• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Galaxy Nexus |OT| : Page 190
JoeFu
Member
(05-04-2012, 01:33 AM)
JoeFu's Avatar

Here's mine with a kinda heavy usage. Was using my phone in class to browse gaf, so screen time is an hour.
Mordeccai
(05-04-2012, 02:19 AM)
Mordeccai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jtwo

Still being haunted by tablet hybrid mode.

Tablet mode is awesome. Loved how it worked on my phone. Next update will have individual DPI settings for apps, so you will no longer get mini apps. (I actually preferred the smaller DPI because I could see a shit load of songs on Spotify and the recents button showed ALL of my apps running without having to scroll.)
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 02:46 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar

Originally Posted by gcubed

good luck. Make sure you triple check that your file is there and is not 0 in size. If you are on Win7 you have to most likely start the command prompt as administrator in order to have the file be created.



Gcubed, sorry to sound like a n00b but I have no idea how those asb commands work in the command prompt. Can you help please?

I've installed the Android SDK, the usb drivers but where do I input those adb commands???
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathJr

Gcubed, sorry to sound like a n00b but I have no idea how those asb commands work in the command prompt. Can you help please?

I've installed the Android SDK, the usb drivers but where do I input those adb commands???

Search for "cmd" in the start menu and then hold Ctrl when you hit Enter.
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 03:06 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
Not that big a n00b, I know what cmd is....when I navigate to the folder where adb is installed (C:/program files/android/android-sdk/platform tools/adb.exe), I can't get the adb command to work.

If I type adb devices, it does not show me my device. If I try to run the backup commands, it does not work. So I'm confused.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathJr

Not that big a n00b, I know what cmd is....when I navigate to the folder where adb is installed (C:/program files/android/android-sdk/platform tools/adb.exe), I can't get the adb command to work.

If I type adb devices, it does not show me my device. If I try to run the backup commands, it does not work. So I'm confused.

Sorry. :P

Have you enabled debug mode on your phone? Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging -> Checked
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 03:43 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
Yes, it still shows blank under 'list of devices attached'.

I'm guessing it's an issue with the driver?
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathJr

Yes, it still shows blank under 'list of devices attached'.

I'm guessing it's an issue with the driver?

Maybe, I had the same issue but I think a reboot of the phone or computer fixed it.
reKon
Member
(05-04-2012, 04:39 PM)
I typically get 22+ hours with at least two hours of screen time which includes a little gaming. If the radio didn't eat up so much, it would be much better.

The other day I think I got 3.5 hours of screen time and the battery lasted 15+.

This is with stock battery, LTE
TheLegendary
(05-04-2012, 04:43 PM)
TheLegendary's Avatar

Originally Posted by reKon

I typically get 22+ hours with at least two hours of screen time which includes a little gaming. If the radio didn't eat up so much, it would be much better.

The other day I think I got 3.5 hours of screen time and the battery lasted 15+.

This is with stock battery, LTE

Wow.

Im going to finally pick mine up today. I also ordered the 2100 mah battery online as well since apparently it doesn't increase the thickness noticeably and adds just a minor boost in life.
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:12 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrex

Maybe, I had the same issue but I think a reboot of the phone or computer fixed it.

Rebooted both, still the same problem :(
kinggroin
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:19 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathJr

Rebooted both, still the same problem :(

Make sure the android sdk is up to date. Other than that, make sure you have the ad drivers for your phone correctly installed.

I'd head over to xda GN forums and look for the PDA.net drivers for adb.
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:27 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
Yeah that's where I got the drivers from, connected phone in fastboot menu and installed the drivers. SDK is up to date as well.
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:45 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
FIXED, used the GN root toolkit. :)


EDIT: Oops, sorry for Double post.
gcubed
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:52 PM)
gcubed's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathJr

FIXED, used the GN root toolkit. :)


EDIT: Oops, sorry for Double post.

glad some others helped you out. Remember to make sure you backup actually has data in it before you wipe your phone!

This functionality was built into the phone in the preview versions of ICS but got dropped on official release, hopefully it comes back into the final versions so you dont have to use adb consoles to do a full backup
DeathJr
Member
(05-04-2012, 05:58 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
Yep, thanks. Backup size was only 500mb, I had 2 gb of music and pics on the internal memory, so I guess they did not get backed up.
Battersea Power Station
Member
(05-04-2012, 06:27 PM)
Battersea Power Station's Avatar
I loaded the leaked VZW 4.0.4 build from a couple of months ago onto a friend's phone. Is there a quick and easy way for him to load the "official" one that just came out? He's not rooted at the moment, and I'm kinda far away from him.
Husker86
Member
(05-04-2012, 06:38 PM)
Husker86's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathJr

Yep, thanks. Backup size was only 500mb, I had 2 gb of music and pics on the internal memory, so I guess they did not get backed up.

It doesn't backup SD card data which, even though the GN has all internal memory, it still has a fake SD partition.
SimleuqiR
Member
(05-04-2012, 06:49 PM)
SimleuqiR's Avatar

Originally Posted by sionyboy

$38. Got it off ebay from a south Korean seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120832461308

Just bought this. With 4.0.4 I could see my battery lasting over 24 hours with the extra capacity.
sionyboy
Member
(05-04-2012, 08:06 PM)
sionyboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by SimleuqiR

Just bought this. With 4.0.4 I could see my battery lasting over 24 hours with the extra capacity.

I went 28hrs on battery yesterday, had about 14% left before plugging it in. And that was with about 3.5hrs of screen time, and frequently dropped signal (was working in sports hall so reception was at minimum). 24hrs on moderate use should be easy (signal allowing).
TheLegendary
(05-04-2012, 09:40 PM)
TheLegendary's Avatar
Man is 4G fast. I'm almost willing to take the battery life hit for the speed I get. Starting to creep up on my home network speeds.

No complaints so far, love the phone. We'll see how I feel in a week with the battery.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 09:42 PM)
Yeah, 4G is amazing. #gamechanger

Whenever it goes to 3G I become very sad.
reKon
Member
(05-05-2012, 03:18 AM)
This was today:



3phemeral
Member
(05-05-2012, 04:26 AM)
3phemeral's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mordeccai

Tablet mode is awesome. Loved how it worked on my phone. Next update will have individual DPI settings for apps, so you will no longer get mini apps. (I actually preferred the smaller DPI because I could see a shit load of songs on Spotify and the recents button showed ALL of my apps running without having to scroll.)

Sweet! What method did you use, preconfigured rom or editing files yourself? Pros/cons?
lunchtoast
Member
(05-05-2012, 08:58 AM)
lunchtoast's Avatar
Anyone having problems with gmail and voice not pushing on aokp milestone 5?
XMonkey
lacks enthusiasm.
(05-05-2012, 11:09 AM)
XMonkey's Avatar
Got my Nexus today (LTE). Absolutely love it (no defects with the screen either), except it can't hold a 4G connection at all. If I switch to just 3G only it seems to be fine. It's running 4.0.2.

From what I'm reading online, this is a really common problem? Kind of can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet. Does 4.0.4 solve it?
TheLegendary
(05-05-2012, 12:46 PM)
TheLegendary's Avatar

Originally Posted by XMonkey

Got my Nexus today (LTE). Absolutely love it (no defects with the screen either), except it can't hold a 4G connection at all. If I switch to just 3G only it seems to be fine. It's running 4.0.2.

From what I'm reading online, this is a really common problem? Kind of can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet. Does 4.0.4 solve it?

I have had a solid 4g connection pretty consistently but I live in and around NYC. Its gone to 3g every once in a while but I havent had major issues with that.

By the way, here's my first battery results even with New Phone Syndrome (just got the phone yesterday ) and going through subways, areas with poor signal, etc. I also downloaded an album or two down from Amazon MP3. I don't think I'll have a problem.

Last edited by TheLegendary; 05-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.
gcubed
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:06 PM)
gcubed's Avatar

Originally Posted by XMonkey

Got my Nexus today (LTE). Absolutely love it (no defects with the screen either), except it can't hold a 4G connection at all. If I switch to just 3G only it seems to be fine. It's running 4.0.2.

From what I'm reading online, this is a really common problem? Kind of can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet. Does 4.0.4 solve it?

the newer radios in the 4.0.4 update are much better on 3G/4G switching
th3dude
Member
(05-05-2012, 07:36 PM)
th3dude's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

Anyone having problems with gmail and voice not pushing on aokp milestone 5?

No issues here.
lunchtoast
Member
(05-05-2012, 08:04 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar

Originally Posted by sn1pes

No issues here.


Fixed it. Re-flashed 5 using 0429 gapps instead of 0422.
XMonkey
lacks enthusiasm.
(05-05-2012, 09:51 PM)
XMonkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by gcubed

the newer radios in the 4.0.4 update are much better on 3G/4G switching

Hmm I dont know if it's merely a switching issue since I'm in an area with pretty good 4g reception. It just seems like whenever the 4g connection is used heavily (speedtest or downloading a big app) it drops out. I really hope it's not a hardware issue because I think I lucked out with getting a really good screen.

edit - Gonna talk to Amazon and get a replacement after reading this thread: http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...l?id=24345#c64 Why do so many companies refuse to give a shit about quality control or even acknowledge issues with their products. I'm seeing it happen more and more.
Last edited by XMonkey; 05-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
DeathJr
Member
(05-06-2012, 08:10 AM)
DeathJr's Avatar
This is the 5th time this has happened: the phone gets graphical corruption and freezes. Screen stays on with weird lines and colors, won't turn off unless I remove the battery.

Is that just a crash or something else? 4 out of 5 times this happened while reading sms.
DeathJr
Member
(05-06-2012, 01:53 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
4.04 flashed, backup restored. Everything working perfectly normal.

Thanks for the help guys. :)
MutantCyborg
Member
(05-06-2012, 02:36 PM)
MutantCyborg's Avatar
I just got this phone about 2 weeks ago and I'm having issues with this phone already. When I am messing around on my phone, whether it is looking at my music collection, browsing the web. My phone will do two things: 1. Will get extremely hot around the camera casing but will stay on. 2. The phone will just turn off without getting hot at random times.

My phone has turned itself off about 5 times today and became unbearably hot once.

Is this normal for the Nexus to do this? My previous Incredible would never turn off on its own and would never get hot as to scorch your hand when touching it.


Should I just go to the Verizon store and get them to replace it?

fake edit- I googled the heat issue and it seems pretty normal for the phone and people are stating the newest update will fix that (Whenever Verizon decides to give it to me). But I'm talking really hot, as in you can feel the heat through your jeans when its in your pocket, unwilling to touch the top of the phone when it is this hot. There is also a little burnt plastic smell when it sits at that temperature for more than 10 minutes.
DeathJr
Member
(05-06-2012, 02:57 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar

Originally Posted by MutantCyborg

I'm talking really hot, as in you can feel the heat through your jeans when its in your pocket, unwilling to touch the top of the phone when it is this hot. There is also a little burnt plastic smell when it sits at that temperature for more than 10 minutes.

That does not seem normal at all, I'd advise you to take it back asap (before it explodes lol).
kinggroin
Member
(05-06-2012, 04:23 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by MutantCyborg

I just got this phone about 2 weeks ago and I'm having issues with this phone already. When I am messing around on my phone, whether it is looking at my music collection, browsing the web. My phone will do two things: 1. Will get extremely hot around the camera casing but will stay on. 2. The phone will just turn off without getting hot at random times.

My phone has turned itself off about 5 times today and became unbearably hot once.

Is this normal for the Nexus to do this? My previous Incredible would never turn off on its own and would never get hot as to scorch your hand when touching it.


Should I just go to the Verizon store and get them to replace it?

fake edit- I googled the heat issue and it seems pretty normal for the phone and people are stating the newest update will fix that (Whenever Verizon decides to give it to me). But I'm talking really hot, as in you can feel the heat through your jeans when its in your pocket, unwilling to touch the top of the phone when it is this hot. There is also a little burnt plastic smell when it sits at that temperature for more than 10 minutes.

It CAN get unbearably hot with full brightness and 4g on while charging and heavy usage. I just make sure NOT to do those things at the same time that often.
3phemeral
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:12 AM)
3phemeral's Avatar

Originally Posted by MutantCyborg

I just got this phone about 2 weeks ago and I'm having issues with this phone already. When I am messing around on my phone, whether it is looking at my music collection, browsing the web. My phone will do two things: 1. Will get extremely hot around the camera casing but will stay on. 2. The phone will just turn off without getting hot at random times.

My phone has turned itself off about 5 times today and became unbearably hot once.

Is this normal for the Nexus to do this? My previous Incredible would never turn off on its own and would never get hot as to scorch your hand when touching it.


Should I just go to the Verizon store and get them to replace it?

fake edit- I googled the heat issue and it seems pretty normal for the phone and people are stating the newest update will fix that (Whenever Verizon decides to give it to me). But I'm talking really hot, as in you can feel the heat through your jeans when its in your pocket, unwilling to touch the top of the phone when it is this hot. There is also a little burnt plastic smell when it sits at that temperature for more than 10 minutes.

I'm a super heavy phone user, especially with music, and while my unit would get warm, it only got HOT when I had the adapter attached and I was watching a video at max brightness. Otherwise, that doesn't sound normal at all. This was when I had stock, too.
th3dude
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:30 AM)
th3dude's Avatar
My battery life is fantastic when there isn't anything rogue preventing deep sleep. Problem is you don't always want to have to check.
MutantCyborg
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:40 AM)
MutantCyborg's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathJr

That does not seem normal at all, I'd advise you to take it back asap (before it explodes lol).

Originally Posted by kinggroin

It CAN get unbearably hot with full brightness and 4g on while charging and heavy usage. I just make sure NOT to do those things at the same time that often.

