• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I had a Vita at launch, but because of some financial trouble, I had to sell it late in March sadly. I really liked the system, but I was annoyed that certain PSP games still didn't work.

I got a gift card for gamestop recently, and I happen to also to work at one. We got a used Vita wifi in stock, and with my discount it'd only cost me about $170. I already got a 8gb memory card for the Vita, and 1 game (hot shots golf), because I always knew I wanted to get one again eventually.

I'm just really indecisive about it right now because there are so many people on the internet spelling doom and gloom for the Vita, but I really do like the hardware. I love how the screen looks, I'm looking forward to Gravity Rush, MGS HD both next month and Persona 4 golden later in the year. I want the system, but I just can't decide if it's the best investment with so many people being down on it lately.

If I didn't get the Vita, I was figuring I'd cave in and join my friends online playing some Ghost Recon, and maybe pick up Dragon's Dogma cuz that looks pretty cool too. What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate the advice.

People on the internet are always down about something. Never use them as a metric for ANYTHING. Especially on something as subjective as gaming.

As far as the Vita goes, it's an amazing piece of hardware. That much is clear.

The current software library is impressive, and looking at the current crop of pre-E3 announcements, it has some more impressive titles hitting.

I say wait until after E3 before you make your final decision on if you want to pick one up, but I can say that already, I'm incredibly satisfied with my Vita. I play it daily, and I still have a list of titles that I'm eagerly looking forward to in the coming months (Gravity Rush, MGSHD, Sly: TiT, Ragnarok Odyssey, Zero Escape, Persona 4, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, Dragon's Crown, FFX HD, ZoE HD, etc), and that's still BEFORE E3 reveals it's Vita related secrets.

$170 is an excellent price for a Vita, but if you are still so unsure, like I said before, just wait until E3, and don't let internet bitching influence you.

Some of the same naysayers concerning the Vita were the same people that predicted the PS3 would crash and burn. Look at the system now.

EDIT @Ponn, I disagree.

I think there's been plenty of info for the system concerning the future. There is an entire thread on GAF concerning future software releases. We know PS1 support is coming. We know that series like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty are coming for it. We know that, at the least, Sony is supporting the system with some of their best handheld developers. I don't feel particularly troubled or in the dark about the Vita's upcoming software and it's future. Sales have no effect on my enjoyment of the system.

I'd like it to do well so it will continue to get software support, but I look at the PS3 and PSP before it, and I remember the same levels of skepticism and cynicism concerning the future of both platforms. Both have an incredibly impressive library of games, and that's all that matters to me. It's not like they're going to walk up on stage at E3 this year, 3 months after the system has been released in North America, and say, "Welp, we gave it the ol' college try, but after 7 months on the market world wide, we're calling it quits with the Vita."

They're going to do what they can to drum up interest in the platform. That means potential price cut, and a deluge of software announcements and partnerships with 3rd parties. They aren't going to pull a Sega and tuck their tails between their legs at the first sign of trouble (and it pains me to say that as a Sega fan, but that's exactly what they did with the Dreamcast when the PS2 reared it's head).

Same here. They would have a lot more of my money if they figured this one out.

They'd have a lot more of everyone's money if they figured out how to break the laws of physics and run PS3 games on the Vita. It's never going to happen, aside from streaming them via remote play.

Eusis

And this is what I'm hoping comes in their Gaikai partnership.
Huh, I hadn't considered that angle, changing internet remote play to be through Gaikai and using only your PS3 saves and verification that you own the game. If they really do it that way it'd honestly be amazing.

GopherD

Huh, I hadn't considered that angle, changing internet remote play to be through Gaikai and using only your PS3 saves and verification that way that you own the game. If they really do it that way it'd honestly be amazing.

The tech is there with Gaikai streaming modules, but I'm not getting hopes up. Though the thought of every PSN game playable on Vita has me hoping like hell...

yencid

http://youtu.be/8_DtF_gyhmI

Wizorb - PlayStation minis trailer

• An all-new block-breaking game set in a fantasy world
• Use your magic wand to bounce the orb and cast various magic spells
• Over 60 levels in 5 different worlds
• Epic boss fights and multiple endings and bonus levels
• Character animation by Paul Robertson

Knew the animation style looked familiar.

Eusis

The tech is there with Gaikai streaming modules, but I'm not getting hopes up. Though the thought of every PSN game playable on Vita has me hoping like hell...
Yeah, it sounds too good to actually be done, plus you'll probably have publishers who don't agree to it, so at best we'd probably have a list of supported games or something. And possibly making it a PlayStation Plus thing.

Sintoid

I wish Sony would somehow let PSN games be playable on the Vita.

It's asking PS3 games work on Vita... they can be ported but there's no way Vita can do it directly. I'm quite happy with all the games that will be available on both formats (wich are anyway different games remember)

DBT85

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere but just in case it hasn't, shopto have the MGS HD collection available for pre order for just £22.85

£11.425 per game is reasonable I think!

spats

Sony recently did the digital preorder thing for Sorcery a while ago and like some have already said, that's one feature I really hope trickles down to the Vita. If only I could've preordered and preloaded the digital copy of Burning Skies... They could've suckered me into paying for it before any reviews hit.

XxCGSxX

Gaf WTF HELP ME. So here's my story, I've charged my vita a total of 4 times since I've got it since march, have played less than 15 hours with it since march and everything was fine with it. The system is new, I'm a maniac when it comes to taking care of my system (cleaning it with a cloth etc.) So now I turn it on since 3 weeks aprox. with out use and the lower middle of the touch screen doesn't work, I noticed when I tried to press the letter G on the keyboard (it worked before since I've browsed neogaf with it) . WTF GAF this hasn't happened to me since my first and only RRoD on my 360. I bought it at gamestop and it doesn't have any warranty at all. Tried reset setting option and it didn't work. Help me gaf I'm mad/sad/desperate and I want to cry because $250 dollars went down the toilet.

EDIT: Wait after entering sleep mode like 10 times in a row it now works!!!, fuck you sony you almost gave me a heart attack :'(. But seriously could the touch screen still be damaged or on it's way out? I've only used the touch screen for the welcome park once and browsing the internet a couple of times. Oh and using the menu of wipeout the 5 times I've played it.

mandiller

Gaf WTF HELP ME. So here's my story, I've charged my vita a total of 4 times since I've got it since march, have played less than 15 hours with it since march and everything was fine with it. The system is new, I'm a maniac when it comes to taking care of my system (cleaning it with a cloth etc.) So now I turn it on since 3 weeks aprox. with out use and the lower middle of the touch screen doesn't work, I noticed when I tried to press the letter G on the keyboard (it worked before since I've browsed neogaf with it) . WTF GAF this hasn't happened to me since my first and only RRoD on my 360. I bought it at gamestop and it doesn't have any warranty at all. Tried reset setting option and it didn't work. Help me gaf I'm mad/sad/desperate and I want to cry because $250 dollars went down the toilet.

EDIT: Wait after entering sleep mode like 10 times in a row it now works!!!, fuck you sony you almost gave me a heart attack :'(. But seriously could the touch screen still be damaged or on it's way out? I've only used the touch screen for the welcome park once and browsing the internet a couple of times. Oh and using the menu of wipeout the 5 times I've played it.

Why not contact Sony? Surely it's covered by their warranty. They'll replace it.

Massa

XxCGSxX, that's a software bug I've seen here a couple times. Seems that a reset or hard reset of the system fixes it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

XxCGSxX

XxCGSxX, that's a software bug I've seen here a couple times. Seems that a reset or hard reset of the system fixes it, so I wouldn't worry about it.
How do we know it's a software bug??????!?!?! I'M SCARED :'( I mean I don't use it a lot but there's a couple of games I'm waiting so I can finally play the shit out of my vita. Was it the last firmware? And how do I hard reset?

TheBear

So I grabbed Unit 13. It's awesome. It's truly designed for a portable game console. The demo makes it feel a bit generic but the missions are a lot of fun and designed for quick bursts.

Massa

So I grabbed Unit 13. It's awesome. It's truly designed for a portable game console. The demo makes it feel a bit generic but the missions are a lot of fun and designed for quick bursts.

Yep, it's a great game. Had a lot of fun getting it to 100%.

How do we know it's a software bug??????!?!?! I'M SCARED :'( I mean I don't use it a lot but there's a couple of games I'm waiting so I can finally play the shit out of my vita. Was it the last firmware? And how do I hard reset?

Funnily enough I just had a similar issue on my Vita. I forced it to use the web browser while Mortal Kombat was running and the system stopped recognizing inputs from the touch screen.

I've seen a few posts here with similar issues.

If you can fix it by turning the system off holding the power button for about 20 seconds then it's not a hardware issue. If the problem persists I'd suggest contacting Sony.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've recently started played it again after having it for a while. Really enjoying the later missions.

Kafel

Banned
Zavvi and Game UK (not anymore on the website) :

assassin-creed-3-psvita_090168008E00364682.png

1337955941-ghostreconfinalmissiongameuk.jpg

Eusis

Would it really be marked "Only on Playstation"? BlazBlue didn't have that, but then that did have a 3DS version if that's the metric they're using. Though there's also UMvC3 that I recall didn't have it.

... Sony's use of "only on Playstation" gets to me more than anyone else's. Partially because it seemed to be recognized by Nintendo/Microsoft as a marketting ploy that was having less use with time, while they had been the company abstaining longest.

Kafel

Banned
Would it really be marked "Only on Playstation"? BlazBlue didn't have that, but then that did have a 3DS version if that's the metric they're using. Though there's also UMvC3 that I recall didn't have it.

... Sony's use of "only on Playstation" gets to me more than anyone else's. Partially because it seemed to be recognized by Nintendo/Microsoft as a marketting ploy that was having less use with time, while they had been the company abstaining longest.

If they're real, they're surely not definitive. It's even written on AC 3.

V_Ben

Banned
If anything, I reckon the name of the assassins creed vita game is missing a subtitle. Could be a prequel/follow up to the main story.

Ghost recon is interesting though... A 4 person co-op game on Vita? It would be nice to see more of those on portables.

yurinka

Please note it says 'final artwork coming soon' in the bottom of the cover. As I remember the Vita game has another name, it wasn't Assasin's Creed III.

yurinka

How did Lumines do, sales-wise? I was at the local GS, and they said that they had received very few copies. They said that there simply wasn't a whole lot of interest this time around. Personally, I think it would have done better as a $20 downloadable title. The high-score chasing gameplay is too reminiscent of SSD, which is only $15.

Considering they ported it to a number of devices and that released several sequels, I'd sayd that it did it at least decently when compared to its budget. Maybe not something spectacular, but they should have made some profit.

Didn't they release a mobile version of Lumines? And the PS3 version is something like $15. Do those versions not use licensed music?
Iphone version was releally bad due to touchscreen only controls. Gameloft released a Lumines for (old, crappy) Java phones with some exclusive features, PS3 version was good, but I prefer to play Lumines on portables. As I remember they didn't have licensed music. Instead Lumines 2 (PSP), Lumines Live (XBLA) and Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita) had licensed music.

magawolaz

Sony recently did the digital preorder thing for Sorcery a while ago and like some have already said, that's one feature I really hope trickles down to the Vita. If only I could've preordered and preloaded the digital copy of Burning Skies... They could've suckered me into paying for it before any reviews hit.
It would be cool to have something like PS Plus auto-download: before going to bed you switch on WiFi, put Vita in sleep mode while recharging, and during night time it starts downloading every patch, every preordered game, everything...

yurinka

It would be cool to have something like PS Plus auto-download: before going to bed you switch on WiFi, put Vita in sleep mode while recharging, and during night time it starts downloading every patch, every preordered game, everything...
Yes. Specially without needing to have the game card inside the device for retail games to download its patch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any good deals ever pop up for memory cards?

jonno394

i've just finished Max Payne 3 and i'm currently in my "Rockstar are amazing and their games are some of the best ever crafted" mode.

Have Rockstar shared their thoughst about the Vita and possible development for it? I hope Rockstar start pledging some support for the Vita; heck a port of Bully would probably not cost them a lot, and i'd Day 1 it.

sajj316

So why can't I download peace walker from the Vita PSN again? I don't have a PS3.

I have this feeling that it will be on the Vita PSN store once MGS Collection is out. Might get a few extra sales for those looking for more MGS once 2 and 3 are done.

Afrikan

i've just finished Max Payne 3 and i'm currently in my "Rockstar are amazing and their games are some of the best ever crafted" mode.

Have Rockstar shared their thoughst about the Vita and possible development for it? I hope Rockstar start pledging some support for the Vita; heck a port of Bully would probably not cost them a lot, and i'd Day 1 it.

I don't know but have you tried their PSP Titles? I have been thinking about giving them a try since I never played them before.

jonno394

I don't know but have you tried their PSP Titles? I have been thinking about giving them a try since I never played them before.

I've got their warriors port on my vita. Will probably invest in Vice City Stories as well ss i lived it when i owned it on my psp

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am dying for PS One support. I really want to play my Final Fantasies.

xxczx

Hey GAF, which version of Monster Hunter should I get?
I've played like an hour of one of them before on a friends PSP now I want to get into MonHun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom