• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

Erekiddo

storafötter;37623604 said:
To be honest to those who were not satisfied with the PS2..

Who the hell is unsatisfied with the PS2!? It not only boasts the biggest amount of games I own, but the most diverse.

Excellent, excellent run.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wii: I've only ever enjoyed Nintendo handheld games, and a big reason for that was the third party. I had a lot of fun with Wii Sports, so I bought one. Was disappointed constantly. The few games I enjoyed on it still didn't justify it.

360: I think it's a fantastic system with the best controller ever, but as a ps3 owner, it doesn't do much for me. MS's first party isn't mind blowing(to be fair, I care for very little first party titles from any provider), but Fable was the big reason I got a 360. 2 was disappointing compared to 1. 3 was awful. It's a great system, but I think it's kind of useless if you already have a console. I think it kind of goes both ways with the PS3 as well. Luckily, PS3 had Yakuza to win me over.

Neo Geo Pocket: All I ever played was Sonic on the damn thing. And I didn't play it as much as I played Kirby's Dream Land on GBA.

Gamecube: Nothing really grabbed me on that system. I guess a big reason was because I wasn't doing as much multiplayer as I was when I had my 64. Nintendo's back and forth with me.

I was a Sega guy, and I pretty much loved all of them, but these days I'm far more PC/Western oriented. I didn't do much with the PS1 and PS2, but a few games helped justify them to me.

3ds hasn't been blowing my mind, but I'm really looking forward to Heroes of Ruin, Kingdom Hearts, and Power of Illusion. Nintendo's lack of Virtual Console releases for it makes me really dislike them though. It's sad when there are probably more 3DS retail games than Virtual Console games.

Tuck

PSP. Barely played it. Didn't have many games that interested me.

DSi. Its a great system, but the 3DS was so soon after it.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Wii is the only one. It just completely caught me off guard at how inferior it was compared to all the other this-gen consoles, and how lousy the motion controls were.
I also was expecting the online to be considerably good due to how much they were saying it was at E3. The games had less content than Gamecube games, and it really lacked that Nintendo appeal all other Nintendo consoles before gave.

Really felt like a downgrade, and is the only Nintendo console I do not like.

OG Xbox

I bought it for the Halo goodness, and I definitely did enjoy that, but little else kept my interest. Really, virtually everything else I own was ported to another system.

Nimajneb

None, all mainstream consoles have enough good games to justify the purchase. Anyone saying Wii is actively ignoring all the fantastic games on it. If you look past all the minigame collections and shovelware, Wii has the strongest library of exclusive games this generation.

Vorg

Banned
32x
3DO (Road Rash was amazing at the time though)
Game Gear (because it used 6 aa batteries and they lasted about an hour)

Shiloa

3DS. Only console I've ever returned. Hated the 3D, didn't like the touch screen, needed dual analogues, shit software (at the time), total rip-off price (that launch price was crazy) etc.

Alucrid

Banned
None really. I don't get tons of use out of my PS3, but that's okay since I have to be able to watch Blus somehow.

-KRS-

I don't think I've ever had that happen, though maybe that's because I've only bought Nintendo and Sega (well, the mega drive) consoles... yeah I suck. But I can't really afford more than one console and one handheld per generation so I always go with what I know I'll enjoy. My friends has the other consoles so I get plenty of playtime on those anyway.

Somnid

PSX was the only one I sold. I wasn't overly into it but it wasn't say a bad console and I don't regret having owned it. While I do regret selling it a little bit the loading times mixed with the utter unplayability of most titles (now) pretty much alleviates that because it's unlikely I would have played it again.

I didn't buying it for myself but I did ask and receive a Game.com. A disgusting bundle of lies disguised as a portable system. Never bought any other games because they were also lies.

LevityNYC

Banned
Turbo Grafx 16

Especially because a dumb friend convinced me to get it over a Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1991.

The system was pretty much dead at that point.

Omikaru

Xbox 360. Went PC in the end, so it's no good for multiplats. And the first party exclusives? Well, I don't like any of their first party exclusives post-Fable II.

I got the system at launch, and it died for the last time after my 3 year RROD warranty expired. Decided to buy an Elite, and that's plagued me with E74s since. Sold the system a while back now and I don't regret it one bit.

Besides that, I was a Gold subscriber for a number of years, and I purchased quite a few XBLA games/space bucks too.

Overall, the system sucked up far more money than I realised, and on shit like subscriptions and points which don't even have any value that I can sell on. At least PC games are cheap, or get cheap in sales.

Starting to regret my 3DS too, but I'm sure it'll make up for itself with games I like soon.

Kacho

Gold Member
I only ever regretted getting the Sega Dreamcast. The games released for that console left a lot to be desired and then it died.

Ponn

Banned
N64. Worst launch console purchase ever. Waiting 6 months only to get Turok was the final straw.

Rafaelcsa

The PSP. I bought it used from a co-worker, so it wasn't that expensive, at least. But I barely got any use out of it. I bought it to play arcade shmups but that kinda fell on the wayside, for some reason. I also intended to play Dracula X Chronicles on it, but Rondo of Blood eventually came out on the Virtual Console and I also ended up getting a PS3 so I had access to Symphony of the Night on the PSN. The only game I played somewhat extensively was Loco Roco. Cool game, but I shouldn't have bought my PSP. :-/

Another: PS3. Well, almost. It's my Batman box. The Arkham games made it worth it for me. If I hadn't got a PS3 I'd have had to buy an Xbox or a gaming PC to play them, for sure. But I got a PS3 because I thought I'd be able to find more games that made the purchase really justified. I haven't.

Uncharted 1 is horrible. 2 is fine and what 1 should have been, but not something I'd base a console purchase on, now that I know better. Thus, not interested in UC3. Heavy Rain is meh. I don't care about Metal Gear. LittleBigPlanet is terribly boring. Gran Turismo is not for me. Ratchet & Clank I haven't tried but look super generic. I don't care about Rockstar games. Nor Final Fantasy and most JRPGs/WRPGs. I'd like to try Skyrim though, but all the tales about it running terribly on PS3 scared me.

The lights in tunnel for me are The Last Guardian, whenever it comes. Dark Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, which I will eventually try. And Rayman Origins which I just bought today.

Outside of the system itself being complete shit, the only game I cared about that wasn't available on the ps3 was Braid. Then it came to ps3.

3DS hands down, the 3DS made me realize I no longer care about most of the Nintendo games in general they have put out, they could still sway me with the Wii U but I it will take some mind blowing stuff.

chiablo

The original Playstation.

I picked one up way after the Playstation was relevant (I already had a Dreamcast) and was completely disappointed with the graphic capabilities of that system (other than some nice 2D games.)

Tobor

Playstation Vita. Hopefully it will eventually redeem itself, but it's been in a drawer for the last two months.

hatchx

Banned
I don't regret buying a 360, but it's the only system I've ever purchased and sold....twice.

I think it was the Xbox Live factor, requiring an expensive wifi adapter, and the lack of any major exclusives that weren't shooters. I don't think I've ever gotten excited for a 360 exclusive.

-KRS-

The original GBA because the GBA SP came out not too long after.

Oh right. In the same vein I was also a bit disappointed that Nintendo announced the DS Lite like 6 months after I bought the DS. But I can't say that I regretted it in any way. And then the even more superior DS came out anyway, the XL. So I just picked that up when it came out and instantly I was actually happy that I didn't buy the Lite because then I probably wouldn't have considered the XL.

I kinda regretted being given a Wii. I've only enjoyed SSB on it this generation. Oh well my sister and mom use it for Netflix back home. I also regret buying a 360. I'll stick to ps3/pc. It covers most of my bases (besides Gears).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ps3.

The last game I've played for it is Uncharted 3, which was... so many long time ago. Too many overlap with Xbox360......

June 1997: N64.

Bought it for Shadows of the Empire, which I really liked. After beating it, I looked around and saw there weren't any other games for it (I was Mario'd out at this point in my gaming life so disregarded Super Mario 64).

Returned the N64 and exchanged it for a PlayStation.

theBishop

Banned
Uncharted 1 is horrible. 2 is fine and what 1 should have been, but not something I'd base a console purchase on. Not interested in UC3. Heavy Rain is meh. I don't care about Metal Gear. LittleBigPlanet is terribly boring. Gran Turismo is not for me. I don't care about Rockstar games. Nor Final Fantasy and other JRPGs.

Are you sure you like videogames?

The Wii, I guess. I barely have any games for it but it wasn't bad because it made everyone else around me happy(for a bit). That's good enough for me.

OmegaZero

The one that springs to my mind is the 3DO. Bought it since it was the only console that had a Super Turbo port at the time, but I hated the damn thing. The load times were horrible and I never got used to the controller.

What are yours?

Current generation excluded as not to induce any flame wars.

I get the feeling this part was missed by a good amount of people.
EDIT: Just to stay on topic, I regret nothing so far. At least when it comes to console purchases.

Top Bottom