• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Steelyuhas
(04-26-2012, 06:53 PM)
Thanks for the impressions Wu!

Totally called right stick sprint and B button crouch as the default control scheme.
Demoncarnotaur
(04-26-2012, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Homeboyd

Were videos not allowed to be taken or something? What is WRONG with you people!?!

:lol awful, I know

Its killing me that the details that we are waiting for are out there..we just need to wait til they are posted.
TheOddOne
(04-26-2012, 06:55 PM)
Might as well post the full thing:

Louis Wu
(04-26-2012, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Demoncarnotaur

-Are sprint and AA's on separate buttons?

Yes. Sprint is ALWAYS available, AA is on the same button as on Reach (Right bumper, for me).

-Were there any new weapons? (missile pistol, Assault Carbine)

I saw no new weapons in multi. Frank showed off a short campaign demo (10 minutes of an early level in the game), and there was some sort of energy-based covenant rifle that looks pretty cool. (Didn't get to see it in very much action; it came pretty late in the demo, and depending on who was running through, there often wasn't much left alive by the time it showed up.)

-Was Jetpack useable? If so, how does it operate?
-What about other AA's?

I didn't experiment with any of the loadouts that used anything but Promethean Vision - sorry. (Both of the first two loadouts had that as the AA)

-How do weapon spawns work? Are there a lot less weapons in play now with the ordinance system?

There were almost no weapons on the map at all in the games we played. (I'd say there were none, but I seem to remember a needler or two lying around - I guess maybe a deady guy could have dropped it, not sure.)

Ordinance drops are pretty cool. When you earn one (I don't know what I did to earn them), you get a little thingy in your UI that pops up - three choices, mapped to three buttons on your D-Pad. Pick your drop, and it'll appear in the default location for that power weapon soon after. That is: Let's say we're talking about Powerhouse. When the game starts, there are no Rockets in the outlet under the station... but as soon as someone earns a drop, and picks Rockets, they'll pop in there. Everyone gets notified that they're about to drop - but the dropper obviously knows a little sooner. So you can either get there first, and snag 'em... or get there and set up a trap. :)

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING STILL TYPING? I'M SUPPOSED TO BE PACKING!
Shadders
I doubt we'll see a video, considering what Wu said about the placeholder announcer guy. As hilarious as it would be, I can't imagine marketing letting that out in an official capacity.
WJD

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

Just looks like a control panel to me. Something like at the end of Two Betrayal's. Or the beginning? I don't remember.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-26-2012, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

There is indeed. I still haven't figured out my default.

Legacy sticks are in, right?
TheOddOne
(04-26-2012, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Louis Wu

I saw no new weapons in multi. Frank showed off a short campaign demo (10 minutes of an early level in the game), and there was some sort of energy-based covenant rifle that looks pretty cool. (Didn't get to see it in very much action; it came pretty late in the demo, and depending on who was running through, there often wasn't much left alive by the time it showed up.)

Was it the opening level on the Forward at Dawn?
Karl2177
(04-26-2012, 06:59 PM)

Yes. Sprint is ALWAYS available, AA is on the same button as on Reach (Right bumper, for me).

I didn't experiment with any of the loadouts that used anything but Promethean Vision - sorry. (Both of the first two loadouts had that as the AA)

There were almost no weapons on the map at all in the games we played. (I'd say there were none, but I seem to remember a needler or two lying around - I guess maybe a deady guy could have dropped it, not sure.)

Ordinance drops are pretty cool. When you earn one (I don't know what I did to earn them), you get a little thingy in your UI that pops up - three choices, mapped to three buttons on your D-Pad. Pick your drop, and it'll appear in the default location for that power weapon soon after. That is: Let's say we're talking about Powerhouse. When the game starts, there are no Rockets in the outlet under the station... but as soon as someone earns a drop, and picks Rockets, they'll pop in there. Everyone gets notified that they're about to drop - but the dropper obviously knows a little sooner. So you can either get there first, and snag 'em... or get there and set up a trap. :)

I was excited until I read that. It sounds... odd.
Blueblur1
Thank you for the impressions, Wu.
The Librarian
Founding member, Guardians Anonymous

Originally Posted by Hypertrooper

No one noticed the Forerunner-like AI or Hologram in the Bulletin? Or at least I think it looks like it.

Edit.: I'm talking about this:

Doesn't look like either to me (judging from what we know Forerunner AIs look like), and a hologram? Erm. To be honest, I have no idea what the hell that is.

Anyway, about Wu's write up. You know, the more I hear about news for Halo 4 (the multiplayer side at least), it's always mixed with good and bad (or stuff to worry about). From Wu's write up, it's the "regen" and ammo perks. The two have never been tried before, so I'm wary to say the least. My biggest concern out of what Wu posted was the potential for a PP+headshot weapon combo. I'm not too excited at the potential of everyone starting off with that combo, but the follow for the overcharge may have been nerfed so it doesn't matter. I do wonder, however, if the PP+headshot combo will extend to BTB. If it does, and if the PP still has the EMP effect on vehicles, that'll ruin vehicle combat.

Edit: Wait. You have to earn the power weapons? Um...
Last edited by The Librarian; 04-26-2012 at 07:03 PM.
TheOddOne
(04-26-2012, 07:00 PM)
Those drops really sound COD-esq.

Cue Kyle.
Tha Robbertster
(04-26-2012, 07:01 PM)

Uuuuh, this sounds like kills/points treaks to me...

yeah.....
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 07:01 PM)
It looks like a lot like Halo Legends "Didact". (According to Halopedian) (I'm talking about the eye position. Looks very familiar)

WJD
(04-26-2012, 07:02 PM)

OverHeat
(04-26-2012, 07:03 PM)
Weapon drop sound awesome it will mix thing up :)
Demoncarnotaur
(04-26-2012, 07:03 PM)

Thanks for the info again!

Oh, wow! That thing about you earning the weapon drops is new news entirely, I had no idea. Thats interesting.. i hope the maps wont be too weaponless, I always like knowing there are weapons to switch things up. That said... I really like the idea of earning weapons like that, but I hope it isn't too difficult or abuseable. Also, I hope it doesn't ruin the flow of spawning weapons.

One more question, you have no obligation to answer of course, lol
-Did you see Jackals, and if so what did they look like? (Im attempting to draw one)
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-26-2012, 07:04 PM)

Was it the opening level on the Forward at Dawn?

Yesh.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-26-2012, 07:05 PM)

Paid themes? In 2012?
Demoncarnotaur

Yesh.

Out of curiosity, it seems that there is a lot of new information coming from this playtest event.. can we expect specific details about the gameplay mechanics coming from something official soon(ish)?
TheOddOne

Yesh.

Blueblur1

Originally Posted by Tha Robbertster

Uuuuh, this sounds like kills/points treaks to me...

yeah.....

I hope you're wrong. Very very wrong. :(
Overdoziz
Banned
(04-26-2012, 07:07 PM)

Wait just one fucking minute. What do you mean "earn" an ordinance drop? Point/killstreaks?
Steelyuhas
(04-26-2012, 07:08 PM)
"Earn" power weapons? Killstreaks confirmed! COD transformation is 100% complete!

Originally Posted by Dax01

Anyway, about Wu's write up. You know, the more I hear about news for Halo 4 (the multiplayer side at least), it's always mixed with good and bad (or stuff to worry about). From Wu's write up, it's the "regen" and ammo perks. The two have never been tried before, so I'm wary to say the least. My biggest concern out of what Wu posted was the potential for a PP+headshot weapon combo. I'm not too excited at the potential of everyone starting off with that combo, but the follow for the overcharge may have been nerfed so it doesn't matter. I do wonder, however, if the PP+headshot combo will extend to BTB. If it does, and if the PP still has the EMP effect on vehicles, that'll ruin vehicle combat.

Edit: Wait. You have to earn the power weapons? Um...

I am quite wary about a lot of this stuff as well, but you've got to think that if the Plasma Pistol is a starting weapon that the overcharge won't be incredibly good. I got to have faith in 343 in that regard at least.

Wu did say he was killing people using single shot function of the gun, so maybe it has been refocused a bit to make the single shot function quite good and the overcharge still a reliable function, but perhaps no Halo 2 PP here.
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 07:09 PM)
I'm excited to read your full write-up of the event, Louis. :) Especially the impression of the singleplayer stuff.
daedalius
(04-26-2012, 07:09 PM)
When they were talking about drops in the podcast they didn't mention anything like that at all.
feel
(04-26-2012, 07:10 PM)
Thanks Wu!!

Damn that is all sounding bad though, we need a new BR gif stat to make things better.
Tawpgun
There is one condition where I will welcome these changes.

They are apart of some experience and there will be an equal experience of classical halo golden formula of fairness and skill.

I'd love to play Halo gameplay with these new systems in place. Could be a cool change of pace. But I want to be able to play classic Halo at launch also. And not just in custom games.
EdibleExplosives
Wait, you earn ordinance drops...the fuck?
Shadders
(04-26-2012, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by daedalius

When they were talking about drops in the podcast they didn't mention anything like that at all.

You're right, they mentioned timer systems..

Perhaps it's actually a vote? Or everyone gets to pick one throughout the course of the match?
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 07:12 PM)
Shit. Why is the 343-only apparel so sexy? Open a store already 343i. Please.
Homeboyd
I'm pickin dat GL urry time!
Overdoziz
Banned
Perks, killstreaks, unlocks, loadouts.

