• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Eyeless shrimp and fish with lesions are becoming common, with BP oil pollution believed to be the likely cause.

New Orleans, LA - "The fishermen have never seen anything like this," Dr Jim Cowan told Al Jazeera. "And in my 20 years working on red snapper, looking at somewhere between 20 and 30,000 fish, I've never seen anything like this either."

Dr Cowan, with Louisiana State University's Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences started hearing about fish with sores and lesions from fishermen in November 2010.

Cowan's findings replicate those of others living along vast areas of the Gulf Coast that have been impacted by BP's oil and dispersants.

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP's 2010 oil disaster.

Along with collapsing fisheries, signs of malignant impact on the regional ecosystem are ominous: horribly mutated shrimp, fish with oozing sores, underdeveloped blue crabs lacking claws, eyeless crabs and shrimp - and interviewees' fingers point towards BP's oil pollution disaster as being the cause.

Eyeless shrimp

Tracy Kuhns and her husband Mike Roberts, commercial fishers from Barataria, Louisiana, are finding eyeless shrimp.

"At the height of the last white shrimp season, in September, one of our friends caught 400 pounds of these," Kuhns told Al Jazeera while showing a sample of the eyeless shrimp.

According to Kuhns, at least 50 per cent of the shrimp caught in that period in Barataria Bay, a popular shrimping area that was heavily impacted by BP's oil and dispersants, were eyeless. Kuhns added: "Disturbingly, not only do the shrimp lack eyes, they even lack eye sockets."

201241683729150734_3.jpg

Source.

Oh wow but I thought oil spills were harmless and that all of the alarm over the oil spill was just a bunch of drama stirred up by leftists with an agenda.

From the article:

Darla Rooks, a lifelong fisherperson from Port Sulfur, Louisiana, told Al Jazeera she is finding crabs "with holes in their shells, shells with all the points burned off so all the spikes on their shells and claws are gone, misshapen shells, and crabs that are dying from within … they are still alive, but you open them up and they smell like they've been dead for a week".

Welcome to my nightmares, living dead crabs

Knew that time itself would reveal the damage. I'm sure we'll see a lot more oddities soon.

Yup. This is only the beginning, sadly.

Stet

Banned
DARWIN
Hello, Mr. Burns.

BURNS
Oh, hello, Charles. Be a good fellow and tell our viewers about your theory of natural selection.

DARWIN
Glad to, Mr. Burns. You see, every so often, Mother Nature changes our animals, giving them bigger teeth, sharper claws, longer legs or, in this case, a third eye. And if the variations turn out to be an improvement, the new animals thrive and multiply, and spread across the face of the earth.

BURNS
So you're saying this fish might actually have an advantage over other fish? It might actually be a kind of "Super Fish".

DARWIN
I wouldn't mind having a third eye, would you?

BURNS
(chuckling) No. you see friends, if our anti-nuclear nay-sayers and choose-upsiders were to come upon an elephant frolicking in the waters next to our nuclear power plant, they'd probably blame his ridiculous nose on the nuclear boogeyman. The truth is, this fish is a miracle of nature, with a taste that can't be beat. Mmm-mm! So, to summarize, say what you want about me. I can take the slings and arrows, but stop slandering poor, defenseless, Blinky. Good night, and God bless.

Sadly, due to the report coming from Al-Jazeera it might not gain much traction with the public here in the US, where it matters the most, due to the connection many people still have with it being a terrorist supporting news organization. I hope our national media picks up on this so more people can know the extent this damage is doing and what it will continue to do.

Pastry

Banned
I live in Galveston, Texas now and I am extremely lucky that we escaped a majority of the damage from the oil spill. I can't think of which would be shittier to deal with a hurricane or a major oil spill on one of the platforms near the island. I'd probably lose a lot of stuff in the event of a major hurricane (where I live now took about 2 feet of water during Ike) but at least once the island is cleaned up it's back to rebuilding. A major oil spill would just be fucking miserable to deal with and the after effects last for a long ass time.

sazzy

What's the lifecycle of the fish/shrimp/crabs etc like? As in, how long?

I'd be really shocked if these mutations came up in one or two generations :|

HeySeuss

Bu...Bu...Bu... BP told me that its all cleaned up and no harm done? They even said we can take vacations down there again. Surely they wouldn't mislead the consumers by minimizing the damage they caused, would they?

UraMallas

DARWIN
Hello, Mr. Burns.

BURNS
Oh, hello, Charles. Be a good fellow and tell our viewers about your theory of natural selection.

DARWIN
Glad to, Mr. Burns. You see, every so often, Mother Nature changes our animals, giving them bigger teeth, sharper claws, longer legs or, in this case, a third eye. And if the variations turn out to be an improvement, the new animals thrive and multiply, and spread across the face of the earth.

BURNS
So you're saying this fish might actually have an advantage over other fish? It might actually be a kind of "Super Fish".

DARWIN

BURNS
(chuckling) No. you see friends, if our anti-nuclear nay-sayers and choose-upsiders were to come upon an elephant frolicking in the waters next to our nuclear power plant, they'd probably blame his ridiculous nose on the nuclear boogeyman. The truth is, this fish is a miracle of nature, with a taste that can't be beat. Mmm-mm! So, to summarize, say what you want about me. I can take the slings and arrows, but stop slandering poor, defenseless, Blinky. Good night, and God bless.

Bravo, sir. I was going to make a Simpsons joke but you took it the extra step.

fighting a disaster (the second worst oil spill in history) with an even worse disaster (hundret of thousands tons of super toxical dispersants) was clearly a great idea

there are still massive oil/dispersants plumes under the surface

much worse things will come

DARWIN
Hello, Mr. Burns.

BURNS

DARWIN

BURNS

DARWIN

BURNS
This show used to be so brilliant.

Is it just me or does it seem that there are a few companies that are going out of the way to mess the ecosystem up with their "misadventures" that still allow them to continue trading?

Again, all of the people at BP responsible from top to bottom should be, at minimum, in jail for life with no chance of parole. I think the death penalty might be appropriate for some of the higher ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom