• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by abstract alien

I still want my notification light to notify me when I have game invites/messages while my system is powered down.

That's a cool idea. Maybe have a setting where it plays a notification sound as well.
BurntPork
Banned
(05-20-2012, 05:29 AM)
Next week, 01net returns from the grave and leaks something big.
Cramoss
(05-20-2012, 05:29 AM)

Originally Posted by BY2K

Also, analog triggers.

The way it should always be.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(05-20-2012, 05:30 AM)
fusion saga sounds like the attempt to make a new brand

mario - sonic: fusion saga
TheGreatMightyPoo
(05-20-2012, 05:31 AM)

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Rayman-Boogerman
Gravijah

i'm sorry to tell you this but you share this thought with neiteio.

i'm sorry.
Linkhero1

Originally Posted by TheExplodingHead

It's not that easy to copy XBL, that kind of infrastructure/service/support and is built up over time, man hours and lots and lots of cash. If it was that easy Sony would have copied it years ago, think about it. :P

Well if Nintendo was going to do online themselves then I would generally have to agree, but since they're working with outside sources for their online infrastructure and are listening to third parties, then I can see it happening.

Here's a good post by bg that gives us some insight on what we can expect from the Wii U's online service. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2659
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.

Originally Posted by Gravijah

i'm sorry to tell you this but you share this thought with neiteio.

i'm sorry.

who
TheExplodingHead
Banned
(05-20-2012, 05:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Izick

Touche, but I just mean the basic meat and potatoes concepts.

-gamertags
-friends lists that are easy to navigate
-dash that can be brought up in-game
-easy invite system
-easy group chat
-little profiles (picture, real name, bio, motto)
-list friends' games played (kind of like when you compare achievements)

I'm excited because MS did all this with X amount of RAM allotted to it, and then I keep hearing Nintendo is going to have a lot more dedicated to the OS, so the possibilities are limitless. (Sorry I don't know real numbers, I have a shitty memory.)

Throw full integration of FB/YT and maybe a cool DVR function and we'll be in business.

But I also think Nintendo needs to get right another thing Sony forgot about, which is they need that online MP killer app Day 1. If they can snag that one or two games that light the gaming world on fire which take full advantage of Nintendo's online they'll be on a great path for the service. I nominate one of those games as Smash HD Trilogy Online, also a exclusive online Indie title. Between those and the next CoD, they should do just fine during the launch window.

Originally Posted by bgassassin

Sony was also "the king of the world" and prioritized other things over online.

Yeah. Didn't work out too well for them in the end prioritizing expensive idiosyncratic hardware, pretty games and the "me too code" over a equally competitive online service. But to be fair MS had a gen head start, and no matter how Sony prioritized they were never going to beat XBL feature-for-feature or overall. I'm actually quite impressed how far they've brought PSN up to speed, minus the momentary security holes.
Last edited by TheExplodingHead; 05-20-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Gravijah
(05-20-2012, 05:32 AM)

who

i'm sorry.
JJConrad
Sucks at viral marketing
(05-20-2012, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by BurntPork

GAF when it had sliders: "Stupid Nintendo, choosing aesthetics over function..."

GAF now: "TOO MUCH SPACE THIS IS UGLY"

Most of the people complaining about the old design were never going to be satisfied by the new design. But for many who had genuine concerns, this redesign doesn't really address many of those. For those who thought it was too bulky (and bulkiness is both an aesthetics and function concern) , the new one is now longer and thicker. And those who didn't like the stick placement, will there technically in the same spot relative to where your thumbs would be, while the buttons stayed relative to the screen.

Personally, I find this current design to be a bastard child of the two. The aesthetics remnant of old design make no sense in this new design. Functionally, I'd rather they just put a screen on a Wavebird... Aesthetically, I think they should be slimming it down and make the screen more prominent. I see this new design losing more casual appeal than it is gaining core appeal.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
(05-20-2012, 05:34 AM)

Originally Posted by BurntPork

Next week, 01net returns from the grave and leaks something big.

iwata to become showrunner of community
Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by TheExplodingHead

Throw full integration of FB/YT and maybe a cool DVR function and we'll be in business.

