• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haven't seen this posted in this thread, but there is a topic about Crytek claiming TS4 isn't in development.

I think the rumours (there were rumours, weren't there? Speculation maybe?) that TimeSplitters 4 was being developed for the Wii U were always completely bogus. What I figure has happened, as I posted in that thread, is Crytek shopped around the idea of a new TimeSplitters. They own the IP, and we know Free Radical made some assets prior to the buy out. It makes sense, and is economical, to throw some of those assets into CryEngine 3, make them presentable, and use it as both a tech demo for their engine and also a means to gauge publisher interest in a new game. Unfortunately I doubt any publisher gave a shit. Thus we get reports of people claiming to have seen TimeSplitters 4, when in reality no actual TimeSplitters 4 is in development.

Crytek UK are busy with Homefront 2, which is guaranteed for the Wii U. They have kits, and THQ is banking on huge Wii U support, cashing in on the new console hype to hopefully dig themselves out of their financial gutter. I wouldn't be surprised to see a teaser or quick demo of Homefront 2 shown at Nintendo's E3 presser, and I expect it to look like a shitty Call of Duty clone.

So. Experts, enthusiasts and specialguy:

What are the chances that the Ubisoft video is indeed a internal/old one?

Pretty much 100%. Dev controller tied to the system. Devs acting. Random Ubisoft trinkets used on the pads. Warner Bros. music :p. Definitely internal, and definitely conceptual. Which is why I'm wary the toy-to-game gimmick will actually be in the final version. Not that it couldn't work or that the team doesn't want to do it, but Ubi might not see production of separate goodies worth the investment.

I figure they'll run with it, but yeah. It's purely internal and conceptual, so I'd take its content with a grain of salt.

BurntPork

Banned
Posts are always missed. And everybody always notes those ones, not the ones that were caught. No offence was taken, but given that I know who gets banned and why, I can assure you that field is level. A smart poster, regardless of criticism to moderation policy, will still post within established rules and not post dumb shit because "such and such got away with it". Which, I feel, is what happens all too often.

In the case of radioheadrule83, he was banned for the obvious reasons: he entered a Sony specific thread about a Sony specific game, where Sony fans were posting, and replied with a post with a majority composition of "I hate Sony and I hope they keep failing PS lots of shit Sony fans that post on NeoGAF are the reason I hate Sony. Oh, but this game will be good for Sony fans".

It contributes nothing to discussion, has little to do with the topic at hand, and is definitively console warring nonsense dribble. EatChildren's thumb rule for posting: if the primary agenda and bulk of your post is to reiterate how much you hate a company and/or their fanbase, in a topic that in no way way evokes such discussion, then don't post.

Regardless, radioheadrule83 will be back soon.

Yeah I fully understand. I have no issues that it happened to him. I just think that posts here that do nothing but criticize the posters in the thread are just as bad, if not worse, but it seems like they always choose the most convenient times to do so and not get caught. :/

Anyway, thanks for the explanation and not getting mad.
Assuming that post isn't being held against me. lol Though I also understand if it is.

Back on topic... Wait, how is the current discussion on topic? o_O;

I think the rumours (there were rumours, weren't there? Speculation maybe?) that TimeSplitters 4 was being developed for the Wii U were always completely bogus. What I figure has happened, as I posted in that thread, is Crytek shopped around the idea of a new TimeSplitters. They own the IP, and we know Free Radical made some assets prior to the buy out. It makes sense, and is economical, to throw some of those assets into CryEngine 3, make them presentable, and use it as both a tech demo for their engine and also a means to gauge publisher interest in a new game. Unfortunately I doubt any publisher gave a shit. Thus we get reports of people claiming to have seen TimeSplitters 4, when in reality no actual TimeSplitters 4 is in development.

Crytek UK are busy with Homefront 2, which is guaranteed for the Wii U. They have kits, and THQ is banking on huge Wii U support, cashing in on the new console hype to hopefully dig themselves out of their financial gutter. I wouldn't be surprised to see a teaser or quick demo of Homefront 2 shown at Nintendo's E3 presser, and I expect it to look like a shitty Call of Duty clone.

The rumour was that a website claimed to have seen footage in the last month of the game. There was no Wii U mentioned in the rumour.

It is not incredibly likely, but we TS fans will take anything. We're desperate.

sphagnum

Banned
23, my first game console that I had for myself (my very first was my mom's Magnavox Odyssey 2) was a SNES. We were at Best Buy and my dad gave me the choice of getting a SNES or a Sega Saturn. His friend was with us and prodded me to get the SNES because it had A Link to the Past.

What a great man that guy was.

I'm probably late (AS ALWAYS), but I haven't seen anything in these last pages.

