• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Nemesis_

GAF! I just got Nevan, kind of never used it before. Same with Spiral.

BRIEF RUNDOWN, please! I feel like it has potential but it's so damn unorthodox =/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

BRIEF RUNDOWN, please! I feel like it has potential but it's so damn unorthodox =/

Nevan is a ton of fun, but works best as either a complement to Gunslinger or with the Swordmaster style from what I can tell. By summoning bats and switching/buffering weapons, the bats will remain around Dante or will continue to fly out, so use that to get creative.

The unusual thing about Nevan is that for some moves you have to enter the stationary rev stance where he swings out the guitar. Some attacks enter the rev stance automatically, and this can be jarring to people at first because it immobilizes him. Just tapping the attack button will enter this stance. The guitar swinging out does hit enemies.

Holding the attack button "charges" a lot of moves, which means that Nevan will summon more bats. Left+Attack summons bats that surround Dante that will eventually shoot out towards a locked-on enemy. Mashing the attack button during this will initiate the crazy combo Jam Session. Jam Session is a huge, multihitting pillar of bats and electricity that fills up an enormous area around Dante- an easy Style meter booster. Right+Attack creates a shockwave pulse immediately surrounding Dante that has some long startup and recovery, but will knockback/knockdown weaker enemies in all directions. Forward+Attack is Nevan's Reverb Shock ("Stinger") with the unique property to auto-launch weaker enemies. Back+Attack is Nevan's High Time equivalent and can be held to generate more bats after launch. Airplay is useful for keeping Dante in the air and can be charged.

Crazy Roll/Dance and Air Slash are really powerful Swordmaster attacks, and probably the closest thing Nevan has to an orthodox moveset, but are only really useful as combo enders or for certain bosses. Lots of free Style meter with Crazy Dance, though.

One of the best uses for Nevan is to cancel out Enigma spikes, too. Just continuously press and hold Left+Attack and Dante will continue to surround himself with bats which will destroy any Enigma projectiles and give you huge Style rating. This is good for a certain Secret Mission. :p

Nevan's unique DT properties allow for flight and increased health regeneration.

Btw, Spiral is the Blood Gargoyle killer. Switch or Guard canceling Spiral will take those guys out on DMD very quickly.

Hope that helps get you started at least!

Dahbomb

Nevan like all weapons in DMC is an excellent weapon. It excels at crowd control, boosting your style rating and nullifying various low level projectiles in the game. A lot of its move can be held down so that you increase the number of bats summoned from the attacks, increasing the damage and defensive capabilities. The damage output of the weapon isn't as apparent and aside from a few bosses it's not the best boss killer although in Swordmaster the Scythe attack in the air does quite a lot of damage against huge sized enemies (like hitting Beowulf's eye with the Scythe in Swordmaster does respectable damage).

The projectile nullifying capability makes Nevan THE weapon of choice for taking out Enigma. Their arrow volleys can be destroyed simply by just jumping and holding down Triangle which creates a bat shield around you and the arrows collide with the shield converting them into free style points. You can also use Reverb Shock to create a shield around you and move yourself forward. Jam Session, Crazy Roll are all crowd controlling moves that raise your style a ton.

Nevan is extremely unorthodox though and is more like a buffed up support weapon. You should always have a versatile devil arm with it like Rebellion to make sure that you have Air Hike and precise sword combos. Most people don't understand how to use it because you can't just press Triangle to do combos, you have to first enter the Tune Up stance and then input certain directions to do the normal moves. Nevan is more useful for it's special moves. It is worth nothing that Nevan can actually use its own attacks to cancel out her shield.

It is also worth noting that Nevan gives you access to the games only 2 DT exclusive moves Air Raid and Vortex. They aren't as powerful as their DMC versions but they get the job done, Vortex in particular can deflect attacks back and has a lot of priority.

Spiral is also a great weapon, it has the longest range in the game out of any weapon. It does knockback and does good damage. Spiral is great for picking off flying enemies from distances most notably Bloodgoyles and Soul Eaters, in fact Spiral is designed as THE Soul Eater killer in the game (you basically have your back facing them and instantly lock on attack with Spiral or better yet use Trick shot which is also designed to take them out). It's Gunslinger moves are fun, Trick shot is for combo purposes and Ricochet is for crowd control and is great against Chess pieces (most Gunslinger moves are very effective against Chess pieces). The most powerful tactic with Spiral is the Spiral RG cancel trick. You can cancel the recovery of Spiral by guard cancelling so you can do something like Spiral shot xx RG xx Spiral Shot which allows you to continuously chip and maintain style ranks against bosses from long distances.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bought this game used from a guy four days ago, still haven't arrived :(

Bah, it was cheap anyway. I guess I'll just have to go buy another copy. Fuck it, DMC3 is worth it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm having a harder time much more than expected.

Anyway, I'm DMC noob and I started out with Bayonetta (it's kinda like DMC but not really). What DMC or modes can you recommend for me? I hear DMC2 is the easiest but is the worst (but even when I'm playing it, it doesn't irk me or anything).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm having a harder time much more than expected.

Anyway, I'm DMC noob and I started out with Bayonetta (it's kinda like DMC but not really). What DMC or modes can you recommend for me? I hear DMC2 is the easiest but is the worst (but even when I'm playing it, it doesn't irk me or anything).

DMC2 simply has very little depth, and is thereby the easiest. Bayonetta, on the regular difficulty, lets you get away with a lot of sloppiness that DMC1 and 3 tend to punish you for. Something to be aware of, you can save anytime mid-mission. It will not save your progress in the level, but it will save any Red or Blue Orbs you've accumulated. This way, even if you die, you'll still have increased your Red Orb count.

If you can, just play on DMC1 Normal. Understand that the game is more about exploiting weaknesses in enemies and awareness of your surroundings. As we were all telling another newcomer to the DMC series earlier in the thread, keep in mind that mindlessly jumping to avoid attacks will often get you killed. Jumping is a bad anticipatory evasive technique in DMC as it doesn't grant a lot of horizontal movement and leaves you vulnerable the entire way down. It's deliberately designed this way. However, the early frames of a jump and roll have invincibility... so time your jumps appropriately to react to an enemy's attack. Look and listen for the cues. Devil Trigger is incredibly powerful in this game, so use it with Helm Breaker and Stinger for huge damage.

In DMC2, you can get away with just shooting most enemies to death. The combat is glitchy, the A.I. is wonky, the cutscenes are bad, and it all feels like trudging through molasses. It's easy, but it's just not fun.

DMC3 is more about offense and creativity. Get used to weapon switching and figure out which combinations work well together. The same jump and roll properties from DMC1 apply here as well, except this time you have Trickster dashes for evasion if you choose that style. If you're really having trouble, Lvl2 Trickster grants you SkyStar (an airdash w/ invincibility) that makes dodging in the game a cakewalk.

Bought this game used from a guy four days ago, still haven't arrived :(

Bah, it was cheap anyway. I guess I'll just have to go buy another copy. Fuck it, DMC3 is worth it.

Buy a new copy! This collection should sell well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually, I'm having a hard time killing the first boss in DMC1 (the crab thing). Maybe I should upgrade? But the problem is that I don't have much red orbs (I finished the second stage once only).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually, I'm having a hard time killing the first boss in DMC1 (the crab thing). Maybe I should upgrade? But the problem is that I don't have much red orbs (I finished the second stage once only).

You're just not used to it. The game hasn't clicked yet, and you don't know the weaknesses of your enemy. The game doesn't hold your hand, so you need to figure out the weaknesses yourself. Stinger should be for first purchase, always. Blue or Purple Orbs help.

Phantom falls quickly to Air Raid, I've heard, but if you've never played DMC before I doubt you have enough Red Orbs to buy that ability. Use your Devil Trigger and Helm Breaker the fleshy part at the base of his tail or his face when he uncovers it. Remember that you can shoot him, and even if he blocks it you get some Devil Trigger gauge. If he's in recovery of something, you can taunt him and get some Devil Trigger gauge as well. Like I said, don't underestimate how powerful Devil Trigger is in DMC1. It also reduces damage taken, regenerates health, and you have armor on certain moves.

As for red orbs, like I said: Save before the boss fight. Maybe re-enter certain areas to intiate fights again. Then save. You keep all red orbs if you save. Then, if you die, just reload the game.

