• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

Maybe it's 100% cel shaded...
With this art style.

QjPFf.jpg

They've shown CoD in their conferences a few times, actually.
They just don't dedicate 20+ minutes to it.

Or maybe...
UGVCz.jpg

I think if that happens that is the new froggy. Bleuh

test_account

XP-39C²
Why all the hate over that IGN poll btw? Is it a "my opinion is much better than their opinion" kinda thing? It is a simple poll where people votes what they are most excisted about, which is completely opinion based. One dont have to agree of course, but i dont see why there is hate/mocking around it.

Wait, IGN is part of NewsCorp?

Sorry for bringing politics into this, but my opinion of IGN just shot significantly lower.

As of 2005.

Why all the hate over that IGN poll btw? Is it a "my opinion is much better than their opinion" kinda thing? It is a simple poll where people votes what they are most excisted about, which is completely opinion based.

Most of them want more coverage on better graphics.
What does that even mean?

Why all the hate over that IGN poll btw? Is it a "my opinion is much better than their opinion" kinda thing? It is a simple poll where people votes what they are most excisted about, which is completely opinion based.

The results are kinda disappointing, or don't really make much sense. GTA will be a non-presence, Microsoft are probably going to have the same conference as the last 2 years, there's going to be no PS4 news... it just seems like it was voted for by people who don't really know what they were talking about.

All I know is that it's not supposed to be an existing IP and that it targets the PS360 crowd. Metroid x Star Fox doesn't fit that. And with it supposedly not being an existing IP, a new one is the only logical solution.

Apparently if you have the new Call of Duty demoed at your show, you "win".

I know someone who always tried to convince me how great the MS conferences were the last years because he's so crazy about any new Halo and whatnot, while downplaying anything Nintendo (even 2010).
I thought he was a lone individual in that regard, but I underestimated the people that hang around at IGN. Or rather I try to forget that this site exists in the first place (Why r you people even posting their shit constantly here -_-)

TheNatural

My Member!
In this last gen especially, it has become a bit of a 3rd-party entitlement that hardware makers help foot the cost on things like marketing, publishing, or just platform exclusivity.

The source of this entitlement is spurred by trying to subsidize rising production costs, which most developers will never admit to, or change by doing something smart and scaling back.

With Epic saying that "they want to drag the industry into the next generation", I don't think many have learned their lesson.

The games I'm mentioning though, don't seem to have any of those tie ins. I think the exclusivity stuff is nearly dead outside of DLC, moving forward to retailer exclusive bonuses.

And with so many third parties failing, this is on their own business plan being destroyed than anything else.

I mean, it's really pretty simple to predict and decide what games to bring to a Nintendo system to make money. You have three generations of Nintendo consoles now to go back on and extrapolate date from to decide what types of games do well. Ever since the SNES days, Nintendo has been pretty similar in third party support and audience, so companies should be going back and looking at what games succeeded and failed and follow up on it.

Perfect example is THQ having a good thing going co-developing wrestling games on Nintendo platforms vs. everything else. The AKI games on N64 and follow ups with a similar team on Gamecube sold great. So what did they do? The AXED that version and decided to push a poor ported game from the other versions. Then they wondered why it failed. They had a whole engine set up on Gamecube with these games, and a very popular studio under their wing during the N64 era for these games, so their response was to cut both. Great move.

If these companies would actually look at what they're doing and look at history, they would see where they're going wrong. Versions of your super popular games should be on as many platforms as you can get, especially when you have the game made and ready. Saints Row 3 is done, it sold great, and all they have to do is port it. Instead, they're porting versions of less popular games.

In addition to that, they should look to the past to see what succeeded and why. Sonic should be mandatory on any Nintendo system, along with any mascot type games. Tony Hawk did great on the Gamecube as I recall, it would do fine with that type of game in that environment. Need for Speed: Most Wanted would fit well in that environment - they could have made a picture perfect port of the PS2 original onto the Wii and it would have did great, instead they expended more money and effort making a budget shovelware game instead of porting a good previous game.

This isn't rocket science, if they would get their head out of their asses there is money to be made on any system. Instead they rather just point the finger to rising development costs, piracy, used games, or whatever the scapegoat of the month is.

7threst

Why all the hate over that IGN poll btw? Is it a "my opinion is much better than their opinion" kinda thing? It is a simple poll where people votes what they are most excisted about, which is completely opinion based. One dont have to agree of course, but i dont see why there is hate/mocking around it.

