• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Risen
(04-27-2012, 12:25 AM)

Originally Posted by lybertyboy

As I've said before, when fired at distance, the recoil of the gun will cause bullets to spread a bit. The BR has changed slightly since we last discussed it. Additionally, there is now a very small amount of additional bullet spread to account for that placement. This should not affect the majority of players in the vast majority mid to close-range of encounters. It's my understanding that this was implemented to help balance it's effectiveness at long range against other weapons in the armory.

How does that compare when playing online against people a couple thousand miles away?
thezerofire
(04-27-2012, 12:26 AM)
I think just Vision would be a fine name, Promethean Vision is just too wordy
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

I'm going to put out a possibility:

The Halo 4 DMR does not feature bloom. However, the reticule expands upon firing and resets fully in lockstep with the fixed firing rate, the same way the Reach sniper rifle 'bloom' works. In that sense it's not so much bloom as a visual signal for when the next shot can be fired.

That might explain why people felt bloom was in, but didn't notice it affecting their play.

If that's the case, then by all means, 343i. That's great.
ElzarTheBam

Originally Posted by heckfu

What is it with you and pedantic gay jokes?

Woah now, I am not pedantic, if anything I'm more didactic.
xxjuicesxx
(04-27-2012, 12:29 AM)

I hear with every ticket you purchase to see the Beach Boys, Ellis gives you a free pass to the H4 beta.

See you boys on the other side.

Shit I got 4. Who wants one?

Originally Posted by ElzarTheBam

Woah now, I am not pedantic, if anything I'm more didactic.

Now you are just simply making up words.
Last edited by xxjuicesxx; 04-27-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Ramirez
Official EA Apologist
(04-27-2012, 12:32 AM)
New info doesn't really sound that great, but whatever. You guys need to take my approach! No hype, just play it when it gets here, make up your mind then...
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(04-27-2012, 12:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Ramirez

New info doesn't really sound that great, but whatever. You guys need to take my approach! No hype, just play it when it gets here, make up your mind then...

That's been my approach all along. *brofist*

I enjoy picking apart the new details, but I'm not going to get worked up about anything until I've played it.
ZalinKrow

Originally Posted by thezerofire

I think just Vision would be a fine name, Promethean Vision is just too wordy

While I do see your point with Promethean Vision being a bit lengthy to say, an AA just called Vision would be pretty hilarious haha.
¨You may have a jetpack, but I have VISION¨ :P
Arnie

That's fast become mine too. Trying to second guess the play experience from these shallow puddles of misinformation is counterproductive. My bar is set to Reach, 343 shouldn't be sweating.
Zoso Achilles
(04-27-2012, 12:35 AM)

Originally Posted by lybertyboy

Those statements (as I read them) are not in conflict.

However, the bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach. I didn't have to pace my shots much at all. Both the DMR and BR were 5-shot weapons in this build. At the end of the night, I preferred the DMR. It shot faster than the BR, took the same amount of shots to kill, and I didn't feel like the bloom made me miss shots all that often.

Halo 4 DMR sounds SOOOO much better, to start with... and it seems more powerful (when I was getting hit, I felt more vulnerable), but it fires slower than Reach DMR.

If all of the above is true, the Halo 4 DMR fires slower than the Halo Reach DMR (paced I assume), and the BR is slower than the Halo 4 DMR. Um, what?
Ramirez
Official EA Apologist
(04-27-2012, 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Arnie

That's fast become mine too. Trying to second guess the play experience from these shallow puddles of misinformation is counterproductive. My bar is set to Reach, 343 shouldn't be sweating.

Exactly, Reach has my Halo standards so low that it would be really hard to go even further down.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-27-2012, 12:37 AM)

The more info that comes out, the more I just wanna play it for myself. At this point I'm close bursting lol. I don't even have a real opinion of the info released so far.
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-27-2012, 12:38 AM)

Yeah that's probably the approach I'm going to take from now on.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-27-2012, 12:39 AM)

Where do you live? I haven't seen a Hy-Vee since I left Iowa. My wife used to work at one.

As Karl pointed out ( :P ) Omaha, Nebraska. My cashier today was a woman dressed up like Pink with pink hair and had "PˇNK" as her nametag. Nobody else was dressed up or anything so it wasn't a theme day or anything... I just checked out and left as quickly as I could :lol Her real name was on the receipt, so I had no idea wtf was going on.
xxjuicesxx
(04-27-2012, 12:40 AM)
Did any of you think that they probably got to play like maybe a couple games at most and probably dont even recall what was going on correctly? More importantly they are glazed over by the "I got to play the game early" effect, so whatever their opinion is, is pretty much completely irrelevant.
Franklinator

That's kinda how I've been lately. Each piece of news is making me care about the multiplayer less and less.
ElzarTheBam

Originally Posted by xxjuicesxx

Now you are just simply making up words.

I kid you not sir.

A sensible approach, but I kind of find it funny that the most positive views about H4 are fom the people who have actually played it. But that could be down to playing an anticipated game early.

Originally Posted by ZalinKrow

While I do see your point with Promethean Vision being a bit lengthy to say, an AA just called Vision would be pretty hilarious haha.

Abbreviated it doesn't sound too bad, you have jetpack, I have PV.
Sai-kun

Originally Posted by FyreWulff

I always fly back on the Monday, it's usually cheaper if I leave on Monday (early) than on Sunday.

But I also wait a while before getting tickets, since I can get them cheaper when they're getting desperate to finish filling up a flight.

Hotels next to the center run around 150-180 a night, I think, but it also depends on how willing you are to room share.

Okay, good point, thanks.

I'm gonna think about this a little more (school literally starts the day after PAX ends), but I am definitely leaning more towards "yes go to PAX".

Note: I am also super willing to room share. I am a small guy, and a light packer, so i'm good with just a sleeping bag and my backpack of clothes.

jasfklja;sfklja;lsfj i wanna go so badly but a;jklsf;asjkfas money.

Edit: What website are y'all using to book flights? I'm just looking on Expedia.
Ramirez
Official EA Apologist
(04-27-2012, 12:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Tashi0106

The more info that comes out, the more I just wanna play it for myself. At this point I'm close bursting lol. I don't even have a real opinion of the info released so far.

What are you going to do when MLG doesn't have a playlist in 4?

You're already dead.

Fyrewulff will let you sleep on his floor Sai, just costs 20 bucks per hour.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-27-2012, 12:41 AM)
Yeah righ. When that multiplayer vidoc comes out, ya'll gonna be the FIRST to post impressions and talk about what you saw.
Blueblur1
(04-27-2012, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by zlatko

You think Reach to 4 is a disappointment already?

You haven't seen disappointment till you play Final Fantasy XI online for 6 years on and off, get hyped to fuck for it's sequel with FF14, then buy the collectors edition at launch only to realize it's not even in alpha stage. A ghost of a game. Shit upon shit.

Call me when you have that kind of experience. We'll talk and comfort each other. Until then, wait till you play it or at least see it in action with people explaining more of its logistics.

In Frankie/343 we trust.

Wow, that sounds really bad.
Zeouterlimits
(04-27-2012, 12:42 AM)
Evidently I missed out on a lot of fun in the past few hours but I really think kylej is getting unfair complaints thrown at him.

He raises a fair point, one that I'd thought about previously and agreed with.

The impressions were positive last time around too. We even (mostly) enjoyed the beta and the final game at first. The problems weren't immediately evident to most.
Also being somewhat cynical and not giving 343I blanket benefit of the doubt (after Anniversary & Reach's playlists) is fair.

ANYWAY, Tojima is a total badass and his contributions to the game are going to be fucking awesome.

Also a sensible perspective. Less of the die upon the sword to condemn or defend 343I.
Franklinator
(04-27-2012, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

Yeah righ. When that multiplayer vidoc comes out, ya'll gonna be the FIRST to post impressions and talk about what you saw.

Oh, for sure. I'm still going to look at all the information and hope that my worries about the game will turn out to not be a big deal.
Kenak
(04-27-2012, 12:44 AM)
Has there been any info on the number of maps we're getting at launch? Reach was horrible in that regard..
Overdoziz
(04-27-2012, 12:46 AM)

A sensible approach, but I kind of find it funny that the most positive views about H4 are fom the people who have actually played it.

I don't expect someone who played a handful of matches in a friendly environment to give much critique. And I don't expect people from 343 to say anything negative about their game. :P
ElzarTheBam
(04-27-2012, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

I don't expect someone who played a handful of matches in a friendly environment to give much critique. And I don't expect people from 343 to say anything negative about their game. :P

Already taken into consideration, see edit. :P
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-27-2012, 12:48 AM)

Yeah, no. Please stop spewing this bullshit, thanks.
Blueblur1

Originally Posted by Sai-kun

Okay, good point, thanks.

I'm gonna think about this a little more (school literally starts the day after PAX ends), but I am definitely leaning more towards "yes go to PAX".

Note: I am also super willing to room share. I am a small guy, and a light packer, so i'm good with just a sleeping bag and my backpack of clothes.

jasfklja;sfklja;lsfj i wanna go so badly but a;jklsf;asjkfas money.

Edit: What website are y'all using to book flights? I'm just looking on Expedia.

I'm still thinking of going. You should go!
Nub

Originally Posted by Risen

How does that compare when playing online against people a couple thousand miles away?

This

and

"Magnum also had bloom and was very similar to Halo Reach. It could be shot very fast, but the bloom would make it very inaccurate. It had 8 bullets in the clip and was a 6-shot kill."

*sigh*
Ramirez
Official EA Apologist

Originally Posted by FyreWulff

Yeah, no. Please stop spewing this bullshit, thanks.

loooooooool
Overdoziz
(04-27-2012, 12:49 AM)

Already taken into consideration, see edit. :P

Stop changing the timeline.
Steelyuhas
(04-27-2012, 12:49 AM)

I'm going to put out a possibility:

The Halo 4 DMR does not feature bloom. However, the reticule expands upon firing and resets fully in lockstep with the fixed firing rate, the same way the Reach sniper rifle 'bloom' works. In that sense it's not so much bloom as a visual signal for when the next shot can be fired.

That might explain why people felt bloom was in, but didn't notice it affecting their play.

I hope that's the case.
Hydranockz
(04-27-2012, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeouterlimits

Also a sensible perspective. Less of the die upon the sword to condemn or defend 343I.

This has pretty much been the case for most people in here. 95% easily.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-27-2012, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Steelyuhas

I hope that's the case.

I assumed it was such. Visual fluff instead of an actual mechanic like the Sniper's bloom, since they already said there's no Reach-style bloom in the game before. It wouldn't make sense with the way they've changed the other guns to let the DMR fire faster again, because then there'd be no point to grabbing the BR.
Ramirez
Official EA Apologist
(04-27-2012, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Hydranockz

This has pretty much been the case for most people in here. 95% easily.

What's your 343 hater kill count up to?
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-27-2012, 12:53 AM)
Maybe we're wrong about Hydra. He doesn't get paid by the hour, but by the rebuttal.
Overdoziz
(04-27-2012, 12:53 AM)
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-27-2012, 12:55 AM)
If I die, tell my wife, "Halo"
Hydranockz
(04-27-2012, 12:55 AM)

What's your 343 hater kill count up to?

I don't even know what that means... 5

My statement includes people like kyle and over though. Hate it or love it, people aren't judging it until they play it (all the cries for some MP footage is totally justified). The info drips are words on a page or still images. So far away from launch too.
Poker Face
(04-27-2012, 12:56 AM)
as a person who liked getting out of maps, has anyone figured out if we still have those awful soft kill zones are back? or at least configurable in customs?
ElzarTheBam
(04-27-2012, 12:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

You are anything but neutral, but that was a futurama related post, so I will let you off. :P

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

If I die, tell my wife, "Halo"

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-27-2012, 12:59 AM)

What are you going to do when MLG doesn't have a playlist in 4?

You're already dead.

Dominate the rest of you noobs of course. But yea, with each Halo I'm always open to the new stuff.
thezerofire
(04-27-2012, 01:01 AM)

Originally Posted by ZalinKrow

Well there's already radar, and it's been described as a visual sonar, so how about VisuAl Ranging And Detecting, or VADAR?
heckfu
(04-27-2012, 01:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Pok3R Fac3D

as a person who liked getting out of maps, has anyone figured out if we still have those awful soft kill zones are back? or at least configurable in customs?

See: cheating
-Yeti
(04-27-2012, 01:03 AM)
Weird question for those who usually attend PAX West:

What hotel(s) do you guys usually stay at? I'm planning on going this year, but I want to look for a Hotel that is close to the event. It has to be pretty affordable to.

EDIT: Halo, Heck yeah! And so forth...
Last edited by -Yeti; 04-27-2012 at 01:07 AM.
kylej
Banned
(04-27-2012, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Hydranockz

I don't even know what that means... 5

My statement includes people like kyle and over though. Hate it or love it, people aren't judging it until they play it (all the cries for some MP footage is totally justified). The info drips are words on a page or still images. So far away from launch too.

You can judge it without playing it. You could tell Spire was going to suck a million assholes the first time you saw a picture of that giant purple tower.

And for people crying about COD comparisons and how I'm beating a dead horse and running shit into the ground... every new piece of information we get makes the game sound more and more like COD. I mean, today we learned you press the d-pad to use killstreak rewards. In Halo. What the hell do people expect me to say?

Originally Posted by Zeouterlimits

Evidently I missed out on a lot of fun in the past few hours but I really think kylej is getting unfair complaints thrown at him.

He raises a fair point, one that I'd thought about previously and agreed with.

The impressions were positive last time around too. We even (mostly) enjoyed the beta and the final game at first. The problems weren't immediately evident to most.
Also being somewhat cynical and not giving 343I blanket benefit of the doubt (after Anniversary & Reach's playlists) is fair.

I'm either an asshole or a soothsayer depending on HaloGAFs mood lol. I've never seen more people quote my posts in support than when the first deluge of H4 MP stuff leaked out of Game Informer and everyone was pissed off. Now people are getting optimistic again so I'm a jerk who hates Halo. It's good stuff. I wish E Z B was around right now.
KidA Seven
(04-27-2012, 01:04 AM)
I just hope the kill times aren't as slow as Vanilla Reach.
Poker Face
(04-27-2012, 01:06 AM)

See: cheating

if it's considered cheating (which I don't consider it to be.) it should still have an option to be turned on/off in customs. i think the feeling of exploration really lacked in reach because if you stepped two feet outside of where you were supposed to go you had "RETURN TO THE BATTLEFIELD" as your screen turned red.
Demoncarnotaur
(04-27-2012, 01:07 AM)
Franklinator
(04-27-2012, 01:08 AM)
I'm with you for the most part kyle. I'm just not as aggressive about it, I guess. And I suppose I'm more of an optimist.