• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

MrCunningham
Member
(05-07-2012, 07:59 AM)
MrCunningham's Avatar

Originally Posted by mkenyon

Unless something has changed, you can't overclock with an HXX motherboard. Really limits possible performance. Either skip the K if you really have no interest in getting 20-30% free performance, or get a ZXX board.

Barracuda Greens are pretty terrible drives too. If you have a backup, it's nothing to fret over. But if you are relying on it as a "safe" drive to store media on, I'd worry a bit. To each their own on that though.

OK I reverted my purchase back to the BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155. I guess it makes more sense to spend a few extra bucks to upgrade my mother board to a Z77 than it does to downgrade my processor to a non 2500K.

I also switched the Barracuda Green 1.5TB harddrive to a Barracuda (Non green) 1TB harddrive. Which was similarly priced.

From what I can see, the greens are mostly unreliable. And the standard Barracuda line is OK.
Last edited by MrCunningham; 05-07-2012 at 08:02 AM.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(05-07-2012, 08:21 AM)
I was complaining about the slightly slower boot time with my new mainboard and CPU. Few hours ago it suddenly took about 5 minutes to boot and it turns out that my secondary HDD, a Western Digital, is crapping out on me. The game partition isn't accessible anymore and transfer rates on my data partition go from normal to awfully slow (~500 KB/s right now) and sometimes back to normal again. The HDD is a little over two years old and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I honestly don't know what to buy anymore. I really don't want to buy any Seagate anymore, I had Samsung's dying one me, with another one that is getting weird in my home server, and I hoped the blue WD would last a little bit longer.
mkenyon
Member
(05-07-2012, 08:22 AM)
mkenyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayer-33

What? lol

What I mean is that real world differences in performance are negligible IMO to warrant massive price gaps between the same products.

Price to performance ratio for me is the key factor, quality and dependability are not really a factor between AMD and Intel, never had any of their procs fail oh me.

Did you miss the charts I posted on the previous page? I was #1 AMD fanboy here, held of on Sandybridge until Bulldozer released even.

Price:performance an i3 outperforms the AMD Phenom II chips. Now think of a 4.8ghz 2500k.

Not certain what 'massive' price gaps you are referring to either. 2500K system vs. PII 980/1100T isn't significant in terms of price by any means, despite the latter getting outperformed by an i3.
MrCunningham
Member
(05-07-2012, 09:12 AM)
MrCunningham's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

I was complaining about the slightly slower boot time with my new mainboard and CPU. Few hours ago it suddenly took about 5 minutes to boot and it turns out that my secondary HDD, a Western Digital, is crapping out on me. The game partition isn't accessible anymore and transfer rates on my data partition go from normal to awfully slow (~500 KB/s right now) and sometimes back to normal again. The HDD is a little over two years old and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I honestly don't know what to buy anymore. I really don't want to buy any Seagate anymore, I had Samsung's dying one me, with another one that is getting weird in my home server, and I hoped the blue WD would last a little bit longer.

I'm no expert, but I have been using a Hitachi hard drive in my current PC for years now and it shows no signs of failure. It's not exactly a good testimonial on my part, since I don't use my PC as a server. But maybe a Hitachi drive could be another possibility?
Ledsen
Member
(05-07-2012, 09:16 AM)
Ledsen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayer-33

What? lol

What I mean is that real world differences in performance are negligible IMO to warrant massive price gaps between the same products.

Price to performance ratio for me is the key factor, quality and dependability are not really a factor between AMD and Intel, never had any of their procs fail oh me.

That's the thing, they're not negligible, they're huge. Price/performance on the 2500k is the best there is, no question.

Also you should watch Arrested Development ;)
Last edited by Ledsen; 05-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(05-07-2012, 09:23 AM)
Slayer-33's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ledsen

That's the thing, they're not negligible, they're huge. Price/performance on the 2500k is the best there is, no question.

Also you should watch Arrested Development ;)

Oh I know the 2500k is a beast lol
overcast
Member
(05-07-2012, 10:05 AM)
overcast's Avatar
I posted in the Diablo thread and they pointed me here. I want to be able to just run D3 fairly well on my laptop. I think my main problem is the graphics card?

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
CPU Speed: 1.4 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
OS: Windows 7
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6520G (I think I need an upgrade?)
I have 324 GB of free space.

If there is anything I need, help would be very much appreciated.
Elixist
Member
(05-07-2012, 10:32 AM)
Elixist's Avatar
Ty for vid card recommendations, I'll look out for the 660ti and the 7850 much appreciated.
Scuba Steve
Member
(05-07-2012, 10:33 AM)

Originally Posted by overcast

I posted in the Diablo thread and they pointed me here. I want to be able to just run D3 fairly well on my laptop. I think my main problem is the graphics card?

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
CPU Speed: 1.4 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
OS: Windows 7
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6520G (I think I need an upgrade?)
I have 324 GB of free space.

If there is anything I need, help would be very much appreciated.

Your laptop doesn't have a videocard

It's the CPU that is processing the graphics, not much you can do but buy a new machine
Wolf Akela
Member
(05-07-2012, 10:34 AM)
Wolf Akela's Avatar

Originally Posted by overcast

I posted in the Diablo thread and they pointed me here. I want to be able to just run D3 fairly well on my laptop. I think my main problem is the graphics card?

Should run just fine. Here's a vid of some guy playing Starcraft 2 with the same APU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8RUTrlpEHg
Karmum
Banned
(05-07-2012, 12:01 PM)
Karmum's Avatar
So, at 1:00 PDT (4:00 EST) the Crucial M4 128 SSD is going on sale, it's already $124.99, how much lower is it going to be with this deal on NewEgg?

Edit - Apparently $99. Oh man, to buy or not to buy?
Last edited by Karmum; 05-07-2012 at 01:24 PM.
r4z4
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:08 PM)
r4z4's Avatar
Finally kicked off purchasing parts for my build with the most agonising decision of all: a case!

Went with the BitFenix Shinobi. Ideally I would have liked an mATX case but there is nothing out there that I found was perfect so went with the best looking (imo) cheap mid-tower.

Now all I am waiting on is release of the GTX 670 and will decide whether I go with that or a 7850 depending on price, hoping the 670 comes in at 300.

Rest of my build will be :
i5-2500K + 212 EVO
Asus Maximus V Gene
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Crucial m4 128GB
HD 7850 or GTX 670
Corsair TX650W v2
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim
(05-07-2012, 12:21 PM)
Hazaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by ParityBit

So...... I was trying to oc my machine so I could run my RAM at 1866 instead of 1333. 1333 is stable but once I oc, I BSOD or hang. I ram memtest86+ and when at 1333 saw no errors after a 2 tests. When I went to 1866 ( I oc'ed the bios and went right to memtest so i assume it was oc'ed) was getting a slew of errors.

I used the Asus bios auto overclock selection but I see the voltage around 1.485. Some reson I cent get it to 1.5 manually either. This is so frustrating.

The speed boost is super negligible. If you want to bother with an RMA you can. Can you run at 1600Mhz and lower timings? It's very similar.

Originally Posted by brotkasten

I was complaining about the slightly slower boot time with my new mainboard and CPU. Few hours ago it suddenly took about 5 minutes to boot and it turns out that my secondary HDD, a Western Digital, is crapping out on me. The game partition isn't accessible anymore and transfer rates on my data partition go from normal to awfully slow (~500 KB/s right now) and sometimes back to normal again. The HDD is a little over two years old and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I honestly don't know what to buy anymore. I really don't want to buy any Seagate anymore, I had Samsung's dying one me, with another one that is getting weird in my home server, and I hoped the blue WD would last a little bit longer.

Well there's going to be 2 or something HDD makers left so you won't have a lot of choice about the matter.

I'd get a Samsung F3/F4 HDD.
bodyboarder
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:26 PM)
bodyboarder's Avatar
With the i3 2120, what would be the maximum video card to pair it with?
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim
(05-07-2012, 12:51 PM)
Hazaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by bodyboarder

With the i3 2120, what would be the maximum video card to pair it with?

Pretty much anything.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3120.html

You'll have cases where a better CPU will give you more frames, but a CPU won't be holding stuff back nearly as much as they have in the past.
e.g. BF3 with 32+ players, SC II on custom maps / large engagements. A quad can also help have higher minimum FPS.

The i3 is an absolute beast for gaming for the $.
bodyboarder
Member
(05-07-2012, 12:56 PM)
bodyboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazaro

Pretty much anything.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3120.html

You'll have cases where a better CPU will give you more frames, but a CPU won't be holding stuff back nearly as much as they have in the past.
e.g. BF3 with 32+ players, SC II on custom maps / large engagements. A quad can also help have higher minimum FPS.

The i3 is an absolute beast for gaming for the $.

Yeah, there really isn't much in it. Thanks for that.
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim
(05-07-2012, 12:59 PM)
Hazaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by bodyboarder

Yeah, there really isn't much in it. Thanks for that.

I can easily understand the concerns about it being only 2 cores with HT. It was why I had the 955 recommended for so long with bulldozer on the horizon, but with bulldozer being a flop and with Z68 board prizes coming down to $110 it made more sense to replace it with the capable i3 after seeing updated benches and it being proven faster is just about everything + upgradable to a nice i5 or i7 down the line.
bodyboarder
Member
(05-07-2012, 01:07 PM)
bodyboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazaro

I can easily understand the concerns about it being only 2 cores with HT. It was why I had the 955 recommended for so long with bulldozer on the horizon, but with bulldozer being a flop and with Z68 board prizes coming down to $110 it made more sense to replace it with the capable i3 after seeing updated benches and it being proven faster is just about everything + upgradable to a nice i5 or i7 down the line.

Half the price of an i5 for similar in-game performance is fine with me.
Lanbeast
Member
(05-07-2012, 01:31 PM)
Lanbeast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Karmum

So, at 1:00 PDT (4:00 EST) the Crucial M4 128 SSD is going on sale, it's already $124.99, how much lower is it going to be with this deal on NewEgg?

Edit - Apparently $99. Oh man, to buy or not to buy?

That's kind of hard to resist.
Frank
Member
(05-07-2012, 01:32 PM)
Frank's Avatar
Just wanted to say thank you! to the guys keeping the OP alive. I just finished building up my first rig in the last 10 years :) and the OP helped a lot with clarifying what I need and want.

I've been mostly a console gamer this generation, so it's nice to open up again the PC gaming space. I grew up within it, which makes this whole thing a bit like coming home.

Now, towards a diabloesque future! And a severely closer relationship with Steam!
Karmum
Banned
(05-07-2012, 01:36 PM)
Karmum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lanbeast

That's kind of hard to resist.

Yeah, even with like another $7-8 in tax, still under $110. This sucks, I don't want to buy both a new case and SSD this week, so I'll just have to pick and choose.

I guess it's pretty obvious, an SSD deal like this may spring up eventually, but maybe not in the next few weeks and I don't see my case going down anytime soon.
kharma45
Member
(05-07-2012, 01:45 PM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elixist

Ty for vid card recommendations, I'll look out for the 660ti and the 7850 much appreciated.

660Ti could be another 6 months away according to the guy who runs Overclockers in the UK.
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim
(05-07-2012, 01:57 PM)
Hazaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frank

Just wanted to say thank you! to the guys keeping the OP alive. I just finished building up my first rig in the last 10 years :) and the OP helped a lot with clarifying what I need and want.

I've been mostly a console gamer this generation, so it's nice to open up again the PC gaming space. I grew up within it, which makes this whole thing a bit like coming home.

Now, towards a diabloesque future! And a severely closer relationship with Steam!