Sera O

Banned

I was in the same situation (no upgrades except for DT, was having problems). Everything Guardian E suggests is good. Also, you can deflect projectiles back into his face. Helmbreaker and DT to get in his face when chances arise.

You also want to avoid getting into tight areas where you can't move enough to avoid the lava attack he has.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to finish DMC1 tonight. Great game. I'm shocked at how well it's held up over the years. I've never played the game before and the only thing that really annoys me is the constant recycling of the bosses. Aside from that this is the first stylish action game I've really put time into and am really enjoying it. Haven't gotten my ass kicked as much as I thought I would and I enjoy the combat depth. I doubt I'm skilled enough to take on higher difficulties but I really enjoy the way the game plays. I think I'm going to skip DMC2 for now and go straight to 3 later on once I'm done.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just finished DMC3 DMD. Yay! Arkham was such an annoying bitch. Three times in a row, I would get him down to a sliver of health and then get combo insta-killed. Much cursing ensued.

After that, I went directly into Heaven or Hell mode. It's just a hilarious change of pace from DMD.

All that's left for me are the Bloody Palaces in both DMC2 and DMC3, and finishing up DMD in DMC1 (I think I'm on Mission 16). I'm going to stock up on a bunch of items for DMC2's awful Bloody Palace. I never use items in any playthrough of any DMC, but DMC2 is such a chore to play that I can't help but give myself a by in this instance.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am not sure if I want to continue using Swordmaster in DMC3, it is all I have ever really used. Although I am not sure what to use instead, Trickster seems appealing as I love having a dedicated dodge button. (If trickster does give you that.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I am not sure if I want to continue using Swordmaster in DMC3, it is all I have ever really used. Although I am not sure what to use instead, Trickster seems appealing as I love having a dedicated dodge button. (If trickster does give you that.)

Trickster is the easiest Style to use by far and grants the most mobility, both offensive and defensive. It does have a dedicated dodge button. The ground dash is alright, but where Trickster really shines is SkyStar (airdash) at Lvl 2. A low to ground SkyStar grants more invincibility and horizontal movement quicker than anything else in the game (the early jump frames and the entire duration of SkyStar have invincibility). It makes dodging a breeze. At Lvl 3, you get the Air Trick, which is essentially a homing teleport. Combined with Air Hike and Enemy Step, Trickster makes it so that you never have to touch the ground if you're capable enough.

Gunslinger is neat to use, but benefits more from a modified control scheme. It's awkward at first, but certainly has its advantages.

Royal Guard is always badass... Guard Cancel Spiral shots, and Air Just Blocking/Releasing. It takes some practice, but flatout destroys several bosses.

Also I wanna take this time to say the beginning battle with Mundus in DMC1 on DMD is beyond stupid and cheap. I know a lot of people bitch about Arkham in DMC3 DMD but I think it would be much easier to S rank Arkham then to S rank Mundus. I will never have the patience to attempt that fight without using devil stars.

Edit: Okay I decided that to watch some youtube video's out of morbid curiosity on DMC1 DMD Mundus fight. I couldn't find any legit video's showcasing a legit DMD S perfect S rank. I saw one of a guy using super dante and a turbo controller but even so I don't understand how he did so much damage with a full DT dragon shot against Mundus where it took almost a fourth of his life gone. When I do it, it only does a fraction of that.

I did however learn two things. Vortex goes through some of Mundus projectiles. That could have been handy. Also, during the second mundus fight you can hit mundus' projectiles back at him with SPARDA. WTF! I never knew that. After all these years.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So fucking SICK! God, I need DMC4 PC.

edit: also, welcome back Gunbo! I missed you ♥

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished DMC1 last night. First time playing through it and I really enjoyed it. I hated having to fight the same bosses so many times though, especially Nightmare. Despite that the game has aged pretty damn well and the variety and insanity of the last few missions were greatly appreciated.

I decided to jump right into 3 since I've wanted to play it for a while. I had always figured it's greatness was exaggerated but, nope, it really is that fantastic. I can't really explain it but the second I got in control of Dante I felt far more in control and awesome than I ever did in 1. Cerberus has kind of killed my buzz though :/ Swordmaster is the only style I can seem to do decent damage to him with but he always manages to kill me with the tiniest sliver of health left. Still, I can't wait to get past him and play the rest of the game.

