• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, problem isn't number of subscribers, they have too many game worlds.

If by game worlds you mean servers then I agree. They have well over 200 servers, probably about double what they need.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I don't even bother to read any SWTOR threads outside the OT anymore.

Yeah, I should do the same. In what world does 1.3 million subs mean the game will soon be F2P?

Yeah, I should do the same. In what world does 1.3 million subs mean the game will soon be F2P?

It's not doing WoW numbers, therefore, failure. /rollseyes

No MMO will ever do WoW numbers again.

And I'm sick of people saying "should have just made KOTOR 3". If they did that we wouldn't have gotten anything but the Knight storyline.

1.3mil subs is not bad, but what is bad is that it dropped 400k in 3 months. How much more will it potentially lose? Perhaps things will level off eventually but I can only imagine them losing more with all the big games coming out soon.

Subs dropping is to be expected, they really lost alot of people with how long it took them to get 1.2 out. This hopefully lights a fire under their asses to get 1.3 and future updates going faster, and more events damnit!

Interesting about the content pack in Q1..... wonder what Allies means

vilmer_

1.3mil subs is not bad, but what is bad is that it dropped 400k in 3 months. How much more will it potentially lose? Perhaps things will level off eventually but I can only imagine them losing more with all the big games coming out soon.

Subs dropping is to be expected, they really lost alot of people with how long it took them to get 1.2 out. This hopefully lights a fire under their asses to get 1.3 and future updates going faster, and more events damnit!

It seems once the Rakghoul event ended, my server has seen a decent drop of players, at least on the Republic side. 1.2 and then the Rakghoul invasion brought a TON of people back, we were seeing as many people on the fleet as during launch week it was fantastic. Get on that content Bioware!

StudioTan

If the Torhead future content leaks are any indication it likely means
new companions

Hopefully by calling it a content pack, it doesn't mean some form of mini dlc/expansion that we have to buy separately

It seems once the Rakghoul event ended, my server has seen a decent drop of players, at least on the Republic side. 1.2 and then the Rakghoul invasion brought a TON of people back, we were seeing as many people on the fleet as during launch week it was fantastic. Get on that content Bioware!

If your going to be charging a sub to play your game, you need to be constantly providing content to your paying customers in this day and age with all the competition. Them taking almost 4 months for one content update after launch is pathetic. Not even a single even in all those 4 months? Seriously? At least other games between big updates has smaller bits of content that filters to players to keep interest and events on regular basis too.

StudioTan

Hopefully by calling it a content pack, it doesn't mean some form of mini dlc/expansion that we have to buy separately

Already addressed by BW on the official forums:

This is referring to content patches (like 1.2 and 1.3), not to "expansions" (which most people think of as a boxed product).

StudioTan

Thank god. Could imagine the shit storm if they attempted to released paid for expansions at this point.

I agree, but I'm still thinking there will be an expansion for Christmas. Right now it's WAY too early for paid updates.

I read elsewhere that it was 1.3m subs as of the end of March. Anyone know if that's the case, or is that where numbers currently stand?

Without any more info we have to assume the number is as of Mar 31st because that is when the report period ends. It doesn't mean it's the case though, the last report ended 10 days after launch and when they announced 1.7 millions subs they made it clear they were talking as of Feb 1st which is when the report came out. So it could go either way.

Heysoos

Seriously, as much as I liked KOTOR 1 and to a lesser extenct 2, if they had made KOTOR 3 I would have missed on the awesome story of the trooper. No thanks, I like it this way.

I agree, but I'm still thinking there will be an expansion for Christmas. Right now it's WAY too early for paid updates.

Without any more info we have to assume the number is as of Mar 31st because that is when the report period ends. It doesn't mean it's the case though, the last report ended 10 days after launch and when they announced 1.7 millions subs they made it clear they were talking as of Feb 1st which is when the report came out. So it could go either way.

We do have more info.

1.3m as of end of April.

Moaradin

Fatman isn't the only popular server. Swiftsure has those numbers all the time, even after the Australian server transfers (it was considered the unofficial Australian server).

Cystm

Fatman isn't the only popular server. Swiftsure has those numbers all the time, even after the Australian server transfers (it was considered the unofficial Australian server).

Is that on Pub or Imp side?

30 Pubs tops on my server The Crucible Pitts, which was the designated media server at launch.

I don't even bother to read any SWTOR threads outside the OT anymore.

Yeah, I am not delving into that BS anymore.

StudioTan

Is that on Pub or Imp side?

30 Pubs tops on my server The Crucible Pitts, which was the designated media server at launch.

Sith Wyrm pub side is usually around 50-60 people on the fleet during the evenings, around 30 during the day and after midnight and gets up to 80-90 on occasion. I know the Imp side is more heavily populated. During the Rakghoul event we had over 100 pubs on Tattooine the first couple of days. This is a Standard server although we might be one of the more heavily populated servers with that classification.

MaddenNFL64

Always waiting on my friend to log on, so I can play the the damn story along with him. Slowing me down a ton. The bastard, having a life :(.

CzarTim

Patch: http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.3/582012

1.2.3 Patch Notes
5/8/2012
Classes and Combat
General
Corrected an issue that prevented Smugglers and Imperial Agents from taking cover in place while moving
Channeled abilities now fully complete if a buff providing an Alacrity bonus wears off while the ability is being channeled.
Flashpoints and Operations
Flashpoints
Boarding Party
This Flashpoint's Hard Mode no longer has a daily limitation.
Operations
General
Players now receive a "Timed Run" buff when attempting Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace in Nightmare Mode. Killing Soa or Karagga before this buff expires grants the Infernal or Unyielding title, respectively.
Explosive Conflict
Zorn's "Fearful" debuff is now correctly restricted to 30 meters.
The Demolition Probe Droid no longer attempts to move to the player in the scout tower, which could result in the Droid evading.
Minefield turrets no longer occasionally reactivate after the group has engaged Vorgath.
Kephess's Gift of the Masters ability now uses the correct (smaller) radius.
Items
General
Custom (orange) moddable items that have no modifications installed can now be reverse engineered.
Legacy
All characters in a Legacy now appear in the Family Tree, even if the character has not logged in since patch 1.2.
Missions and NPCs
Missions
General
Implemented changes to ensure that mission encounters reset (and related enemies respawn) correctly. A small number of missions had encounters that did not properly reset.
World Missions
Ilum
Daily missions on Ilum no longer require the player to complete the Ilum World Mission Arc.
Class Missions
Sith Inquisitor
The Fallen Dreadnought: Corrected an issue that blocked progression on this mission if the player skipped a mission step.
NPCs
The Nightmare Pilgrim's (World Boss on Voss) totem no longer enters a state that prevents players from interacting with it.
Some issues that could cause incorrect NPC pathfinding on Corellia have been addressed.
UI
General
Corrected an issue that could prevent the interface editor from being opened by the "+" button on the hotbar.
Galactic Trade Network
An issue that prevented some item category searches from functioning unless an item name or price range was also specified has been corrected.
The default value for the Rarity field is now Standard instead of Any. This allows players to search for most items without requiring that they select an option in the Rarity field.
When claiming items or credits attached to mail, players will no longer encounter a rare error stating that the message cannot be sent.
Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
Players that completed the steps required to unlock the "Containment Officer" title during the Rakghoul Plague event but did not receive the title have been granted it.

Draxal

1. Bioware suffers from bad PR, the weekly qa's will give one good answer and then answer softball questions, that were already answered in other materials. They have been really quiet about 1.3, some of you guys were expecting 1.3 in May, I don't think it's going to happen until July now at the earliest.

2. Their patch q and a is horrible, each weekly patch breaks more then it fixes. (apparently the matix cubes - the datacron relics will disappear from login or changing zones with this newest patch). What's the point of PTS if it isn't even used.

3. They're at the xroads with Diablo III coming up and they keep on dropping the ball asides from the Rakghoul event (which I enjoyed for what it was).

AppleMIX

1. Bioware suffers from bad PR, the weekly qa's will give one good answer and then answer softball questions, that were already answered in other materials. They have been really quiet about 1.3, some of you guys were expecting 1.3 in May, I don't think it's going to happen until July now at the earliest.

Isn't 1.3 basically confirmed before the end of June.

Is the PTS even up or is it shut down currently?

Not really, that's just the fiscal report which has no basis in reality dealing with the troubles that the teams have been implementing stuff (see all of 1.2 delays).

It's in the best interests to get 1.3 out as soon as possible and they just recently said they were going to get it out soon and why dual specs are not in it. Don't know where people got the May date from though, sounded ridiculous at the time that they would roll out the next update in only a month.

Draxal

Is the PTS even up or is it shut down currently?

It's in the best interests to get 1.3 out as soon as possible and they just recently said they were going to get it out soon and why dual specs are not in it. Don't know where people got the May date from though, sounded ridiculous at the time that they would roll out the next update in only a month.

They got it because Georg Zoeller said content patches would be monthly since then (I think he's been muzzled a bit which is a good thing, haven't seen much posting from him in while). And while I do want 1.3 out as soon as possible, if they don't have it ready they aren't going to have it ready, I have seen barely any info coming from the usual suspects hyping 1.3 at all.

PTS has been down since 1.2 launched.

They got it because Georg Zoeller said content patches would be monthly since then (I think he's been muzzled a bit which is a good thing, haven't seen much posting from him in while). And while I do want 1.3 out as soon as possible, if they don't have it ready they aren't going to have it ready, I have seen barely any info coming from the usual suspects hyping 1.3 at all.

PTS has been down since 1.2 launched.

They were saying they wanted to do monthly updates back in January but we saw that never happened. The handling of 1.2 was horrible, they need to cut the crap with these "big" updates and just constantly be streaming us new material to keep interest going.

They also said they wanted to get the rated pvp stuff started, at least the preseason before 1.3 was deployed as well.

FeD.nL

So I just bought the game. Installing atm :). Still can't decide on which class to roll. I loved my DK back when I was playing WoW anything comparable?

Also is there a EU gaf realm?

Not on fatman. Pvp ques pop every 3 minutes all night and day long :D. Atleast sub 50 since im not at cap yyet. Sorc assassin is incredibly better than merc news at 11.

But alot of the other servers it will be a problem when they suddenly split the pvp userbase between ranked and unranked queues. Majority of servers will likely suffer when it comes to the queues.

FeD.nL

So I just spend the past hour installing and patching, now it says it an invalid installation. It crashed back to desktop after the CG intro.. do I really have to reinstall everything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Isn't 1.3 basically confirmed before the end of June.
No... they haven't said anything regarding when we'll see it. Until it's on the PTS, I wouldn't estimate it for any date, nor would I trust a date given by anyone else. Even if it's on the PTS... the most you could say is "within the next month or two".

So I just spend the past hour installing and patching, now it says it an invalid installation. It crashed back to desktop after the CG intro.. do I really have to reinstall everything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try to repair option from the launcher?

gatti-man

Yeah, it's weird. It went from being average pop to a ghost town over the last few months.

Its really sad and i play off hours so i was really suffering. Plus all my friends are there but fatman being so active its even better than launch. Plus since bioware broke mercs i really needed to reroll anyways. I never saw 200 on drumand kass. Every herioc has people grouping it constantly its just really nice to have a living world. Bioware needs to merge immediately imo.

HBroward

So many changes in this patch. The PVP daily change is very welcome. Needing 6 games played, and having wins count for 2 should really provide a boost to the PVP scene. Now it won't matter if you are facing an 8 man Starsiders team, as long as you are willing to get your face kicked in a couple times depending on the pugs you get. The Zorn & Toth bug with Fearful explains a lot, I knew I had always been in a safe range when that had triggered before. Being able to reverse engineer moddable custom gear is a welcome change, now more selling off War Hero crit fails for nothing basically. The Nightmare Pilgrim fix for the trigger to start the fight is nice, Foudre's attempts to troll us last time by starting it early meant we didn't get to attempt it due to that bug.

And of course, the Matrix Cube glitch has been added, wouldn't be great patch notes without something like that working it's way in.

And on the topic of Keller's Void pop issues, it has been bad the last week. I don't think it as bad as we are making it out to be though, I think a ton of people are just playing alts, so the fleet pop just looks a lot smaller. We peaked at around 100 on fleet last evening, which is a far cry from the old peaks. We do need those transfers and mergers soon though, we are losing a ton of pvpers to other servers now. And I don't even want to think about what happens after next week and Diablo 3...

Top Bottom