Hey 343, nice innovating right there.
WJD
Yeah, definitely going to need some clarification on those weapon drops.
Demoncarnotaur
(04-26-2012, 07:13 PM)
I really don't like that map based weapons do not continue to spawn at all.. it would be nice if non power weapons still spawned regularly with the ordinance system.

Also, as for the killstreak weapon drop.. I want more info. I also want to know if that is the only way weapons will drop.
Hydranockz
(04-26-2012, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Wait just one fucking minute. What do you mean "earn" an ordinance drop? Point/killstreaks?

Lololololololol Someone's losing their cool.
Karl2177
(04-26-2012, 07:14 PM)

If only they had grabbed a small... That would actually look pretty good as a v-neck.
StalkerUKCG
(04-26-2012, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

There is one condition where I will welcome these changes.

They are apart of some experience and there will be an equal experience of classical halo golden formula of fairness and skill.

I'd love to play Halo gameplay with these new systems in place. Could be a cool change of pace. But I want to be able to play classic Halo at launch also. And not just in custom games.

Maybe not at launch but a classic playlist seems like something they could easily implement.

The lack of any kind of map based weaponry at all seems a bit odd, but spawn choices and pickup might just make it okay.

Im a bit taken back by it all but ill wait till any hands on to see how much it impacts me, im betting ill end up liking the changes in the end
Shadders
(04-26-2012, 07:15 PM)

I know! I used to buy almost all my clothes from the Bungie store, they're getting a bit tatty now. TAKE MY MONEY 343!
The Librarian
Founding member, Guardians Anonymous

Originally Posted by Steelyuhas

I am quite wary about a lot of this stuff as well, but you've got to think that if the Plasma Pistol is a starting weapon that the overcharge won't be incredibly good. I got to have faith in 343 in that regard at least.

The fact that we can start off with the PP leads me to believe that the EMP effect against vehicles has been removed. I would be sad to see it go as I liked the functionality in multiplayer. I especially liked using it in campaign – it added a whole new dynamic, but Reach did go too far in having the enemies use it against us.

Wu did say he was killing people using single shot function of the gun, so maybe it has been refocused a bit to make the single shot function quite good and the overcharge still a reliable function, but perhaps no Halo 2 PP here.

I don't expect the Halo 2 PP. The was one of the most broken, unbalanced aspects of Halo 2 and it would be so ridiculous for it to return.
Last edited by The Librarian; 04-26-2012 at 07:17 PM.
WJD
I have a feeling 343i are intentionally trying to scare us before blowing our minds and revealing a custom game browser feature.

Right guys?

...right?
Homeboyd
Hey Wu, what did you build in Forge?
AllIsOneIsNone

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

I cursed halo 4 when I compared power weapons to killstreaks in response to one of your posts. I'm gonna go ahead and blame you just for the hell of it.
CyReN
(04-26-2012, 07:16 PM)
343i hoodie or bust. Love the design though.
Hypertrooper
(04-26-2012, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by CyReN

343i hoodie or bust. Love the design though.

That's my phrase... now.
Blueblur1

Originally Posted by WJD

I really love how we constantly need clarification upon clarification when it comes to Halo 4 details. What a mess.
zlatko
Banned
I like the ordanance drop ideas, because of what it does.

Right now in Halo, you spawn, you run to a power weapon, and if you're someone who is beastly with sniper, then no one really sees you that whole game since you'll rock it the whole time racking up kills.

Now, you gotta do several things to possibly get at a sniper. Gotta do some DMR/BR fighting to earn one yourself. Can't do it? Then you gotta try to take one somene else earns and drops somewhere. A whole sleu of shit can happen here with where did it drop, if it isn't picked up are they waiting to ambush you, and so on. Some more team work will come into play for controlling weapons. A lot of good it will do if one guy on your team is doing great, raining down weapons, but he can't claim them so it just powers the other team more.
Demoncarnotaur
Yeah spawning with a PP scares me. I was hoping weapons like that would just be map based weapons, that regularly spawned separate from ordinance.

*earning power weapons isn't awful, anyone can get them. It just worries me that this may be the only way to get certain weapons into a match.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-26-2012, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by WJD

Through some metric, you earn the ability to decide what the game will drop at a location, and then can decide to bait the other team to it or get there and grab it early for yourself.

tl;dr Invasion Slayer but you control what drops </ReachAnalogy>
Tawpgun
(04-26-2012, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Maybe not at launch but a classic playlist seems like something they could easily implement.

The lack of any kind of map based weaponry at all seems a bit odd, but spawn choices and pickup might just make it okay.

Im a bit taken back by it all but ill wait till any hands on to see how much it impacts me, im betting ill end up liking the changes in the end

I think there will be a classic playlist at Launch. I remember Frankie saying something along the lines of the playlists will have something for everyone/don't worry. Only reason there wouldn't be is they want people to experience their new system only at first.