• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Characters with the best/most effective Super will be at a distinct advantage.

This is my only fear with the super system. But I guess this game has the advantage over smash bros that it can be patched if it turns out to be unbalanced. Can't wait to try it out for myself to see how it plays.

Ploid 3.0

I'm betting it will be harder for them to build to their best super level. Like parappa you'd just have to keep a distance from him, and he can't do much at range. If he try to load up meter from his boom box sly or a ranged character could just light him up.

People will have Parappa's number after figuring him out. Short arms

lupinko

I'm betting it will be harder for them to build to their best super level. Like parappa you'd just have to keep a distance from him, and he can't do much at range. If he try to load up meter from his boom box sly or a ranged character could just light him up.

People will have Parappa's number after figuring him out. Short arms

What about his legs? :O

Could be Sony's Marth and Roy equivalent!
572645_11082_front.jpg

Since Sony owns the IP , Could be Sony's version of Link
163alundra003pluws.jpg

Also put him in it since hes cool!
waacf-rudy2.jpg

While I haven't played any of these games (I know..) I do love RPGs and I would love giving them a chance. They're all pretty varied and I want to check the games out now after reading your posts about them! Hopefully Superbot includes at least a few sword wielding / and or RPG characters.

Also, the shots of Superbot's office had arcade joysticks all over the place so they definitely are considering that, figuring most of their team are veteran fighter devs. or players gone dev.

Ploid 3.0

What about his legs? :O

All of his combos are very short ranged. The guy giving a interview mentioned his short arms as being a reason, but I'm betting it's to balance him. Don't let Parappa get too close to you, he'll jack you up.

Fuck Solid

Old Snake with Octocam or death

MGS4 was the last MGS PS exclusive

Oh man, snake being stealth like Sly and all of his tools (stealth tools, claymores, and other stuff) would really mix things up. Yeah give snake the invisible when he blocks like sly. Then the little Metal Gear MK.II with Hal talking.

Endo Punk

It would be such a trip to see old school blocky PS1 character models as costumes for every character. And if that's too demanding which it really shouldn't be I would like a PS1 graphics stage atleast. Something really endearing about the graphics of PS1 games.

So being in the GW2 beta took away alot of my time, making me lag behind in news for this game. Does anyone know if there's been any mention of the game being developed with a control scheme that keeps arcade sticks in mind?

I doubt it, does anyone play Smash on an arcade stick? I mean i'm sure you could unless some characters require sixaxis shakes.

Peace Walker.

not exclusive, its on the 360.
edit: beaten! But i'm guessing they will put Raiden in it. Clear separation from Smash and he would have a unique moveset, not just another character with guns.

I hope they go all out with collectables and easter eggs. Part of the fun of smash bros is collecting the trophies and stickers and reading up on all of the history.

They should have shown more iconic character's in the initial announcement. No one's really seeing Radec and going "MUST BUY!" He's a great character, but only in one game for a handful of scenes and a boss fight.

Drencrom

I hope they go all out with collectables and easter eggs. Part of the fun of smash bros is collecting the trophies and stickers and reading up on all of the history.

Yes, really hope they have some kind of museum in the game. Loved reading about items and chars in SSB.

They should have shown more iconic character's in the initial announcement. No one's really seeing Radec and going "MUST BUY!" He's a great character, but only in one game for a handful of scenes and a boss fight.
Though Radec was only in a handful of scenes and one boss fight, when I was playing through Killzone 2 I always saw Radec as the mastermind behind the brutal battle tactics of the Helghasts. Sort of one of those characters where he's not necessarily on stage but you still feel his presence; I did at least. And going into Radec's academy in the singleplayer was really iconic moment. Radec is also the voice talking to you throughout the multiplayer when you play as the Helghasts. I know a few people who are really excited he's included.

But I do agree that he's not going to make anyone think "MUST BUY!" Even the people I know who are excited he's in don't think that. Could be that he's not really a character anyone has been dying to see in a fighter. But that's why they use him for the reveal and not for the bigger announcements later on.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

But doesn't that depend on how good the player utilizing that character is? If that player isn't very effective at building up his/her super, then it doesn't matter how effective that super is.

It then becomes the job of the other player to build up a better defense against a skilled player.

I think a lot of people are coming at the combat from the standpoint of, "I plan on dominating whoever I'm playing against, and I get a thrill from just ruthlessly eating away at their health meter, and now that little joy is not going to be there anymore."

For me, I look at it as, "I need to be effective at getting attacks in as fast, hard, and quick as possible, so I can unleash my various supers and take them out, while still remaining defensive enough to keep them from doing the same."

It sounds like a lot of fun, honestly. When I'm fighting against you, I'm not just going to sit there and let you fill up your super. I will be fighting back tooth and nail.

Not to mention that hitting an opponent also drains their super, and vice versa, so there will be quite the tug of war, high intensity fights, especially between 2-4 players that are actually really good with their chosen characters.

Since we don't know all of the roster, and all of the supers, I think it's best to reserve judgment until we can see them in action. Thank you for your response, however. I just kept seeing people lamenting it, but not so much in the way of explaining why they felt this was such a negative change. It really just came off as "Eew, change is bad!"

It was a pretty good balance I thought. Everyone knows Kratos, PaRappa is fondly remembered by the old-school, and if a Sly game can enter the Top 10 Most Acquired Platinums list then Sly Cooper must have more recognition than he gets credit for. I'd imagine some of the big-gunners are probably being primed for E3: Drake, Jak, Ratchet and some third-party characters.

Then again, I think the whole roster is being revealed at E3, so scratch that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
But copying. No one wants to know about Playstation characters history....

What characters? What history? PlayStation has no game, remember?

Anyway, I think it should be a given that there will be some kind of museum. What would be really awesome, would be if it was presented like that Trophy room Sony had promised for PS HOME back in the day. A 3D room that you could move around, and see the trophies on display, and click on them and read up on their history. It would be even cooler if it included some video footage of each item/character, in their respective games. Might as well use that Blu Ray space for something!

EDIT: Hey, I didn't double post after all! HA!

I think the reveal was fine. I guess I may be a bigger PS fan than I thought, as I felt all 6 reveals were great, and it was awesome to see them together like that. They represented PS1/PS2, and PS3 with that reveal. I just hope they don't forget the PSP, and have some cool arenas/characters from some of the best PSP titles, like Jeanne D'Arc. She'd be a great playable fighter.

KingK

Now, how much do you want to bet that Sony is going to include God of War: Ascension multiplayer beta access with PBR? That's ONE way to drive sales. lol.

Not gonna happen. This game is going to be rated like E10+ or maybe T, so they won't include a beta code to a game where you cut people in half and stab a cyclops's eye out in a game 8 year olds will be playing lol. I said in one of the God of War threads that I'm betting on GOW beta codes being included with The Last of Us this holiday.

Agreed. I love all the collectible shit in Smash Bros.

Not a fan of Smash Bros., and this kinda looks terrible (I like the Patapon background though), but the details sound promising and I doubt I'll pass up playing it regardless.

Though Radec was only in a handful of scenes and one boss fight, when I was playing through Killzone 2 I always saw Radec as the mastermind behind the brutal battle tactics of the Helghasts. Sort of one of those characters where he's not necessarily on stage but you still feel his presence; I did at least. And going into Radec's academy in the singleplayer was really iconic moment. Radec is also the voice talking to you throughout the multiplayer when you play as the Helghasts. I know a few people who are really excited he's included.

But I do agree that he's not going to make anyone think "MUST BUY!" Even the people I know who are excited he's in don't think that. Could be that he's not really a character anyone has been dying to see in a fighter. But that's why they use him for the reveal and not for the bigger announcements later on.
Very Well said. I had forgotten that he was the voice for multiplayer. I must have heard his voice a thousand times while playing it. Radec and Visari are both really great characters (Most of Killzone's villains are), so I hope they do more with him than just "I have a gun!" Maybe let us use his invisibility and teleportation abilities.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Battle Royale could help in making people rediscover some of those long dormant games/franchises.

Of course. That's why PaRappa is in there. Sony reminding everyone of one of their big early flops is like Kevin Costner telling everyone he was prominent in The Postman. I don't think he does that.

Captain Quark does everything Blasto tried to do anyway, and he's in a good game.

It was a pretty good balance I thought. Everyone knows Kratos, PaRappa is fondly remembered by the old-school, and if a Sly game can enter the Top 10 Most Acquired Platinums list then Sly Cooper must have more recognition than he gets credit for. I'd imagine some of the big-gunners are probably being primed for E3: Drake, Jak, Ratchet and some third-party characters.

Then again, I think the whole roster is being revealed at E3, so scratch that.

Sly is a big character for me. I loved those games, so I didn't have an issue with him. While I know people like Parappa, he seems like such a random character to show first as a sign of having old school characters.

I think them showing these characters paints the game out to be grasping at straws, when it might not necessarily be.

I personally can't wait for Drake and Cole to be announced. I'll be playing Cole all day erryday.

Also, final boss should be Nahman Jayden FBI, whose become one with ARI, allowing him to float around the level like a demigod, conjuring up weapons like the Green Lantern. The background of his level changes periodically from Mars, the bottom of the ocean, a forest, and the mountains, changing the terrain, forcing you to stay on your toes.

Of course. That's why PaRappa is in there. Sony reminding everyone of one of their big early flops is like Kevin Costner telling everyone he was prominent in The Postman. I don't think he does that.

Captain Quark does everything Blasto tried to do anyway, and he's in a good game.

What?

A question I've been having and am curious about:

Do you think Sora, as a third-party character, would be more likely to show up in this or Smash Bros, if at all? Because the Kingdom Hearts "main" franchise games have all been on Sony platforms (KH, KHII, KH: BbS) but there have been a lot of side games on the Nintendo handhelds. (CoM, 356/2, Re:Coded, the upcoming 3D)

I, personally, doubt he'll show up in either but he's a wildly popular 3rd party character, especially during the PS2 era.

Sorry, I should've made it clear, I was refering to Folklore in my post, not Blasto. Agreed, Sony wouldn't want to remind people of Blasto, but Folklore is worth salvaging, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. I think that game had enough merit to warrant a character inclusion in BR.

Grokbu

I doubt it, does anyone play Smash on an arcade stick? I mean i'm sure you could unless some characters require sixaxis shakes.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. But one of the reasons sticks aren't suitable for Smash is because it is built around the analog stick (tilts and stuff). This might work differently, and it might be a better fit as you can apparently use the d-pad.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. But one of the reasons sticks aren't suitable for Smash is because it is built around the analog stick (tilts and stuff). This might work differently, and it might be a better fit as you can apparently use the d-pad.

Sony's D-Pads are analog, too.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
He was being sarcastic.

I hope he didn't get banned for that.

I hope he didn't either! I'm read it as him being sarcastic.

Anyway, I'm really curious as to the collectibles and the other game modes. I'm sure they'll reveal more at E3.

I actually forgot it was next month. For some reason, I kept thinking E3 was in July. I'm really hoping they'll have this on demo, and I get to check it out. I can see there being a decent line, if anything for those that are curious about it.

Izick

I really don't care which Snake it is. I just think Snake needs to be in the game. He's the face of one of Sony's most prominent franchises. Sure, were all, or even most, MGS games exclusive? No, but those games always come out years in advance on the Sony platform of the time, and they're synonymous with the Sony brand.

MGS 2 is my immediate thought when I think of the PS2. (Somebody go and say "LOL DAT SUX YO" here) I just don't think it'd be right for this game not to have him. Plus I think it'd be cool to see Snake it two similar types of games. I think it'd be an interesting vidoe to see SSBB and PABR Snakes differences.

Besides that, I wouldn't mind seeing almost any other major fighting character from the MGS series either. Have Big Boss as a clone (no pun intended) and then have Ninja Raiden, or even maybe Gray Fox as a clone to Raiden. Ocelot would be a cool choice as well.

If they can somehow incorporate the horror of playing through half a game, going to save then finding your memory card was full, with no way to change this, I'll be impressed. That's my primary Playstation memory.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sorry, I should've made it clear, I was refering to Folklore in my post, not Blasto. Agreed, Sony wouldn't want to remind people of Blasto, but Folklore is worth salvaging, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. I think that game had enough merit to warrant a character inclusion in BR.

FWIW I liked the game. But PaRappa was a huge early hit. Folklore came out when nobody had a PS3 and was quickly forgotten. The game barely sold and the company that made it doesn't exist anymore.

Plus it stars two boringly-named and undistinguished characters ("you pick Kratos. I'll take Ellen). I just don't see Sony using a character slot on that game. Could be wrong.

Tiamant

Dissidia all over again. Squall was godly at building brave but all his HP attacks sucked big time, I bet we'll se something similar here with the supers.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm going to hold on making balancing statements until we know more about the characters and their abilities.

It's almost impossible to create an accurate picture of how the game balance will be until we get it in our hands and tool around with it for a while.

I imagine that there will no doubt be some kind of balance issues, as all fighters tend to have them, but what those issues are, and for which characters remains to be seen. I can't wait to see who else is in the roster.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss Ellen or Keats, as, when you consider game play, they could bring some really interesting tactics to the game play, and you never know, maybe become favorites of some players.

I think the Folklore IP is one of my favorites of this generation, and it's a shame that it didn't get the love it deserved, because people were too busy raging at the $500/$600 asking price of the PS3.

I have a feeling if it was released as a $20 PSN title, it would get a new audience right away. Unfortunately, I think it may be a rather sizable download. I remember the demo being over 1 gig. I'm imaging the full game to be rather large in size. I can't see it being smaller than 9 gigs, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom