• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:07 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conor 419

I hope my

- Best Techs
- Open Online

post doesn't fall under the 'absolute hoot' category, because I think that's pretty reasonable.

Define best techs...
BlackJace
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:08 PM)
BlackJace's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conor 419

I hope my

- Best Techs
- Open Online

post doesn't fall under the 'absolute hoot' category, because I think that's pretty reasonable.

Nah man you're fine. It's people like B_Rik_Schitthaus that make me facepalm. EloquentM's doing a good job of remaining calm and civil debating with them.
UncleSporky
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:09 PM)
That's the kind of thread you revisit in a year when everyone's going maaaaan the tablet streamlines Skyrim menu navigation so much and having a real life Pipboy is amazing dammit I have to double dip and also that smartphone stuff for GTA5 looks so rad maaaan
HylianTom
would totally do this old lady if his wife were guaranteed not to find out.
(05-07-2012, 11:13 PM)
HylianTom's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackJace

It makes the post-E3 crow eaters look that much worse.

I'm telling you, one way or another, Ninty's gonna shock a lot of people this year. In a positive or negative context, I'm not sure.

Eh.. barring some absolutely incredible uber-megaton, I still think it'll go like this:
- if you liked Nintendo before, you'll find reasons to love this conference
- if you disliked Nintendo before, you'll find reasons to hate this conference
- if you were ambivalent to Nintendo before, umm.. who are you?
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(05-07-2012, 11:15 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
where did IdeaMan go? is he composing a new wall of hints?
BurntPork
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:15 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by HylianTom

Eh.. barring some absolutely incredible uber-megaton, I still think it'll go like this:
- if you liked Nintendo before, you'll find reasons to love this conference
- if you disliked Nintendo before, you'll find reasons to hate this conference
- if you were ambivalent to Nintendo before, umm.. who are you?

Bingo. E3 2010 should be proof enough of that.
HylianTom
would totally do this old lady if his wife were guaranteed not to find out.
(05-07-2012, 11:16 PM)
HylianTom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

where did IdeaMan go? is he composing a new wall of hints?

I think so. Ain't it great? :)
AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:17 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar
He's writing up how the new dev kits all have a Terabyte of RAM and tri-7950s.
SpinningBirdKick
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:17 PM)
SpinningBirdKick's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadow Hog

They actually already tried this. AFAIK, it didn't work out.

The online gaming landscape has changed a lot since 2008 when the title shut down.

Time for a reboot?
I Stalk Alone
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:19 PM)
I Stalk Alone's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTopo

....Wii U support. $80 million for next-gen games this fiscal year doesn't sound like much....Of course it's possible they're filing Wii U under this-gen, which wouldn't be a good sign.

orbis and durango will not be released by end of fy13. It's WiiU and maybe VITA/3DS if they count them as consoles.

EA would be smart to get on the nintendo gravy train now or risk more losses the coming years like last time, by not giving them any meaningful support. Unless of course social smartphones and subscriptions are their new direction and in that case, good luck with all those multiple industry bubbles.

Originally Posted by AceBandage

He's writing up how the new dev kits all have a Terabyte of RAM and tri-7950s.

So with devkits having double the normal console RAM, that means 512 GBs of RAM for the console. Meh, not good enough.
snowdog1971
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

like there is a part of Ubisoft not working on WiiU?

I don't know why but Ubi seems to be the biggest Nintendo fanboy out there

Because Ubisoft have made a small fortune in profits supporting the Wii. People are always going on about third parties not being successful on the Wii but Ubisoft, Sega and Capcom in particular have been very successful with Wii titles. EA Sports have also made a fair few quid from the Tiger Woods franchise too I would imagine.

Any publisher in their right mind will be supporting the U from day one, plenty of people were surprised by the Wii's ridiculous success and were caught out due to ploughing millions of dollars/pounds into PS3 development. The U will get plenty of third party support thanks to Nintendo finally ditching the TEV Unit in favour of modern, traditional, programable shaders.

I can see U consoles flying off shelves when it launches, although there's no way that we'll ever see anything like the sales phenomenon that the Wii provided...that was just insane for the first couple of years lol.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(05-07-2012, 11:20 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
he said it was not going to be major
AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:20 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

he said it was not going to be major

Which is French code for megaton.
:P
Mithos
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:20 PM)
Mithos's Avatar

Originally Posted by wsippel

You know they won't. Why pay license fees for outdated legacy features?

Well sound bad then, better luck next time, 2013 it is for next console then.
BurntPork
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:21 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

He's writing up how the new dev kits all have a Terabyte of RAM and tri-7950s.

