• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AceBandage
Banned
(05-19-2012, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Nilaul

Imagine what could Retro do with the call of Duty license.

Is it possibe for Nintendo to buy the license for one exclusive game, to be developed internally by there own?

Possible? Yes.
Likely? Not in a billion years. At least, not for Call of Duty.
Time Splitters, however...
test_account
XP-39Cē
(05-19-2012, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by 7threst

Still it's a bit of a strange poll when a new Nintendo console is coming out and we know next to nothing about a new PS/Xbox.

I think maybe that is why people are more curious about it, since we know nothing about it. But unfortunately we dont know how the percentage split is though. It might have been fairly close between WiiU, PS4 and Xbox 720.
Sadist
I'm still hoping Retro's project isn't a shooter. Would make me sad man.
walking fiend
John Harker has the best avatar around all of internet forums, just saying...
TheNatural
My Member!

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Possible? Yes.
Likely? Not in a billion years. At least, not for Call of Duty.
Time Splitters, however...

No company would buy the rights to a fringe FPS franchise who's last game was almost 10 years ago. They would just make their own.
AceBandage
Banned
(05-19-2012, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Sadist

I'm still hoping Retro's project isn't a shooter. Would make me sad man.

There will likely be shooting elements, but I'm better on a more adventure type game.

Originally Posted by walking fiend

John Harker has the best avatar around all of internet forums, just saying...

His No More Heroes avatar was better.
methodman

Imagine what could Retro do with the call of Duty license.

Is it possibe for Nintendo to buy the license for one exclusive game, to be developed internally by there own?

Please god, no. If Retro wants to make a shooter in the CoD, or Battlefield mode, they can do so with a new IP. But I hope they do not make that type of game.
-Pyromaniac-
Still gonna face palm if Retro makes an action oriented FPS.
Kjellson
(05-19-2012, 08:46 PM)
So the Retro game is either a new IP or Metroid x Star Fox? It's just like Russian roulette.
TheBigG753

Originally Posted by Spieler Eins

I know someone who always tried to convince me how great the MS conferences were the last years because he's so crazy about any new Halo and whatnot, while downplaying anything Nintendo (even 2010).
I thought he was a lone individual in that regard, but I underestimated the people that hang around at IGN. Or rather I try to forget that this site exists in the first place (Why r you people even posting their shit constantly here -_-)

I can't think of any other possible reason, because MS's show has been downright dreadful the past few years. Unless people think that's reason to think they are due for a good showing (ala 2010 Nintendo after a couple of really terrible shows).

I mean, my expectations for Microsoft are easily the lowest of the Big 3 this year. So they certainly have the most potential to surprise me, but to actually expect them to deliver something great is nonsensical.
methodman

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

Would rather have Star Fox X Metroid over an action FPS in the COD ilk.
Linkhero1
(05-19-2012, 08:47 PM)

What if it turns out to be an awesome game?
Nilaul
(05-19-2012, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by methodman

Please god, no. If Retro wants to make a shooter in the CoD, or Battlefield mode, they can do so with a new IP. But I hope they do not make that type of game.

It could be a good marketing move, they could take call of duty into another completely different direction, with a non bullshit story. Make gamers carve for that verzon of Call of Duty. It would be just named call of the duty: Something. Then the follow up would be called Something 2. So in essence they would be creating a new IP for them self.
methodman
(05-19-2012, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Linkhero1

Shouldn't Retro get the benefit of the doubt in any game they make becoming awesome? Just preference of game types IMO.
SolidSnakex
(05-19-2012, 08:49 PM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Even nabbing exclusive marketing rights from ms would do wonders for wii u

The MS exclusive deal with CoD ends this year, so Nintendo could try to jump in and grab the right away.
-Pyromaniac-

meh I don't even think it's physically possible to have an action oriented FPS that is awesome. They've all been done a thousand times over in every possible variation, it would take some sort of weird unimaginable miracle to make it like that. It's just a bad idea to me. Leave that to the EAs and Activisions.

I don't mind FPS, but make it original if you're gonna do it, like Metroid Prime was when it came out, or the first Bioshock, or Portal. Or better yet just don't make an FPS at all :P
Nilaul

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

The MS exclusive deal with CoD ends this year, so Nintendo could try to jump in and grab the right away.

What deal?
Linkhero1
(05-19-2012, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by methodman

Shouldn't Retro get the benefit of the doubt in any game they make becoming awesome? Just preference of game types IMO.

Not really. It could turn out to be total shiteee.

meh I don't even think it's physically possible to have an action oriented FPS that is awesome. They've all been done a thousand times over in every possible variation, it would take some sort of weird unimaginable miracle to make it like that. It's just a bad idea to me. Leave that to the EAs and Activisions.

