(04-26-2012, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by WJD

Reach servers down for anyone else?

Maintenance.
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

You bet.

I developed a peanut butter nougat last month that was killer.

Great.

btw. if a HaloGaffer wants some special German candy, send me a PM.

Edit.: I'll bring it with me at PAX prime or I try to.
Last edited by Hypertrooper; 04-26-2012 at 05:02 PM.
WJD
Banned
(04-26-2012, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Maintenance.

Ah right, thought that was later tonight.
zlatko
If my BP falls below 1000 Lord Sirlin will kill my family
(04-26-2012, 04:55 PM)
So did I mention how awesome Hasley's journal is? Read it front to back last night in one sitting. Best thing in any limited edition of a game ever.
Risen
(04-26-2012, 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Hypertrooper

Great.

btw. if a HaloGaffer wants some special German candy, send me a PM.

0.0 euphemisms are appreciated.
Tha Robbertster
(04-26-2012, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by zlatko

So did I mention how awesome Hasley's journal is? Read it front to back last night in one sitting. Best thing in any limited edition of a game ever.

I really should give it a read again sometime. I think I've only read it one time when Reach came out.
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-26-2012, 04:58 PM)

Eric Nylund + Kevin Grace (343) + Bungie (Lorraine + Robt) + our MS creative services group = success.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-26-2012, 04:59 PM)
The book that came with Halo Wars was pretty solid too. Just for George Washington AI.
Risen
(04-26-2012, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

Eric Nylund + Kevin Grace (343) + Bungie (Lorraine + Robt) + our MS creative services group = success.

What exactly does the MS creative services group do?
Havok
(04-26-2012, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

LOL, we have been fed pretty decent information till now. People expect the whole game to be layed out for them months before release.

I don't necessarily think this is true. Consider that in other cycles by now we would be just a couple weeks out (and let's be honest, this is Friends & Family: The Forum, so it would be even sooner) from playing a meaty beta, with several vidocs showing gameplay beforehand. We've got some screenshots, a bit of information, and about 20 seconds of the game actually running now. I can see how people would be a little put off by that.

I suspect it will ramp up exponentially and I personally think the information we have so far is fine, but I take some pretty serious issue with the bolded statement.
WJD
Banned
(04-26-2012, 05:01 PM)

Something similar with Halo 4 would be absolutely perfect. I'd have it over a statue or a cat helmet any day.

It doesn't have to be a journal, just something made with an equal amount of care and detail that we can actually sink our teeth into as opposed to just display on a shelf.
TheOddOne
(04-26-2012, 05:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Havok

I don't necessarily think this is true. Consider that in other cycles by now we would be just a couple weeks out (and let's be honest, this is Friends & Family: The Forum, so it would be even sooner) from playing a meaty beta, with several vidocs showing gameplay beforehand. We've got some screenshots, a bit of information, and about 20 seconds of the game actually running now. I can see how people would be a little put off by that.

Thats fair, info wise we got pretty decent stream but real footage has been lacking.
zlatko
(04-26-2012, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by WJD

Something similar with Halo 4 would be absolutely perfect. I'd have it over a statue or a cat helmet any day.

It doesn't have to be a journal, just something made with an equal amount of care and detail that we can actually sink our teeth into as opposed to just display on a shelf.

Cortana ship logs over the years in deep space? The OTHER journal that hasley kept that she was using for like 4+ years, and the pages she ripped out?

Still also really want a large t-shirt of the new 343 logo they've been using in a limited edition. :P
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by WJD

Mmh. A folder about an ONI analyse of the Shield World Requiem, Cortana etc.
lybertyboy
Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
(04-26-2012, 05:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Risen

What exactly does the MS creative services group do?

They service creatives. :)
Tawpgun
(04-26-2012, 05:06 PM)

https://twitter.com/#!/RGIII/status/195329275396763648

It's official.

343 has solved the quitting problem. Praise the lawd.
Tha Robbertster
(04-26-2012, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

Thats fair, info wise we got pretty decent stream but real footage has been lacking.

