• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants 3x Japanese (3DS?) success in the U.S.: What should they do?

Aeonin

3DS Redesign. MacBook Air thin-ness + unique finish. Seriously, make it as small and sexy as possible.

Build it, and they will come. (games...not baseball players).

LuchaShaq

Banned
No idea besides massive massive unrealistic hardware changes both internal and external.

Personally the combination of 3d+bad ergonomics means that even if it was 50$ I wouldn't even be tempted.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No idea besides massive massive unrealistic hardware changes both internal and external.

Personally the combination of 3d+bad ergonomics means that even if it was 50$ I wouldn't even be tempted.
You can turn off the 3D, you know.

As much as I would miss the memes, I think the answer is to replace Reggie and restructure NoA. They need somebody who will steer the American branch to being as aggressive as NCL is being in Japan. Reggie's apparent strategic preferences work great when their system is printing money, but not so well when they need to lift their system out of the doldrums, and NoA have shown a slowness to adapt.

I don't think Iwata's targets are attainable with the way that smartphone gaming has impacted the market in America. The gap in the shape of the US and Japanese markets is only widening. That said, the 3DS could be performing much stronger than it has been as a platform for dedicated gamers.

First, they should discontinue the DS. People are still buying that platform for the large back catalogue. Sales exceeded expectations over the past year. Killing through competitive price drop is not enough, they need to clear that hardware out of retail and drive people to buy a 3DS if they want to buy Super Mario 64 DS.

Secondly, they should do a lot more to bring small and indy developers to the 3DS. Big western developers have no interest in developing for a dedicated handheld, and attempting to fight for their support would be futile. The indie sphere overwhelmingly targets iOS and there's no hope of changing that, but it's possible that there's a good number of garage devs out there that would like to release their games on the less crowded market of a dedicated handheld, with a userbase potentially more open to certain styles of game. Nintendo need to court these developers by making it a hell of a lot easier to acquire their development tools. They still adhere to an outdated, overly restrictive policy that seems to have been designed to stop low quality junk ware from flooding platforms like NES and GameBoy, but it's ridiculous in an age with such a competitive indy development scene.
This is the only kind of western support they have a good chance of picking up, so Nintendo need to start taking it more seriously, and soon. Making the platform one strongly associated with fun, small, quirky experiences using traditional game controls would be one way to carve out a lucrative niche for the platform.

Thirdly, games, games, games. Skipping major Japanese titles that NoA and western publishers doubted the financial viability of worked in the past, but with the horrible state of western support, it doesn't cut it anymore. I'd wager that the huge gaps in the 3DS schedule in the west are seriously hurting its perception. Nintendo's first party heavy hitters can only carry the system so far. Ramping up localization efforts is the only way to ensure the system has a steady steam of new games. Even if some of these releases are turbo bombs, it would be a worthwhile investment for the system because it would be clear evidence that Nintendo are constantly working behind the scenes to ensure 3DS owners have something to play. With Nintendo now introducing DD for retail titles, as well as a relatively risk free means of selling niche games at retail in the form of game download cards, they now have no excuse not to start bringing over all the major Japanese games to America and Europe. I think even something as niche as Hatsune Miku would be profitable with a well priced, DD exclusive, quick and dirty text translated release.

For the future, I think Nintendo need to try a lot harder with the unique selling point of their next handheld. 3D, a purely visual enhancement, clearly wasn't good enough. They need something so unique that many in the mass audience will be willing to pay to play the system in addition to their smartphones.

Hit it out of the park.

A groundswell of developers creating games on a platform would start a positive publicity feedback loop.

Jokeropia

3x is a hella high bar, I think they'd be satisfied with a ratio similar to DS.
Like I said, I just think the "fishing for game cartridges to insert into your handheld" is what died with the smart phones. 16-32GB filled with as many games as you can fit on there instead of 15 tiny plastic squares in my pocket to fish through to load the game I want. It's cumbersome and we have evolved past it now.

If I could take my 3DS without having to worry about also the pocket full of games, I would be a happy man. Instead I just end up fiddling around with the one device I always have in my pocket, my iPhone. (I own a 3DS and many games, so I'm not shitting on the system, but I think the days of portable hard games needs to be over in order to compete with the new daddies on the block, iOS/Android.)
I've got good news for you, Nintendo revealed in the financial results briefing today that they're gonna start selling full 3DS (and WiiU) games digitally as well, starting with NSMB2 this August.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/04.html

Effect

3x is a hella high bar, I think they'd be satisfied with a ratio similar to DS. I've got good news for you, Nintendo revealed in the financial results briefing today that they're gonna start selling full 3DS (and WiiU) games digitally as well, starting with NSMB2 this August.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/04.html

I would hope that means Nintendo would start then but others don't have to wait until then. Still it can't be said enough. The problem is NoA (has been for a number of years now) and until that's addressed what Iwata wants isn't going to happen unless NCL changes the relationship with NoA. Changes it to the point where NCL talks and NoA simply acts and is stripped of it's power to decide what it brings over. If that means it's run the way NoE is run then so be it.