But I also think Nintendo needs to get right another thing Sony forgot about, which is they need that online MP killer app Day 1. If they can snag thatone or two games that light the gaming world on fire which take full advantage of Nintendo's online they'll be on a great path for the service. I nominate one of those games as Smash HD Trilogy Online, also a exclusive online Indie title. Between those and the next CoD, they should do just fine during the launch window.

A nice touch-based web browser would be great.

I agree for on a killer app, but it's never usually necessarily for launch though. 360 really didn't have anything that I can remember up until Gears came out. It would be nice though.
ffdgh
(05-20-2012, 05:36 AM)

already been done.....sorta
burst
Don't think I want leaks any more, happy to wait now.
Izick

Originally Posted by ffdgh

Gross.
BY2K
(05-20-2012, 05:38 AM)

Keep that creepy fanfic crap out of here.
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
Also...no lag. Period. I don't give a damn what I'm doing. I can be in the middle of an Up Smash in a four player Smash Bros session, and if I accidentally hit that home button, that shit better fly up at blistering speed.
TheGreatMightyPoo

Originally Posted by burst

Don't think I want leaks any more, happy to wait now.

Just avoid online a few days before the show, some asshole will leak a major title.
TheCongressman1
Just thought I'd attempt cleaning up the new controller design.

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

I like the grips a lot, so I kept those like they are. There's a touch power button, but that could be an actual button, I don't really care.

Actually, I just thought about it, I kept only one of the mysterious squares. Just imagine that the other one is on there somewhere. It really isn't important for this concept anyway. lol

Here's an animation of how the screen is positioned in the frame.

Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:39 AM)
I keep forgetting how fucking ridiculously beautiful that Zelda tech-demo was. Fucking gorgeous.
MDX

Originally Posted by TheGreatMightyPoo

I doubt it.

I don't think people are pro-circle pad enough for Nintendo to care.

Thats why I said the circle pads are bundled.
Core games, serious gamers would be willing to buy the sticks, would be willing to buy a second controller.
AGITΩ
I hope the online is stable enough to support Video Conferencing on the uPad with your friends you're playing against. Similar to Starfox 64DS, but Actually online.
ffdgh
(05-20-2012, 05:40 AM)
i wish they would use the original Dpad or the psp dpad
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
(05-20-2012, 05:40 AM)

Originally Posted by TheCongressman1

CONTROLLER STUFF

A comfortable break apart controller and screen(with stand) would be the most ideal. Good stuff,
Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:41 AM)

Also...no lag. Period. I don't give a damn what I'm doing. I can be in the middle of an Up Smash in a four player Smash Bros session, and if I accidentally hit that home button, that shit better fly up at blistering speed.

Try and keep that motto for the whole UI. The 360 is usually good about that stuff, but there are still definitely weird quirks here and there that just bug the shit of you.

A comfortable break apart controller and screen(with stand) would be the most ideal. Good stuff,

Why? What would just a touch screen serve? I'd rather it just be a solid piece.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(05-20-2012, 05:42 AM)

Originally Posted by MDX

Thats why I said the circle pads are bundled.
Core games, serious gamers would be willing to buy the sticks, would be willing to buy a second controller.

If third partys got them to go with sticks, I would think they would be the ones in the box if they are serious about getting core gamers.

Could you imagine the bitching from core gamers if they had to buy separately fairly expensive controllers???

In my mind, sticks have an advantage over circle pads and not vice versa.

I don't mind pads though.
TheCongressman1
(05-20-2012, 05:42 AM)

Just for the record, that wasn't my intent with the mockup. Might be a neat idea though, idk.
MDX
(05-20-2012, 05:43 AM)

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

And what happens when you make the whole controller black?
I dont think I've seen that yet.
TheCongressman1
(05-20-2012, 05:44 AM)

Originally Posted by MDX

And what happens when you make the whole controller black?
I dont think I've seen that yet.

Yeah, I was thinking about making a completely black one. I just don't really know how to go about changing the white without completely remaking the buttons etc.

I'm sure it wouldn't make it look wide. It's just an effect that slightly helps. Mainly it's there because it looks sleek.
Last edited by TheCongressman1; 05-20-2012 at 05:47 AM.
BlackNMild2k1
(05-20-2012, 05:45 AM)

I like the grips a lot, so I kept those like they are. There's a touch power button, but that could be an actual button, I don't really care.

Actually, I just thought about it, I kept only one of the mysterious squares. Just imagine that the other one is on there somewhere. It really isn't important for this concept anyway. lol

Here's an animation of how the screen is positioned in the frame.

I like :)
Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:46 AM)
The more I think about it, the only thing I'm concerned is, "as a Wii U gamer, will I have to worry about multiplatform games when the Nextbox and PS4 come out" besides that, I'm really not concerned at all. I know Nintendo is going to do their best with this thing. They want to foster 3rd party support, and they're trying to gain back the core audience, I'm just hoping that the Wii U can compete. As long as they develop the system with the next consoles in mind, and having just a Wii U is a viable option for gaming next gen, then I'll likely be more then satisfied.

Launch titles and stick placement is all little details that I know Nintendo will hopefully get right.
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
(05-20-2012, 05:47 AM)

In something like Skyward Sword, a game they have said will likely still use Wiimote/Nunchuck, the screen can still serve a function such as a map or other inventory screen clutter.

I would rather play ANY general shooter with Wiimote rather than analog, but I like the idea of removing screen clutter, or possibly having a different view of things, maybe viewable cameras you have placed, etc.
Izick
(05-20-2012, 05:48 AM)

In something like Skyward Sword, a game they have said will likely still use Wiimote/Nunchuck, the screen can still serve a function such as a map or other inventory screen clutter.

Oh, I haven't played SS yet, it's sitting in the game pile right now, but I hope they still have options for regular button stuff in the next game. (I'm assuming you meant the next Zelda, right?)
Smellycat
(05-20-2012, 05:49 AM)
I think I am done with GAF until Nintendo's conference. I don't want anymore leaks!!

We should start the spoilers free E3 streaming thread. I want to bookmark it.
ffdgh
(05-20-2012, 05:49 AM)
speaking of wii u launch, will games be available for digital download right away?
walking fiend
(05-20-2012, 05:50 AM)

The more I think about it, the only thing I'm concerned is, "as a Wii U gamer, will I have to worry about multiplatform games when the Nextbox and PS4 come out" besides that, I'm really not concerned at all. I know Nintendo is going to do their best with this thing. They want to foster 3rd party support, and they're trying to gain back the core audience, I'm just hoping that the Wii U can compete. As long as they develop the system with the next consoles in mind, and having just a Wii U is a viable option for gaming next gen, then I'll likely be more then satisfied.

Launch titles and stick placement is all little details that I know Nintendo will hopefully get right.

I really doubt 3rd party publishers/developers willing to bet against Nintendo one more time.
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way

Oh, I haven't played SS yet, it's sitting in the game pile right now, but I hope they still have options for regular button stuff in the next game. (I'm assuming you meant the next Zelda, right?)

Yep. They made a strong hint that the next zelda will use the same controller set up.
Smellycat

speaking of wii u launch, will games be available for digital download right away?

yep, at least first party games.
TheGreatMightyPoo

The Wii could more than compete so I don't see this scenario any differently.

In fact, it'll probably be a bit better at the least.

If you're worried about Nintendo's business, don't be, they'll be able to make games regardless of third partys.

As far as the next consoles in mind, all they have to do is have the feature-set to be able to run next generation engines.

Sales will dictate whether third partys in the future make games for the Wii U.
AGITΩ

thats the plan.
MDX
(05-20-2012, 05:51 AM)

If third partys got them to go with sticks, I would think they would be the ones in the box if they are serious about getting core gamers.

Could you imagine the bitching from core gamers if they had to buy separately fairly expensive controllers???

In my mind, sticks have an advantage over circle pads and not vice versa.

I don't mind pads though.

Nintendo had received favorable comments with the pad from the general public.
I dont see them getting rid of them. I do agree with the other poster that it looks more appealing to "casual" audiences.

So maybe Nintendo will have two SKUs. One bundled with a casual title and circle pads, one bundled with a core game with sticks.
TheCongressman1
(05-20-2012, 05:53 AM)

Not a bad idea.

I mean, you don't really need the buttons when you are playing those tabletop games in the teaser. It could be nice if you actually are able to take the controller around the house, you wouldn't have to worry about the bulk.

Who knows if it would actually be worth it, we don't really know all the details.
ffdgh

Originally Posted by Smellycat

yep, at least first party games.

i say goodbye game shortages.
Izick

Originally Posted by walking fiend

I really doubt 3rd party publishers/developers willing to bet against Nintendo one more time.

It's not really that, it's just me hoping that the Wii U isn't getting really inferior versions of next gen games, or missing quite a few next gen multiplats all together. We really don't know anything yet, so I'm still optimistic about it.

Yep. They made a strong hint that the next zelda will use the same controller set up.

Shit, but I loved the idea of the inventory being right on the screen, am inch away...is SS's control scheme really that good? Is the game as good as everyone says?

The Wii could more than compete so I don't see this scenario any differently.

In fact, it'll probably be a bit better at the least.

If you're worried about Nintendo's business, don't be, they'll be able to make games regardless of third partys.

As far as the next consoles in mind, all they have to do is have the feature-set to be able to run next generation engines.

Sales will dictate whether third partys in the future make games for the Wii U.

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that future titles are comparable to other versions. I'm fine with like a PS2 to GC/Xbox type of difference, as what has been hinted at.
Dash Kappei
Not actually that important
LOL so there's even pics out now?

Oh well, it seems I was too late to give any kind of interesting news since the only worthwhile one got already out (analog sticks instead of slide pads).

But hey, we read and speculated about fuck all for weeks so I'll lay it down anyway just because:

He's working on a port.
Game won't look better, using the same assets as PS360, :(
going to implement AA, a "neat filter" (?) and advanced particles effects only if they've got enough time (it's supposed to be a launch game) and budgets allows it: it's not in the cards at this moment although it'd be possible.
I liked the idea on how they're using the screen but it seems obvious honestly.
I don't like these games, I think they're crap.

He doesn't know how far you can take the tablet to stream games.
The platform is incredibly welcoming from a dev pow, their team is much smaller than what you usually have to port a game. They're a B team porting an A team's game.
They're building the same kind of online as ps360, so that's reassuring.
The tablet is amazing and comfortable. They're not implementing Wii Remote controls.
me' "fuck that!" him: "the tablet is awesome man!' me: "I hate those fucking slide pads like on 3DS" him' " they weren't like that and anyway they've actually become analog sticks for a while now"
Me "is the system more fuckin' poweful then current gen?!" my mate: "of course it is" :D
me "holy shit!" him' "don't get too excited now" -_-
His pub has a big game coming for Wii U which hasn't been announced yet.
The console is still called Wii U.

So yeah, nothing to see here sorry! At least I didn't tease shit or anything :)
And this is all I have, not holding back stuff for the future and I don't have multiple sources ahah
If the Wii U ends up being an it-can-play-Crysis 4 machine then I'm not to be held responsible for these infos, I gave what I was fed. I've known the guy for 6 years and I know 100% is working on Wii U.

ps
Yay, surgery went well and I'm alive :P
pps
Lol, this reads like a Sponge rumour post, I'm kinda ashamed of that but I thought you guys wanted me to post it anyway rather than not. Right?
TheGreatMightyPoo
(05-20-2012, 05:54 AM)

Originally Posted by MDX

Nintendo had received favorable comments with the pad from the general public.
I dont see them getting rid of them. I do agree with the other poster that it looks more appealing to "casual" audiences.

So maybe Nintendo will have two SKUs. One bundled with a casual title and circle pads, one bundled with a core game with sticks.

I just dont' think Nintendo cares about the multiple SKU thing, it's confusing to consumers who will potentially be confused enough as it is with what is different abpout the Wii U than the Wii:P

I would be surprised if Nintendo ever did the multiple SKU thang, it'd be unprecedented for them.
kittens
(05-20-2012, 05:54 AM)

Damn, well done! It looks much better than the leaked version.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
(05-20-2012, 05:55 AM)
that link in that zelda video looks really fucking weird. nintendo's going to need to ditch the painted-on faces for zelda creatures after skyward sword if they make them look more realistic.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(05-20-2012, 05:56 AM)

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that future titles are comparable to other versions. I'm fine with like a PS2 to GC/Xbox type of difference, as what has been hinted at.

Well, that all of course depends on the power of the PS4 and Xbox 720.

At least developers won't have to worry about their ports(if they choose to) looking like ass like 360 to Wii would be.

I have no idea but I don't see any way the 360 and PS4 are out of the stratosphere in power compared to the Wii U.