Nemesis_

Also I wanna take this time to say the beginning battle with Mundus in DMC1 on DMD is beyond stupid and cheap. I know a lot of people bitch about Arkham in DMC3 DMD but I think it would be much easier to S rank Arkham then to S rank Mundus. I will never have the patience to attempt that fight without using devil stars.

Edit: Okay I decided that to watch some youtube video's out of morbid curiosity on DMC1 DMD Mundus fight. I couldn't find any legit video's showcasing a legit DMD S perfect S rank. I saw one of a guy using super dante and a turbo controller but even so I don't understand how he did so much damage with a full DT dragon shot against Mundus where it took almost a fourth of his life gone. When I do it, it only does a fraction of that.

I did however learn two things. Vortex goes through some of Mundus projectiles. That could have been handy. Also, during the second mundus fight you can hit mundus' projectiles back at him with SPARDA. WTF! I never knew that. After all these years.

I don't think it's cheap (I did while wrapped up in the frustration of trying to beat him) - it's more of an endurance match. Once you've got his patterns down (and it's incredibly easy to do so) he's quite easy to approach. The hardest part is easily the parts towards the end when he goes ape shit and releases everything, though this is easy to avoid if you learn his patterns again.

If you hit Mundus while he's raising his arm to release his orbs, at the right time, you will do a "critical hit" and consequently do quite a bit of damage. You can also do massive (comparatively) damage by vortexing him as he flies towards you to change sides, but not TOO close to him or you will take damage too. It's also very doable.

The best way to get in on Mundus II is to just Round Trip and then chip away with charged Meteors. This provides near-Sparda level damage coupled with a fully charged devil trigger. Use the shotgun to take out his orbs and recover your DT. If you do happen to get damaged you can always slay the fire dragons for extra health (though this shouldn't be an issue if you're going for S rank).

I think in the end I did it, without items, for an A Rank and that was because I made some really dumb mistakes. Just learn to position yourself so your shotgun hits multiple orbs at once. I think you can hit up to FOUR of the smaller ones in a row sometimes and up to TWO of the bigger ones at once, some even while you're on the complete opposite side.

You can of course leave these larger orbs and hit his projectiles back at him, but I personally found that to be way too risky (also, the fire dragon's fireballs can be hit back at him too, but once again, I found that too risky and just used DT Helm Breakers instead).

GOOD LUCK. I'm not on the same level as Dahbomb or Gunbo (probably a little bit below) and I managed to A Rank it. I imagine S Ranking is not that far behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyO7mPjgGA8&hd=1

Kind of a buggy clip and I'm too lazy to fix the little issues.

I can't wait to play DMC4 again once I finish up with DMC3 HD.

Dahbomb

So, errr, does Quicksilver have any decent application?
Yeah it does. It's an excellent boss killer because as soon as you get the boss to be "exposed" (like you get them fall over or have their weak spot come up) you can go to town on them for some nice damage.

Quicksilver is godly for when you get on top of Gigapede's head, against Geryon as it's essentially a counter pick (Quicksilver negates his Quicksilver), Cerberus, A&R, Jester, Nevan, DG etc.

Also the activation and de-activation frames of QS are fully invulnerable. Really though if you have trouble against any boss fight you can try it out in QS and it becomes much easier. Of course you give up DT and DT Flux for it but it makes a fight much easier overall.

You are probably going to ask so I am going to answer in advance. Doppelganger is an insane style but either on par or more difficult than RG to control and use properly. When you press Devil Trigger while in Doppelganger it changes the delay time after which the clone attacks. On default it attacks on the frame that you attack, pressing DT once will cause a slight delay in his attack and pressing DT twice will cause an extended delay (pressig DT 4th will bring it back to same time activation). You can freely switch your weapons but your clone can't so you can make some crazy multi dimensional weapon combos. Also if you are charging an attack but your clone doesn't have a charge attack weapon you can still attack with your clone while you yourself charge. Playing around with the different delays, charges, crazy combos, buffers will lead to some outrageous combo technology. Against bosses DG is very effective because it's like having a DT that attacks twice. Against Cerberus, DG is the PREFERRED style. Finally, you can pop in a 2nd controller and have your friend control the clone for you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone got any tips for Cerberus in DMC3 on a first time play through? I've been using Swordmaster on him since it's air combo is the only thing that seems to do decent damage. I've also been blowing my red orbs on a blue orb and a bunch of healing items right before the fight with him but maybe I should invest in other moves?

