• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 100 killed overnight in Homs

Status
Not open for further replies.
1338111366-clip-265kb.jpg

Riggs

Banned
Of course it's Assad forces, Jesus Christ was that a serious comment? Sadly I know it was, whatever tired of giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not people like this. Assads entire family has ruled with an iron fist. This is his work, or the work of the "Government Supporters" that is on an undisclosed government payroll at best. (Pay roll meaning we will supply you with guns, food, minor amount of money, and not kill you and your family. That kind of pay roll.)

Still Assad I'd bet anything though.

jaxword

hooooooooooooolllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

How they do that shit to kids is beyond me.

Well, as I posted in a testimonial last page, soldiers can be trained to no longer think of the enemy as human, and those affected by war can also develop a numb acceptance of things like bodies and blood.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
NYT article today about Pres. Obama talking to Russian foreign minister Medvedev about this at Camp David identifies problems with this situation: Putin is now back in charge and snubbed Pres. Obama by not attending the G8 conference himself, sending Medvedev instead.

Second, Medvedev came in for heavy criticism from hardliners for not vetoing the Libyan no fly zone back when he was in charge (at least nominally) and Putin has to put down an early marker, so there's no way he's going to agree to anything, especially if it's seen as coming from Pres. Obama.

RoyalFool

Banned
Video was disturbing, hope they do something. Crazy how we can invade countries despite strong opposition yet times like this where everybody must want someone to stand up and do something, nothing happens. What are NATO doing about it other than writing a worthless report.

volturnus

Banned
Is it not amazing how this "3rd party" mainly targets the opposition, with 0 incidents in pro-gov rallies, zero.

Except they don't have tanks or artillery fire. Also mercenaries were on Gadafi's side, most of the rebels were tribes men and volunteers.

A lot of pretentious posts in this page.
I'm not being pretentious, just look it up.
The media was pretentious during the whole ''revolution'', and the biggest example is the ''liberation day'':
Reuters picture
5595015.bin

Civilian picture:
kj4ea4550e.jpg

Gaddafi gathered 2 million people in Tripoli to listen to his speech, even though it was a radio message and he wasn't there.

Believe mass media all you want, but Assad is a nationalist leader and is fighting terrorism, since the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria is driven by hate, and even hatred against women of other sects.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I wasn't going to listen to you anyway, but then I noticed that your second picture was from AboveTopSecret. If I was the ignoring type then you'd be on my list.

Also, the site you link to claims "Against the Zionist-Wahhabi media misleading". Yeah, we all know those Wahabists and Zionists are secretly in cahoots. Also links to videos from Russia Today, so they certainly don't care about objectivity.

volturnus

Banned
CHEEZMO™;38247263 said:
I wasn't going to listen to you anyway, but then I noticed that your second picture was from AboveTopSecret. If I was the ignoring type then you'd be on my list
They pasted the image as well, so what? I simply googled it.

Tideas

Banned
Video was disturbing, hope they do something. Crazy how we can invade countries despite strong opposition yet times like this where everybody must want someone to stand up and do something, nothing happens. What are NATO doing about it other than writing a worthless report.

really? are you sure everyone in the US wants to go in? everyone meaning the citizens?

Trust me. you'd be surprise

Russia has (again) blocked a UN statement that would have condemned the killing. Worth noting that this is just a statement, not a resolution.

Russia has blocked a UN Security Council statement on the massacre in Syria and has called for an urgent meeting of the council, diplomats said Sunday.

They said the meeting could be held on Sunday. Britain and France proposed a statement condemning the massacre in the Syrian town of Houla where at least 92 people, many of them children, were killed on Friday and Saturday.

But diplomats said Russia would not agree to the condemnation until a briefing was given by the head of the UN mission in Syria, Major General Robert Mood.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/liveblog/Syria

Thanks for the warning about the YT link. Just reading the articles and GAF reaction is enough to make my stomach turn. How much longer will this situation play out for?

Wtf at the xenoblade hom pic

oatmeal

Banned
Are these the parents flinging the bodies around or the people that killed them?

Crazy stuff.

Thought this was a repost from last year, almost the exact same video.

The head of the U.N. monitoring mission in Syria told an emergency meeting of the Security Council on Sunday that at least 116 people were killed and 300 injured in a massacre in the town of Houla, a diplomat told Reuters.

Meeting is going on behind closed doors now.

Expect no humanity from a Putin lead government, the Russian army,under his watch, was responsible for very similar bloodbaths in Chechnya.

Meeting is going on behind closed doors now.

Now is Russia gonna condem it?

This is the statement they rejected. Radical stuff

The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest possible terms the Syrian armed forces’ heavy shelling of a civilian populated area which resulted in the killing, confirmed by United Nations observers, of dozens of men, women and children and the wounding of hundreds more in the village of El-Houleh, near Homs. The members of the Security Council extended their profound sympathies and sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and underscore their grave concern about the lack of protection for civilians in Syria.