Still it's a bit of a strange poll when a new Nintendo console is coming out and we know next to nothing about a new PS/Xbox.

test_account

XP-39C²
The results are kinda disappointing, or don't really make much sense. GTA will be a non-presence, Microsoft are probably going to have the same conference as the last 2 years, there's going to be no PS4 news... it just seems like it was voted for by people who don't really know what they were talking about.
Yeah, i agree that there isnt exactly much "exciting" things on that poll. But i dont see any reason for people to have a downward tone against the result or IGN because of this :) At least that is how i read some of the comments, but i had to ask to be sure i didnt have misunderstood anything.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Just got up and read the Paul Gale rumor, which is making me feel...

gGips.jpg

The idea is outright bizarro. How the heck would you not end up with watered down versions of both gameplay styles in a project like that? Its reminding me with what happened with Rogue Leader 3 - Rebel Strikes addition of on foot/ground based missions.

The one thing that would make more since to me is that there are no actual on foot metroid missions and instead Samus' ship is a playable option in a StarFox game as a cute little bonus for fans.

TheNatural

My Member!
Just got up and read the Paul Gale rumor, which is making me feel...

gGips.jpg

The idea is outright bizarro. How the heck would you not end up with watered down versions of both gameplay styles in a project like that? Its reminding me with what happened with Rogue Leader 3 - Rebel Strikes addition of on foot/ground based missions.

The one thing that would make more since to me is that there are no actual on foot metroid missions and instead Samus' ship is a playable option in a StarFox game as a cute little bonus for fans.

Use the tablet for Starfox team to coordinate ground strikes from the air onto the ground for Samus on the TV.

Imagine what could Retro do with the call of Duty license.

Is it possibe for Nintendo to buy the license for one exclusive game, to be developed internally by there own?

Possible? Yes.
Likely? Not in a billion years. At least, not for Call of Duty.
Time Splitters, however...

test_account

XP-39C²
Still it's a bit of a strange poll when a new Nintendo console is coming out and we know next to nothing about a new PS/Xbox.
I think maybe that is why people are more curious about it, since we know nothing about it. But unfortunately we dont know how the percentage split is though. It might have been fairly close between WiiU, PS4 and Xbox 720.

methodman

Banned
Imagine what could Retro do with the call of Duty license.

Is it possibe for Nintendo to buy the license for one exclusive game, to be developed internally by there own?

Please god, no. If Retro wants to make a shooter in the CoD, or Battlefield mode, they can do so with a new IP. But I hope they do not make that type of game.

I know someone who always tried to convince me how great the MS conferences were the last years because he's so crazy about any new Halo and whatnot, while downplaying anything Nintendo (even 2010).
I thought he was a lone individual in that regard, but I underestimated the people that hang around at IGN. Or rather I try to forget that this site exists in the first place (Why r you people even posting their shit constantly here -_-)

I can't think of any other possible reason, because MS's show has been downright dreadful the past few years. Unless people think that's reason to think they are due for a good showing (ala 2010 Nintendo after a couple of really terrible shows).

I mean, my expectations for Microsoft are easily the lowest of the Big 3 this year. So they certainly have the most potential to surprise me, but to actually expect them to deliver something great is nonsensical.

Nilaul

Please god, no. If Retro wants to make a shooter in the CoD, or Battlefield mode, they can do so with a new IP. But I hope they do not make that type of game.

It could be a good marketing move, they could take call of duty into another completely different direction, with a non bullshit story. Make gamers carve for that verzon of Call of Duty. It would be just named call of the duty: Something. Then the follow up would be called Something 2. So in essence they would be creating a new IP for them self.

What if it turns out to be an awesome game?
meh I don't even think it's physically possible to have an action oriented FPS that is awesome. They've all been done a thousand times over in every possible variation, it would take some sort of weird unimaginable miracle to make it like that. It's just a bad idea to me. Leave that to the EAs and Activisions.

I don't mind FPS, but make it original if you're gonna do it, like Metroid Prime was when it came out, or the first Bioshock, or Portal. Or better yet just don't make an FPS at all :p

Linkhero1

Shouldn't Retro get the benefit of the doubt in any game they make becoming awesome? Just preference of game types IMO.

Not really. It could turn out to be total shiteee.

meh I don't even think it's physically possible to have an action oriented FPS that is awesome. They've all been done a thousand times over in every possible variation, it would take some sort of weird unimaginable miracle to make it like that. It's just a bad idea to me. Leave that to the EAs and Activisions.

I don't mind FPS, but make it original if you're gonna do it, like Metroid Prime was when it came out, or the first Bioshock, or Portal. Or better yet just don't make an FPS at all :p

I feel ya. I'd rather have something new and not along the lines of CoD or Battlefield myself.

Anyways, if I recall correctly Nintendo has stated that they want to leave those type of FPS to western third parties. If Retro ends up making a FPS title then it will probably be something along the lines of TimeSplitters 2 or Team Fortress 2, I would hope.

Nilaul

How about an FPS where you actually have to shoot a bullet to beat it xD :p (A stab at new CODs)

jacksrb

Serious question here: why are third parties so damn retarded with the game choices they make on what to bring to a new platform?

Perfect example is this talk of the Aliens game. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, it might be actually pretty good. But isn't from the same exact developer, coming Borderlands 2 in the fall? Probably as a game franchise, one that has a lot more notoriety?

I could say the same about companies like THQ and Ubi Soft. Instead of the new Future Soldier game or whatever, Ubi Soft is bringing over a version of a free to play PC game? THQ is bring Darksiders 2 over. It's best selling original game franchise is Saints Row, and they just had a new one come out last year and have an expansion to that game coming out this fall. Did it ever occur to them to, I don't know, maybe bring THAT GAME over in a GOTY edition for Wii U?

This is the same shit that happened with the Wii. Rockstar brought a Bully port over, and fucking Manhunt 2 and wondered why it didn't sell. You could have expended LESS effort to made an upgraded port or collection of the old GTA games for Wii and sold a TON more.

This is the sort of logic that seems to escape these companies, then they wonder why their bottom line is atrocious. Look at last year, Sonic fits Nintendo systems like a glove - but they made a new Sonic game and it didn't even come out on Wii because apparently in it's design stage it wouldn't fit the power of the Wii. So you're telling me your design was so closed that you intentionally cut off your best selling version of the game and didn't have that in mind when you made it?

The lunacy just boggles the mind. It's amazing to me how horrible the planning is for these companies that they just need to move their fingers to make a successful game on the console, and instead they chop off their arm.

Well, a couple of thoughts.

1. Both games are for different publishers (Aliens is SEGA and Borderlands 2 is 2K IIRC).
2. I could be a (unfortunate) coincidence that they are finishing and launching at the same time.

I do wonder the same thing though. Both games are really different, so maybe it will work out well for them.

I feel ya. I'd rather have something new and not along the lines of CoD or Battlefield myself.

Anyways, if I recall correctly Nintendo has stated that they want to leave those type of FPS to western third parties. If Retro ends up making a FPS title then it will probably be something along the lines of TimeSplitters 2 or Team Fortress 2, I would hope.
Maybe something more like Doom or Quake; heavily level-themed instead of linear setpiece-themed?

The MS exclusive deal with CoD ends this year, so Nintendo could try to jump in and grab the right away.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo got in there, Ms probably think the job is done establishing 360 as the cod console so may not be prepared to pay so much again and Nintendo could obviously see the benefit to them

Nilaul

Maybe something more like Doom or Quake; heavily level-themed instead of linear setpiece-themed?

Yes, something were depending on the outcome of the battle the next level changes. Every battle has a consequence.

So if it was set in world war 2, if you fail to defend the coast the Nazis come to attack England. Next level takes place in England. So you have alternatives histories happening.

Linkhero1

Fuck FPS, I'm hoping they're working on an FPA. Gimmie my open world FPA and I'll be content with just that one game for the entire generation.

Fuck FPS, I'm hoping they're working on an FPA. Gimmie my open world FPA and I'll be content with just that one game for the entire generation.

I was going to say games Skyrim and Fallout (like discussed last night if I remember correctly) works for the same type of crowd. Not saying that's what it is, but we shouldn't necessarily limit the possibility to being a FPS.

HylianTom

Banned
Yes! I'd love a great, huge world to explore.. let me choose my skills, my outfit, my weapon. If they want to set it in 12AD, 1200AD, 1850AD, 1982AD, or 2350AD.. so be it!

If they want to do their own take on wRPGs, that'd be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom