• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-games-run-in-720p/

While the Wii U technically supports 1080p resolution, current Wii U games only run in 720p, Wii U Daily can confirm. Yesterday, Nintendo released screenshots of New Super Mario Bros U, which were in the native resolution of 720p. So were the screenshots of ZombiU and Project P-100. We initially thought that those were simply the 720p versions of the game and that 1080p would be available. But as it turns out, all of Nintendo’s upcoming first party Wii U titles will be in 720p.

Speaking to a Nintendo representative on the E3 show floor today, I was told that all of the playable Wii U games at E3 will ship with native 720p support, including Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros, and Pikmin 3. However, the representative said that some of those titles, like Pikmin 3, will run at 60 frames per second. The representative couldn’t confirm whether the games can be upscaled to 1080p, only that the “native resolution is 720p for all titles showcased”.

The Wii U hardware is still very new and it’s likely that it’ll take developers some time before they can push it to its full potential. But for now, it seems that Nintendo and its first party Wii U games will be sticking to 720p.

Was kinda afraid of this, but at least Pikmin 3 makes up for this with 60 frames per second unlike the first two which were in 30 frames.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, that's basically the status quo for this generation of hardware; capable of outputting 1080p, but generally most games output 720p (and I suspect we'll eventually see games rendered below 720p internally and scaled to 720p, as well). Nice to have confirmation, though.

Foffy

Banned
That's fine, most current platforms can't even do native 720p with all of the games. If the Wii U does that as a baseline, I'm happy.

Pre

Considering that a lot of games this generation didn't even hit that, I'm not concerned.

Amir0x

Banned
I am kind of surprised NSMB Wii U isn't 60fps. It is doing absolutely nothing at all special technically. Is it because they know it'll be one of those games using multiple pads, and so they locked it at 30?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
How can NSMBU or Nintendo Land not output in 1080p? I mean they are PSN games with the same amount of graphics prowess that do 1080p.:/

Ridley327

I am kind of surprised NSMB Wii U isn't 60fps. It is doing absolutely nothing at all special technically. Is it because they know it'll be one of those games using multiple pads, and so they locked it at 30?

Isn't even the DS NSMB 60 fps? I'd be really surprised if NSMBU wasn't 60 fps.

If the leaked specs are true, -- are they intentionally holding back?

I thought this was what they essentially said they were going to do over a year ago. The increased hardware power was to satisfy the needs of 3rd party publishers. However, given the launch lineup of 3rd party games, they aren't wanting to utilize the power either. Maybe Holiday 2013 we'll start to see what the WiiU is made of...or not

NateDrake

This is likely the case, I'd imagine. No reason it can't be at 60 for SP -- if this comment is accurate, of course.

Amir0x

Banned

For what, that Mario Wii U isn't 60fps? I thought that's what the article was implying since the rep decided to call out Pikmin 3 (which is a far less popular game than Mario). Why not just say both of them are 60fps?

I honestly don't know, because of the article and the title, I thought it was suggesting Mario was 30fps

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It would be incredibly surprising for Nintendo to render at 1080p. This was very expected.

AGITΩ

If the leaked specs are true, -- are they intentionally holding back?

Given its Nintendo's first HD outing, and their Launch Window Schedule, it's more of a limit from the Dev standpoint because they are just coming to terms with the hardware. Although Pikmin no doubt has the longest running dev time, its obviously was a Wii game that was just upscaled, and had texture improvements and what not.

Alexios

Banned
For what, that Mario Wii U isn't 60fps? I thought that's what the article was implying since the rep decided to call out Pikmin 3 (which is a far less popular game than Mario). Why not just say both of them are 60fps?

I honestly don't know, because of the article and the title, I thought it was suggesting Mario was 30fps

Yes, for that, I thought we're past jumping to conclusions but I guess not, it's all about the sigh and the zomg now.

The article you mention says that "some of those titles, like Pikmin 3" are 60fps, not that just that one is.

I meant rumored specs, sorry.
What specs are those, I thought it's all been vague brands/models/architecture and no actual performance numbers, with slightly less vague RAM information, so far. Did we get more since?

Either way it's weird games that don't seem to push the system even as much as some of the quick portjobs can't run at higher resolution than those and maintain the framerate, maybe inefficient Nintendo is inefficient as they're learning the new architecture or, given that pretty much all the games seem to target 720p atm, they really did "last minute" changes to the specs and don't have time to go through all the games and ensure the different supported resolution modes don't cause any issues.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-games-run-in-720p/

Was kinda afraid of this, but at least Pikmin 3 makes up for this with 60 frames per second unlike the first two which were in 30 frames.

Why afraid of it? 720P at 60fps or a steady 30fps is more than current gen games are doing. Hopefully all first party games will be 60fps.
I'm sure if they optimise the games more, 1080P is possible. But for me it's important that IF they do 720P, they use GOOD ANTI ALIASSING.... and maybe some extra effects :)

Says some titles and he just said pikmin for an example.

LOL, 720p. Later, Nintendo, it's been swell. Been rocking 1080p on my (midrange) PC since 2010 and haven't looked back.

The thought of me paying hundreds of dollars to regress back to 720p, in 2012:

tumblr_lt93o7DF6i1qbqdik.gif

Seik

Banned
Damn, they were selling that 1080p bullshit so much last year.

Hope it'll get 1080p with some time for them to get comfy with the hardware.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
If given a choice between 60fps or 1080p, I would probably go with 60fps most of the time. So I won't complain too much about this. But it does seem a little weird considering that Pikmin 3 and NSMBU is clearly not pushing the system. I bet they both could easily run in 1080p, but at the cost of a high framerate. Hopefully this will improve as the developers learn how to program for the system better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How can NSMBU or Nintendo Land not output in 1080p? I mean they are PSN games with the same amount of graphics prowess that do 1080p.:/

Yeah this.

Saying it's somewhat comparable to systems that are more than six years old isn't really saying a whole lot about what the system should be capable of doing. I think Nintendo is underestimating what people are looking out of this thing on a graphical level. They are expecting next gen, not something that's barely a step above the last gen. You really don't want people thinking of your system as Dreamcast 2.0

No surprise there. How is this any different than the high majority of PS3/360 games?
Though I do hope that the future Mario Galaxy 3 is either 60fps or 1080p or hopefully both.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
LOL, 720p. Later, Nintendo, it's been swell. Been rocking 1080p on my (midrange) PC since 2010 and haven't looked back.

The thought of me paying hundreds of dollars to regress back to 720p, in 2012:

tumblr_lt93o7DF6i1qbqdik.gif
Just found a new troll tonight > ignore list.

Aren't Pikmin 1&2 30fps? I assumed they said that because it's news, while 2D Mario should hopefully be taken for granted.

Top Bottom