I don't mind FPS, but make it original if you're gonna do it, like Metroid Prime was when it came out, or the first Bioshock, or Portal. Or better yet just don't make an FPS at all :P

I feel ya. I'd rather have something new and not along the lines of CoD or Battlefield myself.

Anyways, if I recall correctly Nintendo has stated that they want to leave those type of FPS to western third parties. If Retro ends up making a FPS title then it will probably be something along the lines of TimeSplitters 2 or Team Fortress 2, I would hope.
-Pyromaniac-
(05-19-2012, 08:50 PM)

What deal?

they get all the DLC maps first

IMO Microsofts exclusive marketing deal with activision is more beneficial than that.
Nilaul
(05-19-2012, 08:52 PM)

How about an FPS where you actually have to shoot a bullet to beat it xD :P (A stab at new CODs)
jacksrb
(05-19-2012, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by TheNatural

Serious question here: why are third parties so damn retarded with the game choices they make on what to bring to a new platform?

Perfect example is this talk of the Aliens game. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, it might be actually pretty good. But isn't from the same exact developer, coming Borderlands 2 in the fall? Probably as a game franchise, one that has a lot more notoriety?

I could say the same about companies like THQ and Ubi Soft. Instead of the new Future Soldier game or whatever, Ubi Soft is bringing over a version of a free to play PC game? THQ is bring Darksiders 2 over. It's best selling original game franchise is Saints Row, and they just had a new one come out last year and have an expansion to that game coming out this fall. Did it ever occur to them to, I don't know, maybe bring THAT GAME over in a GOTY edition for Wii U?

This is the same shit that happened with the Wii. Rockstar brought a Bully port over, and fucking Manhunt 2 and wondered why it didn't sell. You could have expended LESS effort to made an upgraded port or collection of the old GTA games for Wii and sold a TON more.

This is the sort of logic that seems to escape these companies, then they wonder why their bottom line is atrocious. Look at last year, Sonic fits Nintendo systems like a glove - but they made a new Sonic game and it didn't even come out on Wii because apparently in it's design stage it wouldn't fit the power of the Wii. So you're telling me your design was so closed that you intentionally cut off your best selling version of the game and didn't have that in mind when you made it?

The lunacy just boggles the mind. It's amazing to me how horrible the planning is for these companies that they just need to move their fingers to make a successful game on the console, and instead they chop off their arm.

Well, a couple of thoughts.

1. Both games are for different publishers (Aliens is SEGA and Borderlands 2 is 2K IIRC).
2. I could be a (unfortunate) coincidence that they are finishing and launching at the same time.

I do wonder the same thing though. Both games are really different, so maybe it will work out well for them.
Shadow Hog
(05-19-2012, 08:54 PM)

I feel ya. I'd rather have something new and not along the lines of CoD or Battlefield myself.

Anyways, if I recall correctly Nintendo has stated that they want to leave those type of FPS to western third parties. If Retro ends up making a FPS title then it will probably be something along the lines of TimeSplitters 2 or Team Fortress 2, I would hope.

Maybe something more like Doom or Quake; heavily level-themed instead of linear setpiece-themed?
frankie_baby
(05-19-2012, 08:55 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo got in there, Ms probably think the job is done establishing 360 as the cod console so may not be prepared to pay so much again and Nintendo could obviously see the benefit to them
Nilaul
(05-19-2012, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Shadow Hog

Maybe something more like Doom or Quake; heavily level-themed instead of linear setpiece-themed?

Yes, something were depending on the outcome of the battle the next level changes. Every battle has a consequence.

So if it was set in world war 2, if you fail to defend the coast the Nazis come to attack England. Next level takes place in England. So you have alternatives histories happening.
Last edited by Nilaul; 05-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Linkhero1
(05-19-2012, 08:58 PM)
Fuck FPS, I'm hoping they're working on an FPA. Gimmie my open world FPA and I'll be content with just that one game for the entire generation.
bgassassin
(05-19-2012, 09:02 PM)

Fuck FPS, I'm hoping they're working on an FPA. Gimmie my open world FPA and I'll be content with just that one game for the entire generation.

I was going to say games Skyrim and Fallout (like discussed last night if I remember correctly) works for the same type of crowd. Not saying that's what it is, but we shouldn't necessarily limit the possibility to being a FPS.
HylianTom
would totally do this old lady if his wife were guaranteed not to find out.
(05-19-2012, 09:04 PM)

Yes! I'd love a great, huge world to explore.. let me choose my skills, my outfit, my weapon. If they want to set it in 12AD, 1200AD, 1850AD, 1982AD, or 2350AD.. so be it!

If they want to do their own take on wRPGs, that'd be fantastic.
TunaLover

Originally Posted by bgassassin

All I know is that it's not supposed to be an existing IP and that it targets the PS360 crowd. Metroid x Star Fox doesn't fit that. And with it supposedly not being an existing IP, a new one is the only logical solution.

This come from beyond 3d forums? Any reason why this rumor has more credibility than Paul Gale one?
AceBandage
Banned

I was going to say games Skyrim and Fallout (like discussed last night if I remember correctly) works for the same type of crowd. Not saying that's what it is, but we shouldn't necessarily limit the possibility to being a FPS.

Like I said before, I think they'll follow Uncharted more than they'll follow Call of Duty.
Except more fantasy or sci-fi.
Shadow Hog
Maybe we could go somewhere in the middle and make a game like Powerslave?
Franchuzas87
(05-19-2012, 09:06 PM)

All I know is that it's not supposed to be an existing IP and that it targets the PS360 crowd. Metroid x Star Fox doesn't fit that. And with it supposedly not being an existing IP, a new one is the only logical solution.

So... FPS/TPS confirmed? It's definitely what better fits with that.
Spieler Eins
(05-19-2012, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by TheBigG753

I can't think of any other possible reason, because MS's show has been downright dreadful the past few years. Unless people think that's reason to think they are due for a good showing (ala 2010 Nintendo after a couple of really terrible shows).

I mean, my expectations for Microsoft are easily the lowest of the Big 3 this year. So they certainly have the most potential to surprise me, but to actually expect them to deliver something great is nonsensical.

It's even more curious since even the guys at Gametrailers, including the (for whatever reason) so popular Pachter have hardly anything good to say about MS.

I just hope it's an adventure, my preferences for 2D/3D, first/third person, subgenre, etc. come secondary. Some FPS, Starfox and stuff like that could still make their amazing art direction shine, but their talent for proper level design would probably be wasted, while there's certainly better (and proven) partners for such projects.
Oddduck
(05-19-2012, 09:07 PM)
The one thing ties Metroid and Star Fox together is: Both franchises involve space traveling to distant planets.

And to me, that single idea could make this game one of the most ambitious games ever.
bgassassin
(05-19-2012, 09:08 PM)
@ Tunafish - Yes.

And here is the Iwata quote from Iwata under A 4-2 talking about not wanting to see all games become FPS.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stoc...0629qa/02.html

However, I do not think that the Wii U will be in widespread use all over the world only with Nintendo software. Currently, in the western countries especially, war-themed gun-shooting games, which are not well-received in Japan, are very popular. It is a reality that some of these games sell 10 million units per year in those markets, and this is one valid type of video game genre. I would personally feel sad if all video games became something like that, but on the other hand, I do not think such games should disappear. Both (Nintendo software for everyone and gun-shooting games) are video games, so our aim for the Wii U is for it to be a console where various people can enjoy what they want to enjoy at their own discretion. Therefore, we have been talking to major overseas software publishers who are good at developing such games, and through our communication, we have received very positive comments from them (on the development on the Wii U). So we believe such software publishers will proactively develop software for the Wii U, and we think we can dispel the concerns you mentioned earlier by the time of its launch.

AceBandage
Banned
(05-19-2012, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Oddduck

The one thing ties Metroid and Star Fox together is: Both franchises involve space traveling to distant planets.

And to me, that single idea could make this game one of the most ambitious games ever.

Nintendo's take on Mass Effect?
Hmmm...
AceBandage
Banned
(05-19-2012, 09:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

Do we have sticks?

https://twitter.com/#!/MATTYB00SH/st...39010610085888

Oh shite.

And it looks like the Home button lights up as well?
bgassassin

Do we have sticks?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shadyspace
OMG
Shadow Hog

Do we have sticks?

Ah, they reimplemented the offset of the buttons/DPad. I might be able to feasibly reach them, now.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
OMG! is that real?

More importantly Start + Select being moved, there is a god?
NateDrake
Woot woot sticks are back! Looks like the guy is a QA Tester at TT Games, so it must be real, right?
The Main Event

Do we have sticks?

Looks like it!!!
Smellycat
(05-19-2012, 09:14 PM)
whaaaaaaaaaaaat
Oddduck

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Nintendo's take on Mass Effect?
Hmmm...

It's possible.

Ya know, I always thought the best way to do Star Fox is this:

I was thinking about how Smash Bros is all about bringing different Nintendo characters together.

The ability for Star Fox to travel to different planets and meet different Nintendo characters on each planet opens up lots of possibilities. Kind of like how in Kingdom hearts, you can meet different Disney characters in different worlds based on Disney movie themes.
Spieler Eins

Do we have sticks?

YES??!?
What's going on, where's this from, holy shit
BY2K
Membero Americo
MEGATON!
Sandfox

Do we have sticks?

sweet!
shadyspace
That is definitely real.
-Pyromaniac-
Nintendo...you make me so proud sometimes. Bless the sticks.