No problem, I get a lot of help on areas I'm not that familiar with and I don't do any of the graphic work.

I am trying to look into making PC gaming more accessible, but HDD prices and Windows and me actually making some kind of profit is making it very difficult to balance.

I saw a computer company (Clockwork) advertise on a fighting game stream which was cool, but their stuff was easily marked up $400 on a $900 and $1300 system. "Find best parts and pass on the savings" my ass.

Problem is your market is price sensitive in a market where the opposite (high end) is profitable on smaller scales.

Originally Posted by kharma45

660Ti could be another 6 months away according to the guy who runs Overclockers in the UK.

6 months seems like a stretch. I'd guess more like 2-4. But that's just a guess because 'Summer' is pretty long and you have 28nm yields + 670/680 supply to juggle.
kharma45
Member
(05-07-2012, 02:08 PM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazaro

6 months seems like a stretch. I'd guess more like 2-4. But that's just a guess because 'Summer' is pretty long and you have 28nm yields + 670/680 supply to juggle.

It does seem like a long time off but here's the post of where he said it

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...5&postcount=54

He's had access to nVidia's roadmap for a good while now he said and the 660 seems like it's still going to be a long way off.
ParityBit
Member
(05-07-2012, 02:13 PM)
ParityBit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazaro

The speed boost is super negligible. If you want to bother with an RMA you can. Can you run at 1600Mhz and lower timings? It's very similar.

I can try 1600 tonight when I get home. One thing I find perplexing is that the voltage appeared to hover at 1.485 or so even when I tried to increase it in the BIOS to 1.5 At least that is what the BIOS was telling me.

So my plan was to try memtest on each chip (I have 4) and see if any of them past the OC. If one passes, I will assume it is the RAM and if all fail I will assume it is the motherboard? Last night when I was trying this, Memtest literally failed within minutes.
TheExodu5
(05-07-2012, 02:19 PM)
TheExodu5's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

It went black as if lost power (says "no signal" as if someone disconnected the monitor), and then booted up by itself and "start windows normally".

So far the highest temp I've seen while playing WiC is 71 celsius.

No overclock failure messages or anything?

Could be a PSU problem. When my PSU went bad, it would cause random reboots.
Ty4on
Member
(05-07-2012, 02:32 PM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackJace

Is there any reason why people prefer Intel to AMD? I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.6 Ghz processor and its perfect.

I always thought it was because Intel has the name, but if anyone could share opinions that'd be nice.

Edit: Sprry, this answers the question "Why would you ever choose AMD over Intel", not vice versa :/

The FX8150 does beat the 2500k in most multi-threaded tasks, especially in Linux (Win7 doesn't like the bulldozer architecture), but it is still slower than 2500k in single-threaded tasks.

Full review on Ubuntu.
(benchmarking starts at page 6)
It also overclocks pretty well. The gaming performance renders it pretty useless for gamers (the 2500k isn't that much worse in multi-threaded tasks, it beats it in some), but it probably has a use if you want to do video/image editing quickly without paying for an i7.
Last edited by Ty4on; 05-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Snookie
Member
(05-07-2012, 02:38 PM)
Snookie's Avatar
I was planning on waiting until the 670s came out but i think i might just pull the trigger on a 560ti 448.

This one to me looks really good

EVGA Classified Ultra - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130758

Any thoughts on this card or anyone have any experience with it?
Karmum
Banned
(05-07-2012, 04:02 PM)
Karmum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snookie

I was planning on waiting until the 670s came out but i think i might just pull the trigger on a 560ti 448.

This one to me looks really good

EVGA Classified Ultra - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130758

Any thoughts on this card or anyone have any experience with it?

I'm honestly not too aware of the 560 Ti (let alone the Classified Ultra one), but I'm pretty sure my overclocked GTX 460 (one, not two) probably gets near the performance a 560 Ti. Would take that opinion with a grain of salt, though.
Chittagong
Member
(05-07-2012, 04:22 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar
Hmmm I'm new with PCs, so not sure how this AMD stuff works.

Anyway, I have the 7850 and it has been running 12.3 drivers. Today there was a prompt to update to 12.4 drivers. I accepted and it downloaded and the installer installed the 150MB package into a folder at C > AMD where there are now two folders, one for 12.3 and one for 12.4.

Anyway, even after reboot when I open CCC and select info, it shows I'm running 12.3 and I have no idea where to go from here.
Sethos
Banned
(05-07-2012, 04:23 PM)
Sethos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Hmmm I'm new with PCs, so not sure how this AMD stuff works.

Anyway, I have the 7850 and it has been running 12.3 drivers. Today there was a prompt to update to 12.4 drivers. I accepted and it downloaded and the installer installed the 150MB package into a folder at C > AMD where there are now two folders, one for 12.3 and one for 12.4.

Anyway, even after reboot when I open CCC and select info, it shows I'm running 12.3 and I have no idea where to go from here.

Sounds like it unpacked the installer, didn't actually install it.

Run the installer inside the 12.4 folder.
Last edited by Sethos; 05-07-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Dirtdog07
Junior Member
(05-07-2012, 04:56 PM)
Dirtdog07's Avatar
I know I don't post very much here but I recently decided to build a new computer and just wanted to say thanks for this great thread. Between this thread and Tom's forums it was really helpful on deciding what to get. With the final pieces coming in today, I can't wait to get it together. Thanks again. These are my specs:

Case - CM Storm Trooper
CPU - I5 2500k
PSU - Corsair HX850
MB - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Video Card - EVGA GTX 680 SC
Mem - Mushkin DDR3 8gb 1333
HD - Samsung F3 1tb
SSD - Crucial 128gb
Optical - LG Blu ray
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

Sethos
Banned
(05-07-2012, 05:01 PM)
Sethos's Avatar
Very nice Dirtdog, remember to put up some pictures when done :)
Chittagong
Member
(05-07-2012, 05:10 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

Sounds like it unpacked the installer, didn't actually install it.

Run the installer inside the 12.4 folder.

This is turning to be more frustrating than I imagined. AMD uninstaller gets stuck and fails to finish, as does the AMD installer. It just hangs on some process for ages, for example when installing it gets stuck in

"Enumerating source media for installable packages"

and when uninstalling it gets stuck on the analyzing bit... yeah, this will take most of the day then.
mkenyon
Member
(05-07-2012, 05:25 PM)
mkenyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Karmum

So, at 1:00 PDT (4:00 EST) the Crucial M4 128 SSD is going on sale, it's already $124.99, how much lower is it going to be with this deal on NewEgg?

Edit - Apparently $99. Oh man, to buy or not to buy?

Sonnuva bitch. Just bought one too.

Anyone remember off the top of their heads if it has built in garbage collection? Tempted to go RAID0 at that price.

Originally Posted by r4z4

Finally kicked off purchasing parts for my build with the most agonising decision of all: a case!

Went with the BitFenix Shinobi. Ideally I would have liked an mATX case but there is nothing out there that I found was perfect so went with the best looking (imo) cheap mid-tower.

Now all I am waiting on is release of the GTX 670 and will decide whether I go with that or a 7850 depending on price, hoping the 670 comes in at 300.

Oh man! Fractal Arc Mini, so much. Shinobi is a great case, but lacking a bit on airflow. You might want to consider picking up an extra fan or two.

I don't know how prices translate across the pond, but I don't expect the 670 to be any lower than $400.

Originally Posted by Snookie

I was planning on waiting until the 670s came out but i think i might just pull the trigger on a 560ti 448.

This one to me looks really good

EVGA Classified Ultra - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130758

Any thoughts on this card or anyone have any experience with it?

Only if you overclock and enjoy pushing it to the limits. If you want it to be a bit more quiet, get the least expensive ASUS DCII or MSI Twin Frozr version you can find. I've seen them as low as $240.
Takuya
Banned
(05-07-2012, 05:32 PM)
Takuya's Avatar

Originally Posted by mkenyon

Sonnuva bitch. Just bought one too.

Anyone remember off the top of their heads if it has built in garbage collection? Tempted to go RAID0 at that price.

I do believe it has built in GC.
Karmum
Banned
(05-07-2012, 05:57 PM)
Karmum's Avatar

Originally Posted by mkenyon

Sonnuva bitch. Just bought one too.

Anyone remember off the top of their heads if it has built in garbage collection? Tempted to go RAID0 at that price.

Wouldn't take my word for it, did some quick googling and I can't imagine it being some odd number like $109.99 or something. I'm definitely jumping on the SSD train once 4 PM EDT rolls around, damn shame it probably won't ship out today though. I assume I'll have to do a fresh new OS install with the SSD? That'll suck.
Filth
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:00 PM)
Filth's Avatar
Hey guys I'm having a really annoying pc issue and I thought maybe someone could help me out.

Symptom: my monitor will randomly go black and flicker back to the desktop and back to black over and over. What is wierd though is it only happens when I click reply to a thread on neogaf and visit other sites main pages. I could have neogaf opened on my pc all day with no issues literally but the second I click reply to a thread that's when the monitor goes black. And it stops once I get rid of the browser. I've tried reinstalling the browser and using ie chrome Firefox. It happens on all 3. My video card is a gtx560 ti with up to Date drivers and I've reinstalled those to.

I was dealing with it by ignoring it but it started happening while playing a game on steam which never happened before. I'm hoping to fix this issue before diablo
3 comes out :/
alysonwheel
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:04 PM)
alysonwheel's Avatar
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent but cheapish socket 775 CPU cooler? Budget's around 20-25 (so around $35?).

Being able to fit it to the i5 I'm planning to get in six months or so would be a bonus.
r4z4
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:06 PM)
r4z4's Avatar

Originally Posted by mkenyon

Oh man! Fractal Arc Mini, so much. Shinobi is a great case, but lacking a bit on airflow. You might want to consider picking up an extra fan or two.

I don't know how prices translate across the pond, but I don't expect the 670 to be any lower than $400.

You have no idea how many times I switched between the Define Mini, Arc Mini and Shinobi. Technically Arc Mini is a better case (modular hard drive racks, rubber grommets etc) but the looks of the Shinobi did it for me. I did pick up two extra 12cm fans so those plus the CPU cooler should work out OK I think.

About the 670 UK price: I've applied the "convert to and add 50 rule" $400 = 250 so hoping for something around 300. Don't screw us over Nvidia!
crimzonflame
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:28 PM)
Is the "Excellent" build in the OP good enough to play all games at max details on 1080p resolution?
Chittagong
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:37 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar
So, after a lot of CClewner and Driver Sweeper and forced rebooting, stuck AMD installers and stuck AMD uninstallers, I finally got the drivers to install properly and games work now fine.

CCC won't start at all though, so same hassle again, repair .NET, clean up reistry of crap... And still nothing. So I guess I won't change those graphics settings, then.

I can not believe AMD puts me through this crap. A monkey could program an installer that parks all previous AMD software to a legacy folder, cleans registry and assembly entries, ensures correct .NET version and updates references, and verifies installation dependencies.
mkenyon
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:51 PM)
mkenyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by alysonwheel

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent but cheapish socket 775 CPU cooler? Budget's around 20-25 (so around $35?).

Being able to fit it to the i5 I'm planning to get in six months or so would be a bonus.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 (plus, evo, whatever). The one in the OP.

Originally Posted by crimzonflame

Is the "Excellent" build in the OP good enough to play all games at max details on 1080p resolution?

At what frame rate?

There's going to be exceptions, but most should play at 60, some at 30-60. BF3, Witcher 2 with ubersampling, Crysis 2 DX11, and Metro 2033 spring to mind as games that probably would not be playable at max.
crimzonflame
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by mkenyon

Coolermaster Hyper 212 (plus, evo, whatever). The one in the OP.

At what frame rate?

There's going to be exceptions, but most should play at 60, some at 30-60. BF3, Witcher 2 with ubersampling, Crysis 2 DX11, and Metro 2033 spring to mind as games that probably would not be playable at max.

I know nothing of frame rates. Whats considered a good frame rate?
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(05-07-2012, 06:53 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by crimzonflame

I know nothing of frame rates. Whats considered a good frame rate?

30fps as a minimum; 60+fps ideally.
LordAlu
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:58 PM)
LordAlu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

So, after a lot of CClewner and Driver Sweeper and forced rebooting, stuck AMD installers and stuck AMD uninstallers, I finally got the drivers to install properly and games work now fine.

CCC won't start at all though, so same hassle again, repair .NET, clean up reistry of crap... And still nothing. So I guess I won't change those graphics settings, then.

I can not believe AMD puts me through this crap. A monkey could program an installer that parks all previous AMD software to a legacy folder, cleans registry and assembly entries, ensures correct .NET version and updates references, and verifies installation dependencies.

It is honestly terrible. My housemate was stuck on 11 series drivers because he simply couldn't upgrade them. Repairing wouldn't work, uninstalling didn't do anything, driver sweeper didn't help at all. It simply refused to install them correctly.

Eventually he got an SSD upgrade and did a clean Windows install... and suddenly the driver install worked perfectly. No idea why it didn't with the previous one.
Lanbeast
Member
(05-07-2012, 07:21 PM)
Lanbeast's Avatar
What kind of future are SSDs facing? That Crucial M4 is really tempting to jump on, but is it likely that the price will go down much more over the next ~9 months or so?
BMX Bandit
Member
(05-07-2012, 07:32 PM)
BMX Bandit's Avatar
setup:
i5 2500k
h80 cooler
ripjaw 2133 8gb ram
asus z68 mobo



after following the oc guide in the op I ended up blue screen repeatedly so I changed everything back to the way it was prior. I've gone back in now and changed the oc from auto to 42 without changing anything else(besides setting the ram back to the xmp profile/2133).

core temp is saying 1.366 v(was 1.34 before at 'auto'/3700mhz)

anyway my question is should this be fine if it proves stable/prime95 no errors or bluescreen/etc? Been awhile since I've oc'd anything. Like I said above I've left the other bios settings alone like cpu offset/manual voltage/pll overvolt etc. Just set it to xmp/and adjusted the rate from auto to 42. Max core temp is looking like 62c so far.

any other advice would be appreciated/the other asus z68 guides seem to suggest similar settings as in the guide in the op. I just ran into this guide http://forums.tweaktown.com/asus/475...reenshots.html
which has a few different settings(seems to leave cpu voltage at offset etc) any opinions on this setup?

sorry for the rambling / just trying to get this oc'd before I stop messing with it for awhile and get down to using it.
Karmum
Banned
(05-07-2012, 07:37 PM)
Karmum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lanbeast

What kind of future are SSDs facing? That Crucial M4 is really tempting to jump on, but is it likely that the price will go down much more over the next ~9 months or so?

Seems like many of them are getting close to $1 per GB, but I dunno when (if ever) they'll get down to HDD prices.
Chittagong
Member
(05-07-2012, 07:54 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordAlu

It is honestly terrible. My housemate was stuck on 11 series drivers because he simply couldn't upgrade them. Repairing wouldn't work, uninstalling didn't do anything, driver sweeper didn't help at all. It simply refused to install them correctly.

Eventually he got an SSD upgrade and did a clean Windows install... and suddenly the driver install worked perfectly. No idea why it didn't with the previous one.

After 4 hours of uninstalling, reinstalling, crashing, freezing, failing, repairing disabling and enabling .NET, cleaning registries CCC decided that now it's time to work again. Best of all, I have fuck all idea what did it.

Thread Tools