• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 [use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I noticed. =/

I'm hoping it's just because it's early days and they'll make some alternate animations between now and then,

I hope you're right, but they didn't seem to care for that stuff going from C1 to C2. Considering that stealth is such a huge part of the game, we really need some damn variation.

injurai

Banned
Okay debunk time...

1. How the hell!!! did they build a truman show like dome around all of NYC while it was invested with insanely strong aliens!?!?!

2. Also why retake a city that is nothing but ruin???

3. Why not nuke it if it's its imperative to save man kinda to kill them all.

Most importantly, I usually get hyped about a ton of games only to find out how the big bad publishers got their claws in the devs. I don't trust this will be good, Day 365+

BlackJace

I've got to say, I'm digging that boxart. Sets the tone quite nicely.

The creators of that abomination known as the Arkham City GOTY box should take notes.

Nizz

you can only fire the bow while cloaked, and only specific arrow heads. (the exploding arrow heads will de-cloak you)
Yeah, somehow I missed that the first time I watched the video. At least it's cool that using it doesn't drain suit energy.

not really that impressive to me. If NanosuitNinja doesn't dig it then i'm definitely not sold. But i'll watch his Iron Man playthrough cause that guy channels god through his keyboard when he plays these games.
I love watching his videos! The way he plays these games is an art. I've watched his playthroughs of both Crysis 1 and 2. Picked up a couple little tips also.

Sometimes I try to pull off some of the stuff he does when I play but on console it's hard. For one, when things get hectic and the framerate dips and second trying to do some stuff with a controller is not easy.

I still don't see what is mediocre about the art direction. It looks fantastic and features a lot of interesting designs.

Both Crysis and Crysis 2 have excellent art direction.
Different strokes for different folks I guess because I agree 100%. Crysis 2 has both the excellent technical graphics and NYC never looked better. Not sure I understand why people are complaining about the art. The game looks fanatastic technically AND artistically and Crysis 3 is actually, in my opinion, going to have even better art because now you're adding more greenery and foliage on top of a city, urban landscape. What more could you ask for? It's the perfect mix!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is getting a lot of hate.

It's the same people that decided that Crysis 2 was terrible before playing it. The turnaround of positivity in that thread was crazy. Kind of the opposite of what happens in most OTs actually. Crytek did a bad job showing the more open bits of 2 before release and it looks like that's going to be the same case here. We need to wait for the game to really speak for itself.

scitek

There are a few vocal people.

It's the same people that decided that Crysis 2 was terrible before playing it. The turnaround of positivity in that thread was crazy. Kind of the opposite of what happens in most OTs actually. Crytek did a bad job showing the more open bits of 2 before release and it looks like that's going to be the same case here. We need to wait for the game to really speak for itself.

I remember the unfinished version leaking and it ended up getting positive word of mouth as a result.

Okay debunk time...

1. How the hell!!! did they build a truman show like dome around all of NYC while it was invested with insanely strong aliens!?!?!

Most importantly, I usually get hyped about a ton of games only to find out how the big bad publishers got their claws in the devs. I don't trust this will be good, Day 365+

Don't do this. I just watched The Fifth Element, and while I love that movie, it has such a stupid nonsensical backstory to it that my nose would bleed if I tried to dissect it. Just roll with some things.

All I need is a more tuned Crysis 2 with much better enemy AI and I'm in for whatever they Crytek has in mind.

It is terrible compared to Crysis 1. Did I miss the thread where everybody took back that opinion?

The levels are small and cramped compared to C1, the story that was barely there in C1 is in your face all the time in C2, as in your face as the story is most people still wouldn't be able to tell you wtf was going or name more than 2 characters, GIANT GUNS ALL UP IN YOUR FACE, worst A.I. in a modern game.

Doesn't mean it's still not a AAA shooter. And the best looking one out there. I still enjoy it. But that doesn't mean anything that people were complaining about didnt turn out to be true.

Again, the writing in Crysis 2 reminded me of this video from The Onion.

G_Berry

Banned
I can't believe all of the bad reactions.

Crysis 2 was one of the best shooters of last year and set a new benchmark for visuals on the PC (top notch visuals + super quick performance). Loved the hell out of it just as I did the original Crysis.

I feel as if people were far too quick to slam it simply because it appeared on consoles.
I agree. I think because most people played it on console (where it looked and ran like shit) their experience was tainted.