I heard 7970s running at 1.25GHz.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(05-07-2012, 11:22 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Which is French code for megaton.
:P

you are trying to set him up for a backlash? >:(

smh
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
(05-07-2012, 11:23 PM)
Gahiggidy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

he said it was not going to be major

I just hope that it will be objective facts instead of subjective speculation.
AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:23 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

you are trying to set him up for a backlash? >:(

smh

Anyone than can't tell that I'm being sarcastic should not be allowed on the Internet.
BurntPork
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:24 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Anyone than can't tell that I'm being sarcastic should not be allowed on the Internet.

YAY! I don't need to leave the internet!
BlackJace
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:25 PM)
BlackJace's Avatar
I am ready IdeaMan. Do your worst sir.
AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:25 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurntPork

YAY! I don't need to leave the internet!

Grey area.
BurntPork
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:26 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Grey area.

Burnt pork is black, though.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(05-07-2012, 11:27 PM)
IdeaMan's Avatar
A news concerning the dev kits (models, availability to developers, etc.)

One month and half ago, i told you that big third-parties were noticed by Nintendo that they should receive the development kits following the V4 ones that they used since late last year/start of january, at the end of march/beginning of april. These "V5" dev kits seemed to be tagged final or near final, and see a slight increase in their performances.

Here's the message which i'm referring to

Nearly all this post's infos are STILL relevant, except the time schedule. It appears third-parties were waiting for these dev kits during all april. There has been a delay of at least one month in the supply of this equipment by Nintendo.

But finally, they just received them

Another important news: they are the mass produced dev kits.

_________________________

Here's some bits of my previous message in regard to this subject, but updated:

- Except maybe big japanese studios (like Capcom), i doubt that other third-parties received these dev kits (much) earlier. It's likely that my sources are one of the firsts to be granted of the latest revisions. This means that all the declarations, the news, from foreign developers, that you've read until now, were certainly in a V4 dev kit framework, before the release of these newest ones.

- A previous post of lherre indicated that Nintendo guys were testing an engine and saw slightly improved results on the "V5" compare to V4.
Context: it was posted 2 month and half ago, when lherre decided to come out of his lair in answer to my very first message to confirm that Wii U was clearly closer to "2x than 5x xbox360". And he basically added that the expected more advanced dev kit in Nintendo headquarters at the time that i've talked about will not change dramatically the Wii U power status. So he surely knew of these engine benchmarks before my intervention, maybe some days, maybe some weeks.
Assumption: considering the at least 3 months interval between these internal tests and the V5 delivery to third-parties (minus the dev kits assembly and shipping), there's a good chance that the V5 dev kits in the hands of foreign studios have received even more hardware refinements and optimizations than the models used for these Nintendo tests some time before. More about that in this following message.

__________________

Additional infos:

- Third-parties have one month to adapt to these new dev kits and to what they bring (in terms of performances increase, hardware modifications, and new features) until E3.
- As they are tagged "Mass Production", they are final. Maybe there will be later revisions with small refinements here and there, but nothing drastic, except changes of plans from Nintendo. So the hardware is stable now.
- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original
- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

Still interesting to know that they are the mass produced models, and are supplied to third-parties just now.
Last edited by IdeaMan; 05-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Conor 419
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:28 PM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Define best techs...

Like, the Wii U version of AC3 will be the most impressive.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(05-07-2012, 11:29 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gahiggidy

I just hope that it will be objective facts instead of subjective speculation.

I already had a talk with IdeaMan about that in private, that is just not his style so I respect that. He is having fun and we get little bits of hints out of it so let him have his fun and post the way he wants to present the info
UncleSporky
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:31 PM)

Originally Posted by SpinningBirdKick

The online gaming landscape has changed a lot since 2008 when the title shut down.

Time for a reboot?

I once read a good article about all the game's shortcomings and how various design decisions made players naturally gravitate toward logically sound yet nonsensical actions. You'd hope for a thriving online community of people going about their daily simulated lives, but instead everyone sat around making pizzas over and over (seriously).

One of its main problems was that you couldn't speed up time at all since everyone had to be playing at the same speed. I played the Sims at the 3x speed for like 90% of all in-game time and can't imagine it at normal speed. As I recall, this made sleep/recharging energy a huge boring time sink in Sims Online.

And nowadays there are other online communities vying for people's attention that aren't going to be supplanted anytime soon. Farmville might as well be Sims Online, or any other of the timesink simulation social games.
BurntPork
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:31 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

A news concerning the dev kits (models, availability to developers, etc.)

One month and half ago, i told you that big third-parties were noticed by Nintendo that they should receive the development kits following the V4 ones that they used since late last year/start of january, at the end of march/beginning of april. These "V5" dev kits seemed to be tagged final or near final, and see a slight increase in their performances.

Here's the message which i'm referring to

Nearly all this post's infos are STILL relevant, except the time schedule. It appears third-parties were waiting for these dev kits during all april. There has been a delay of at least one month in the supply of this equipment by Nintendo.

But finally, they just received them

Another important news: they are the mass produced dev kits.

_________________________

Here's some bits of my previous message in regard to this subject, but updated:

- Except maybe big japanese studios (like Capcom), i doubt that other third-parties received these dev kits (much) earlier. It's likely that my sources are one of the firsts to be granted of the latest revisions. This means that all the declarations, the news, from foreign developers, that you've read until now, were certainly in a V4 dev kit framework, before the release of these newest ones.

- A previous post of lherre indicated that Nintendo guys were testing an engine and saw slightly improved results on the "V5" compare to V4.
Context: it was posted 2 month and half ago, when lherre decided to come out of his lair in answer to my very first message to confirm that Wii U was clearly closer to "2x than 5x xbox360". And he basically added that the expected more advanced dev kit in Nintendo headquarters at the time that i've talked about will not change dramatically the Wii U power status. So he surely knew of these engine benchmarks before my intervention, maybe some days, maybe some weeks.
Assumption: considering the at least 3 months interval between these internal tests and the V5 delivery to third-parties (minus the dev kits assembly and shipping), there's a good chance that the V5 dev kits in the hands of foreign studios have received even more hardware refinements and optimizations than the models used for these Nintendo tests some time before.

__________________

- Third-parties have one month to adapt to these new dev kits and to what they bring (in terms of performances increase, hardware modifications, and new features) until E3.
- As they are tagged "Mass Production", they are final. Maybe there will be later revisions with small refinements here and there, but nothing drastic, except changes of plans from Nintendo. So the hardware is stable now.
- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original
- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

Still interesting to know that they are the mass produced ones, and are supplied to third-parties just now.

Long story short, final kits just got out, and not everyone has them yet.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(05-07-2012, 11:32 PM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original
- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

I'll just go ahead and pretend that this is Dolphin-like upgrades when playing Gamecube games BC.

Seriously, though, I look forward to figuring out what this is.

Also, in your opinion, would this be "good news" that most would be indifferent to or "good news" that most of us here would probably love to hear?
Last edited by Plinko; 05-07-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(05-07-2012, 11:34 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
Hype?
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(05-07-2012, 11:35 PM)
EloquentM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

Hype?

Hype.
-Pyromaniac-
(05-07-2012, 11:36 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
Looks like the work is done. Now the waiting game begins for everyone.
Thrillhouse
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

So with devkits having double the normal console RAM, that means 512 GBs of RAM for the console. Meh, not good enough.

How many did instinctively read this as MB?
Last edited by Thrillhouse; 05-07-2012 at 11:42 PM.
japtor
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:36 PM)
japtor's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original

SIX TRIGGERS!?

(I'm joking but honestly wouldn't mind another shoulder/trigger if implemented well, like for stuff that gets relegated to the sucky click sticks cause there's no other buttons left)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

I already had a talk with IdeaMan about that in private, that is just not his style so I respect that. He is having fun and we get little bits of hints out of it so let him have his fun and post the way he wants to present the info

Well the last post above was good, it's just the super vague hinting ones that are kind of annoying...cause they're vague enough that they're not necessarily helpful.
AzaK
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:38 PM)
AzaK's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

The controller comes in different patterns to match a gamer's outfit?

In a way it's a bit sad we're at the final dev kits. I was hoping for MOAR POWA.
MatthewB92
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:39 PM)
MatthewB92's Avatar

Originally Posted by EloquentM

Hype train.

.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(05-07-2012, 11:40 PM)
IdeaMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by japtor

SIX TRIGGERS!?

(I'm joking but honestly wouldn't mind another shoulder/trigger if implemented well, like for stuff that gets relegated to the sucky click sticks cause there's no other buttons left)

Well the last post above was good, it's just the super vague hinting ones that are kind of annoying...cause they're vague enough that they're not necessarily helpful.

My teases announcing future posts about particular subjects are vague by choice (fun & hype building & nurture the speculation). But once i write the promised messages, they are rather clear with a lot of details & explanation about the context, etc.

I understand why the hints can annoy some people, but it's an entertainment business guys :)

Oh and for the "original" bit, it's not the DRC, it's the dev kits, meaning the big box used to develop games.
brochiller
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:40 PM)
brochiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

Increased Padlet range.

Edit: Damn guess I'm wrong.
guek
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:41 PM)
guek's Avatar
Ideaman in gif form:



so much teasing! >_<

Fascinating stuff though nonetheless. What I find interesting is that, iirc, dev kits often ship much closer to launch dates (in this case rumored to be in november). I'm willing to be the farm that the added "good news" that Ideaman is hinting at is OS based, perhaps having to do with NN and online multiplayer, perhaps social tools such as video chatting or whatnot. Features that nintendo probably told devs to expect but haven't really been in presentable condition until just recently. It makes sense for nintendo to release tools for OS features now because devs can easily advertise at E3 that their games will make use of them at release without having to go to great lengths to demo them within their own games.
Cheesecakebobby
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:42 PM)
Cheesecakebobby's Avatar
Ideaman, one of your recent posts stated that devs have little to no access to the OS so know barely more about it than we do. Does that apply to these latest mass-produced dev kits, or the previous versions?
brochiller
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:43 PM)
brochiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by guek

Ideaman in gif form:



so much teasing! >_<

Fascinating stuff though nonetheless. What I find interesting is that, iirc, dev kits often ship much closer to launch dates (in this case rumored to be in november). I'm willing to be the farm that the added "good news" that Ideaman is hinting at is OS based, perhaps having to do with NN and online multiplayer, perhaps social tools such as video chatting or whatnot. Features that nintendo probably told devs to expect but haven't really been in presentable condition until just recently. It makes sense for nintendo to release tools for OS features now because devs can easily advertise at E3 that their games will make use of them at release without having to go to great lengths to demo them within their own games.

I think that's a good guess that it has something to do with the OS. Another possibility is that Nintendo has significantly reduced the OS's RAM footprint, opening more up for developers to use.
Soroc
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:43 PM)
Soroc's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original
- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p
.

I'm guessing they added in Wii Games upscaling in HD like Dolphin!!!

Please be true!

EDIT: After reading Guek's post, I'm with him, if this is the final or near final mass produced dev kits then the OS layer is now in there.
Last edited by Soroc; 05-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
AceBandage
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:43 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar
Built in waffle maker is true!
antonz
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:43 PM)
antonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

My teases announcing future posts about particular subjects are vague by choice (fun & hype building & nurture the speculation). But once i write the promised messages, they are rather clear with a lot of details & explanation about the context, etc.

I understand why the hints can annoy some people, but it's an entertainment business guys :)

Oh and for the "original" bit, it's not the DRC, it's the dev kits, meaning the big box used to develop games.

the unit itself slightly larger?
snesfreak
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:44 PM)
snesfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Built in waffle maker is true!

If I weren't already buying the Wii U, I'd buy it just for that.
Conor 419
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Soroc

I'm guessing they added in Wii Games upscaling in HD like Dolphin!!!

Please be true!

Oh god what have you done. Don't get me going on hype like this, god DAMN.

Is there a Neogaf rule where 10 members can all call for information to be revealed where it is withheld, but if it is then those 10 members have to resign their posts?
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(05-07-2012, 11:48 PM)
IdeaMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheesecakebobby

Ideaman, one of your recent posts stated that devs have little to no access to the OS so know barely more about it than we do. Does that apply to these latest mass-produced dev kits, or the previous versions?

It was in a V4 dev kit context. And 2.01/2.02/2.03 SDK framework.
It doesn't mean they know much more with these mass produced dev kits (and the newly released 2.04 SDK) about this Wii U aspect though.
Last edited by IdeaMan; 05-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
guek
Member
(05-07-2012, 11:48 PM)
guek's Avatar

Originally Posted by brochiller

I think that's a good guess that it has something to do with the OS. Another possibility is that Nintendo has significantly reduced the OS's RAM footprint, opening more up for developers to use.

Also a possibility, but I think he'd make a bigger deal out of it if that was the case.
Conor 419
Banned
(05-07-2012, 11:48 PM)
lol, Ideaman, how many members would you say all of your information is worth? 10? 20? 50?
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
(05-07-2012, 11:49 PM)
Gahiggidy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plinko

I'll just go ahead and pretend that this is Dolphin-like upgrades when playing Gamecube games BC.

Seriously, though, I look forward to figuring out what this is.

...

well, that would be disappointing because, to be perfectly honest, dolphin emulations look crummy to me. If you don't have the extra geometry to fill up the expanded scene the visuals look hollow.

That's what I want most out of wii u, polygons polygons and more polygons.

Thread Tools