That's the only thing I want right now for Halo 4 news. Show me the pregame lobby where you can change your loadouts and an actual match that has the new mechanics like weapon drops, instant respawn and maybe forerunner vision.

unrealistic expectations ending now
Louis Wu
(04-26-2012, 05:08 PM)
wtf Tunavi

And fuck you all for writing 800 new posts in the past 18 hours - I could have made this post a LONG time ago if I didn't have to catch up.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full writeup today - I'm headed out of town in a couple of hours, and will be pretty much without internet until Sunday night. (I guess that gives me time to polish something, though, right?)

Quick overview: There were two maps in rotation, Warhouse and Wraparound (both of which have been renamed, but new names aren't final/public yet) - so nothing new there.

The build was dated March 28 - but Frank said it was pretty much a polished-up version of what Devo and Domino played back at the Spring Showcase. Sounds were all over the map (hmm... bad choice of words) - some were simply awesome (PLASMA PISTOL OMG), some were missing altogether, others had placeholder versions. (The multiplayer announcer was clearly some guy from the studio. Pretty funny, actually... but I'm glad he's not final.)

I had some trouble getting used to finding Sprint on my left analog stick. (There are a million button layouts now, so you can pretty much set things up any way you want; I went with my normal (for me) Southpaw/Southpaw/Inverted setup, and that's where Sprint is. Crouch is on the B button, which is bizarre.) Because of this, I felt really slow sometimes.

This was exacerbated by the fact that I'd cranked my sensitivity way down; at the start, I couldn't hold the reticle on my opponents (felt like the equivalent of a 6 or 7 in Reach, so I turned it down from the default 4 to 3), but this made everything else feel... slower. Things were definitely better by the end of the night, and for people less ancient than me, the adaption will almost certainly happen faster.

Loadouts have a couple more slots than Reach loadouts. (In Reach, you get primary weapon, secondary weapon, grenade, AA - in H4, you get two more slots - I forget what they were called, but they hold things like increased regen and more ammo.) I primarily stuck with the first two loadouts - the first was BR/Plasma Pistol/Plas Grenade, while the second was DMR/pistol/frag. The DMR is a BEAST at range... but much harder to handle up close. The BR is a pretty fast killer up close, but at any real distance, you'll get beaten by a good DMR. The plasma pistol rocks. I don't know if it's just the sound... but DAMN. I was killing people with regular pepper shots (which aren't pepper at all in H4 - they're little mini balls of fire, it seems), and the noob combo is still a reliable annhilator. Overcharged shot seems to track, at least a little bit. (Not as much as Halo 1. :) )

Promethean Vision is actually pretty useful in very limited situations. It DOES let you see through walls (at least a limited number of walls; you can see people sort of near you) - but 1) you don't have very much of it (it runs out really quickly) and 2) it doesn't help you figure out where someone is if the geometry is really complicated. I guess this will become less relevant when we know the maps inside and out. It's really useful when someone dips behind a wall and then tries to fake you out... you can tell where they're going.

It also screws up colors, so if you're in the middle of a multi-person firefight, it adds more confusion than it removes. I'd say used judiciously, it's pretty cool - but as Frank said, a good player won't really need it.

Dammit. That's what I have time for. I'll try and come back in a little while to see if there are questions, but a full writeup needs to wait. Sorry!
CyReN
(04-26-2012, 05:12 PM)
I knew it was Wu!

Sounds awesome.
darthbob
(04-26-2012, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Louis Wu

Halo 4! Haslo 4!! Halso 4!!!

Risen

Originally Posted by lybertyboy

They service creatives. :)

Set it up on a tee... someone's bound to hit it.
Hypertrooper

wtf Tunavi

And fuck you all for writing 800 new posts in the past 18 hours - I could have made this post a LONG time ago if I didn't have to catch up.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full writeup today - I'm headed out of town in a couple of hours, and will be pretty much without internet until Sunday night. (I guess that gives me time to polish something, though, right?)

Quick overview: There were two maps in rotation, Warhouse and Wraparound (both of which have been renamed, but new names aren't final/public yet) - so nothing new there.

The build was dated March 28 - but Frank said it was pretty much a polished-up version of what Devo and Domino played back at the Spring Showcase. Sounds were all over the map (hmm... bad choice of words) - some were simply awesome (PLASMA PISTOL OMG), some were missing altogether, others had placeholder versions. (The multiplayer announcer was clearly some guy from the studio. Pretty funny, actually... but I'm glad he's not final.)

I had some trouble getting used to finding Sprint on my left analog stick. (There are a million button layouts now, so you can pretty much set things up any way you want; I went with my normal (for me) Southpaw/Southpaw/Inverted setup, and that's where Sprint is. Crouch is on the B button, which is bizarre.) Because of this, I felt really slow sometimes.

This was exacerbated by the fact that I'd cranked my sensitivity way down; at the start, I couldn't hold the reticle on my opponents (felt like the equivalent of a 6 or 7 in Reach, so I turned it down from the default 4 to 3), but this made everything else feel... slower. Things were definitely better by the end of the night, and for people less ancient than me, the adaption will almost certainly happen faster.

Loadouts have a couple more slots than Reach loadouts. (In Reach, you get primary weapon, secondary weapon, grenade, AA - in H4, you get two more slots - I forget what they were called, but they hold things like increased regen and more ammo.) I primarily stuck with the first two loadouts - the first was BR/Plasma Pistol/Plas Grenade, while the second was DMR/pistol/frag. The DMR is a BEAST at range... but much harder to handle up close. The BR is a pretty fast killer up close, but at any real distance, you'll get beaten by a good DMR. The plasma pistol rocks. I don't know if it's just the sound... but DAMN. I was killing people with regular pepper shots (which aren't pepper at all in H4 - they're little mini balls of fire, it seems), and the noob combo is still a reliable annhilator. Overcharged shot seems to track, at least a little bit. (Not as much as Halo 1. :) )

Promethean Vision is actually pretty useful in very limited situations. It DOES let you see through walls (at least a limited number of walls; you can see people sort of near you) - but 1) you don't have very much of it (it runs out really quickly) and 2) it doesn't help you figure out where someone is if the geometry is really complicated. I guess this will become less relevant when we know the maps inside and out. It's really useful when someone dips behind a wall and then tries to fake you out... you can tell where they're going.

It also screws up colors, so if you're in the middle of a multi-person firefight, it adds more confusion than it removes. I'd say used judiciously, it's pretty cool - but as Frank said, a good player won't really need it.

Dammit. That's what I have time for. I'll try and come back in a little while to see if there are questions, but a full writeup needs to wait. Sorry!

Thanks for the short write-up. It sounds great for me. Especially that the Forerunner Vision is actually called Promethean Vision. :)
zlatko
(04-26-2012, 05:16 PM)
Based Wu dropping the knowledge.

#swag
minasodaboy
(04-26-2012, 05:16 PM)

...Forerunner Vision is actually called Promethean Vision. :)

I think that name pretty much confirms the ancient enemy we'll be facing.
Homeboyd
(04-26-2012, 05:18 PM)
Thank Wu!
Tha Robbertster
(04-26-2012, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by minasodaboy

Could also just be ONI using forerunner technology they found somewhere.
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-26-2012, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Tha Robbertster

Could also just be ONI using forerunner technology they found somewhere.

Humans have had access to Forerunner technology since 2552. It is "now" 2557. Longer, if you include Covenant's own reverse engineered stuff.
monome
(04-26-2012, 05:21 PM)

Cortana ship logs over the years in deep space? The OTHER journal that hasley kept that she was using for like 4+ years, and the pages she ripped out?

Still also really want a large t-shirt of the new 343 logo they've been using in a limited edition. :P

Mmh. A folder about an ONI analyse of the Shield World Requiem, Cortana etc.

That's the kind of dope things I would want now.

I hate limited editions, stuff that comes with it is generally miniaturised for packaging sake, and it would not stand to be retailed on its own (which shows it should not exist in the first place), that said the idea of a journal was great, but I wished I could have a digital.

I hope for halo 4, there is a limited edition console, but beyond that I'd rather have TOR books, threeAAA or play arts toys and great artbooks like the limited edition Titan book rather than a sht package ala ME3.
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-26-2012, 05:21 PM)

wtf Tunavi

Thanks for the write-up, Wu. Was the DMR 3x scope?

Given the PP starts in the build, I hope that means 343 has either removed the EM effect from the weapon or will not allow PP starts in BTB.

Yup.
Poker Face
(04-26-2012, 05:22 PM)

wtf Tunavi

thanks for the writeup :D.

default controls sound very similar to cod (sprint being on analog stick, B to crouch) so im hoping one the other control setups are more like Reach or Halo 3.

i still dont like what im hearing with those two extra spots for the loadouts, if you could elaborate how they played in the game when you get to the full writeup it would be great.

and forerunner vision sounds balanced which is good to heard.

thanks again for the summary :D
Shake Appeal
(04-26-2012, 05:22 PM)
Thanks, Wu. Sounds good, although I'm a little troubled by things like "increased regen" (?!).
Zeouterlimits
(04-26-2012, 05:25 PM)
Fantastic write up Wu, thanks.
The control scheme decision is going to be even more fun this time.
Rickenslacker
(04-26-2012, 05:25 PM)
Increased regen/ammo sounds bad.

And something about sprint being left stick just sounds wrong. Hope Bumper Jumper fares better than it did in Reach.
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 05:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

And something about sprint being left stick just sounds wrong. Hope Bumper Jumper fares better than it did in Reach.

Did he not say that there is a lot of configuration available? :)
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-26-2012, 05:27 PM)

There is indeed. I still haven't figured out my default.
Overdoziz

things like increased regen and more ammo

Perks.
Poker Face

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

Increased ammo only sounds bad for power weapons, i rarely run out of ammo for guns like the BR, AR, DMR, etc. I feel like it would be pointless for to use in a loadout.
monome

Doesn't make sense to make the Didact the old, dark ancient enemy when Precursors, dead or alive, still stir shit in the galaxy.

That said I'll happily fight off against Forerunners, but I don't think they are a, per say, a menace beyond anything the Chief has ever faced.
It reeks of the Arbiter introduction...

Perks.

quick google search says yes...I'm not touching COD MP, ever.
Last edited by monome; 04-26-2012 at 05:33 PM.
WJD
Banned
(04-26-2012, 05:28 PM)
Cheers for the impressions, Wu.

I'm definitely becoming won over bit by bit, however I have a few reservations about the 'other' loadout slots. Last man standing/martyr incoming?
Hydranockz
(04-26-2012, 05:29 PM)

Perks.

Day Huan!
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-26-2012, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by WJD

I'm definitely becoming won over bit by bit, however I have a few reservations about the 'other' loadout slots. Last man standing/martyr incoming?

No. Like tuning your car for handling versus swapping out the engine. More deets at a later time.
Tunavi
(04-26-2012, 05:32 PM)
All this info is so nerve wracking.

When can I actually play?
Hydranockz
(04-26-2012, 05:32 PM)

No. Like tuning your car for handling versus swapping out the engine. More deets at a later time.

Customisable Warthogs confirmed?!?!
Recarpo
(04-26-2012, 05:33 PM)
Thanks for the impressions, Wu. Not sure if I like the ability to start with a greener, but everything else sounds great.
Poker Face

Originally Posted by WJD

wouldn't be surprised if we saw martyrdom at this point, even though you can essentially drop a live grenade before you die in reach or halo 3.

would be taken back if a last stand esque type perk was in the game.
Rickenslacker

Oh I am not saying it won't be swapped in one or another, but having it as the default (assuming Southpaw is just swapped triggers) rustles my jimmies as nitpicky and stupid as that sounds!

Though I'm hoping BJ turns out fine, or at least have some kind of layout that won't have me sacrificing my ability to simultaneously aim and do other actions.
Overdoziz

Perks.
The Real Napsta
(04-26-2012, 05:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Tunavi

All this info is so nerve wracking.

When can I actually play?

November 6th, 2012
CyReN
(04-26-2012, 05:35 PM)

Originally Posted by The Real Napsta

November 6th, 2012

I expect you to drive down to lan a few weeks after:)