Oh well, their loss.

(trailer is a bit fail though)

Okay debunk time...

1)Dude easy mang...... Nano machines!!!!

2)Better Nano machines!!

3)Destroys nano machines!!

Also:

1. What's the matter with being set in NY again? Considering it's now all rubble filled with vegetation and what not the levels will be completely different than those in C2.

2. About recycling content, was Majora's Mask considered just an expansion of OoT? And even if it was, was it a bad game?

Some people are just crazy.

Nizz

I agree. I think because most people played it on console (where it looked and ran like shit) their experience was tainted.

Oh well, their loss.

(trailer is a bit fail though)
The opposite for me. My first time with the franchise was on console and I fell in love with it. At a time where more scripted shooters are the norm, the more open approach to taking on enemies was pretty refreshing to me. The suit powers, verticality, on the fly gun modding was all great to me.

The res was low and the hud was weirdly stretched on PS3, and the framerate wasn't always the greatest. But the core gameplay was there for me.

Smokey

5 pages deep for a trailer of a game that won't be out until 2013.

people are talking about it, good or bad. and when it launches dudes will still put parts in their machines to try and max this game out on PC. even though it got toned down for consoles crysis is a hardware mover on the pc side.

Izayoi

Banned
To be totally honest, it doesn't really seem like there's much of a city left to "take back".

Maybe it's just me...

squidyj

Okay debunk time...

1. NFC
2. I don't know, tech?
3. Seems like Crynet sold humanity on the idea that this shit is good for them and Prophet is acting as a rogue agent. I don't think the nanosuit has nukes installed :l

derFeef

http://i.minus.com/iWRQ2pzFBpvqo.png

If that's not console footage, they're certainly not maxing it out on PC are they?

I meant that you think they cut it so fast on purpose so you can't see the aliasing.
They can't win anway. Hiqh quality PC footage: "yeah right that's not how it looks". Realtime footage: "man they should have used the PC version".

Okay debunk time...

1. 50 years went by, so who knows. Aslso scifi plot/game/movie/excuse
2. It's not ruins.
3. Kinda hard with Cell on the trigger.

Saty

Wii U version 'highly unlikely'.

Speaking with Destructoid, Højengaard stated that there is “not a fat chance” the game will appear on Nintendo’s next home console.

“I don’t think it’s possible. Right now the launch platforms are PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I don’t think it’s on the cards to do a Wii U version,” he clarified.
“I would say that our game is less reliant on technical capabilities this time around because of the setting,” Højengaard explained. “You could remove a lot of the fancy render tech and still it’d look great… we want to ensure that the experience of playing the game is not going to differ from platform to platform, only the fidelity of the visuals.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/25/crysis-3-on-wii-u-unlikely-according-to-crytek/
http://www.destructoid.com/-fat-chance-of-crysis-3-coming-to-the-wii-u-226413.phtml

SamuraiX-

DAT BOXART

2DDF7.jpg

Now that's how it's fucking done.

I'm not excited for this game at all, but that is some really good boxart.

Okay I'll be a little excited if it doesn't resemble the second game much.

DAT BOXART

No, no it's not.
I could slap together a better box art with those assets in my sleep, starting with not putting the main focus of the image into the top right while using up half of the space with the face of the liberty statue which is almost impossible to tell.

derFeef

No, no it's not.
I could slap together a better box art with those assets in my sleep, starting with not putting the main focus of the image into the top right while using up half of the space with the face of the liberty statue which is almost impossible to tell.

CaVaYeRo

DAT BOXART

2DDF7.jpg

Artwork is really elegant this time IMO. Layout and the urban jungle thingie give a pretty unique style to the imagery atm.

We just launched our latest iPad mag. I'm loving the double-cover already:

nuevarevistavideojuegos_400091.jpg

I think it's less violent & generic, like more natural.

Crysis 3 return to New York: "It wasn't to cut corners"

Creative director Rasmus Hoejengaard said it wasn't to "cut corners or reuse assets", but to create a stronger emotional impact for both returning players and Americans.

"Actually the reason we wanted to do this was because when you know an area and feel at home in it, and you come back and see that it's completely not what you know it for, it's actually emotionally more powerful than if you come back to a location that you haven't seen before and see that it's overgrown," he told Digital Spy at an EA press event.

"A good example is if there's a war going on and your home city gets bombed, then that'll make a bigger impact on you if you return than if it's a city that you have never been in before.

"Because we wanted to take such a leap visually from Crysis 2 to Crysis 3, we thought doing this within the same setting would be more empowering than if we'd done it in a difference place. Which we could have done because it's not more work, it would have been the same thing."

Hoejengaard added: "Also New York obviously is such a known location, and because Americans feel strongly towards New York, seeing this thing happen to the NASDAQ or Empire State Building is going to resonate very strongly with a lot of people."

Announced last week, Crysis 3 sees Prophet discovering that the city has been encased in a 'Nanodome' by the Cell Corporation.

The dome has created a natural environment within the city, adding a rainforest, swamplands and rivers, as well as seven distinct locations named the Seven Wonders.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...w-york-explained-it-wasnt-to-cut-corners.html

derFeef

I have no real problems with the game being set in New York, but

Also New York obviously is such a known location, and because Americans feel strongly towards New York, seeing this thing happen to the NASDAQ or Empire State Building is going to resonate very strongly with a lot of people

is exactly why people are sick of it I guess.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
To say that Youtube compression hides aliasing is one thing. But if one is still able to see aliasing despite youtube, it favors his point.
I think those are video compression artifacts being blown up in size rather than regular aliasing. I say that because streaming "1080p" video isn't actually 1080p. If you watch it at in the window those artifacts aren't as noticeable and it looks a good deal sharper than 360 footage of Cry 2. The aliasing isn't uniform either. The plants in the foreground, which are usually the worst for aliasing, look sharp and defined. The motion blur and particle effects also look quite a bit better than console Cry 2, and the framerate is better.

So either the console port had massive improvements or that's PC footage.

I think those are video compression artifacts being blown up in size rather than regular aliasing. I say that because streaming "1080p" video isn't actually 1080p. If you watch it at in the window those artifacts aren't as noticeable and it looks a good deal sharper than 360 footage of Cry 2. The aliasing isn't uniform either. The plants in the foreground, which are usually the worst for aliasing, look sharp and defined. The motion blur and particle effects also look quite a bit better than console Cry 2, and the framerate is better.

So either the console port had massive improvements or that's PC footage.
Disagree, stuff in the background tends to have more aliasing because the objects are rendered with far less pixels.

The screen I took from the Gamersyde MP4 quite clearly shows aliasing on the barriers in the background. It's absolutely regular aliasing, and absolutely not compression artifacts. I would estimate that the majority of the gameplay footage is 720p. It could still be PC, running console res to simulate what they hope to achieve on 360/PS3 by launch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Disagree, stuff in the background tends to have more aliasing because the objects are rendered with far less pixels.

The screen I took from the Gamersyde MP4 quite clearly shows aliasing on the barriers in the background. It's absolutely regular aliasing, and absolutely not compression artifacts. I would estimate that the majority of the gameplay footage is 720p. It could still be PC, running console res to simulate what they hope to achieve on 360/PS3 by launch.
Anything thin and angular is a good candidate for tons of aliasing.

It almost looks like banded metal with specular highlights. Note that the metal posts in the background have no aliasing whatsoever, despite being just as far away.

http://i.minus.com/iWRQ2pzFBpvqo.png

The barriers are near horizontal, that's why the stepping shows up more. Look at the fallen platform just above the weapon sight. That wouldn't have specular highlights... same aliasing.

why on earth did you take that from my post? I said C2 was not as good a game as C1 and Warhead. Of course the graphics were better. The gameplay was not.

Oh, my bad. When you said "vanilla crysis" i automatically thought you were talking about non-modded Crysis, therefore graphics. I even wondered if you meant gameplay after I responded.

edit: plus the fact that you mentioned dx11 crysis 2 looking just as good as this trailer right before the sentence in question.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Looks like a Crysis 2 mod to me.

No new music (or music at all), no dialog, overly tropical environment, etc. That being said, I would like to FIND this mod for Crysis 2 if it is indeed that as it looks fantastic.

I fairly certain that's the Crysis Revival mod for C2.

Looks like a Crysis 2 mod to me.

No new music (or music at all), no dialog, overly tropical environment, etc. That being said, I would like to FIND this mod for Crysis 2 if it is indeed that as it looks fantastic.

No Nano Dome unless it simulate or the dome projects the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom