• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III Spoiler Thread - Solving the Mysteries of the Mighty Barbarians

TURN BACK NOW IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED FOR SPOILERS!

i3pCvfp1KLmeK.png

iZDLGluDbp3io.jpeg

:D

And go! I won't be visiting this thread again until I've finished normal, so don't expect any updates until then.

scy

Just here to thumbs up the mysteries of the Barbarians.

And now bailing out for a day or two!

I'm kind of surprised to see people actually *caring* about the story in Diablo, but it's pretty clearly going in the direction most would have predicted (i.e. open war between heaven and hell, angels as bad guys, etc.). I'm most curious to see how Diablo is somehow resurrected despite Azmodan and Belial's plotting being the main driver of the plot.

Realyn

Just watched some Asia streams on my mobile phone after showering@gym (can it get any more nerdy <3). Act2 still looks like a cakewalk doesn't it ?

raphier

Banned
finally a thread where I can unleash my fury due Diablo-infested Leah.
RHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????1111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh, um. On other hand I shouldn't take diablo so seriously.

I'm kind of surprised to see people actually *caring* about the story in Diablo, but it's pretty clearly going in the direction most would have predicted (i.e. open war between heaven and hell, angels as bad guys, etc.). I'm most curious to see how Diablo is somehow resurrected despite Azmodan and Belial's plotting being the main driver of the plot.

Personally I'm just curious to how many of my theories are confirmed. Leah as diablo was one, and I'm pretty sure Cain is dead, too. What will be interesting to see is confirmation of a theory another gaffer presented to me: what if Belial has been masquerading as Cain this whole time since the star fell? There's no way he could have seriously survived that, right? Right?

By the way - didn't the leaked Blizzard product calendar include TWO expansion packs for Diablo III? I wonder what sort of cliffhanger ending we'll be left with (and which villains will be left alive for the expansions).

bengraven

Saw this on the back of the Order book:

Leah, an eight-year-old girl feared by many to carry a diabolical curse

:/

hayguyz

Banned
Now that we've seen the Diablo model, and it is extremely feminine, can we assume that Leah becomes Diablo just as the wanderer became Diablo in D2?

i hope we can fight corrupted versions of the diablo 2 heroes. got to keep tradition alive.

wouldn't look forward to facing any of them. a Hammerdin or ice sorc? no thanks.

Now that we've seen the Diablo model, and it is extremely feminine, can we assume that Leah becomes Diablo just as the wanderer became Diablo in D2?

I guess. I guess it means Adria slept with the warrior after part one?

Kem0sabe

The way the final CGI plays out, narration and all, it seems like Hell and Demons are gone for good this time, with Men and Angels left behind to make babies to their hearts content happily ever after.

I wonder who you will fight in the expansions, unless they pull another retcon and demons can come back from non-existence.

The way the final CGI plays out, narration and all, it seems like Hell and Demons are gone for good this time, with Men and Angels left behind to make babies to their hearts content happily ever after.

I wonder who you will fight in the expansions, unless they pull another retcon and demons can come back from non-existence.

Side-stories during or before the events of D3. Like what Bioware has said all future games in the Mass Effect universe will be like.

Tacitus_

You can see the black soulstone popping out of Diablo and falling out of the Heavens. I'll bet something crawls out of it.

LowParry

So I wonder with the expansion, we'll set out to go and bring back Leah. They do mention she's a lost soul now. Too bad for Cain :(

I like the story, was presented better than 2 was.

Some things I don't like though;

1. Leah going bye bye :(. Not that I disagree with it, just that I liked the character.

2. Tyreal losing his enigmatic status, becoming a mortal storyline. His sacrifice is commendable but his character was not as appealing to me. Then his break down in act IV was so... ugh.

3. Some trope characters. The angel commander was so obnoxious. The sorceror you resurrected in act 2 was just comedic. The villian laugh and "DONT BETRAY US" being said in nearly every conversation.

4. No references between diablo 2 and 3. There was tons of lore in act 1 about Diablo 1's story but you never saw any of the old heroes. How awesome would have been to run into the necromancer or paladin from d2 or hear the townsfolk/deckard cain talking about the deeds that you did in d2.

Absinthe

Secret "Rainbow Horse" level is on youtube:

[text]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQzJC-vS40&feature=youtu.be[/text]

Sothpaw

Hey we have the dead husk of the Prime Evil. Let's throw it down to earth; what could go wrong?

Really, really fun game though. Most fun I have had with a videogame in years.

RDreamer

So, I'm a little confused about something. I just got through Act III, and I don't get how Diablo's brothers (aside from Azmodan and Belial) were in the Black Soulstone. Were they all in that thing? That seems to be what the game implied...

Tacitus_

4. No references between diablo 2 and 3. There was tons of lore in act 1 about Diablo 1's story but you never saw any of the old heroes. How awesome would have been to run into the necromancer or paladin from d2 or hear the townsfolk/deckard cain talking about the deeds that you did in d2.

You can run into the apprentice of the necromancer in Act 2.

So, I'm a little confused about something. I just got through Act III, and I don't get how Diablo's brothers (aside from Azmodan and Belial) were in the Black Soulstone. Were they all in that thing? That seems to be what the game implied...

Adria somehow trapped them in there. You see something swirling around the soulstone when the wizard is finishing it.

Thoraxes

Yeah my only two complaints were the mortalization and cheese of Tyrael, and no more Leah (;_;).

It's like there's no more characters to grasp onto in terms of memorability besides him now that Cain is gone, outside of Tyrael. But he's no longer the badass he once was.

I still liked it and it's presentation though. The game and story was a ton of fun, I thought the story was decent, and the cutscenes on bluray are baller as hell.

I wish act IV was longer though.

Just finished normal now. So my opinion on the story is not that it's necessarily cliché, but pretty much everything was predictable from a mile away if you were at all familiar with the lore previously, and had learned about any story-related info during development. So in that way, kind of disappointing (for me). The story is well done though, and polished to hell and back.

I'm curious as to where this leaves us for expansion content though. All the evils seem pretty much done for now, as opposed to D1 and D2.

And Leah and Cain ;_;

EDIT: Just remembered/realized that Adria is still at large, so that's one villain at least.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
how long does it take to run through this game once, solo? if you're being all quick about it.

Thoraxes

how long does it take to run through this game once, solo? if you're being all quick about it.

Took me about 7-8 hours, but I work quick. Probably closer to 12-15 depending on newness to franchise. If you explore a lot, even way more.

Like many will say, multiple playthroughs is key, but if you're saving it for multiplayer, that's cool too.

Raide

The Butcher was really awesome when he appeared. Felt like an old friend. :D

Sad to see Cain go but he was getting old. Good to see Leah take up that mantle but then turn into Diablo and get MonkPunched.

Act 3 was the most epic for me. Some of those battles were massive and it felt awesome speeding through the battle and exploding everything in my path.

Just finished normal now. So my opinion on the story is not that it's necessarily cliché, but pretty much everything was predictable from a mile away if you were at all familiar with the lore previously, and had learned about any story-related info during development. So in that way, kind of disappointing (for me). The story is well done though, and polished to hell and back.

I'm curious as to where this leaves us for expansion content though. All the evils seem pretty much done for now, as opposed to D1 and D2.

And Leah and Cain ;_;

EDIT: Just remembered/realized that Adria is still at large, so that's one villain at least.

Don't forget that Imperius is seriously pissed at you for...well...existing. And he hasn't yet fallen as has been greatly foreshadowed (Wrath). I anticipate Imperius giving the big middle finger to the Angiris Council now that they've accepted a human Tyrael back into their ranks and taking some angels that agree with him to war on humanity because he hates them or something. It'll be good to beat up on angels for a change, I was honestly a little disappointed that I could only fight corrupted angels in act 4.

The Butcher was really awesome when he appeared. Felt like an old friend. :D

Sad to see Cain go but he was getting old. Good to see Leah take up that mantle but then turn into Diablo and get MonkPunched.

Act 3 was the most epic for me. Some of those battles were massive and it felt awesome speeding through the battle and exploding everything in my path.

Yeah Act 3 was by far the most epic...HUGE battles FTW!

NeXuSDK

Did anybody else feel like the story was more or less Diablo 2 all over again?

Act 1: Tristram area with dark woods and cathedral - just like Diablo 2's act 1
Act 2: Desert and the like, just like Diablo 2's act 2
Act 3: Nothern highlands, out on the battlefield, just like Diablo 2's expansion
Act 4: Up in the heavens, a little similar to Diablo 2's act 4 - but also the must different.

I would have loved to go to completely new places that has not yet been explored in the Diablo universe.

TheYanger

Act 3: Nothern highlands, out on the battlefield, just like Diablo 2's expansion
Act 4: Up in the heavens, a little similar to Diablo 2's act 4 - but also the must different.

I would have loved to go to completely new places that has not yet been explored in the Diablo universe.

Everyone I've talked to about the game felt this way, yes.
It (and the shitty loot distribution) is one of the only complaints I have about the game. It could have been far more bold in terms of locations without being a total retread of past ground. Yeah, I liked Lut Gholein and the sewers and the desert, I don't need to do them AGAIN.
Yeah, Izual was memorable. I don't need to fight him AGAIN.
Oh shit the Arreat summit! name dropping like crazy! oh...this is like doing the bloody foothills all over again.

Wasted opportunity here. Story was stupid as fuck too, but I didn't really expect anything from it. D2's story was simplistic as well but it was told in a much more striking fashion thanks to marius.

NeXuSDK

Everyone I've talked to about the game felt this way, yes.
It (and the shitty loot distribution) is one of the only complaints I have about the game. It could have been far more bold in terms of locations without being a total retread of past ground. Yeah, I liked Lut Gholein and the sewers and the desert, I don't need to do them AGAIN.
Yeah, Izual was memorable. I don't need to fight him AGAIN.
Oh shit the Arreat summit! name dropping like crazy! oh...this is like doing the bloody foothills all over again.

Wasted opportunity here. Story was stupid as fuck too, but I didn't really expect anything from it. D2's story was simplistic as well but it was told in a much more striking fashion thanks to marius.

Agreed.

About loot, I've had one legendary item only so far. For a barbarian. I'm a demon hunter.

Just slayed King Leoric on Nightmare. Reward? Three magic items... not even a single rare!

I feel the same way re: retreading D2, but in a positive way. After a decade I feel like it's less of a "come up with something new man" and more of a "this whole game feels like an homage". Not what everyone necessarily wanted, but definitely felt like homage after homage.

If the expansion is a jungle region though I'm gonna be pissed. Thankfully they decided to ignore that part.

NeXuSDK

I feel the same way re: retreading D2, but in a positive way. After a decade I feel like it's less of a "come up with something new man" and more of a "this whole game feels like an homage". Not what everyone necessarily wanted, but definitely felt like homage after homage.

If the expansion is a jungle region though I'm gonna be pissed. Thankfully they decided to ignore that part.

Yes, it's been a long time since Diablo 2... but it's the damn sequel. I understand if you start paying homage a couple of releases down the road. For example if a Diablo 4 did homage to Diablo 1. But in the way that Diablo 3 paid homage to Diablo 2... in that magnitude... it almost, just almost feels like Blizzard has been robbed of creativity or maybe just bravery to explore new areas.

And start spitting out some legendary items, god dammit! :D

Yes, it's been a long time since Diablo 2... but it's the damn sequel. I understand if you start paying homage a couple of releases down the road. For example if a Diablo 4 did homage to Diablo 1. But in the way that Diablo 3 paid homage to Diablo 2... in that magnitude... it almost, just almost feels like Blizzard has been robbed of creativity or maybe just bravery to explore new areas.

And start spitting out some legendary items, god dammit! :D

I hear you on this. I'm kind of excite to see what settings they cook up for the expansions. We'll probably have to go back to hell at some point, but there are so many locations we haven't been to on that map! What about westmarch, for example. More places, more dungeons, I want more more more!

(oh and more legendaries too, yeah. I had one drop in act 4, but still)

K.Sabot

What happened to Leah's mother?

Diablo was all like "GO AND I WILL CALL ON YOU WHEN I NEED YOU"

and Tyrael was all like "WE WILL SEE HER AGAIN"

but then I never saw her again.

Loose end or did I miss some dumb sidequest?

Raide

Lined up for Expansion pack no doubt.

Eh, she'll probably do something like get Andariel and Duriel (the other two remaining Prime Evils) trapped in the stone or something like that.

Also, they could probably bring Lilith into the story I guess.

Top Bottom