This indiscriminate and disproportionate use of force against civilian population constitutes a flagrant violation of international law, United Nations Security Council Resolutions 2042 and 2043 and of the commitments of the Syrian Government to cease the use of heavy weapons in population centres and violence in all its forms. Those responsible for perpetrating this crime must be held accountable. The members of the Security Council requested the United Nations Human rights Commissioner and the International independent Commission of inquiry to investigate these killings.

The members of the Security Council demanded that the Government of Syria immediately cease the use of heavy weapons in population centres and immediately pullback its troops and its heavy weapons from in and around population centres and return them to their barracks. They reiterated that all violence in all its forms by all parties must cease.

The members of the Security Council reiterated their full support to the efforts of the Joint Special Envoy for the implementation of its six point plan in its entirety and requested him to convey in the clearest terms to the Syrian authorities the condemnation and the demands of the Security Council.

Also I looks like China rejected it too.

Now is Russia gonna condem it?

Well if this is true

MT @NabilAbiSaab: Revised draft statement on ‪#Houla‬, ‪#Syria‬ was circulated in ‪#SecurityCouncil‬, w/ no ref to the SAF heavy shelling

Then the Russians might agree to condemn it, because it won't explicitly blame the Syrian army, even though...

Western Sec Council envoy says UN mission have confirmed use of heavy weapons in #houla massacre and wants strong response from council
comment by denisfitz via twitter 8:05 PM

Kind of sad that all of this is just over a statement, not actually a resolution that does anything.

Well if this is true

Then the Russians might agree to condemn it, because it won't explicitly blame the Syrian army, even though...

Kind of sad that all of this is just over a statement, not actually a resolution that does anything.

So it does nothing. The UN is showing its ineptitude here. The security council just doesn't work anymore. Its like the US senate. Everything else is pretty good.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Fucking Russia and China.

In other news, Reuters is saying that 30 people were killed in Hama today following tank shelling of residential areas.

DR2K

Banned
You really don't get the full effect until you watch this video in its entirety. This shit needs to end

Saw the thumbnail because it was flagged and I may not watch it because it is "inappropriate".

Yeah, I'm not going to watch it. The thumbnail makes me sick. RIP...

As if there was any real doubt.
You're aware of FSA militants presence in the area while SAF was returning fire, right?

confirming artillery fire on a residential area isn't the answer to the question "Who did kill all these innocent civilians?"

I'm glad that Russia rejected the early draft. Blaming Syrian Army lacks evidence. Because there are many parties who are already fighting inside Syria.

I just became a dad in April. I could not bear to see something like this. WHAT THE F*** goes through your mind to do such things to children? Is there some internal civil war? Even if there was... how the f*** does that excuse the slaughtering of children. F*** Russa. F*** China. And F*** UN! And more importantly F*** the people who authorized and carried out this massacre.

Edit:
Is there anything we can do? Donate to a fund? Write to officials? Any ideas?

You're aware of FSA militants presence in the area while SAF was returning fire, right?

confirming artillery fire on a residential area isn't the answer to the question "Who did kill all these innocent civilians?"

I'm glad that Russia rejected the early draft. Blaming Syrian Army lacks evidence. Because there are many parties who are already fighting inside Syria.

The FSA don't have any artillery. The area has been surrounded by Syrian Army tanks and artillery for weeks.

The Russians rejected the statement saying the deaths were caused by knife wounds and close range gunfire.

Are you honestly suggesting that the Russian's rejection has nothing to do with the fact that Syria is one of Russia's top arms customers with arms deals worth billions (everything from small arms to submarines) at stake if a UN resolution is past that bans arms sales to Syria. Not even taking into account Russia's strategic naval port at Tartus and the gas and oil interests Russia is developing in Sryia?

Come on ffs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TBH, I would be wary of supporting the rebellion or any in the middle east (history should have taught us this by now), however, the crimes against humanity cannot be overlooked, unfortunately it will probably be in retrospect in the form of the ICC (international criminal court) when they inevitably form the ICTS (international criminal tribunal for Syria).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just became a dad in April. I could not bear to see something like this. WHAT THE F*** goes through your mind to do such things to children? Is there some internal civil war? Even if there was... how the f*** does that excuse the slaughtering of children. F*** Russa. F*** China. And F*** UN! And more importantly F*** the people who authorized and carried out this massacre.

Edit:
Is there anything we can do? Donate to a fund? Write to officials? Any ideas?

You could always do what Mia Farrow did and write an OP-ed pointing out how "wrong and evil" Russia and China are (although she did it pointed at China) in regard to Darfur.

Look up "The Genocide Olympics."

