• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 2 pre-orders top original Black Ops, MW3's

Amazon has revealed that day one pre-orders for Call of Duty: Black Ops II are ten times the pre-order numbers of the original Black Ops on its first day of availability. In addition, pre-orders are also 30 percent higher than Modern Warfare 3's day one pre-order numbers.

Previously, Modern Warfare 3 set the Amazon record for most pre-ordered game of all-time. In fact, MW3 is among the top 20 pre-orders ever for Amazon, including non-game items like books and movies.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1224307p1.html

Motherofgod.jpg

Riposte

I love this stuff because every year someone says "This will be the last year Call of Duty will grow", citing MW2, BO, MW3...

Petrichor

This is self-defeating. It claims that Black Ops 2 is on track to do better than Black Ops1 and MW3 because the preorders are 10x Black ops 1 and 1.3x MW3, but also has to admit that MW3 preorders > Black Ops pre-orders, when we all know that MW3 hasn't sold as well as Black Ops in the long run.

Thus, first day pre-orders mean fuck all, and this press release is meaningless.

And to top it all off, it's not even comparing like-for-like, as BO2 was announced far later in the year than either of its predecessors, meaning more people were always going to be itching to preorder it. Compare the first 3 months of BO1 or MW3 preorders to day 1 BO2 pre-orders for a fair comparison.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess Gamestop opening early to take Black Ops 2 preorders was a good move, despite how insane it sounded.

whuh? how? Me and my friends who play and buy every cod since 4 thought this was the downfall of the game..cod is probably appealing to soccer moms now or something.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn seriously? Fucking WHY????

I saw the trailer, it looks like garbage ( graphics wise, let's be honest here those textures were disgusting and I'm no graphics whore ) graphics wise. Sure we don't know much about the gameplay but aside from the fact it might not be as linear as previous games, it's probably gonna be more of the same.

I think this is a very sad trend in the gaming industry.

I talked to a few very big call of duty fans who play only that and Fifa, and they said this looked stupid more like Halo. I didn't bother arguing with them because it looks nothing like halo but eh.. they will probably buy it anyway.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sales are likely getting more front-loaded. It wouldn't surprise me if total sales don't exceed Black Ops.

Arnie

I didn't buy MW3 but I'll give this a look because they're trying something with a wisp of originality.

Good for Treyarch, everyone has thought Infinity Ward were the big guys when it comes to making COD games, but they have been pure lazy about MW2 and MW3. Treyarch seems to be giving the fans what they want with this one, I can't wait to see what they are doing with zombies, I was pretty addicted to the zombies in BLOPS and WAW.

They could fill a box with diarrhea, slap "Call of Doodie" on the front and people would still buy it.

It's quiet sad actually. Call of Duty, CoD UO and CoD 4 were such good games.

Kayhan

MW, WaW, MW2, BLOPS and MW3 have all been good to great games.

It is not so surprising that they still sell so well. For a lot of not super hardcore gamers it may be their one shooter game of the year so fatigue is no problem.

whuh? how? Me and my friends who play and buy every cod since 4 thought this was the downfall of the game..cod is probably appealing to soccer moms now or something.

Been playing COD since the original, bought every one of them, and honestly Black Ops 2 is the first time in a while I've been very interested in it since COD4.

monome

Whatever I think of COD, as a consummer I wouldn't feel cheated for pre-ordering the game when substantial info on the game is available, it's just 6 months away and major retail/online partners already promise swags for the firsts lined-up.

Enco

Look forward to COD Grey Ops Warfare 4 in 2030.

Can't wait.

That being said, Black Ops was the best COD. Might give this one a go.

Shiloa

I'm sick of all the CoD hate. Yes, it bores me as a series, but I'm even more bored with the hate bandwagon. CoD is a decent series which runs beautifully and plays pretty well. It might not be perfect and each one is just derivative of the previous one, but it hardly puts a foot wrong.

People enjoy it. People want to buy it. Let them.

Randdalf

You know, this year on year increase in pre-orders is probably nothing to do with increased marketing or hype, but simply because another set of kids have grown up enough to start playing it. Because it is a kid's game really: shallow, easy, immature...

Also Black Ops is the worst game I've ever played

You know, this year on year increase in pre-orders is probably nothing to do with increased marketing or hype, but simply because another set of kids have grown up enough to start playing it. Because it is a kid's game really: shallow, easy, immature...

Also Black Ops is the worst game I've ever played

AndHereWeGo.gif

Sadly? GTFO with that shit. You don't like it? Tough Tits. It's a solid francheise that deserves to be around.

Man I wonder if I went into one of those pedo Gust rpg threads and complained that they keep making them how long I would last.

Probably not very long and it should be no diffrent for CoD threads.

Nibel

There are people who always eat the same stuff.

And there are people who always buy the same games.

Funny, I thought that some analysts said that CoD is going to vanish in the next time

Top Bottom