From the banned Nintendo site
Project CARS - Wii U-specific details

- TV screen as primary vie
- transfer play of the game between the TV and controller
- screen as secondary view, switch between rear-view mirror, overhead map, telemetry
- primary input method, drive by tilting the controller, onscreen buttons replicate the buttons/switches on a real wheel
- Secondary input method, manage decisions in the pits (swiping through tire choices, setting fuel amount)
- Camera: Personalize your profile, pose for the podium
- Menu navigation method: Flick photos from your gallery to the TV, private chat with teammates

Source is this PDF: http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

They should've just stuck with the original devs if they wanted that. I was actually really excited about Homefront, but it was just a mess. You can't make a set piece heavy game if you don't know how to put together memorable set pieces. I'm still amazed that it had a budget of 35-50m. I don't know what it was used for.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Dammit.. I'm gonna need a new set of shelves, aren't I?

Hmm..
.. yes!
{*snaps fingers*}

Idea Time!
Maybe one of those antique cabinets with the etched glass doors and old carved woodwork that little old ladies display their crystals and antiques in - but with my figurines in it instead?

Quick, an efficient photoshoper to edit this picture and add 250 figurines on the shelves :p

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
So is Project CARS actually going to release on Wii U or is it going to get hyped up, released on PC, then everyone forgets about it and it becomes vaporware?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Just out of curiosity, how old is everyone in here. I'm 29 and a big Nintendo Fan (Nintendo + PC for the future, though I have owned all brands of console) and I'm just curious about what the breakdown is in here. I think it's funny that the stereotype is that people who like Nintendo are young but I suspect this thread skews older. I know it's likely a selection effect of the higher level tech talk and the board itself, but age demographics are always interesting.
Twenty-one

gaming_noob

I'm about to turn 28 myself. Grew up with NES... honestly not as excited about Wii U but I don't know why I have to feel the need to defend Nintendo when someone makes fun of them. Maybe it's the fact that they gave me awesome childhood years.

The Rayman teaser really put the Wii U on the radar for me, though.

Oh, and I'm 103 years old.

Okay, since there's a bunch more completely trustworthy data now in this thread, I felt compelled to conjure up a refreshed version:

WUST-age_120428b.png

Note: For people who say "turning XX in month Y", I'm using that number if it's actually coming up really soon but the current age if it's towards the end of the year. I don't think this'll make the curve any less chaotic than it currently is.

Tookay

23, started with the SNES and Super Mario World.

I think EatChildren's analogy about Nintendo is probably the most fitting way to describe it. They are in equal measures brilliantly ahead of the their time and disappointingly late to the party. But once you have some of that Nintendo drug, it's kinda hard to pull away from it completely.

BurntPork

Banned

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The rumour was that a website claimed to have seen footage in the last month of the game. There was no Wii U mentioned in the rumour.

It is not incredibly likely, but we TS fans will take anything. We're desperate.

I'd pay good money for a new TimeSplitters, and it's an IP I think fits wonderfully with Nintendo's offerings. My magical ideal alternate universe is where Nintendo bought Free Radical and used them as their Western action/shooter powerhouse, making games in styles like TimeSplitters and Second Sight, both of which blend fun, action focused game design with Western philosophies, yet never take themselves too seriously. It fills a gap Nintendo has needed to fill for two generations now.

I still think it was just an engine tech demo. CryEngine 3 tech has so far been demonstrated in realistic environments. Crytek may have felt that demoing TimeSplitters 4 art assets shows engine flexibility in different styles.

But now I'm just making assumptions out of nothing. Who knows. The two most 'credible' rumours regarding TimeSplitters 4 both involved the Xbox though. I believe the first was TimeSplitters 4 being shown for the next generation Xbox.

Nilaul

The thing scan-able trophies... holly shit smash bros will be brutal on your wallet. Collecting every trophy in real life and not in game.

BurntPork

Banned
I'd pay good money for a new TimeSplitters, and it's an IP I think fits wonderfully with Nintendo's offerings. My magical ideal alternate universe is where Nintendo bought Free Radical and used them as their Western action/shooter powerhouse, making games in styles like TimeSplitters and Second Sight, both of which blend fun, action focused game design with Western philosophies, yet never take themselves too seriously. It fills a gap Nintendo has needed to fill for two generations now.

I still think it was just an engine tech demo. CryEngine 3 tech has so far been demonstrated in realistic environments. Crytek may have felt that demoing TimeSplitters 4 art assets shows engine flexibility in different styles.

But now I'm just making assumptions out of nothing. Who knows. The two most 'credible' rumours regarding TimeSplitters 4 both involved the Xbox though. I believe the first was TimeSplitters 4 being shown for the next generation Xbox.

