• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2008 sequel :( ?!

prince-of-persia-20081007031557381_640w.jpg

prince-of-persia-20081126005301995_640w.jpg

prince-of-persia-20081126005306136_640w.jpg

prince-of-persia-20081126005253698_640w.jpg

prince-of-persia-20080820052055753_640w.jpg

prince-of-persia-20080711042957294_640w.jpg

One of THE MOST beautiful games in this generation... breathtaking art direction and atmosphere, well done platforming, really good lead characters with extremely enjoyable chemistry between the two, beautiful ost and one son of a b**ch cliffhanger ending ( and one of the most powerful ones too! ).

Of course the game had it's flaws.. but no one can deny that the game was really unique.

The game was well received by most critics, and Ubisoft announced that the game sold over 2M copies worldwide.... yet we got another Prince of Persia game almost two years later that is linked to the last generation's trilogy because they wanted to get some extra hype from the movie.

Almost 4 years later the fans of the 2008 game are STILL waiting for the sequel and nothing is appearing in the horizon ;_;

This really makes me very sad... because I really got hooked to the 2008 game and finished it 3 times and got the Platinum trophy in it and still from time to time I go back to it just wondering that beautiful world admiring it.

I don't see how they are going to make time for this anymore with ACIII eating all the hype this holiday's season and next generation knocking the doors on the next one.

This is just heartbreaking..

Who else is dying for the sequel?

prince-of-persia-20080523032040730_640w.jpg

Lijik

The wii version of Forgotten Sands started out as a PoP2008 sequel. Its pretty fun, though obviously not in the same universe.

I really hope theres a proper sequel one day

impact

Banned
It should happen but Ubi is busy shoving AC down our throats every year. A good PoP 08 sequel has GOTY potential

def sim

Great art direction but it's definitely a game for babies. If they revisit this world with a game worth playing, I'll be there day one.

I would really like a game with the same style and better execution, the game was decent but compared to the best games of the saga was a downgrade.

And please no "real ending" DLC bullshit next time.

Misterhbk

I'm right there with you on this one my friend. I adored this game when it came out. Mostly because I the gorgeous art style, but the game was really fun to play as well. I fully expected a sequel to have been released by now but I've since given up hope that we'll ever get one.

That damned cliff hanger.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd like a sequel only if it's an actual game and not an interactive art museum. Put some damn challenge in there, even if it's current gen challenge. Anything would be better than what it was in PoP 08.

alf717

I was really getting into this game and then my hard drive crashed and I lost my save file. I haven't been able to get myself to pick it up again since.

wwm0nkey

Just add in the option to actually die and then I will buy it. Loved PoP 2008 but not being able to die kind of killed it for me

TripOpt55

I'd love one. They'd need to fix a few things, but there is a lot of potential in a sequel to this game. Also wish PoP didn't go away in favor of AC. Would have been sweet if they both came out every two years alternating.

def sim

So is Mario 3D Land and it's still a great game.

The exploration was too guided, there was no sense of adventure. You look at something, you press a button and you're there. It felt more restrictive than even the Assassin's Creed parkour system. Platforming in this game is nearly non-existent when so little control is given to the player.

I love Elika, you just don't get many female video game characters as good. A bit sexy but not overdone and strong.

If they calmed down the QTEs, added more variety in the monsters and gave the sequel a harder difficulty that differentiates the grounds then I'll be in.

The game wouldn't feel that easy if it wasn't beacuse you were saved each time you failed a jump. The plataforming by itself had enough challenge, it the fact you were "inmortal" that sucked though. (oh yeah, battles were piss easy, but they were so few of them)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I loved PoP 2008, I really didn't care about the no-death concept. It was beautiful to look at and relaxing to play.

Ryuuga

Banned
Traversal and combat became a rather repetitive game of simon says. It's a shame there isn't a known sequel to improve upon things but if it turned out to be anything like the original I won't shed a tear.

I enjoyed the game enough to beat it, but it was certainly repetitive and at times basically just one long QTE. A sequel could have been amazing though, like an AC1 to 2 jump.

StuBurns

Banned
There sure was in the DLC. It picked up moments after the game ended and the final cutscene was basically "hey there's going to be a sequel".
That's true, but the core game's ending isn't a cliff hanger, the story just has a cyclical structure, as lots of media has.

Joni

This game needs a sequel. A lot more personality than any of the actual Sands of Time sequels and one of the fun games of the generation.

Carl

I loved this game. Didn't really care about the no deaths. Infact, i quite liked it. Deaths in these games only annoy me a lot of the time "What the fuck, i have to go ALL THE WAY BACK THERE? FUCK YOU!" Also, the "get saved my Elika less than 20 times" made for good fun.

Would love a sequel to this.

Gorgeous, gorgeous game, with great presentation and a really fun open-world structure to it. I hope they make a sequel with worthwhile platforming and combat gameplay, because it would've been one of my games of the generation had those not been so phoned-in.

- J - D -

The sequel would need a huge overhaul. The original was about as shallow as it could get, in terms of gameplay. It looked nice though.

Frankly, I could wait til next-gen for a sequel to PoP08.

Huh, I've never actually seen that piece of artwork in the op. Elika looks like Maria Menounos in that (she doesn't in the game).

Repetitive environments and a progression system that forces you to play through the same areas again, and again, and again. Simplistic gameplay and a total lack of challenge.

Sure was pretty though.

Probably one of the most evocative and well executed endings. Having the Prince walk towards the camera with the credits going was so well done, and really worked for me.

Really wish the rest of the game had that kind of guts and flow.

AlexBasch

Not me, that DLC bullshit was enough for me to ignore the whole franchise from that moment.

Well, except for Sands of Time, it was decent.

Massa

I loved this game. Didn't really care about the no deaths. Infact, i quite liked it. Deaths in these games only annoy me a lot of the time "What the fuck, i have to go ALL THE WAY BACK THERE? FUCK YOU!" Also, the "get saved my Elika less than 20 times" made for good fun.

Would love a sequel to this.

I didn't mind the death mechanic either, I thought it was great actually. The problem is you don't feel in control over your character when the window for correctly timing a jump is over 2 seconds long.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I didn't mind the death mechanic either, I thought it was great actually. The problem is you don't feel in control over your character when the window for correctly timing a jump is over 2 seconds long.

Yeah, I don't think the problem was the lack of dying, per se, it was the lack of challenge and poor feedback. I think I probably died about three times over the course of SoT but the whole thing was just so much better.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Loved it, wanted a squeal, seriously doubt we'll get one. Expect about 500 new Assassins Creed titles before anything PoP.

They'll probably just reboot it when AC inevitably wears out its welcome it a couple of years.

hatchx

Banned
Complaining that this game is too easy is like complaining Flower or Journey or Kirby Epic Yarn is too easy. Dying just was not built into the game's design.

I enjoyed this PoP, and it's disappointing to see where it went afterwards. This thread will be all about the no death argument, but the games real flaws were it's lack of variety, repetitive game design, and the smoke-and-mirrors effect of the draw distance. Those beautiful vistas are mostly unreachable. The screenshots make it look like a big beautiful world, but it's really just sky platform to sky platform with unreachable, backdrops. Leaves a lot to be desired.

Carl

Wow, i didn't realise there was that much leeway to be perfectly honest.

cluto

I love this game and bought it again on PC just so I could take awesome high res panoramic screenshots of the environments, but there's no debug cam or anything similar. Really disappointing.

TripOpt55

Yeah they needed to lessen the window for inputs during platforming. More traps and maybe less checkpoints could be included to add to the difficulty as well. If they could add in some parts that were more puzzle-oriented like SoT platforming that might be good too.

jimi_dini

I loved this game. Didn't really care about the no deaths. Infact, i quite liked it. Deaths in these games only annoy me a lot of the time "What the fuck, i have to go ALL THE WAY BACK THERE? FUCK YOU!"

Actually you were sent back somewhere.

Also, the "get saved my Elika less than 20 times" made for good fun.

Which was/is broken on PS3 and doesn't work. You get the trophy anyway.

I loved the first game, it's art style made it one of my favorite game "universes".

If there ever was a sequel I would like to see an AC to AC2 style jump in depth; that combat did get old towards the end.

def sim

Yeah, people need to realize the death mechanic in this game is basically a checkpoint system. It wasn't a problem; the actual game was.

jett

D-Member
This game is better left forgotten. Not even that good looking, every "area" had the same square, grid-like design, it was pretty boring to move through the environments. It was quite a chore to play honestly, there's just nothing to do in the game world. Whoever designed this really messed up.

Myriadis

Just add in the option to actually die and then I will buy it. Loved PoP 2008 but not being able to die kind of killed it for me

You missed that jump and fell to your death. Game over screen appears, "do you want to continue or quit?". Press continue, see loading screen and start near the point where you missed that jump. Is that really what you want? Especially since the chances are really high to make a wrong jump or get nearly defeated in this game? Definitely not.
You don't complain about Mirrors Edge also just putting you just some meters back whenever you get killed or missed the jump.

I'd also love a sequel to this game, which also fixes the flaws the games has. It is the best PoP, that's for sure, but they should redo the battle system - even making it like Zelda would be an improvement. Also, it would've been better for the level design if you got your powers in a "fixed" way instead of letting you choose which powers to get first.

The exploration was too guided, there was no sense of adventure.
At least it was much better than Sands of Time, which was completely linear.

Top Bottom