Boney

Banned
Nintendo has positioned some heavy hitters and I think they'll keep pushing KI as well to become a hit, but what they missed out, which was especially important last holiday season was a title with the appeal of MHTriG, ie; not a Nintendo game.

Revelations could've been a key title in their strategy, and while I'm aware western gamers aren't to empathical towards these type of games on handhelds, I think it got lost between marketing blitz in February when it could've been a much bigger November title that while not a the biggest seller, it could've set a different tone in regards of the 3DS library.

It's impossible to transition the PSP audience in the west because there is no PSP audience, and that's the biggest challenge they face. But what can be done is actively working with their third party partners and ensure a timely localization with a big enough push so they can create buzz in conjunction. Of course, first things first we'd need NOA to get off their ass and start putting out content themselves.

It's gonna be relatively tough sailing between now and August, with only Mario Tennis being the only noticeable hit.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Just pointing out that it will still be around even if it's declining, because Japan will keep it alive. That's why the market still gets attention and why it's "difficult [...] for people/companies to grasp."

Based on iOS sales numbers in Japan(surprising to me they'd buy anything American) it may actually have some competition in the near future.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
1. Stronger First-Party Output geared at western games. Retro Studios is doing that already most likely with an FPS (speculation). Have more studios follow suite in similar or other genres. Additionally shop around for new first-party titles from indie developers like SONY and Microsoft.

2. Nullify saturation. Everyone loves Mario. Some people like Pokemon. But make sure there is never a saturation level where the machine becomes known as a "mario machine" or a "pokemon machine". Variety and timing would do wonders.

3. Broaden Virtual Console and 3D Classics / HD Classics line with diverse properties. How about releasing all those old classic Famicom / SNES / 64DD titles. Create some affinity for things other than Mario and Zelda.

muu

3X Japan? I'm sorry, but as much as I've enjoyed the 3DS that's simply. not. happening. iOS is gaining too much traction compared to Japan, and while many people will realize after playing that Nintendo titles cost more than 99cents, those people are not going to chance with 170+40 for a game when they can get their 5min fix of doodle jump or whatever the fuck they play for a buck. Or free. Their other option is to get people to realize that a lot of those portable offerings can rival the home console experience (minus a lot of graphical and aural glitz of course), but that'd require assistance from western devs that are all out on spending as much money as they can to show blood veins popping out from each of their characters. They don't know how to make proper portable games, and that's not likely to change. The 3DS obviously has the Japanese market cornered, in the US it feels much more like a PSP with some mario games.

Xellos

3DS is like the N64 of portable gaming. It has a handful of top-flight exclusives, but not much after that. iOS/Android are the new Playstation, with more games, lower prices (retail vs. digital is the new cartridge vs. CD), and more innovation. If Nintendo wants to improve sales they have to fully embrace digital distribution and aggressively pursue third party support, especially from smaller developers (the guys working on PC/iOS). Get more games, re-vamp the e-shop to be the primary distribution method for 3DS, then market the shit out of that. The current model of $40 retail exclusives will never get Nintendo the level of success they want.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Put stuff out in the Summer instead of.... Tennis.

Animal Crossing would be perfect and would probably do well because of it. Advertise your core stuff like Fire Emblem. Draw similarities to Pokemon even if they're not there. When you pick up Pokemon Black 2 there should be a 'Hey, you should check out Fire Emblem or Pokemon Conquest'. I think they can communicate that stuff better.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PUT OUT SOMETHING ON THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Nintendo has positioned some heavy hitters and I think they'll keep pushing KI as well to become a hit, but what they missed out, which was especially important last holiday season was a title with the appeal of MHTriG, ie; not a Nintendo game.

Revelations could've been a key title in their strategy, and while I'm aware western gamers aren't to empathical towards these type of games on handhelds, I think it got lost between marketing blitz in February when it could've been a much bigger November title that while not a the biggest seller, it could've set a different tone in regards of the 3DS library.

It's impossible to transition the PSP audience in the west because there is no PSP audience, and that's the biggest challenge they face. But what can be done is actively working with their third party partners and ensure a timely localization with a big enough push so they can create buzz in conjunction. Of course, first things first we'd need NOA to get off their ass and start putting out content themselves.

It's gonna be relatively tough sailing between now and August, with only Mario Tennis being the only noticeable hit.
Yeah, this summarizes my thoughts.

Nintendo also needs to actively market much better. Marketing for stuff such as Brain Training and Nintendogs or Wii Sports/Wii Fit for the Wii were on point in America. They did an amazing job marketing those titles and it had the public coming back for more with WSR and WF+. With the 3DS in general their marketing has been lazy. It's like they expected people would just jump on board because DS was in the name.

3DS Lite
Better battery life, built in 2nd pad

Pokemon 3DS

Well maybe thats just what I'm waiting on

This isn't going to happen. The 3DS isn't much bigger than the DS lite and you're asking them to cram more things in there.

loosus

Banned
I think both Sony and Nintendo have it backwards. I thought Sony was going in the right direction with its operating system, but it's a closed system, too. Sometimes, I really think Sony and Nintendo don't understand that the market has been completely flipped on its head and that their offerings just look dull and old in comparison. They talk a good game about "changing" or "disrupting" the market, but they ironically are not the ones doing that. Apple and Google are the ones who are really, actually making changes in the handheld industry.

larvi

Pokemon and 3DS-XL would help for me, but honestly I have so many DS games yet to play I'm in no hurry to get another platform. But I said that about the GBA - DS but I eventually caved when a new pokemon came out for the DS.

I also think the 3D tag isn't helping them much, 3D seems to me to be more of a gimick and not really something I actually want, I feel the same way about 3D TVs and 3D movies and I don't think US audiences have been all that receptive to those either.

Yeah, Kid Icarus is exactly the type of game to expand the 3DS' audience.

Disregarding the fact that it's not new, it's an old series that's mainly selling due to nostalgia and Pit's popularity in Brawl. It's not going to capture anyone outside of Nintendo's core audience. It's certainly not going to increase 3DS sales in the U.S. significantly even with its extensive marketing campaign.

They've been doing that non-stop. Doesn't work.

How has Nintendo been doing this with the 3DS exactly?

So far Nintendo the 3DS' biggest titles have been the same Mario/Pokemon/Zelda type series that we saw on the previous handhelds. In order for the 3DS to grab the lion's share of the expanded audience that Nintendo needs, they need to release breakout series like they did with the DS (e.g. Nintendogs and Brain Training), and originally, the Gameboy (Pokemon and Tetris). Pokemon was a breakout series back on the GB and attracted many new users, but now a big Pokemon title won't bring in a new audience. It will only appeal to the same userbase that bought the previous Nintendo handhelds and games.

The Gameboy Advance suffered a similar fate. It sold well, had some successful games, and made Nintendo a healthy profit. But it fell far short of its predecessor because it didn't provide significant gameplay innovations and it offered pretty much the exact same series as the original GB did. Millions of people who bought the GB either moved on or simply didn't find the GBA library compelling since it featured essentially the same experiences with a slight graphical overhaul.

If Nintendo doesn't change their software strategy significantly, the 3DS will have a similar fate. It will sell very well (likely over 100 million), have some successful games, and should make them a healthy profit. But if Nintendo wants the kind of sales target they've outlined here, or if they want the 3DS to even begin to approach the sales of the DS, they need to offer innovative games that appeal to a broader audience. But seeing as how the major innovation of the 3DS is a visual upgrade, this may prove difficult.

he said, as friggin' Super Mario 64 DS continues to sell.

Not sure how that disproves my point at all. Of course old Nintendo series are selling well. But Super Mario 64 wasn't the game that expanded the DS' userbase to the extent we see now. It was titles like Nintendogs/Brain Training which brought in an expanded audience, and this new audience poured over into the classic Nintendo series. There was a similar situation on the Wii where the audience who played games like Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Fit poured over into the classic Nintendo IPs on the Wii and we saw a significant growth in those series (particularly Mario Kart).

Point is, even if the 3DS sells fairly well in the short term, Nintendo will need to release innovative breakout titles to expand the audience to meet their targets. With increasing competition from iPhone/iPad/Online games, making titles with broad audience appeal is an even more important task.

seipherzero

Neo Member
  • Open up the 3DS platform, making SDKs available (like Apple) for a relatively low price OR have tiered SDK plans to appeal to different levels of developers.
    This gets more third party developers on-board. 3DS also has 3D (obviously), which gives it, I daresay, a competitive advantage (iOS/Android games can't replicate). Other advantages over Apple devices are physical controls and dual screens. I really think an open platform that they can monetize is key.​
  • Free eShop games with IAP/IGP.
  • Doing the above expands the 3DS market, from just gamers to people who like games but also get additional value in third party apps.
    Competes with the iTouch/ potentially iPad. Also, stuff like better online support will come naturally if they concentrate on opening up the platform, imo.​

Negator

As some have already stated in this thread:

Release more games. Japan is getting a whole lot more games on a regular basis. Western developers are not going to develop quality software for the 3DS, so that means there needs to be extra effort in making sure games are localized and released here.

Release more games 2: Virtual Console. The virtual console is a graveyard. Nobody cares about it anymore because of Nintendo's squandered efforts to make it relevant again. More games need to come out on this service. What the hell is a dedicated handheld without the games?

Pokemon Black 2/White 2.
Nintendo had the perfect opportunity to expand the 3DS userbase with a 3DS Pokemon game, an IP that is more than capable of moving hardware and can rival Mario for worldwide appeal and fanbase. This is a major misstep that is going to cost them in the long run.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo:

1. Do NOT try to be like Apple.
2. Do more Pokemon and Mario.
3. Do a better job of spacing out your major releases. You tend to release all your good stuff within 3 months of the holidays and then leave six month software droughts.

That's about it.

Glass Joe

1) Cancel Pokemon Black / White 2 on the DS and fast track a new 3DS entry. Or at the very least make Pokemon BW2 have bonus features when you stick the DS card in the 3DS.
2) 3DS lite with two sticks and better battery life
3) Avoid software droughts. A take-notice game should be coming every month, even if they're just more N64 remakes.
4) Get the Wii's VC on the 3DS (NES & SNES) to help with software droughts. Don't force Wii owners to repurchase their catalogs. Portability of these games would be a selling point.
5) Pokemon GBA games in e-Store now.
6) Go back in time and make Mario 3D Land your launch title. Relying on Pilotwings? Really?
7) DS downloads in e-Shop. Pokemon DS and NSMB 1 immediately with Black / White 2 available for download only in 3DS shop.

NSMB 2 coming August (and out of the blue) should help a lot, as should the download option.

Duxxy3

It doesn't have the casual hits like the DS had. Also doesn't help that north america is practically appleland.

I don't know how to fix it, but the problem is definitely the poor investment of western 3rd parties [in handheld gaming] and the demise of US market interest in the Japanse games

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, we should fix the thread title.

However, considering that the U.S. market is two or three times the size of its Japanese equivalent, I believe that the sales of the Nintendo 3DS in the U.S. are far below the level that it could potentially reach.

This is what Iwata said, not that 3DS sales must be 3x ones in Japan. :p

- Cut the price and phase the OG DS family out completely. It's time for this thing to cost $149.99, and for there to be no alternatives for cheap DS game playing. Speaking of cheap DS games....

- Cut the price of games. Default software price needs to be $29.99 for *every retail game*. No reason for $5 Squenix tax or $10 RPG tax or any of those things. Gotta close the affordability gap between these games and any other entertainment competing for time with users.

- More advertisements. The only games that get advertised are Nintendo's. Should be more ads for the bigger 3DS games. Speaking of bigger 3DS games...

- More 3DS software of relevance from people who aren't Nintendo. If Nintendo has to pay these companies to put acceptable versions of whatever is relevant from 3rd parties on the 3DS, maybe they should do that. It's good that there are Metal Gear ports and quasi-decent Sonic games and that excellent RE game, but they're going to need more stuff soon.

This is the 1st year of 3DS, and it's been pretty good...but for it to get into that next level, they're going to need to push the machine wholeheartedly. Make it disposably priced, get the games priced properly, and keep the games flowing. It'll sell even more.

Effect

I don't think StreetPass will ever be a big thing in the US outside of conventions and purposefully made groups. That was clear from the very start. That was a design mainly targeted at Japan. Which is why the online aspect of the 3DS is so important. I'm looking forward to Heroes of Ruin because of that. I just hope Square-Enix is giving nSpace everything it needs and nSpace isn't screwing it up. Going to be really disappointed if Square-Enix just releases the game with no push.

The Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 decision is disappointing. At the least that should have something extra in it if you play it on the 3DS. To make it 100% a DS game when they are trying to sell even more 3DS units is just stupid. It's one more reason for people not to move up to the new system.

Sophia

More competent and aggressive marketing and advertising form Nintendo of America would go a long way.

These two advertisements are a great example of what I mean. They're doing a fantastic job of insulting the very market they're hoping to gain. Nobody seriously thought young males really act like that, do they?

Nintendo has a lot of room to improves the 3DS sales.
They didn't even have launched a new Pokémon, Monster Hunter 4 or 3DS Lite.
They surely need to developp more games, and convince westerners to go on 3DS... but they also have an easier way: Localise games !
They also should make the eShop more accesible for developpers.

TheNatural

My Member!
Trying to get even a little support from Western developers would be a start.

I understand that most of these games aren't going to be blockbusters on a Nintendo system, but they have to at least have a PRESENCE.

Looking at the upcoming games, all Activision has is crappy licensed games. All EA has is FIFA Soccer announced and that's it. And all Ubi Soft has is Rayman Origins port and a couple of licensed shovelware games.

I'm not saying break the bank here, but I think it would be in each of their best interests to understand the market a little better and make a few games. I don't think anything is going to go nuts sales wise, but Activision could probably make a 'best of' type game with the old PS2 era Tony Hawk games and make some money. They could also make a decent James Bond game and it would sale. EA could at least put an up to date version of Madden on it.

I think all above could take games that are older and remade for XBLA and port them to 3DS and put them on a cartrdige with some additions or make a collection out of them and make some money. I refuse to believe they couldn't make viable games.

sphinx

the piano man
USA (or NTSC) is always the last to arrive to the party and are very late adopters and above all, they need variety and enticing deals.

Just do 3DS lite and more games, more more more. that's it. USA will come around, they always follow the japanese lead.

Glass Joe

- Cut the price and phase the OG DS family out completely. It's time for this thing to cost $149.99, and for there to be no alternatives for cheap DS game playing. Speaking of cheap DS games....

- Cut the price of games. Default software price needs to be $29.99 for *every retail game*. No reason for $5 Squenix tax or $10 RPG tax or any of those things. Gotta close the affordability gap between these games and any other entertainment competing for time with users.

- More advertisements. The only games that get advertised are Nintendo's. Should be more ads for the bigger 3DS games. Speaking of bigger 3DS games...

- More 3DS software of relevance from people who aren't Nintendo. If Nintendo has to pay these companies to put acceptable versions of whatever is relevant from 3rd parties on the 3DS, maybe they should do that. It's good that there are Metal Gear ports and quasi-decent Sonic games and that excellent RE game, but they're going to need more stuff soon.

This is the 1st year of 3DS, and it's been pretty good...but for it to get into that next level, they're going to need to push the machine wholeheartedly. Make it disposably priced, get the games priced properly, and keep the games flowing. It'll sell even more.

1) Isn't Nintendo already losing money for every 3DS sold? $149 is a nice pricepoint, but I don't see it happening before the holidays. In order to be successful, it has to be profitable.

2) Not sure what the markup is on 3DS games, but cutting prices isn't going to help Nintendo's bottom line either. $35 would be nice, but I'm guessing that the added price for carts (cards, really) is because cards are more expensive in the first place. More competitive prices via downloads may and should be an option this August though.

As for the games, that's very true. Seems Nintendo didn't have a strong game plan in mind at all when it came to the 3DS. I guess they thought since DS was such a success, they could phone it in and rely on the decent but not essential 3D gimmick to move units.

JGS

Banned
Lowering the price of software is the only correct answer.

Also, cutoff supply of DS and make the 3DS the standard. No price drops,, no new software, just quit cold turkey.

GG-Duo

It would be wonderful if they can beef up the eshop and virtual console offerings.

And once they do that, it would be great if they release a 3rd pillar - $79 game boy micro with wifi/eshop. Market the hell out of its eshop.

basically, compete with the iPod touch for kids.

3DS continue its path today.

Hale-XF11

Where are all the AR games? Nintendo should have included some new ones in the latest firmware update or start selling them cheap in the eShop.

Also, what are western developers up to? What's Monster Games been doing since they wrapped up their work on Pilotwings Resort? Kinda feels like they dropped off the radar.

linko9

Well pokemon is obviously going to help a lot when that comes, and I imagine NSMB2 should give it a sizable bump as well. But I think expecting that the 3DS will do anywhere near as well as the DS in the west is unrealistic. Dedicated portable gaming systems have simply become less popular, and while Nintendo will still make boatloads of money on 3DS in the west, the boats will be considerably smaller.

Top Bottom