After the way that Crysis 3 was denied, I honestly think that Crytek has no interest in Wii U at all and that we'll never see another game from them besides Homefront 2. That guy clearly was either pissed off about something Nintendo did or just doesn't take them seriously as a company.

It's weird, though. Why act that way to a company whose platform you want to sell your engine on? It really makes no sense to me.

Downloaded the PDF. It's from the official WMD. It's legit.

Okay then.

This has been an interesting 24 hours.

Well, they did go through with two first person shooting games. One was not "proper" enough for folks into the preexisting genre (and it starred a girl, ewww!), and the other… was Geist. So they did have the gap filled; they just did it very poorly for the target audience. (edit: I mean for last gen; they obviously skipped it for this gen, unless you count the timed exclusive goldeneye CoD clone)

So is Project CARS actually going to release on Wii U or is it going to get hyped up, released on PC, then everyone forgets about it and it becomes vaporware?

One way or another, we're probably going to get a sexy non-futuristic, non-kart racing game. It'll likely be either this or that "Custom Grand Prix" that hit the rumour mill a few weeks ago, I suspect.

Azure J

22 here and:

this post

Pretty much says everything about myself and then some, except I began on the NES (no Ataris here), there needs to be notes about Sega (loved me some Sega even if I mostly found out how great their stuff was right at the end), I own a GBC, and while I don't necessarily think Nintendo is coddling people with their current game design focus, I do feel like they need to do things to combat the preconception of doing as much.

EatChildren

The thing scan-able trophies... holly shit smash bros will be brutal on your wallet. Collecting every trophy in real life and not in game.

This is the kind of gimmicky stuff I hope doesn't happen. It's a gimmick that will grow old faster than you'll drain your bank account, and serves no purpose other than to exploit a invulnerable audience for money without enhancing your product. I'm cool with scanning shit on my Wii U pad, but if I have to buy extra stuff I want it to be really, really significant. Something that really enhances or changes the way the game is played, and certainly without does not detract from the core experience.

I prefer more forward thinking gimmicks. Like, say, viewing Smash 3DS trophies in AR 3D via a single card. Not collecting a billion fucking cards Nintendo.

After the way that Crysis 3 was denied, I honestly think that Crytek has no interest in Wii U at all and that we'll never see another game from them besides Homefront 2. That guy clearly was either pissed off about something Nintendo did or just doesn't take them seriously as a company.

It's weird, though. Why act that way to a company whose platform you want to sell your engine on? It really makes no sense to me.

Look beyond Crytek and to EA instead. EA is Crytek's budget and publishing deal for Crysis 3. Regardless of Crytek's intentions, if EA said "we don't have interest in publishing Crysis 3 for the Wii U", then they wouldn't bother, as EA owns the IP. Homefront though? That's THQ. THQ are all over the Wii U. Low and behold, Crytek's THQ game is on the Wii U.

Well, they did go through with two first person shooting games. One was not "proper" enough for folks into the preexisting genre (and it starred a girl, ewww!), and the other… was Geist. So they did have the gap filled; they just did it very poorly for the target audience. (edit: I mean for last gen; they obviously skipped it for this gen, unless you count the timed exclusive goldeneye CoD clone).

I don't consider Prime (if that's what your referring to) as a first person shooter regardless of the perspective. It was never going to appeal to that market. Geist was a mess. Great idea, bad execution. I'd love a sequel to Geist under better design and production though. So yeah, as you said, they filled it poorly. They need their 'Goldeneye' or 'Perfect Dark', and preferably from a franchise they own. That's why I like TimeSplitters. It's not a Call of Duty or Halo clone, but its own thing.

and yes Nintendo is an abusive relationship

but for some reason I have no love for Sony IPs I find them interesting to watch but I don't want to spend the money to play them - every generation I try and home Sony would win me over but unless someone sends me a free Vita its looks like I'll be waiting another 5 years

they are just not the kinds of games I enjoy playing, I've been trying to break out a bit this year by playing GTAs on my mac from Steam and also playing the Witcher 1 with lots of mods so far enjoying all of that and I know I missed a lot of classics that never made it to a Nintendo console

still it is hard not to want the best of both worlds without spending a ton of money on multi consoles to get the gems you want to play... I just cannot give up Nintendo Software just yet

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
After the Rayman news, is it safe to say that Ideaman should not be doubted anymore?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37308082&postcount=12976

Yeah ! :p

It was already discussed here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469930&page=277

And in this message http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37340425&postcount=13845

And i must say that i even hinted about this game a few WEEKS before on the speculation thread 3 i think, it was overlooked, as some other hints that should be more clear/revealed, except if there are changes of plan from Nintendo, at E3

Bumhead

Banned

I had that exact same thought recently. I'm playing Timesplitters 2 on Gamecube at the moment and it very much feels like a Nintendo-style franchise to me. I don't even know what that means in any quantifiable way, but, it just does. I think Timesplitters would fit right in with Nintendo's stable of IP, and a Free Radical and Nintendo partnership on a new Timesplitters game sounds like it would be an excellent fit to me.

