• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I jest because your absence from here makes me sad.
I'm actually meant to be posting more because my master's thesis is more or less about HaloGAF, but my master's in general gets in the way of it. Should be here far too much from early June until September.

It's just hard when every time I visit there are ten pages tacked on.

It's more or less the same size, its just now we complain more than we play.
I didn't want to mention this, but in general the threads feel more hostile and competitive (and sometimes, well, whiny) than they used to feel. And it's not like they weren't those things in 2006 when I joined.

FyreWulff

Is terrain editing even possible with the Halo engine, shadows and all.

What I most hate about Reach's forge is how two same plieces placed together can have totally different shadowing, did that happen in 3?

terrain editing should be possible, shadowing would require them to write a lighting solution that can run on the 360 hardware instead of server farming it.

Also yes, that lighting thing happened in Halo 3 a lot

GhaleonEB

You could have watched the entire clip. There's no spoilers. Last thing I would do is post a spoiler from that movie, it's one of the things I've most been looking forward to this year. It's simply the ship landing on the planet.
At this point, there's no reason for me to watch more footage: I'm going to see it opening night, and I'd like to see as much of the film as possible for the first time in theaters. I'm not so much dodging spoilers as minimizing the number of scenes that I'll have seen already.

Did ya watch that spoilerish trailer? i havent but some say it is not hat spoilerish. Not sure which group I should trust.

The US one was spoilerish as hell, and I really wish I had not seen it. I have not seen any trailers or footage (15 seconds of the new clip and an ad last night aside) since. Personally I'd say don't watch jack squat until the movie hits.

At this point, there's no reason for me to watch more footage: I'm going to see it opening night, and I'd like to see as much of the film as possible for the first time in theaters. I'm not so much dodging spoilers as minimizing the number of scenes that I'll have seen already.

The US one was spoilerish as hell, and I really wish I had not seen it. I have not seen any trailers or footage (15 seconds of the new clip and an ad last night aside) since. Personally I'd say don't watch jack squat until the movie hits.
I will definitely get spoiled by someone at twitter. I fear it will be Dax... because of excitement he is going to tweet the twist.

Pretty OT but my Squirtle is Squirtle-117. :p
Sweet.

That's sweet I wanted one of those but funding didn't permit
Same for me. I wanted a GLUMANDA ehm I meant Charmandar so bad.

terrain editing should be possible, shadowing would require them to write a lighting solution that can run on the 360 hardware instead of server farming it.

Also yes, that lighting thing happened in Halo 3 a lot
That's good to know
for my balls

Also, Ninja Fruit has to be the most addicting shit ever.

CyReN

Today, Frankie won.

Ron Paul to suspend active campaigning in the 2012 GOP presidential race.

Also KC commented on matching up 4v4 in MLG
we requested that with Bungie
and they said our playlist numbers were too low to do that
and that wait times would dramatically increase if they were to implement it
that was when there was usually around 4k in the playlist

J10

Banned

Is it possible to have two different lighting systems in the game? Could the stock maps have the more complex lighting while user created maps have simpler lighting, or does it have to be one way game wide? I have no idea how this stuff runs in the background or whatever.

FyreWulff

Is it possible to have two different lighting systems in the game? Could the stock maps have the more complex lighting while user created maps have simpler lighting, or does it have to be one way game wide? I have no idea how this stuff runs in the background or whatever.

When you allow people to bake lighting on the console itself like Far Cry, you trade away accuracy and resolution since you have a limited amount of memory to work with.

So DLC and disc maps would still have super sweet lighting from a server farm with all that calculation of light bounces and stuff, while custom maps would more than likely have one light source (the sun) and shadowing would be less accurately modeled but "good enough" for most people.

edit: this is going off the assumption that jumping to a FC-level editor would split map editing into the actual map editor, and then Forge would be just the object editor.

Same here. I managed to avoid the most recent US trailer and have stayed out of the GAF Prometheus thread just in case. Even walked out of the room when a trailer started on TV.

I'm a very spoiler-sensitive person. I absolutely love movies and books that have a big twist at the end.

(Which is why I get very salty at even the hint of a spoiler. I've always avoided any threads about Game of Thrones/ASOIAF but still managed to have the first book's
execution
spoiled - and here on HaloGAF no less! :p)

Overdoziz

Banned
Granted it was Bungie, things could have changed with 343i though. I'll take Frankie word on it though.
4k population being too small for party matching to work sounds like bullshit. Pretty sure Squad Slayer never got those numbers either.

4k population being too small for party matching to work sounds like bullshit. Pretty sure Squad Slayer never got those numbers either.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense.

Team Objective has had party matching for a while now and 45 people are playing it.

Listening to the podcast right now:
-Totally agreed with Ghaleon about co-op netcode. I have no idea how to make it better, but they have to find a way to make that significantly better.
-Very interesting discussion about gamers' "entitlement".
-Jesus, this thing is long!

Is that why you left last night? I thought you just didn't want to play with me. :(
On the contrary! I was excited to play with the Godfather of the Halo Community, but then the universe decided to Game Over me and drop me back to the matchmaking lobby.

I watched some of that. Looked like they had fun and I would definitely watch something like that again in the future.

Those games proved once and for all that the Banshee is utterly broken. When 8 MLG Pros give up a Rampage to one and lose 100-41, it's probably not designed correctly.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone play Megaman 10? Better than 9? I'm in the mood for some XBLA something but I don't know what to get. Not getting Minecraft...

FyreWulff

Yeah that doesn't make any sense.

Team Objective has had party matching for a while now and 45 people are playing it

It doesn't, only Team Doubles and The Arena have party matching. Look for the "Big Party Size: ___" under the playlist's description.

edit: unless they mentioned it in an update somewhere and haven't updated the MM lists-ingame to reflect it

CyReN

\ watched some of that. Looked like they had fun and I would definitely watch something like that again in the future.

Those games proved once and for all that the Banshee is utterly broken. When 8 MLG Pros give up a Rampage to one and lose 100-41, it's probably not designed correctly.

Molly at BTB summed it up:
Banshee isn't imbalanced - they just weren't shooting it with their DMRs. Banshee is weak if you know how to handle it. That being said - Gamesager is the best Banshee pilot in Reach. It's hard for anyone to take him down. But saying the Banshee is unbalanced based on watching him use it would be like saying Sniper is unbalanced by watching Formal use it.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't know. I wanna unlock the extreme levels but when I think about going back and trying to gold those other levels I just get discouraged.
That's why you don't try to gold tracks the first time you play them. I played through each track until I unlocked all tracks. Then I went back and tried to improve my times.

FyreWulff

Molly at BTB summed it up:

Sorry Molly, you're wrong.

When nobody ever has a reason to actually use the Banshee's normal plasma cannons, you know the vehicle is broken. Yes, DMR fire cuts it down. Good fucking luck getting the networking to cooperate because the tricks aren't binded to the boost meter, so people can just spam backflip (which is more of a backloop) over and over while firing the fuel rod shot.

Thing just needs to be deleted from everything that isn't Boneyard. Mr Gamesager barely has any kills with the Banshee on that. Wonder why?

Because Boneyard's design forces the banshee to be somewhat balanced, instead of being able to backflip bomb up in the goddamn clouds of Spire

Homeboyd

Posted by DeeJ:
This Friday, instead of our usual Question/Answer session, I will be giving you a glimpse at life in our studio with a story about something we are doing to herald the return of sunny skies in the Pacific Northwest (this is a metaphor about spring, not the end of darkness).

No end of darkness yet... but a glimmer.

Homeboyd

Wouldn't a glimmer indicate an end of the darkness...
No?

Just depends on whether you think his little story on the studio life is a glimmer or not. I personally will, but you may say "well that was stupid and told me nothing"...

And a glimmer of light in darkness doesn't mean it won't immediately return.

GhaleonEB

Wouldn't a glimmer indicate an end of the darkness...

To follow his metaphor, you can have starts in the glimmering in the sky and it will still be dark.

I read that as Bungie signaling they're about to start re-engaging with their community, the first step to revealing the project, but not to expect them to go open kimono just yet.
No?

Just depends on whether you think his little story on the studio life is a glimmer or not. I personally will, but you may say "well that was stupid and told me nothing"...

I'm guessing we'll be able to tidbit mine; a new shirt or poster or something. Duncan will have to makes some updates.

No?

Thats pretty dark, lighten up bro.

GhaleonEB

So who's the title jab towards? :p

It's not a jab at anyone in particular. It's a reference to the fact that 343's repeated requests for trust - until we've at least played the game - has been met with less than open arms at times around these parts. It's also a reference to a movie I had on my mind at the time a new thread was due.

Homeboyd

Thats pretty dark, lighten up bro.
in-the-dark.gif

Top Bottom