Nemesis_

Ahh right. I just assumed QS didn't work against bosses (kind of like how the Bangle of Time didn't in DMC >_>)

Thanks for the tips!

Dahbomb

Does this still apply in the HD Collection?
Don't know for sure but that would be something worth testing out I guess.

Anyone got any tips for Cerberus in DMC3 on a first time play through? I've been using Swordmaster on him since it's air combo is the only thing that seems to do decent damage. I've also been blowing my red orbs on a blue orb and a bunch of healing items right before the fight with him but maybe I should invest in other moves?
You are doing it wrong. Don't use red orbs for healing items (although blue orbs are not a bad investment but not this early on). Use it to buy moves/abilities. Gotta have that Stinger and Air Hike for Rebellion and then Revolver for Cerberus as top priority.

You want to chip away at his ice from afar. Use the L3 button to change targets (new feature in DMC3) and chip away at his head and feet. You can attack the feet or the head once ice has been taken out, eventually he will fall over and then you can start attacking the head. Be ready for when he turns red, he becomes much more aggressive and watch out for his pounce attack, you need to be on the money to evade it. It's a lot of tight dodging, chipping away with guns then coming into hit his meaty parts and some patience.

Also you better be playing on Gold checkpoint system.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You are doing it wrong. Don't use red orbs for healing items (although blue orbs are not a bad investment but not this early on).

You want to chip away at his ice from afar. Use the L3 button to change targets (new feature in DMC3) and chip away at his head and feet. You can attack the feet or the head once ice has been taken out, eventually he will fall over and then you can start attacking the head. Be ready for when he turns red, he becomes much more aggressive and watch out for his pounce attack, you need to be on the money to evade it. It's a lot of tight dodging, chipping away with guns then coming into hit his meaty parts and some patience.

Also you better be playing on Gold checkpoint system.
Ah thanks, didn't realize that I should use the guns to get rid of the ice. I was just using sword combos. That'll make it a TON easier since I'll have more time to dodge. I just finished DMC1 and I rarely used the guns in that, except for the shotgun on Sargassos and Sin Sisters. I don't think I'll need any extra healing items now. I can usually get to where he's red without taking damage. I am on Gold checkpoint too.

gunbo13

Roll dodge his ice drops in succession, jump back on his lunge, chip away at his heads with E&I, and don't camp in ground state near him (he will swipe and headbutt). His lunge is the biggest BS he will throw so try not to stay in the center of the arena as that is the worst position possible.

If you can ESC, then even Reb can tear down his heads with aerial rave cancels. But for a beginner, try to use quick AR bursts and keep moving. If you are not on your first trip, you can shed all three heads and bash them with Nevan's air slash. You can down him in under a minute with just E&I + air slash on SM/DMD.

Nemesis_

You guys are saying he better be on Gold? Why? Is Gold better? I assumed Yellow would be better since it's more, errrr, like DMC1.

Dahbomb

In DMC1 you start off with 3 Yellow orbs and you usually get enough in areas and such. Plus missions are way shorter especially the ones with bosses.

In DMC3 yellow orbs are rarer and more expensive plus missions are usually longer (every mission after #3). You also don't get 3 starting off. I mean if you want to go for that experience then that's perfectly fine but if you are going to come online for help the first thing I am going to ask is "gold or yellow?" Because yellow means that you are accepting the challenge and pain but gold means you are open to some leeway and external help.

Just because Yellow is more like DMC1 doesn't make it the better one for newcomers. These games are almost a decade old and people would rather play on a more current checkpoint system. Hell I will admit I have gotten lazy over the years and if I run across a game with limited checkpoint system I would go "WTF?"

Nemesis_

Just because Yellow is more like DMC1 doesn't make it the better one for newcomers. These games are almost a decade old and people would rather play on a more current checkpoint system. Hell I will admit I have gotten lazy over the years and if I run across a game with limited checkpoint system I would go "WTF?"

Oh, I thought I might have missed something. I never really considered myself a newcomer so I went with Yellow. >_> That's was my assumption based on my own needs.

gunbo13

Oh shit welcome back. Apparently I missed the posts above me. :p
Thanks, good to be back.
What is the setup for this? Is it just DMD mode with infinite DT? I haven't played the PC version, so I'm not sure of the choices other than LDK mode. Also, nice, I'd like to see more, and I'd definitely be interested in a tutorial video for Nero like you did for some of the DMC3 stuff.
It's a customized setup of mine to string out combos and practice. It's not normally allowed by the game. I could do a tutorial for Nero, yes. I didn't show a lot of stuff because I only capped the mechanics I was practicing with at the time. You have stuff like side switching, charge shot rush-down, roulette rises, streak cancels without buster, etc... I also need more time in the cooker with my max-acts. The issue right now is that there is a group of enemies to style on with different hit-box properties. I was practicing on scarecrows. But Nero also does well on mega scarecrows and frosts. So I'd want to develop that area a bit more even though I've worked on all of them thus far.

Nero is also quite like Vergil with his mechanics. Both are what I call "bag of tricks" characters. Basically, you don't have choice with your setups so working with both of them is just about mixing up the tricks. Nero has his main selection of say ~20 or so tricks with Vergil having more then that. But you can only go so far with these characters without it becomes all about mixing up the tricks. It's like you hit a wall with your design and only can only mix your shit up to keep it fresh. This makes things stale.

Dante on the other hand is all about falling down the rabbit hole. In DMC3/DMC4, he never ends. On DMC3 to keep falling you do indeed have to switch up his styles. But his range is ridiculous. DMC4 is that effect x10 since you add all the variables into one mix and go to town. This makes Dante the ultimate style master since he isn't a "bag of tricks." You have a set of mechanics with Dante and you can mix/match forever. If you don't have 100+ custom setups with Dante, you are doing it wrong. I spent months with DMC3 Dante. I have spent hours with Nero/Vergil. And while it looks like the play of all three are about the same from the videos, my DMC3 Dante is FAR more developed. Like level 60 RPG compared to noob level sub-10s. Dante does "what I tell him" in DMC3 and I don't have to fight him like the other two.

So yea, TLDR I'll do more with Nero per request. Just wanted to give some insight into why I jump around. It won't be long until I drop him for Dante though. <3 Dante. ;)

Dahbomb

If the action genre doesn't evolve post the current crop of games, then DMC4 Dante will be the character with the most potential depth in an action game in the history of gaming. I am sure that if people still played DMC4 for 5-6 years more we would find more stuff on Dante and more ways to push his skillset.

I don't think an action game or a fighting game can be made where DMC4 Dante wouldn't over power it completely. Capcom had to nerf Vanilla DMC3 Dante so badly for Ultimate and yet they still couldn't keep him out of top tier. DMC4 was made well around Nero but it couldn't contain the options of Dante.

You're just not used to it. The game hasn't clicked yet, and you don't know the weaknesses of your enemy. The game doesn't hold your hand, so you need to figure out the weaknesses yourself. Stinger should be for first purchase, always. Blue or Purple Orbs help.

Phantom falls quickly to Air Raid, I've heard, but if you've never played DMC before I doubt you have enough Red Orbs to buy that ability. Use your Devil Trigger and Helm Breaker the fleshy part at the base of his tail or his face when he uncovers it. Remember that you can shoot him, and even if he blocks it you get some Devil Trigger gauge. If he's in recovery of something, you can taunt him and get some Devil Trigger gauge as well. Like I said, don't underestimate how powerful Devil Trigger is in DMC1. It also reduces damage taken, regenerates health, and you have armor on certain moves.

As for red orbs, like I said: Save before the boss fight. Maybe re-enter certain areas to intiate fights again. Then save. You keep all red orbs if you save. Then, if you die, just reload the game.
Meh... Alternate helm break and trying to jump on his back as you see fit. Fight's easy as cake

gunbo13

If the action genre doesn't evolve post the current crop of games, then DMC4 Dante will be the character with the most potential depth in an action game in the history of gaming. I am sure that if people still played DMC4 for 5-6 years more we would find more stuff on Dante and more ways to push his skillset.

I don't think an action game or a fighting game can be made where DMC4 Dante wouldn't over power it completely. Capcom had to nerf Vanilla DMC3 Dante so badly for Ultimate and yet they still couldn't keep him out of top tier. DMC4 was made well around Nero but it couldn't contain the options of Dante.
Agreed to all of this. Dante wasn't a failure in DMC4. DMC4 failed Dante. I do have wishlists for tweaks but his systems in DMC3/DMC4 are simply unmatched.
Thanks. I recognize the simplicity of Nero (relative to Dante), but with less time to play, I really like his focus. I love that snatch allows you to do knockback moves without sacrificing much comboability. And max-act just makes every hit more fun.
I don't want to imply that his mechanics are easy though even if his baseline is simple. Max-acts on turbo speed like shown in the video are difficult. It is all about controlling your input rhythms on separate sets. Like left/right brain stuff.

/\ /\ calibur (max acts) is actually a pain. You get collisions with the input sets.

Attack rhythms (^ = beats or pauses between frames)
/\ ^ /\ B F ^ /\

Max act rhythms to the above (x = just acts)
^ X ^ ^ X ^ ^ X

So it kind of ends up like:
/\ X /\ B FX ^ /\ X

All of these are just inputs. And you have to go through this process for ALL your max act setups. All have different timings, some tough, some easier.

But I'll do some more with Nero as stated. I'm trying to think of a good stage area to style on a mega-scarecrow...hmm.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to play DMC3 soooo hard again, but first I got to endure the pile of boringness that is DMC2 (never played that before), I promised that myself. But buy, is it ever so tedious... I'm on mission 8 with Dante and already I have enough. And then everything again with Lucia, and then again on hard mode. Phew.

Is there something to look forward to in this game? Is hard mode at least a little challenging?

Yea, I was thinking about game design and remembered how interesting I found the Max Act system. Then I decided to try playing again and remembered how incredibly hard it is to time all of those inputs correctly. Years later, I was able to come back and stomp Vergil3, but getting all of the Max Act timings down again seems tougher. Definitely an interesting system.

Nemesis_

I just want to play DMC3 soooo hard again, but first I got to endure the pile of boringness that is DMC2 (never played that before), I promised that myself. But buy, is it ever so tedious... I'm on mission 8 with Dante and already I have enough. And then everything again with Lucia, and then again on hard mode. Phew.

Is there something to look forward to in this game? Is hard mode at least a little challenging?

That fucking FISH BATTLE with LUCIA is easily the worst thing I've ever played in a video game ever.

If it helps, it's kind of fulfilling to know that you can easily finish Lucia's campaign within two hours if you rush. And it's not like you would have any reason NOT TO RUSH anyway.

DMC3, just beat Arkham. So much BRO in that finishing cutscenes. Love Dante and Vergil's relationship, but I really wish we would see more of either of them :(

I kind of want a prequel where we PLAY as Sparda. That would be cool.

If you guys could pick for a DMC5 would you rather Dante

A) Have a style selection a la DMC3 with a more varied and balanced moveset

or

B) Have a Dante be a overpowered madhouse a la DMC4 with every style with a little less varied moveset but has access to all moves at all times

I personally would prefer option A. When I play Dante in DMC4 I actually feel a little overwhelmed. Too many moves and tool sets. I feel like I have to constantly change my styles and attacks almost to an insane degree because I always feel I have to utilize every option during play to keep that style up. Dante is too powerful. The speed of trickster and defense of RG with the moveset of SM and the "chip" of gunslinger is too much. I feel as though my base skill is relying on these supper moves more and more. Combos potential and practicality start overflowing my mind and I start to overanalize things. It kinda kills my base fun a little.

Option A I feel is better because you can improve your skills on a more base value and are given an option of how you want your Dante to progress. For example, in DMC3 when using Gunslinger (One of my most least used styles in 3 and 4) I would base my play around that style and try to incorporate it into my normal play or change the way I play around to a more GS focused style of play. In DMC4 you can do this too but I felt less compelled to do this because I feel the other styles overridden my desire on a more focused play to a more ADD style of do this and this and this and that. Option A also had a small risk reward factor going for it. Using Trickster helped your evasiveness but allowed less combat options ect. ect.

What do you guys think or want? (Sorry for the WoT)

Top Bottom