• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm about an hour in and the game has some wicked pop ins. Soldiers in the background popping in and out. My sword disappeared while still fighting in the arena.

I have a fairly new 250GB 360 Slim, the game is installed.

pop-in was bad on PC too. But no, I had no dissapearing swords.

2AdEPT

You can revert to other difficultis form Dark but then you can't go back and you lose all armour acquired.The only thing that I would warn noobs like me is that there is a place in the game where you get stripped of your magic and alcehmy...if you don't update your sword path it is ssimply brutal on Dark. I normally bring a tonne of traps if I can't mellee a tough enemy and these were sttripped as well.
end of act 2 you play as a wraith
That said Dark is by far the best setting...cool armour options and best challenge balance (at least up til start of Act 3 wehere I am.)

I have no shame in saying that's the only part i finished using a trainer in a game. Doing that with magic build sucked terribly.

Also is there a mod to revert the weird effect you have when you equip the only dark mode equipment? In my last playthrough i did most of the second half of the game without using them only because i hated it.

Sorry, 'trainer?' Does that mean you used help form a walkthrough or wiki or that you were able to train using a mod? I couldn't find anything that would help me much on that part, other than that there was
a safe spot some guy used to get by. Actually I think it was just that if you stood right next tot the perimeter (or even in it temporarily, the enemies are disinterested and walk back to the centre of the battle area allowing you to SLOWLY recharge to full health.)
I had to use that strategy to get by despite making it by al the other tough eneies to that point with my magic and special armours and swords from the Dark path. For example the huge boss after that part went down in 3-4 attempts where as that first part took 3-4 hours of my life with countless reloads, each time with the cutscene eating my time (even with pressing the button to speed through it stioll takes time.)

Exactly, no shame in using whatever method to get outa that situation...even with being able to recharge fully it STILL took me antoher 4-5 attempts to finaly get it done.

Grisby

Just picked it up from Target.

I didn't know it was going to come with a booklet thingy, map, and OST for the game. Bravo CDR and thanks for the goodies. Also, love the colors of the cover art.

Re-read Last Wish over the week so I am primed for some Witchery goodness. That, and my glitches with Fez make it prime time for monster slaying.

Salaadin

Sorry, 'trainer?' Does that mean you used help form a walkthrough or wiki? I couldn't find anything that would help me much on that part, other than that there was
a safe spot some guy used to get by. Actually I think it was just that if you stood right next tot the perimeter (or even in it temporarily, the enemies are disinterested and walk back to the centre of the battle area allowing you to SLOWLY recharge to full health.
I had to use that strategy to get by despite making it by al the other tough eneies to that point with my magic and special armours and swords from the Dark path. For example the huge boss after that part went down in 3-4 attempts where as that first part took 3-4 hours of my life with countless reloads, each time with the cutscene eating my time (even with pressing the button to speed through it stioll takes time.)

Trainer, from what I understand, is an external program that you can run that gives you invincibility, unlimited magic, etc.

Izick

I'm about to go trade-in some games (I know, I'm a corporate whore and part of the problem) to get this. This is basically my last ditch effort to get my enthusiasm for gaming back. For some reason I've just been in a slump where I don't want to play anything, or even read news anymore. I picked up my 360 controller yesterday, and it actually had a layer of dust on it. :s

So what's the consensus on the 360 version so far? Amazing?

Salaadin

I'm about to go trade-in some games (I know, I'm a corporate whore and part of the problem) to get this. This is basically my last ditch effort to get my enthusiasm for gaming back. For some reason I've just been in a slump where I don't want to play anything, or even read news anymore. I picked up my 360 controller yesterday, and it actually had a layer of dust on it. :s

So what's the consensus on the 360 version so far? Amazing?

Aside from a few naggling issues, most people Ive seen love the 360 version.

Izick

Aside from a few naggling issues, most people Ive seen love the 360 version.

That's good. Are you talking about like some pop-in and slowdown? From what I've seen of the game, I can definitely take some of that for what looks to be a perfect RPG for me.

I'M EXCITED! :p

Salaadin

That's good. Are you talking about like some pop-in and slowdown? From what I've seen of the game, I can definitely take some of that for what looks to be a perfect RPG for me.

I'M EXCITED! :p

Most common stuff Ive seen has been pop in, minor slowdown, and some issues with the user interface. Bear in mind that its highly recommended that you install the game to the 360 HDD first so make some room if you can.

Izick

Most common stuff Ive seen has been pop in, minor slowdown, and some issues with the user interface. Bear in mind that its highly recommended that you install the game to the 360 HDD first so make some room if you can.

Cool. Yeah, I've basically come to expect that with any game though. I have a little 20gb HDD, but I still manage to make room for about 8 gigs or so. Just enough extra memory so I can keep a game installed, because it usually does improve performance, but it always keeps my fat white 360 quiet(ish).

2AdEPT

Trainer, from what I understand, is an external program that you can run that gives you invincibility, unlimited magic, etc.

Makes sense, if I wasn't so pumped for the EE last night I would have started over and done a new game, but I needed all new content for some reason, and found that glitch/safe spot.

Edit: @ Grisby:

YEs, but you will want to use each magic for different situaitons. Ard is great for one on one enemies that are tough..it knocks them back allowing you to get one or two shots in...then go back to your riposte stance adn wait for the next opening/recharge. Yrden and AXii are good for mobs where you get overpowered. THe first time I had wraiths attack for example I needed the Axii or I would not have made it past on Dark difficulty. You are forced to use Yrden on the first major boss, so get familiar early. Quen ws nerfed a bit but it is still a good failsafe for eliminating at least the initial hit from the enemy..use it while throwing bombs etc. and unless you have a plan for uisng your vigor, you will probably wnat to use it while approaching new enemies "just in case." On Dark difficulty, I am not ashamed that I used traps to get by the most difficult enemies. I was a noob and still wanted Dark so using these things was the only way I could do it with my limiotied practice. Obviously, by setting traps you are not actully fighting, but who's to syahat using your genetically enhanced brain is not part of the deal? AS such I always used alchemy as well...which was pretty standard practice...usually I was able to figure out when I would need ot prepare ahead in order to get the right buff on the sword for the right enemy etc. ALlthese things make the game much more rich where as on easy mode you are not challenged enough I feel and its easier to just mash X and be done with it.

owlbeak

Is the weight limit really that big of a deal in this game? Would it be shameful of me to use the no-weight mod? It just seems cumbersome (no pun intended) and is just a bother to me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got my Dark Edition from Best Buy. Apparently I was the ONLY person among the entire pre-order list to actually get the Dark Edition. They only had one shipped to the store and it had my name on it. The manager was even called over to the register when I stopped in to pick-up to explain how crazy it has been for them all morning. Angry and upset people all morning that didn't get their pre-orders fulfilled asking to take my copy, some guy even willing to pay $250 on the spot for it!

The manager even mentioned to check Ebay right now as the Dark Edition is in such high demand. (Edit: Just checked Ebay, prices are hardly crazy) I could tell he was humbled and disappointed in his company given all the customers he had to turn away that were expecting fulfillments.

Yikes, I just pre-ordered online in February with store pickup, which may be the reason I lucked out, since almost all of the others were in-store pre-orders that got cancelled.

Now I am debating opening it up myself.

Complistic

Is the weight limit really that big of a deal in this game? Would it be shameful of me to use the no-weight mod? It just seems cumbersome (no pun intended) and is just a bother to me.

It was when the game first came out but they patched in a storage chest in the first patch. The weight limit shouldn't be a problem unless you're going around looting every piece of timber you can get your hands on.

1stStrike

Banned
Here I go - diving into the enhanced edition for my 3rd play through. Going to go play it on the harder difficulty this time!

I hope they balanced out the trees so that chemistry is more useful than before.

owlbeak

It was when the game first came out but they patched in a storage chest in the first patch. The weight limit shouldn't be a problem unless you're going around looting every piece of timber you can get your hands on.
Where might I find said storage chest? I'm in the middle of Act II,
sided with Roche
at the end of Act I.

Jacob4815

I have not enough space on the X360 HDD... :(

Is this thing possible?

- Install the first disk.
- In the middle of the game, delete the first installation
- Install the second disk.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
7088512651_f2781b8fa5_c.jpg

I've played it on the PC twice; can't wait to delve into the EE on X360. This is a wonderful game, and I'm glad there seems to be at least a fair amount of excitement in this thread.

Best Buy wouldn't price match the $45 TRU price, but I finally convinced them to PM the Target $50 price, and give me a T-Shirt. Can't complain.

bryehn

Not sure I'm digging the combat yet and apparently I missed finding the Assassin skill in the early going according to my guide, which I admittedly should have read first. :/

Will I always have to keep mapping traps/bombs, etc to my pockets?

Love the atmosphere/world, reminds me of a cross between Skyrim and Amalur in a lot of ways. Also surprised by the great sound design and competent acting. Looks pretty great for a 360 game, but the performance has been a bit janky so far. Why does the arm wrestling meter seem to run at 5 fps lol.

Also wish you could adjust the camera sensitivity.

Tek

I just picked up my preorder at gamestop and was told that I couldn't receive the wolf keychain since I didn't preorder by April 1st.