The FSA don't have any artillery.
The FSA has artillery weapons. It has been confirmed by NowHariri website, Youtube videos and FSA figures. They have Mortars and Now they have Anti-Tank Guided Missiles. Since the FSA is consisted of peasants and villagers, they lack training and good handling of such weapons, the chances are high that they are even shooting themselves.

In Sarmin, the FSA appears to consist almost entirely of defectors from Assad’s army, several hundred of them. The force appeared disciplined and serious. The fighters are uniformed, equipped with AK-47 rifles; I saw RPG-7s, heavy machine guns, and a mortar. They are commanded by an impressive figure, Lieutenant Bilal Khabir, a twenty-five-year-old former officer of the airborne forces of Assad’s army. He and his men are motivated, respond to commands with military precision, and appear willing to fight to the end. “Either Bashar stays or we stay,” Khabir told me. “The regime has the heavy weapons—the people are with us.”

To read more: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArchiveDetails.aspx?ID=392681#ixzz1w6dVNNm0
Only 25% of a given NOW Lebanon article can be republished. For information on republishing rights from NOW Lebanon: http://www.nowlebanon.com/Sub.aspx?ID=125478

The FSA's acquisition of advanced antitank weapons is to date "the most significant arms development," he said. It claims to have used an RPG-29, a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, to destroy an infantry fighting vehicle in Daraa.

"Several videos suggest it has guided antitank missiles as well," White said.
These kinds of weapons, given to the wrong people can cause a lot of accidents and causalities.
The area has been surrounded by Syrian Army tanks and artillery for weeks.

The Russians rejected the statement saying the deaths were caused by knife wounds and close range gunfire.

Are you honestly suggesting that the Russian's rejection has nothing to do with the fact that Syria is one of Russia's top arms customers with arms deals worth billions (everything from small arms to submarines) at stake if a UN resolution is past that bans arms sales to Syria. Not even taking into account Russia's strategic naval port at Tartus and the gas and oil interests Russia is developing in Sryia?

Come on ffs.
Yeah, Syrian Army has been surrounding many areas as well not just this one. But the questions is, Did they kill all these innocent people? If yes, Prove it. and Why now? They Syrian army has been surrounding Homs and other areas since the unrest began.

The Russians rejected it because it blames the Syrian army without an evidence. On the topic of the causes of death, I'm unable to find a picture that shows the concrete/debris on the bodies of innocent civilians, that's if the causes of death are shelling on their houses while they were inside it. Instead, I'm seeing signs of close range gunshots and knives as well.

It's most likely related to sectarian violence that's currently sweeping Syria due to Qatar and Saudi Arabia's sectarian propaganda.

On the arms deals, let's not forget the US arms deal with Bahrain during the unrest and the 5th fleet US navy in Bahrain let alone the strategic oil and gas based relations with the Oil and Gas sheikdoms of the GCC. :)

Jackpot

Banned
Was Solid Warrior the same poster who kept putting "innocent" in quotes when talking about the prominent journalists killed by Assad forces in Syria a while back because he thought they were some sort of CIA deep cover terrorist agitators?

Also dismissed every news source out of hand as not detailed enough then relied on the most fringe blogs and state Syrian news service for "proof" of the world's conspiracy against Syria.

Or was that the pro-China guy?

edit: Oh wait, he was the guy who posted this doozy.

Syrian army retakes Homs; terrorists flee
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465097

That was his take on the Syrian army shelling civilians in a rebellious town.

double edit: and yes it was him.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35631277&postcount=152

Read that thread. You will then understand that this guy will defend mass slaughter even if it happened right in front of him.

Was Solid Warrior the same poster who kept putting "innocent" in quotes when talking about the prominent journalists killed by Assad forces in Syria a while back because he thought they were some sort of CIA deep cover terrorist agitators?

Also dismissed every news source out of hand as not detailed enough then relied on the most fringe blogs and state Syrian news service for "proof" of the world's conspiracy against Syria.

Or was that the pro-China guy?

edit: Oh wait, he was the guy who posted this doozy.

Syrian army retakes Homs; terrorists flee
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465097

That was his take on the Syrian army shelling civilians in a rebellious town.
heroic acts of the rebels.

The 10 May 2012 Damascus bombings were carried out using a pair of car bombs detonated by suicide bombers outside of a military intelligence complex in Damascus, Syria. Combined, the perpetrators detonated more than 1,000 kilograms (2,200 lb) of explosives, tearing the facade off a 10-story building. With 55 people confirmed dead and almost 400 others injured, the attack is the deadliest bombing to date in the 2011-2012 Syrian uprising.
The 30 April 2012 Idlib bombings was a car bombing that targeted the Syrian military in Idlib, killing twenty people.[1]
The 27 April 2012 Damascus bombings was a suicide attack that targeted the Syrian military, killing nine people. It was claimed by the Al-Nusra Front to Protect the Levant.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bombings_during_the_Syrian_uprising_(2011–present)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom