members.

Here is the link.