I said where was that communicated to me at anytime? No one said, hey btw you won't get the keychain since you didn't preorder soon enough. It wasn't on their website either. I said it was the whole reason why I preordered at gamestop to begin with in lieu of TRU selling the game cheaper and Best Buy offering a shirt...

He said he was sorry, but unless someone fails to pickup their preorder...there is nothing they can do.

So I e-mailed corporate to see what they might do...I'm optimistic but I'm sure that is because I'm used to Amazon's customer service...I figure Gamestop won't do anything but say they are sorry then offer me a 5.00 gift card...

:(

I've been shopping at Gamestop when it was Funcoland...I'm 31 years old and I remember getting my dad to drive me up there to pick up games...this is the 1st time I wanted to knock over a magazine rack if they had one...I guess I should be thankful for that...sigh...totally bummed...

i-Lo

My only gripe so far. Seems extremely sensitive, especially when fine tuning bombs and such.

As a plasma tv user, another big gripe is that lack of opacity control for the HUD (on PC, the HUD can be made to disappear but there is no corresponding feature for consoles). I am yet to buy the game, but lack of camera control sensitivity and this are two big gripes. Perhaps they can patch it in.

KorrZ

Wow so, CDPR are gods. I am beyond impressed with the EE for 360, I just got a chance to crack it open. For 49.99$ you get:

The game
Official soundtrack
little map of the world
a quest handbook that lists all of the quests in the game and where they occur.

That's like the collectors edition for some games...and you get this for less than full price.

/bow /bow

subversus

Not sure I'm digging the combat yet and apparently I missed finding the Assassin skill in the early going according to my guide, which I admittedly should have read first. :/

yep, should have looked for this easter egg. It was near the catapult.

The-Witcher-2-Assassins-Creed-Easter-Egg.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have not enough space on the X360 HDD... :(

Is this thing possible?

- Install the first disk.
- In the middle of the game, delete the first installation
- Install the second disk.

Yep, this will work. It's playable without installing, so deleting the first installed disc to make room for the second won't harm anything. I had to do this when I was playing ME2 on 360, but TW2 shouldn't be as annoying since I assume the disc change is a one time thing between Acts.

Just got my Dark Edition from Best Buy. Apparently I was the ONLY person among the entire pre-order list to actually get the Dark Edition. They only had one shipped to the store and it had my name on it. The manager was even called over to the register when I stopped in to pick-up to explain how crazy it has been for them all morning. Angry and upset people all morning that didn't get their pre-orders fulfilled asking to take my copy, some guy even willing to pay $250 on the spot for it!

The manager even mentioned to check Ebay right now as the Dark Edition is in such high demand. (Edit: Just checked Ebay, prices are hardly crazy) I could tell he was humbled and disappointed in his company given all the customers he had to turn away that were expecting fulfillments.

Yikes, I just pre-ordered online in February with store pickup, which may be the reason I lucked out, since almost all of the others were in-store pre-orders that got cancelled.

Now I am debating opening it up myself.

Woah... that's the same exact story with me as well. Only person to pre-order it and I too was told lots of customers were trying to buy my copy. I had a scare though because I came into the store when they first opened up and the game was still in transit so I wasn't sure if I was going to get the game today at all. It came in soon after I left but I couldn't make it back there until lunch time.

And there's no debate for me on whether or not I should open it. Seems like this is a collector's edition that is actually rare so it makes it even more valuable to me personally.

1Uz6Ol.jpg

graywolf323

well I guess I have a spare copy of The Witcher 2 for GOG now

I had bought the game on GOG at release and then a friend gifted me a copy on Steam during the Christmas sale

Eusis

Damn, for once we get stupidly early numbers that AREN'T from THAT SITE! Though I do hope sales beyond pre-orders are higher, game definitely deserves more recognition.

So. Uh. Why are some of the scenes (up to and including early Floatsm) having random moments of TERRIBLY BAD HORRIBLE GERALT VOICE. Like, did they get a new VA for random scenes and specifically tell him to fuck it up? Its so jarring, so completely different from the normal voice.

Enjoying the game otherwise.

MBison

Is the EE up for straight download on GOG yet or do you still have to download the previous version and then patch it for ridiculous gig downloads?

subversus

still preorders are usually just a fraction of overall sales. I expect it to outsell PC version in US and UK because that is how these countries roll.

Only just past the prologue but man this game is great. So much more engaging than Skyrim (maybe thats blaspheme around these parts?) The combat is actually interesting (albeit difficult) All and all really enjoying it. I must ask though I had a section where I went into "stealth" mode is there a way I can actively decide I wanna be in stealth mode? Sneaking up and beating guards down was a good time, would like to be able to do that at will.

Top Bottom