• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

bud
straight
(05-15-2012, 10:36 PM)
when i sing songs, my voice sounds incredibly beautiful; when i record it, however, and play it back, i sound awful.

dammit!
CrazyDude
(05-15-2012, 10:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Cudder

http://www.youtube.com/watcrh?v=eWLW...utu.be&t=1m23s

I have to be doing something wrong. It just sounds like a quite version of the voice I usually hear.
Speevy
(05-15-2012, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Obsessed

I'm hoping this is a joke post.

Everything I have ever posted is deadly serious.
G-Fex
G for Gothic Lolita
(05-15-2012, 10:55 PM)
Yeah when I hear my voices on my videos after broadcasting/streaming it sounds just bad on commentary.

I sound like garfield
Amagon
(05-15-2012, 11:15 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLWO...utu.be&t=1m23s

Chinpoko_Master
(05-15-2012, 11:25 PM)
I hate my voice, but someone recently told me I have a "movie trailer voice."

Not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult, but I still believe the person who told me that is full of shit.
Khalifa Jayy
aka RJNavarrete
(05-15-2012, 11:25 PM)

Originally Posted by bud

when i sing songs, my voice sounds incredibly beautiful; when i record it, however, and play it back, i sound awful.

dammit!

Same here man :/
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(05-15-2012, 11:31 PM)
My voice always seems deeper than I think it is when I hear a recording of myself.
Songbird
Prodigal Son
(05-15-2012, 11:46 PM)
The facts on page one have disturbed me. I really sound like that? I hate my voice like I hate the rest of me.

Could keep my eyes though.
Vilam
Maxis Redwood
(05-16-2012, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by slopeslider

Because you hear your own voice through your head from your vocals chords through your neck and head to your ears, others hear it through from your mouth directly to their ears
It's why it sounds lighter on recordings

That's odd, I perceive my voice as sounding much deeper in recording.
replicashooter
Banned
(05-16-2012, 10:49 AM)

Originally Posted by CrazyDude

I have to be doing something wrong. It just sounds like a quite version of the voice I usually hear.

Were your ears fitted back to front when you were assembled?
KO Traveling Hobo
(05-16-2012, 10:54 AM)
Everyone tells me I have a really cool voice, and I think my voice sounds okay in my head, but when I hear it in a recording it sounds nasally and terrible.
TOM f'N CRUISE
(05-16-2012, 11:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Az

My penis looks bigger in the mirror.

Please tell me that is how women see it.

Please

lol, same here.... but my voive sucks when i hear it
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(05-16-2012, 11:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Sadsic

i have a really high nasally voice in even to myself, so i imagine i sound like some sort of raped parrot to others

Yep, that's me right there.
Fou-Lu
(05-16-2012, 11:49 AM)
What's weird is everyone who has heard my voice recorded says it sounds nothing like me. So I guess I don't know what I actually sound like.

Everyone says I sound almost exactly like my Dad and have a deeper voice than my older brother, but to my own ears they both have much deeper and manlier voices than I, and my recorded voice just sounds like a stoner, more specifically Alex House when he plays Todd in Todd and the Book of Pure Evil.
Last edited by Fou-Lu; 05-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
DonMigs85
(05-16-2012, 11:51 AM)
It's because you hear your own voice reverberating from your throat and stuff.
Fancier explanation here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ound-different
This part was interesting:

Some people have abnormalities of the inner ear that enhance their sensitivity to this component so much that the sound of their own breathing becomes overwhelming, and they may even hear their eyeballs moving in their sockets.

Taiser
(05-16-2012, 11:55 AM)
Fou-Lu
(05-16-2012, 12:00 PM)

Some people have abnormalities of the inner ear that enhance their sensitivity to this component so much that the sound of their own breathing becomes overwhelming, and they may even hear their eyeballs moving in their sockets.

Whew, I'm not the only one then. Fucking eyeballs. Only been able to hear it since my eardrum exploded in the sixth grade.
Vermillion
Member Formerly Known as JokerOfSpades
(05-16-2012, 12:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Khalifa Jayy

Same here man :/

*sigh* Thirded.

Wait, so does that mean that everyone else perceives no difference between your recorded and actual voice?
Ominym
(05-16-2012, 12:11 PM)
But why does it sound different when I chew chips, and when someone else chews chips!?
Dommo
(05-16-2012, 12:25 PM)
I can't fathom how great Morgan Freeman's voice would sound to him.
RevDM
Banned
(05-16-2012, 12:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Speevy

Because people tend to hear their ideal selves when they talk.

Nonsense psychology

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...ent-recordings

Thank you based science.
Dice
(05-16-2012, 12:33 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLWO...utu.be&t=1m23s

Quite different, but I'm not surprised by what I heard. Probably because I've heard myself over stage monitors plenty over the years.
BigDug13
(05-16-2012, 01:01 PM)
Stick your fingers in your ears and talk. That deep voice you hear...that's what you pick up in sound just because the voice is coming from inside you. Eliminate that portion of the sound that you hear by covering your ears, and what you are left with is what everyone else hears, including yourself when listening back from recordings.
Kentpaul
When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
(05-16-2012, 01:05 PM)
Do deaf people hear a voice inside there heads?
Naked Snake
(05-16-2012, 01:43 PM)
Not only does my recorded voice make me cringe to no end like most of you, but to add insult to injury I also have a pretty bad stutter which I usually don't notice when I'm speaking, or at least it sounds nowhere as bad to me as it does when I hear a recording. So yeah listening to myself is one of the most depressing activities I can do.

Strangely though I've had several compliments about my voice on the phone, but it's always from someone who has a crush on me at the time, which invalidates their opinion I guess.
leadbelly
(05-16-2012, 01:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Prologue

My voice sounds a lot deeper actually when I hear a recording. So thats how I actually sound?

I wouldn't say my voice sounds 'a lot' deeper, but it certainly sounds deeper to me on a recording.
Melchiah
(05-16-2012, 08:32 PM)

Originally Posted by slopeslider

Because you hear your own voice through your head from your vocals chords through your neck and head to your ears, others hear it through from your mouth directly to their ears
It's why it sounds lighter on recordings

Really? I always thought mine sounds more darker on a recording.
Last edited by Melchiah; 05-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
GDGF
Soothsayer
(05-16-2012, 08:35 PM)
When I hear myself through myself I sound like Billy Dee Williams.

When I hear myself through a recording I sound like Big Bird.
Baraka in the White House
2-Terms of Kombat
(05-16-2012, 08:37 PM)
I've always had a deep-ish voice but when I hear a recording it sounds cartoonishly deep with a twinge of nerd to it. And I realize that I sometimes talk REALLY fucking fast.

Yeah, hate it.
LoneTraveler
(05-16-2012, 08:41 PM)
I've been told that I have the voice to do voice overs or like radio spots and stuff but whenever I hear my voice through recording, it's cringe inducing at least for me.
KO Traveling Hobo
(05-16-2012, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by LoneTraveler

I've been told that I have the voice to do voice overs or like radio spots and stuff but whenever I hear my voice through recording, it's cringe inducing at least for me.

I know that feel, bro.
Baraka in the White House
2-Terms of Kombat
(05-16-2012, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by LoneTraveler

Same. At work I have to use an intercom from time to time and regularly get told I have radio pipes. I don't hear it.
danwarb
(05-16-2012, 08:51 PM)
It depends on what's used to record it. The better the recording equipment the less strange it sounds. I think the differences stand out more for your own voice.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(05-16-2012, 08:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly Cyclone

I hear Morgan Freeman when I talk, is that normal?

hahah
apana
(05-16-2012, 08:58 PM)
It sounds so deep and clunky in a recording, when to me it always felt light and melodious. Thanks for the thread, I thought I was the only one suffering from tricky voice syndrome.