Shame it probably won't happen. As a huge Timesplitters fan, there's just something about a Crytek developed Xbox exclusive Timesplitters that terrifies me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, few things to say since I just came back from work.

1. Nintendo must be pissed as hell at Ubisoft right now because of the Wii U controller misunderstanding.
2. Someone at Ubisoft must be pissed as hell at someone if that trailer was never meant for the public.
3. We lost people today, hope they are back by E3.
4. Guess Ace Bandage will have to shut up about Time Splitter 4 on Wii U, now.
Sorry, Ace.

Shurayuki

This is the kind of gimmicky stuff I hope doesn't happen. It's a gimmick that will grow old faster than you'll drain your bank account, and serves no purpose other than to exploit a invulnerable audience for money without enhancing your product. I'm cool with scanning shit on my Wii U pad, but if I have to buy extra stuff I want it to be really, really significant. Something that really enhances or changes the way the game is played, and certainly without does not detract from the core experience.

I prefer more forward thinking gimmicks. Like, say, viewing Smash 3DS trophies in AR 3D via a single card. Not collecting a billion fucking cards Nintendo.

Is that a dig at Kid Icarus? ;P I think the worst scenario we're going to look at will be similar, where you can just go to a webpage and scan most stuff in bulk. That Pokedex app works like that too. Limiting things to RL figurines would be very sad.
Club Nintendo rewards could get very very interesting though, with chips in all those goodies.

Kjellson

1. Nintendo must be pissed as hell at Ubisoft right now because of the Wii U controller misunderstanding.
2. Someone at Ubisoft must be pissed as hell at someone if that trailer was never meant for the public.

Sorry, Ace.
A lot of piss today.

On the discussion of Sony/Nintendo and the jokes about how sony has nothing worth "loving"

My love for Sony is different than my Love for Nintendo. I love Nintendo's iconic series and characters, but some of my most memorable gaming experiences (not based on nostalgia, since nintendo dominates nostalgia for EVERYONE), is stuff like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and Suikoden 1/2/3 and FFT and FF7, MGS, and more and lots more. Tons of my favourite games of ALL time were exclusively for Sony consoles (mostly). So it's a bit different when I compare the 2. I have lots of fond memories of playstation. But of course Nintendo wins as well, just a different kind of feeling for me.

Sorry, Ace.

Says you!

TS4 will be their big E3 surprise! You'll all see!
D:

Is PCars sporting the WiiU logo now?

Sorry, Ace.

I really doubt Ubisoft fired anyone or Nintendo is angry at all... this is nothing

Shurayuki

I really doubt Ubisoft fired anyone or Nintendo is angry at all... this is nothing

Well they didn't go into total lockdown for nothing, they're probably pissed.
BUT, who didn't see Ubisoft leaking something coming, didn't we even have "bets" who would leak something first and Ubi was a thing, it's what they do.

Deguello

My problem with characterizing fandom as an abusive relationship is that it's a rather generic description. Every company is going to let down some of its fans at some point, and I suppose with Nintendo, here, in this thread, each disappointment is magnified due to childhood memories.

I imagine Sony fans are getting pretty tired of Sony's format shenanigans like their Vita memory sticks being unnecessarily too expensive. And their handling of Backwards Compatibility, a concept of which they were one of the pioneers, beggars belief.

I don't follow Microsoft much, but I think their core fanbase is rather unappreciative of anything Kinect has to offer, especially when some of those titles would be labeled as "kiddy" and "casual" as anything Nintendo would have made, and possibly more.

Well they didn't go into total lockdown for nothing, they're probably pissed.
BUT, who didn't see Ubisoft leaking something coming, didn't we even have "bets" who would leak something first and Ubi was a thing, it's what they do.

I could swear Ubisoft planned this I mean come on ideaman knew about the whole thing before the leak

I bet if someone tracked it back to a source they would find it was a leak...
also kinda fishy that it came out the day Sony Smash came out :|

why would Nintendo care about this nothing big was shown and the game is not exclusive to WiiU

I hate doing this, but I am exhausted from an info session I had for 6 hours, can someone please recap what has happened here since 9am?

I'll love you forever <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom