• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

I'd want them to keep style switching but give you more weapons to select from (I would've loved to see Cerberus/A&R/Nevan/Artemis/Stinger made available as DLC in DMC4) *and* give players the ability to equip fewer than three weapons if they choose (in order to feel more focused).

I think the vast amount of equipment on Dante in DMC4 was a much bigger part of the learning curve than the ability to switch between styles, personally. I would've actually found it handy to be able to focus on a simple setup of 2 Devil Arms and 2 guns, get used to them, and then work my way up to 3x3 equipment.

Also, it'd be nice to have a way to bring back Doppelganger and Quicksilver and so on.

Dahbomb

I kind of want a prequel where we PLAY as Sparda. That would be cool.
No modern game company could do the Sparda legend justice.

A) Have a style selection a la DMC3 with a more varied and balanced moveset

or

B) Have a Dante be a overpowered madhouse a la DMC4 with every style with a little less varied moveset but has access to all moves at all times
I have a better idea or Option C.

For Dante you get to choose how many weapons you want at one time, maximum of 6 weapons but you can also choose to either have 3 Devil arms and one Firearm or 2 Devil Arms and 2 Firearms. 3 Devil arm system would work like Vergil's where the other button would swap in reverse direction. You can also choose DMC4's 6 weapon set up if you wish to. Using less weapon set up will allow you to build style more to make it balanced against the 6 weapon system (sort of like a ratio system).

The weapon pool however for each class is at least 10 bringing grand total of weapons to 20 so you can choose 6/4 from these. Styles are mapped to the D-pad and you can choose up to 4 styles (none of that Dark Slayer press a style button twice to get a 5th style... that gets way too messy). Number of styles is upped to 8. Max level of each style is 5.

This system allows you to have DMC4's vast number of options at once COMBINED with DMC3's customization aspect. One thing I felt that DMC3 still does amazingly well is that there is always that experimentation/customization element to it which had you coming back and trying out different set ups. It was sorely missed in DMC4 where you had everything you need.

Nero's system will also be revamped accordingly. D-Pad changes the Devil Arm (like Yamato that Nero has inside him). Changing the Devil Arm changes the Devil Trigger attacks as well as the O/Devil Bringer button as well as the special moves associated with it and the buffs that the firearms get. The unmapped button of R2 gets a new set up that can be swapped ala Bayonetta. Pressing R2 not only changes your current EX weapon but also your firearm so you get to have 4 weapons at once. The new EX weapon will have it's own timing based system that gives its own types of boosts (like an electrical weapon will get Amp charges collected and then discharge as EX moves). New firearm will also have charge moves in 3 different levels along with whatever extra move can be accommodated. You will have 6 Firearms and 6 EX Arms to choose from as well as 8 different Devil arms.

Apoc87

Banned
I kind of want a prequel where we PLAY as Sparda. That would be cool.

1255141816726-499x354.jpg

This was fake

Dahbomb

Sparda prequel would only be effective if it was before his "LDK" period. If it was after he beat Mundus then it's hardly different from a regular DMC game and thus pointless.

I want to see Sparda rise up in demon ranks, develop epic rivalries (Beowulf, Bolverk, Berial), get betrayed or fall from glory then rise back up for redemption/revengeance/rebellion to carve his name in history as the most powerful being in the universe.

gunbo13

I have a better idea or Option C. *snip*
I'm on board with this. Caters perfectly towards my combo needs. I want new styles though and changes in mechanics. Rip off form changes from Bayo, ex style system for Dante per style, parry system for reduced damage RG sub, improved environment interaction ala NG, etc... We could go on forever about a wishlist for mechanics though.

I'd also probably never stop playing a game that fits these criteria.

Issue is....
We're met young op Dante (dmc3), senior wussy Dante (dmc1), midwussy senior Dante (dmc2), op fullfilled Dante (dmc4).
What's left is an overaged Dante past his prime, with demonic power failings training a son with all too similar attitude for whom powers manifested late and has grown up being a target for demons in need of babysitting for an almost oppressive paternal father.
Then Dante gets killed during an extensive failure of demonic powers that left him human mid-fight against demons that gangrape him under the eyes of his demonic-powerless son that with his death awakens his demonic prowess and goes bazinga!
During the aftermath a aged uncle vergil comes to take tutelage and impart the nephew some demonic kickassness. And they search for the demon that sent all the stuff after father&son duo during the years just to discover it's Angels!
And it's Angels and demon mix up cliché with Dante'a mother being remoooootely part angel descent and sparda whole bloodline being thus an insult to Angels' purity concept.. More twist ensues, demonic being meddling in heaven cliché yadda yadda.
But i want dmc3 weapons (stashed away by dante and recovered by the son gradually) a few angelic like Weapon (say a scythe? Or el-shaddai ranged ray weapon), a demon form influenced graphically slightly by base Skill (not weapon skills, but the skills that affect the Guy in every style/weapon combo) giving him a few more angelic resemblance in case he has unlocked more angelic category stuff.
And based on the tendency an overdrive attack that can be' invoked during devil trigger when powers expire changes between an angelic version, demonic version and every Skill maxed.
That would be' glorious.... Maybe

Dahbomb

More necessary than mechanic additions is the addition of more trainer modes and customization in these modes to beef up encounters to godly levels. I people to customize enemy/boss encounters to insane difficult then upload the custom settings so that other people can try it.

I have a whole slew of wishlists and ideas for future DMC games. I have also made a combat system for Vergil if he ever fucking returns in a DMC game.

How the hell would EX system on styles work?

Issue is....
The story is getting a bit too much into fanfic territory.

The next DMC game would most definitely follow directly after DMC4 with Nero being part of the story as well. His story is still unresolved so until that is fixed/resolved, DMC can't go forward. And Nero's story can't really be resolved without Vergil's involvement.

I would also wait on what DmC comes up with pertaining to the whole Angel/Demon mythology.

And no that does not match ntheory new dmc, as nt combat so far was always way too limited and considering this genre, it's an unacceptable shortcoming too much

For Dante you get to choose how many weapons you want at one time, maximum of 6 weapons but you can also choose to either have 3 Devil arms and one Firearm or 2 Devil Arms and 2 Firearms. 3 Devil arm system would work like Vergil's where the other button would swap in reverse direction. You can also choose DMC4's 6 weapon set up if you wish to. Using less weapon set up will allow you to build style more to make it balanced against the 6 weapon system (sort of like a ratio system).

The weapon pool however for each class is at least 10 bringing grand total of weapons to 20 so you can choose 6/4 from these. Styles are mapped to the D-pad and you can choose up to 4 styles (none of that Dark Slayer press a style button twice to get a 5th style... that gets way too messy). Number of styles is upped to 8. Max level of each style is 5.

This system allows you to have DMC4's vast number of options at once COMBINED with DMC3's customization aspect. One thing I felt that DMC3 still does amazingly well is that there is always that experimentation/customization element to it which had you coming back and trying out different set ups. It was sorely missed in DMC4 where you had everything you need.

Nero's system will also be revamped accordingly. D-Pad changes the Devil Arm (like Yamato that Nero has inside him). Changing the Devil Arm changes the Devil Trigger attacks as well as the O/Devil Bringer button as well as the special moves associated with it and the buffs that the firearms get. The unmapped button of R2 gets a new set up that can be swapped ala Bayonetta. Pressing R2 not only changes your current EX weapon but also your firearm so you get to have 4 weapons at once. The new EX weapon will have it's own timing based system that gives its own types of boosts (like an electrical weapon will get Amp charges collected and then discharge as EX moves). New firearm will also have charge moves in 3 different levels along with whatever extra move can be accommodated. You will have 6 Firearms and 6 EX Arms to choose from as well as 8 different Devil arms.

Yep, sounds fucking awesome.
I'm on board with this. Caters perfectly towards my combo needs. I want new styles though and changes in mechanics. Rip off form changes from Bayo, ex style system for Dante per style, parry system for reduced damage RG sub, improved environment interaction ala NG, etc... We could go on forever about a wishlist for mechanics though.

I'd also probably never stop playing a game that fits these criteria.
The one other thing I'd love to see in this hypothetical 'DMC5' (apart from playable Dante/Nero/Vergil/Trish/Lady, and maybe a nonlinear mission-select system that'd have you taking on different jobs at the Devil Never Cry shop in exchange for cash/orbs/blue orb fragments/weapons/character unlocks/you get the idea) would be some sort of classic/arena mode that'd let you fight every enemy and boss fight from DMC1/3/4. You'd get basically infinite replay value.

Also wouldn't mind an accessory system like Bayonetta's got, to be honest, as long as it's just about tweaking the mechanics and not making you do more damage or take less damage or whatever.
Sparda prequel would only be effective if it was before his "LDK" period. If it was after he beat Mundus then it's hardly different from a regular DMC game and thus pointless.

I want to see Sparda rise up in demon ranks, develop epic rivalries (Beowulf, Bolverk, Berial), get betrayed or fall from glory then rise back up for redemption/revengeance/rebellion to carve his name in history as the most powerful being in the universe.
Not to fanwank too much, but I think it'd be kind of neat to have the game actually start off with the final victory against the forces of Heaven (angels never appear in DMC1-4, but there are enemies like the Fallen that hint that *some* sort of Heaven exists or once existed), rendering the human world unprotected and ripe for the taking, and then have Sparda have a change of heart not long after he's told to conquer the human world.

More necessary than mechanic additions is the addition of more trainer modes and customization in these modes to beef up encounters to godly levels. I people to customize enemy/boss encounters to insane difficult then upload the custom settings so that other people can try it.

Simultaneous fight against Vergil 3/Nelo Angelo 3/Angelo Credo plz.

gunbo13

Training mode is a must as well as custom setups. Would be great to have a replay with cameras system as well to create your own action movies. I still have a laundry list for mechanics though.
How the hell would EX system on styles work?
An ex system attached to an appropriate style. I don't want Dante to have a perma-ex system like Nero but something else. Maybe just timings on attacks builds a special meter or reloads DT. Or even a dark/light system with just timings where you can build multiple meters with different properties (swapping OTF). Almost like an RPG where based on your mana pools you can unload a whole different combination set. Imagine building full dark/light for an ultimate release. Or you fight holy enemies so you build your dark meter for damage boost. Maybe even something where holy will disarm and dark will poison. If you design the system properly, you have just made the enemies more dynamic with personality (which DMC has suffered in areas). You don't want to get too carried away breaking Dante's mold but it would be a great single player style.
Yep, sounds fucking awesome.
The one other thing I'd love to see in this hypothetical 'DMC5' (apart from playable Dante/Nero/Vergil/Trish/Lady, and maybe a nonlinear mission-select system that'd have you taking on different jobs at the Devil Never Cry shop in exchange for cash/orbs/blue orb fragments/weapons/character unlocks/you get the idea) would be some sort of classic/arena mode that'd let you fight every enemy and boss fight from DMC1/3/4. You'd get basically infinite replay value.
Yea, they should exploit Dante's current status. Just take the anime's setup and DO IT RIGHT. It would be so sick to play the DMC for hire game.
Also wouldn't mind an accessory system like Bayonetta's got, to be honest, as long as it's just about tweaking the mechanics and not making you do more damage or take less damage or whatever.
I wouldn't want this TBH. It will get too messy with DMC and kind of breaks the feel of Dante's relationship with his weapons. He just needs swords and guns is how I've always felt.

Dahbomb

Simultaneous fight against Vergil 3/Nelo Angelo 3/Angelo Credo plz.
YesJackNicholson.gif

But that would never happen because that involves remaking old bosses from old games.

Oh and if Nelo Angelo was ever remade his speed would match that of Credo/Vergil 3. DMC1 in general was slower paced but Dante is in fact at near his peak skill wise and the demons are actually supposed to be stronger/faster than they were in DMC3 where he was less strong.

I am down with open world, non linear DMC too as long as the game play is tight and mostly takes place in tight environments. And like I said, remade bosses would be a shit ton of work logistically. At most they can do a 2/3 remade bosses like the best from each game but not every boss. Personally I would be fine if they just remade the god 5 bosses.

DMC1 sort of tried to start the accessory thing but never really fleshed it out (Bangle of Time). This would be a good path to go down into.

An ex system attached to an appropriate style. I don't want Dante to have a perma-ex system like Nero but something else. Maybe just timings on attacks builds a special meter or reloads DT. Or even a dark/light system with just timings where you can build multiple meters with different properties (swapping OTF). Almost like an RPG where based on your mana pools you can unload a whole different combination set. Imagine building full dark/light for an ultimate release. Or you fight holy enemies so you build your dark meter for damage boost. Maybe even something where holy will disarm and dark will poison. If you design the system properly, you have just made the enemies more dynamic with personality (which DMC has suffered in areas). You don't want to get too carried away breaking Dante's mold but it would be a great single player style.
Oh ok now I know. This is in fact one of my ideas for the newer styles.

The Style button basically acts like a new Rev button for the devil arm equipped. There is no "charge" stance, you HAVE to just time the moves. Each Devil arm gets it's own element that you can charge but if you swap you would have to start from that weapon's stock. You still have the charges stored if you swap so you can basically build up charges among weapons and then unleash them all at once if you feel at once or one by one as you need. There would be orbs that shine just like with Royal Guard indicating you have a charge stored up for the particular weapon (stocks change color depending on weapon equipped).

I also have an idea for a Weapon Master style, where you just map an entire weapon on the O button as a style. Sort of like Dark Slayer style in DMC4 but fleshed out with more options to choose which weapon you want there (INCLUDING firearms if you want to). Allows for players who like to play with more weapons at once to have the option to do so.

Speaking about DMC3 ending, when Dante is in his office in the future, how come there are still destroyed school buses and broken buildings outside his shop. Like the buses aren't even in the same position as they were in mission 2. So did all the normal people jump ship and never return or is everyone cool with two huge buses destroyed in the middle of the street.

Also does anybody know what that billboard in the ending says. I never really paid attention to it before the HD collection and it kinda leaves an impression on me. It has a huge "2" on it. At first I thought it said Veiwtiful Joe 2, because of the font and color scheme, but it doesn't look like it is. Everytime I've beaten the game on the HD collection it's been bugging me.

Speaking about DMC3 ending, when Dante is in his office in the future, how come there are still destroyed school buses and broken buildings outside his shop. Like the buses aren't even in the same position as they were in mission 2. So did all the normal people jump ship and never return or is everyone cool with two huge buses destroyed in the middle of the street.

Also does anybody know what that billboard in the ending says. I never really paid attention to it before the HD collection and it kinda leaves an impression on me. It has a huge "2" on it. At first I thought it said Veiwtiful Joe 2, because of the font and color scheme, but it doesn't look like it is. Everytime I've beaten the game on the HD collection it's been bugging me.

I think that scene is immediately after the ending. Like, the next day. Put the sign up, cleaned up, and put on a different outfit. You can tell that Dante himself isn't like the older DMC1 Dante, so I guess you can explain it that way.

Anyway, I've hit that point where the time you have to play video games significantly drops. So it was nice to finish things with DMC HD, considering it was DMC1 that originally got me into playing games at more than a casual level. Best trilogy - 1 ever.

Nemesis_

Should I go for DMD mode with Vergil or Dante?

I'm thinking Vergil since he's so much more fun to use but I also think since the game is designed around Dante it might be a bit more rewarding. >_>

EDIT: The game just wiped ALL my Dante progress after I did a quick run through with Vergil. I have the costumes but I cannot play any missions (I have to start from the beginning) and all my styles have been reset as has all my weapons. What the fuck. I can't even boot missions as it just freezes up.

I'm beyond angry :(

I'm thinking Vergil since he's so much more fun to use but I also think since the game is designed around Dante it might be a bit more rewarding. >_>

EDIT: The game just wiped ALL my Dante progress after I did a quick run through with Vergil. I have the costumes but I cannot play any missions (I have to start from the beginning) and all my styles have been reset as has all my weapons. What the fuck. I can't even boot missions as it just freezes up.

That sucks. Does the old DMC3 unlock everything code work in the HD collection. That would be kind of a saving grace for you. Partially.

Dahbomb

Dante shedding a tear for Vergil at the end of DMC3. =(

...."but the rain has stopped".

Such a cool scene
Bro-Fist-lvl-99_o_116280.jpg

The game just wiped ALL my Dante progress after I did a quick run through with Vergil. I have the costumes but I cannot play any missions (I have to start from the beginning) and all my styles have been reset as has all my weapons. What the fuck. I can't even boot missions as it just freezes up.
LOL saved over Dante's progress with Vergil's. Don't you know you are supposed to put them on different files?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Shit, man... that sucks. You don't have any backups? Or cloud storage?

To answer your original question, Vergil's summon swords pretty much break the game, so I would say that going through DMD with Dante is a better choice.

I am down with open world, non linear DMC too as long as the game play is tight and mostly takes place in tight environments. And like I said, remade bosses would be a shit ton of work logistically. At most they can do a 2/3 remade bosses like the best from each game but not every boss. Personally I would be fine if they just remade the god 5 bosses.

Well, I think a mission-select based DMC might work better than an open-world approach. Don't get me wrong, fully open world would be kind of cool (think maybe a Dark Souls sort of approach to the world map) but might not be as good for bite-sized fun (or for switching between characters a lot).

I'd love to have multiple characters to unlock and tons and tons of missions (even if they'd reuse environments a lot) so there's *constantly* more stuff you can be adding to your roster of characters to make them more powerful and versatile. Do a quick 10-30 minute mission, maybe unlock a new weapon, go back to the shop and power yourself up, pick a new mission and play it with a different character, and so on.
To answer your original question, Vergil's summon swords pretty much breaks the game, so I would say that going through DMD with Dante is a better choice.
I disagree that they break the game. They're powerful and versatile, sure, but they also consume DT so I'd say they're pretty balanced. The whole point of Vergil is to feel like a cross between Trickster-lite (Dark Slayer style button), Swordmaster-lite (three pleasantly varied weapons), and Gunslinger-lite (the swords and all their buffering-heavy mechanics). I do agree with the post earlier in the thread that it's a little bit too bad that they didn't find a way to also give him his RG-block from the boss battles with him.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I disagree that they break the game. They're powerful and versatile, sure, but they also consume DT so I'd say they're pretty balanced. The whole point of Vergil is to feel like a cross between Trickster-lite (Dark Slayer style button), Swordmaster-lite (three pleasantly varied weapons), and Gunslinger-lite (the swords and all their buffering-heavy mechanics). I do agree with the post earlier in the thread that it's a little bit too bad that they didn't find a way to also give him his RG-block from the boss battles with him.

I was referring to summon swords, though, not spiral swords. Summon swords consume no DT and can be used while performing other melee attacks or evading. In fact, they give DT as they hit. It pretty much makes DT'd enemies on DMD a joke because they break enemy DT armor.

I was referring to summon swords, though, not spiral swords. Summon swords consume no DT and can be used while performing other melee attacks or evading. In fact, they give DT as they hit. It pretty much makes DT'd enemies on DMD a joke because they break enemy DT armor.

I don't really believe those break the game either. I know a lot of people have cheesed big portions of the game using Lunar Phase + Summon Sword spam, but I can't see it being *that* effective on DMD. You won't get good Style Ratings with that sort of technique, anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't really believe those break the game either. I know a lot of people have cheesed big portions of the game using Lunar Phase + Summon Sword spam, but I can't see it being *that* effective on DMD. You won't get good Style Ratings with that sort of technique, anyway.

I'm not saying it's the ideal way to go about DMD, but yes, it is effective. And you'll almost continuously build Style with Summon Swords. Maybe "gamebreaking" is a bit strong, but Summon Swords are the answer to pretty much everything in the game.

gunbo13

Vergil is powerful for his versatility. You can ss while performing his powerful combinations without penalty. You can kill a hell sloth in about ~6 seconds that way. His AR x1 ESC is probably the most powerful in the game along with KB (which Vergil also has with starfall). He has ridiculous rush-down with darkslayer and a lot of powerful close melee combinations. This includes his standard force edge combo and lunar phase ESC AR x1. Unlike Dante, he also has very manageable buffers with judgment cuts and storm/blister.

If you know how to use Vergil, it is his entire skill-set which can give him the label of being "over-powered." It also makes him extremely boring to use unless you nerf your play.

Nemesis_

What the fuck? 0_0

Hey guys, at work so I will read your opinions later, but yeah Dahbomb, it's a glitch and it looks like it might have been present in the original version too. Basically the game THINKS I'm Vergil so it erases all of Dante's progress, and whenever I start as Dante I cannot start a mission as the game gets cconfused and freezes.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930014-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition/59375190

^ Someone posted it in more detail.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This thread is pretty huge, so it's a bit hard to find the info so I'll just ask: Is the DMC collection a good port, ala The Sly Collection, or is it janky and half assed like the Splinter Cell Collection?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hey guys, at work so I will read your opinions later, but yeah Dahbomb, it's a glitch and it looks like it might have been present in the original version too. Basically the game THINKS I'm Vergil so it erases all of Dante's progress, and whenever I start as Dante I cannot start a mission as the game gets cconfused and freezes.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930014-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition/59375190

^ Someone posted it in more detail.

Yeah, you need to start a new Dante file to fix it. You should still retain Dante's unlocked outfits, but the rest of the items, and Style levels are reset.

Aw, man. That sucks... So, how does it happen? It's just when you start a Vergil run right away after you complete the Dante game?

This thread is pretty huge, so it's a bit hard to find the info so I'll just ask: Is the DMC collection a good port, ala The Sly Collection, or is it janky and half assed like the Splinter Cell Collection?

I don't have either of those collections, but this one's really solid. No gameplay hiccups, and the graphics are gorgeous... cleaned up really well. A few issues involving some 4:3 cutscenes and menus, but otherwise a flawless transition to HD.

That both sounds like heaven and hell. way too complicated for the causal player, a dream for the hardcore.

If you play using a turbo controller, then yeah, his Summon Swords pretty much make DMD a piece of cake... You can just keep on pressing the fire button and watch your DT gauge fill up...
Plus his trick down is one of the most useful moves in the game... you evade a ground attack with huge invincibility frames and keep facing the enemy which then allows you to follow up with a stinger more quickly...

gunbo13

It is so easy to get sidetracked in DMC. DMD, LDK, boss-runs, no damage runs, rank runs, style runs, character runs, time runs, BP, styling... I always forget what I'm supposed to be doing.

News Bot

Banned
I honestly preferred the DMC anime to the games, though repeated viewing will probably sour that. DMC1 and DMC3 are amazing, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I honestly preferred the DMC anime to the games, though repeated viewing will probably sour that. DMC1 and DMC3 are amazing, though.

One of the reasons why people dislike the DMC anime is its cookie-cutter approach, and the fact that the characters have no personality. The first few episodes I watched made it seem like a very conventional anime with very average action scenes using the DMC name.

gunbo13

One of the reasons why people dislike the DMC anime is its cookie-cutter approach, and the fact that the characters have no personality. The first few episodes I watched made it seem like a very conventional anime with very average action scenes using the DMC name.
It has great music though, especially the intro. The soundtrack also has a great acoustic version of it. So odd that the music is so great and the anime is such shit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It has great music though, especially the intro. The soundtrack also has a great acoustic version of it. So odd that the music is so great and the anime is such shit.

I've gotta be honest. I don't even remember the music. I was psyched to watch it, and my interest waned with each episode that I viewed. Had a lot of potential though.

The anime is worse then DMC2. Yea, I went there.

You know, I never thought about it but I would....well...okay..maybe not DMC2 bad but still pretty shameful. So much wasted potential. At least the animation looked nice and Dante was in his DMC1 outfit but other than that yea. Garbage.

I finally started it a couple days ago (school finally stopped throwing so many assignments at me).

Secret mission 3 was a bitch. I think I abused Nevan the first time around but this time I tried doing it without air raid. Took me so long; I am not good at jumping off of enemies.

Nemesis_

Tried to beat Vergil 3 on very hard legit (no healing items). Ended up with a headache and scrambling on youtube to find suggestions

Dante or Vergil? Really you just need to discern which moments are the safe ones to attack, and which attack chains maximise damage (some of them make Vergil put up his guard/counter earlier than others)

I actually feel he's easier once he gets angry too, he leaves himself open to attack MUCH more often and once you've got the patterns of the helm breakers down (and the correct jump timing for the Judgment Cuts) then you can easily avoid him.

The worst with that battle is the DT constantly heals him :(

Top Bottom