Originally Posted by 3pheMeraLmiX

I'm a super heavy phone user, especially with music, and while my unit would get warm, it only got HOT when I had the adapter attached and I was watching a video at max brightness. Otherwise, that doesn't sound normal at all. This was when I had stock, too.


It happens more often when I am not charging my phone, odd. I don't know how to get the exact brightness setting (I assume you just estimate) but my brightness is set to right under the U in Automatic Brightness, so maybe ~20%.

I haven't rooted my phone or anything. (By the way, would rooting the phone or installing a different ROM, say Cyanogen Mod, void the Verizon warranty?)

I take it the random shut downs aren't normal. When it does this it looks like the phone is locking itself, but without the "TV" animation.
kinggroin
Member
(05-07-2012, 01:37 AM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by MutantCyborg

It happens more often when I am not charging my phone, odd. I don't know how to get the exact brightness setting (I assume you just estimate) but my brightness is set to right under the U in Automatic Brightness, so maybe ~20%.

I haven't rooted my phone or anything. (By the way, would rooting the phone or installing a different ROM, say Cyanogen Mod, void the Verizon warranty?)

I take it the random shut downs aren't normal. When it does this it looks like the phone is locking itself, but without the "TV" animation.


Return it. Something is faulty if it's shutting down to prevent damage.

Mine can get pretty damn hot, but not enough to shut down.
HeySeuss
Member
(05-07-2012, 02:28 AM)
HeySeuss's Avatar
I have the extended battery and I'm not getting nearly the battery life some of you are. Currently at 41% discharging at around 9 hours 30 min. My keep awake time looks to be my main problem at 3 hours 31 min.

Is this an app that is continuously running that I need to find and kill? Or sone type of conflict perhaps?

Thanks
BigJonsson
Member
(05-07-2012, 03:07 AM)
BigJonsson's Avatar
When am I going to get 4.04 =/
3phemeral
Member
(05-07-2012, 05:10 AM)
3phemeral's Avatar

Originally Posted by BigJonsson

When am I going to get 4.04 =/

When you install AOKP M5 :)
DXPett1
Member
(05-07-2012, 09:14 AM)
DXPett1's Avatar
So SMS's just stopped working on my GNex. Among the radio issues I am having I am currently backing up my SD partition and gonna wipe this sucker!

On the plus side... SUPER BATTERY ENABLED

GSM, standard battery, stock 4.0.4 IMM76I for anyone interested.
Last edited by DXPett1; 05-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.
DeathJr
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:21 PM)
DeathJr's Avatar
First day on 4.04. When I get back from work around 8pm my battery is nearly 15%

Today it's at 46%. :)
TheLegendary
(05-07-2012, 02:05 PM)
TheLegendary's Avatar
Welp, I've been completely unable to connect to any wireless network. Tried at home of the weekend, no dice. Office Wifi, same issue.

It seems to authenticate with the credentials and then just constantly says obtaining an ip address. Eventually it'll say "avoiding poor network" or something like that and just disconnect

4.02 Verizon. Any tips? Do I need to disable/enable anything?

I'm going to try just using a static ip but is this something that can be fixed with an update? Don't want to not to be able to use DHCP at all

Edit : Able to connect with a static ip no problem.
Last edited by TheLegendary; 05-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
kehs
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:02 PM)
kehs's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheLegendary

Welp, I've been completely unable to connect to any wireless network. Tried at home of the weekend, no dice. Office Wifi, same issue.

It seems to authenticate with the credentials and then just constantly says obtaining an ip address. Eventually it'll say "avoiding poor network" or something like that and just disconnect

4.02 Verizon. Any tips? Do I need to disable/enable anything?

I'm going to try just using a static ip but is this something that can be fixed with an update? Don't want to not to be able to use DHCP at all

Edit : Able to connect with a static ip no problem.

Try turning off the "do not connect to low signal networks".
TheLegendary
(05-07-2012, 06:22 PM)
TheLegendary's Avatar
Huh. Worked fine after a third restart of my device. Thanks
lunchtoast
Member
(05-07-2012, 08:04 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

Fixed it. Re-flashed 5 using 0429 gapps instead of 0422.

Scratch that, still won't background sync. No idea why.
Glorious Ownage
Member
(05-07-2012, 08:40 PM)
Glorious Ownage's Avatar
I I had a Verizon galaxy nexus for a time before switching back to AT & T for the one X. In the short time I owned the phone I bought the official Verizon extended battery with the back cover. Unfortunately my return period is up so would anyone be interested in buying it off me for like $15 plus postage? Send me a PM if so.

Thread Tools