• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

As my inventory filled up with 16dps flamberge's that no one in their right mind would buy, my last thought was how attached I was to what was being created :p Flamberge's only cost 1700 gold to create (700 to make, 1000 for the 9 subtle essences), so I can't imagine what I'll be feeling when the item I'm creating is tens or hundreds of thousands of gold per go and I get duds.

Selling anything (other than Gold) in the auction house is going to be a crap shoot. For some reason the business/economics/finance/etc major (need to make that decision quick unless I want a standard BBA) in me wants to at least pay for the game while playing it, now that it's a possibility.

Edit: As a little experiment, I bought like 200 subtle essence and decided to make nothing but Flamberge's. Out of the 25 or so I made, I got roughly 80% 16dps junk (the lowest they can be is 16), maybe 15% stuff in the 18-18.9 range, and 5% in the 19-19.8 range. I didn't get a single one that topped 20 DPS. It seems like no one buys the ones that go below 19, so I essentially got 95% junk for my efforts. The 5% that wasn't junk may pay for the material costs or it may not. In any case, if you don't get really lucky and land on one with good stats, you may not pay back the material costs.

Buyer beware when the retail version hits and you'll be able to buy crafting supplies with real money. I advise thinking long and hard about the math before doing it. (This PSA isn't for anyone in particular).

I hope Blizzard keeps extensive data on auctions that have taken place and is willing to put that data out. It would be fascinating to see the price of gold (for instance) over time, and whether it fluctuated depending on the day of the week, hour, etc. It would also make it a lot easier for people to figure out how much their items are worth, compared to the system as it existed when I left Diablo II "Well, that's worth one...maybe one and a half Stones of Jordan"

Fascinating stuff.

Personally, I think it would be more interesting to see whether the RMAH can be manipulated for short periods of time using trading "techniques" that are essentially banned in today's financial markets.

Ricker

Guys,a little late with this but I turned on Elective mode last evening and I don't see any difference...? I thought I could drag the skill icons in the only 2 spots that are left,but the lock is still on them,and I can't and the arrow is still pointing to the first 2 slots to the left of the task bar on the bottom,that really has only 6 slots(2 for the left/right click on the right)...

Fascinating stuff.

Personally, I think it would be more interesting to see whether the RMAH can be manipulated for short periods of time using trading "techniques" that are essentially banned in today's financial markets.

Haha, thatd be awesome. I'd have a guy at blizzard to handle my insider trading. "Patch is comin out soon thats gonna buff the hell out of this item, buy as many as you can". I can see it now!

ParityBit

So I have a question about the D3 accounts.

I have a CE edition ordered through Amazon but it is not release day delivery (I am prime and have no idea why not)

If I ordered a normal copy (digital maybe) can I upgrade my account once I get the CE version? Seems asinine though.

Lothars

Guys,a little late with this but I turned on Elective mode last evening and I don't see any difference...? I thought I could drag the skill icons in the only 2 spots that are left,but the lock is still on them,and I can't and the arrow is still pointing to the first 2 slots to the left of the task bar on the bottom,that really has only 6 slots(2 for the left/right click on the right)...
If you go to skills than you will see where you can assign them to the mouse buttons or to the number keys after you've turned on Elective mode.

I have a CE edition ordered through Amazon but it is not release day delivery (I am prime and have no idea why not)

If I ordered a normal copy (digital maybe) can I upgrade my account once I get the CE version? Seems asinine though.
Yes you can and it will upgrade normally but not sure if it will give you two copies of the game in your lists. It might though.

Elective mode allows you to switch skill categories, it doesn't unlock still locked skills/additional skill spots. Go to your primary skill category, click on the arrows to the left or right of the skills, and it lets you change a the category to secondary, defense, etc.

forrest

formerly nacire

Unfortunately elective mode doesn't unlock your entire hotbar allowing you to put skills wherever you would like. This is one of my problems with the current setup. I really want the entire hotbar available from lvl 1.

What elective mode does do, is allow you to assign multiple skills from the same category at the same time. In default mode, you can only assign one primary, one secondary, etc. etc.

forrest

formerly nacire

This is what I'm doing somewhat. I ordered the annual pass as I also play WoW, giving me the free digital download. I also have a release day delivery of the CE coming from Amazon on the 15th. When I upgrade my Diablo 3 license, Blizzard will credit the difference to my WoW annual subscription.

I'm not sure how you could get Blizzard to credit you the difference if you upgraded, but don't have the annual pass. Would be nice if they could credit you Blizzard store credits for using their RMAH or just be able to purchase some other things through their store.

Leckan

I noted on the official item page that wrists doesn't change appearance like other armor-type items like belts/gloves/boots and shoulders even does. Is this true of the game too?

Also:
Radiant Star Ruby:

Helm: Increases Experience Rewarded per Kill by 31%

Weapon:+20–40 Damage

Wouldn't 20%-40% be a lot more useful than fixed numbers?

Hansel

Banned
At least no one can say Blizzard doesn't have a sense of humour!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/unity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toAEQTsidvg

chappelle_couch.gif

LordCanti

Fascinating stuff.

They've got somewhat annoying checks and balances to keep that from happening. From what I've read (if this has changed, someone let me know) there is a fee for putting an item in the RMAH whether it sells or not. There's also a time delay between buying an item in the RMAH and selling it (24 hours I think, in the beta). They've completely kneecapped anyone that may have day traded gold for instance :p

I've read forum posts by people planning to sink a grand or two into the game in order to get up and running with high level crafting/gemming/etc, and so that they can buy low and sell high. I think these people are crazy. Blizzard and paypal are going to tag team the life out of anyone that tries to cash out in the RMAH. Blizzard charges a fee for you to put the item up, then a fee when it sells, and potentially a third fee (I need to check on this) when you try to cash your money out. I don't know how you'd make consistent money doing that.

chiablo

I played through as a Witch Doctor and had much fun being a master of spiders...

So I saw that you can equip a weapon, but I never once used it. None of his abilities use a melee weapon, so what's the point of even equipping one? Does it affect the damage that your primary attack does, or is it just for the added bonuses (+exp, etc.)?

ParityBit

This is what I'm doing somewhat. I ordered the annual pass as I also play WoW, giving me the free digital download. I also have a release day delivery of the CE coming from Amazon on the 15th. When I upgrade my Diablo 3 license, Blizzard will credit the difference to my WoW annual subscription.

I'm not sure how you could get Blizzard to credit you the difference if you upgraded, but don't have the annual pass. Would be nice if they could credit you Blizzard store credits for using their RMAH or just be able to purchase some other things through their store.

Are you sure your CE is coming on the 15th? They said for that product there is no guarantee of release day delivery. Mine is slated for the 16th (Therein lies my issue) I had pre-ordered November of last year when it first posted and have been a prime member forever.

ElyrionX

They've got somewhat annoying checks and balances to keep that from happening. From what I've read (if this has changed, someone let me know) there is a fee for putting an item in the RMAH whether it sells or not. There's also a time delay between buying an item in the RMAH and selling it (24 hours I think, in the beta). They've completely kneecapped anyone that may have day traded gold for instance :p

I've read forum posts by people planning to sink a grand or two into the game in order to get up and running with high level crafting/gemming/etc, and so that they can buy low and sell high. I think these people are crazy. Blizzard and paypal are going to tag team the life out of anyone that tries to cash out in the RMAH. Blizzard charges a fee for you to put the item up, then a fee when it sells, and potentially a third fee (I need to check on this) when you try to cash your money out. I don't know how you'd make consistent money doing that.

Has it even been confirmed that Paypal will be the financial service that Blizzard uses to faciliate transactions in the RMAH?

EDIT: Never mind. Googled and found the answer. Paypal it is. Damnit, I don't wish to create a Paypal account.

I played through as a Witch Doctor and had much fun being a master of spiders...

So I saw that you can equip a weapon, but I never once used it. None of his abilities use a melee weapon, so what's the point of even equipping one? Does it affect the damage that your primary attack does, or is it just for the added bonuses (+exp, etc.)?

All of your attacks are scaled to weapon damage. (Corpse Spiders are 16% weapon damage per spider, etc.)

LordCanti

Has it even been confirmed that Paypal will be the financial service that Blizzard uses to faciliate transactions in the RMAH?

EDIT: Never mind. Googled and found the answer. Paypal it is. Damnit, I don't wish to create a Paypal account.

Yeah, I screamed "NOOOO!!!!!" pretty loud when I found out. I knew it would happen though.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the RMAH is going to be a great place to cash out high spec set items/legendaries, and a horrible place for anyone looking to sell anything else. If someone is searching for X item that has a potential +STR (for example) of 1-10, only the ones that are at +10 are going to sell. There will be pages and pages full of them due to the sheer amount of people playing the game, and why would someone spend actual money for an item that wasn't as high spec as they could get? It's like that now in the beta, except the lower spec items are mitigated to the betabuck portion of the auction house and not the gold portion (since betabucks are useless right now, no one is putting the best stuff in that section). People with gold will have their choice of the second rate stuff, and people with actual money will have access to the best stuff.

GAF pledge: I will not spend a cent in the RMAH. I will make due with loot I get playing the game, or bought from the gold auction house, and I'll be happy with it.

Yeah, I screamed "NOOOO!!!!!" pretty loud when I found out. I knew it would happen though.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the RMAH is going to be a great place to cash out high spec set items/legendaries, and a horrible place for anyone looking to sell anything else. If someone is searching for X item that has a potential +STR (for example) of 1-10, only the ones that are at +10 are going to sell. There will be pages and pages full of them due to the sheer amount of people playing the game, and why would someone spend actual money for an item that wasn't as high spec as they could get? It's like that now in the beta, except the lower spec items are mitigated to the betabuck portion of the auction house and not the gold portion (since betabucks are useless right now, no one is putting the best stuff in that section). People with gold will have their choice of the second rate stuff, and people with actual money will have access to the best stuff.

GAF pledge: I will not spend a cent in the RMAH. I will make due with loot I get playing the game, or bought from the gold auction house, and I'll be happy with it.

Well... theoretically a fair market value will naturally be set for each item, and someone not willing to pay 500 BetaBucks for a +10 STR weapon might find 400 BetaBucks for a +9 STR worth the money.

It's possible that there will be massive depreciation below a certain quality, though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So does a skill that does %weapon damage only take from a weapon's damage? Is it random like a normal attack? If a weapon's damage is 1-10 does a skill do damage between 1*1.7 and 10*1.7? Will a weapon with a smaller min/max damage do more consistent damage? Is a high damage, slow weapon better for skills than a higher DPS/faster but lower weapon rating weapon?

And how does dual (crossbow) wielding play into this? Are both hands averaged? Hell, I'm curious as to how DH dual wielding DPS in general.

people often buy fast food cause its cheaper :p But yea, what Joe said.

LordCanti

Well... theoretically a fair market value will naturally be set for each item, and someone not willing to pay 500 BetaBucks for a +10 STR weapon might find 400 BetaBucks for a +9 STR worth the money.

It's possible that there will be massive depreciation below a certain quality, though.

Theoretically, but we're talking about human beings here. If they're taking the step of paying for an item (because they can't get it otherwise) are they going to settle for the next to top of the line item, or spend the (realistically) buck fifty more for top of the line kit. Again, this could be naivete over how much people are actually going to be willing to spend on this game. If the difference between a 300dmg maul and a 280dmg maul is $100, then yeah, people are likely going to settle for the 280dmg maul :p

Maybe the beta is skewing my perception on this. There isn't a whole lot to look for in the beta beyond DPS, +attack %, Dex/STR/INT/etc. Throw in sockets, and a larger pool of items (spread across a wider spectrum of player levels) and it may not be the case that a level 45 barb goes to the marketplace and finds twenty identical +10 str whatevers (theoretical top of the line kit for the level/his build style) and doesn't even consider the +9's.

Then again...there will be millions of people playing, so who knows.

V_Arnold

LordCanti, yep, it is skewing your perception big time.

Stats will scale so much upwards that it is not going to matter if a sword is +121 str or +122. What matters is that it is a 121-124str dps weapon, not a 109-112 one - and although these are made-up numbers, there have been talks about this, and the high-end stats will be big, with serious gaps allowed so a difference between a strong rare (stat-wise) and a medium rare (stat-wise) is huge, but the individual points will not matter that much as you feel like it, imho.

I am planning on maximizing my efficiency, yet I will ALWAYS go for that cheaper solution if the difference is 1-2 points. Always.

Edit: also, no point in looking for "theoretical best" in anywhere pre-60. Why? You will outlevel that gear anyway.

forrest

formerly nacire
I noted on the official item page that wrists doesn't change appearance like other armor-type items like belts/gloves/boots and shoulders even does. Is this true of the game too?

Rings, Amulets, Belts and Bracers do not change your in game appearance. The chest armor seems to affect bracer graphics on your character model though.

Are you sure your CE is coming on the 15th? They said for that product there is no guarantee of release day delivery. Mine is slated for the 16th (Therein lies my issue) I had pre-ordered November of last year when it first posted and have been a prime member forever.

d3ordergxuyv.jpg

Also I would like to update my official Battletag entry for the GAF spreadsheet to include:

Forrest#1440
United States
Demon Hunter

Theoretically, but we're talking about human beings here. If they're taking the step of paying for an item (because they can't get it otherwise) are they going to settle for the next to top of the line item, or spend the (realistically) buck fifty more for top of the line kit. Again, this could be naivete over how much people are actually going to be willing to spend on this game. If the difference between a 300dmg maul and a 280dmg maul is $100, then yeah, people are likely going to settle for the 280dmg maul :p

Maybe the beta is skewing my perception on this. There isn't a whole lot to look for in the beta beyond DPS, +attack %, Dex/STR/INT/etc. Throw in sockets, and a larger pool of items (spread across a wider spectrum of player levels) and it may not be the case that a level 45 barb goes to the marketplace and finds twenty identical +10 str whatevers (theoretical top of the line kit for the level/his build style) and doesn't even consider the +9's.

Then again...there will be millions of people playing, so who knows.

I think what you're going to find is that an item with maxed stats will sell for a lot, and then things will depreciate drastically from there (so a +10 would sell for like $20 where a +9 would sell for like $10) but after that things would depreciate more smoothly (a +8 for $8, a +7 for $7.50, a +6 for $7, etc.). There will always be people willing to pay a premium for the "best" weapon, but for the rest of us, it'll probably have a smooth, logical progression.

I have no data to back up my theory, and am basically talking out my ass. It's just what I think is gonna happen.

forrest

formerly nacire
LordCanti, yep, it is skewing your perception big time.

Stats will scale so much upwards that it is not going to matter if a sword is +121 str or +122. What matters is that it is a 121-124str dps weapon, not a 109-112 one - and although these are made-up numbers, there have been talks about this, and the high-end stats will be big, with serious gaps allowed so a difference between a strong rare (stat-wise) and a medium rare (stat-wise) is huge, but the individual points will not matter that much as you feel like it, imho.

I am planning on maximizing my efficiency, yet I will ALWAYS go for that cheaper solution if the difference is 1-2 points. Always.

Edit: also, no point in looking for "theoretical best" in anywhere pre-60. Why? You will outlevel that gear anyway.

This. Not that there won't be a market for some nice twink level items, but I see the initial market being focused around gold and crafting items until people start to trickle into later hell and inferno.

LordCanti

I think what you're going to find is that an item with maxed stats will sell for a lot, and then things will depreciate drastically from there (so a +10 would sell for like $20 where a +9 would sell for like $10) but after that things would depreciate more smoothly (a +8 for $8, a +7 for $7.50, a +6 for $7, etc.). There will always be people willing to pay a premium for the "best" weapon, but for the rest of us, it'll probably have a smooth, logical progression.

I have no data to back up my theory, and am basically talking out my ass. It's just what I think is gonna happen.

I hope you're right. I honestly think it will be more like $20 for the top kit, and then $5 for a second tier, maybe $2 for a third tier, and everything else will be unwanted junk though. I have just as much data to back up my theory as you, of course :p

The rarest of the rare items will probably fetch outrageous prices. I could see people getting into a bidding war over some bauble and giving some lucky bastard a pretty good payday.

This. Not that there won't be a market for some nice twink level items, but I see the initial market being focused around gold and crafting items until people start to trickle into later hell and inferno.

Not to give away my master plan, but if gold and crafting items are at all reasonably priced, I'll probably just cash them out and think of it as the game getting closer to free while I play it.

There is no longer any listing fee for the RMAH. Instead, there is a limit of 10 simultaneous auctions, or something along those lines.

There is a flat fee if your item sells, and a % paypal fee if you cash out of the system.

I hope you're right. I honestly think it will be more like $20 for the top kit, and then $5 for a second tier, maybe $2 for a third tier, and everything else will be unwanted junk though. I have just as much data to back up my theory as you, of course :p

The rarest of the rare items will probably fetch outrageous prices. I could see people getting into a bidding war over some bauble and giving some lucky bastard a pretty good payday.

Not to give away my master plan, but if gold and crafting items are at all reasonably priced, I'll probably just cash them out and think of it as the game getting closer to free while I play it.

Forums like d2jsp that use real money for fake currency used on d2 items had items that sold for the equivalent of thousands of dollars. I think you are drastically underestimating the amount people will pay to be lazy.

Even lower stat versions of some stuff can sell for quite a hefty chunk of change and while it wont sell anywhere near a perfect it will still be worth selling / buying for alot of people.

LordCanti

There is no longer any listing fee for the RMAH. Instead, there is a limit of 10 simultaneous auctions, or something along those lines.

There is a flat fee if your item sells, and a % paypal fee if you cash out of the system.

Aah, that was an either or thing huh? I thought it would be the listing fee for any items listed beyond the initial 10 or something. I guess that got scrapped.

That makes profiting in the RMAH easier, but it limits what you can do in a single day. Watch the biggest traders open multiple accounts for no other purpose than to list items.

Forums like d2jsp that use real money for fake currency used on d2 items had items that sold for the equivalent of thousands of dollars. I think you are drastically underestimating the amount people will pay to be lazy.

Even lower stat versions of some stuff can sell for quite a hefty chunk of change and while it wont sell anywhere near a perfect it will still be worth selling / buying for alot of people.

At places like that, you were paying for the legitimacy that going through a forum/respected site provided, right? Would prices get that high when it's legitimate, and people don't have to search around shady websites to find what they're looking for?

If items really do go for thousands, I'll personally cry every time I don't get a rare during a run.

Aesthet1c

So does a skill that does %weapon damage only take from a weapon's damage? Is it random like a normal attack? If a weapon's damage is 1-10 does a skill do damage between 1*1.7 and 10*1.7? Will a weapon with a smaller min/max damage do more consistent damage? Is a high damage, slow weapon better for skills than a higher DPS/faster but lower weapon rating weapon?

And how does dual (crossbow) wielding play into this? Are both hands averaged? Hell, I'm curious as to how DH dual wielding DPS in general.

I had lots of questions on this too, but I think I've got it all figured out now. Someone correct me I I'm wrong though.

Yes all skills do a % of weapon damage. Faster weapons with lower damage means your skill will attack faster with lower damage. Just like the weapon. This makes spells with longer cool downs benefit more from big 2 handed weapons.

When you dual wield, the weapon dps is averaged, but you get a 15% attack speed increase.

If you look at your inventory screen there is a section that shows your current DPS with everything applied. This is useful for comparing the benefits of different weapons.

Number45

I was under the impression that a digital CE was available for some reason, and that I can upgrade my digital licence (obtained via the annual pass) to it? Is that the case? Had a quick look on my account earlier and didn't see anywhere that I could upgrade. :(

Is it a legitimate CE, even though it's digital?

Kalnos

Banned
your best shot at a CE if you still want them is Ebay. I see Best Buy and Walmart are still taking pre-orders but I'm sure they're just overselling.

Number45

your best shot at a CE if you still want them is Ebay. I see Best Buy and Walmart are still taking pre-orders but I'm sure they're just overselling.
I'm not fussed about a physical copy, just thought I remembered something about a digital CE (or maybe I just assumed it existed).

Never mind, I can forget about it now. :)

chiablo

I was under the impression that a digital CE was available for some reason, and that I can upgrade my digital licence (obtained via the annual pass) to it? Is that the case? Had a quick look on my account earlier and didn't see anywhere that I could upgrade. :(

Is it a legitimate CE, even though it's digital?

I don't see anything in the Collector's Edition that is worth the money for a digital version. Are silly wings and a WoW pet worth the extra $40 to you?

I don't see anything in the Collector's Edition that is worth the money for a digital version. Are silly wings and a WoW pet worth the extra $40 to you?

Most digital CE aren't as exspensive as physical ones, often times only being like 10 bucks more then a normal digital purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom