• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious Assassin, lets hypothetically say that the Wii U vastly performs under Nintendo's expectations and is rapidly turning into a GameCube, 3DS scenario. Do you predict that Nintendo would take drastic measures like they did for the 3DS? Whether that is a hardware price drop, early AAA game announcements (most likely saved for E3 or Nintendo Direct later), or Wii Select game/Wiimote bundle or something.

I don't like the inclusion of GC because Wii U will do better than it for no other reason than being a successor to Wii.

And according to them they are already taking the steps to keep it from being like 3DS. NSMB, Wii Fit U, and NintendoLand are examples of that.

I don't like the inclusion of GC because Wii U will do better than it for no other reason than being a successor to Wii.

And according to them they are already taking the steps to keep it from being like 3DS. NSMB, Wii Fit U, and NintendoLand are examples of that.

You have a point, but just because it is the successor to the Wii doesn't guarantee it a safety net. I guess I have to agree with you on the GameCube portion, but the Wii didn't necessarily have a lot of competition. Especially considering the price of the competitors. Though I do forsee them gloating off in ads about the 90+ million Wiis sold and whatnot when they start pumping out that ad campaign.

Wow what a Canada day today! Especially in Toronto! Rib fest, gay pride parade, euro cup final, fireworks, special events. Awesome day.

It was indeed a CRAZY weekend! I'm absolutely exhausted but I couldn't resist the urge to post before going to bed. However, I'm finding it very difficult to read, let alone understand, 6 pages of technical mumbo jumbo. I wish I wasn't such a dummy, because it sounds fascinating.

When you say different dimensions you mean like one being longer while one is wider? That's going to depend on component and fan placement IMO as to how different the dissipation would be.

I'm sorry, I fear I just didn't communicate properly... I was just trying to make sense of the volume debate. I thought perhaps there could be a set of particular circumstances in which a console with a smaller volume could dissipate heat better than one with a larger volume, assuming technical specifications are comparable.

In hindsight I realize it was a silly question anyways. But thanks for replying!

Limitations help when it comes to staying focused, hence why games that get lost with the freedom notion are often a trainwreck; creativity, when coming at the expense of a lot of extra work gets lost because of the extra emphasis on something having to be profitable (hence, not taking risks) and the fact everything takes so long to do. Really takes the soul out of any game.

I have to say, very good job with this post (I read it all but quoted only an excerpt for brevity). I may not be a game developer, but as a 3D animator I can vouch for the fact that narrowing the scope of a project has its benefits. Firstly, total freedom can make finding your bearings very difficult. From experience, projects that lack boundaries almost never meet the insane expectations placed upon them, and often end up being the longest and most frustrating. It's like an open road with no end in sight. Secondly, I find the notion that creativity demands freedom a bit funny. In fact, I think that setting limits will often result in more creative solutions to a problem. Bt that's just me I guess?

snesfreak was permed. :((((.

told him to stop posting in nintendo threads. damn

Awww we never got a chance to exchange words. I've seen stuff like this happen to plenty of good people over the past years, but I never get used to it. So sad :'(

I see one of two things happening: Either Microsoft or Sony(more likely Sony) back out of next gen altogether. 360 or Ps3 keep going another few years, then thats it. No next gen. Sony has lost money on the Ps3 since 2006, never earned any proit until just recently. Doesnt at all sound like theyre ready for next gen.

OR, Microsoft and Sony release cheap almost identical consoles to what they have now, with some Wii U -like minor upgrades. People who think next gen from then will be comparable leap again I think are deluded. I think that happening is literally impossible, at least for the next few years. So yes, I would agree with you.

I can't really comment on your post's accuracy regarding Sony's recent earnings, but I'm pretty sure both your scenarios are improbable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we know both Sony and Microsoft are working on something, and educated analysis of whatever limited info/rumours we have suggests that there will be a notable power gap between Xbox720/PS4 and WiiU. What matters is the size of that gap, and how it affects 3rd party support.

The latter is correct. I believe it will be less than my max of $150 by the time it launches and in that range of $100-$130. I'm also factoring in that the hardware cost should scale down much, much better than PS3. I could see them at breakeven or even making a slight profit at a $399 price point before they consider a price drop. Ignoring the possibility of low sales forcing a need to consider a drop sooner. By then software is "pure profit". I put that in quotes because of the need to cover any necessary operating expenses.

That seems like a risky move to me, but if anyone has the cojones to do it it is Sony. They love their cutting edge hardware. However, if what you say is true and they do manage to decrease loss and perhaps reach profitability much earlier than PS3, then perhaps this strategy will work for them this time around.

Question, who is still disappointed by Nintendo's E3?, I think everyone over reacted (including me) about they're conference, I still am madd about Nintendo's E3 but I am getting over it, I just hope Nintendo's Fall Conference gives us the E3 we wanted.

I think most of us suffered from a case of overhype. Not the first time it's happened either. I am still somewhat disappointed, but a relationship with Nintendo is always full of ups and downs. I put up with it because the ups are just so damn amazing.

AzaK

I don't think MS or Sony are worried about WiiU. Apart from Halo 4. There doesn't appear to be any big hitters coming out in the same time period.

Certainly. Shortly before the Xbox 360 launched. The hype train was massive. Tons of videos and piccies from devs. The total opposite of what we're seeing today.
I think MS especially has their own agenda and path, sort of like Nintendo. If anyone was going to worry I think I'd be Sony but even then Sony will have a machine that can trounce the Wii U so will have their "core gamer audience" to target, who will likely skip the Wii U other than those who are Nintendo buyers (like me).

I remember a time when a new Nintendo console was a huge deal. How times have change.
Yep. Worst E3 I can remember. But considering MS and Sony are near the end of their console cycle, it's hardly surprising.

Nintendo on the other hand failed very badly to create the hype required to kick start a new console. They almost managed to unhype the machine. Worst console launch at E3 ever.
They totally unhyped it for me, that's for sure.

My mistake, thanks for the correction. Well if that is the case then lets hope Nintendo found the right price balance for the Wii U. I believe that NintendoLand will be a pack-in game. It seems like it has to because the 360 and PS3 have pack-in games (sometimes more than one) for $300. Not everyone will buy NintendoLand if it isn't a pack-in, and Nintendo needs to have that game, as they say, that "shows off the Wii U features."

I actually wonder if they'll do a split SKU. White console with Nintendo Land pack-in, and black console with no game, or maybe a GamePad pro or some other thing to add value for the "core" gamer.

Question, who is still disappointed by Nintendo's E3?, I think everyone over reacted (including me) about they're conference, I still am madd about Nintendo's E3 but I am getting over it, I just hope Nintendo's Fall Conference gives us the E3 we wanted.
Very. What I have seen so far since E3 has dne almost nothing to raise my excitement. At the moment I feel like I'm in this "I suppose I better get it then." mode.

Are Nintendo doing an actual press conference between now and launch or will we just get into through Nintendo Directs? If its just ND then I expect the whole launch info stuff to be a bit lame. I hope, that if they don't do an in person conference before launch, that they do some super sexy, Hollywood style blow my socks of, high production value video. I really don't want to see a cheap arse Iwata-in-a-room reveal of something like Prime 4 :)

MDX

Did dreamcast have only 1/3-1/4 the power of the ps2?

This site compares Dreamcast vs Gamecube vs Xbox, not PS2.
But maybe you can find PS2 vs Gamecube or Xbox to see
how it compares to Dreamcast

http://www.segatech.com/technical/consolecompare/

Pixel Fill Rate - MPixels/sec

DC (100 MP/s) vs GC (648 MP/s) vs Xbox (932 MP/s)
pixel.gif

Sadist

And snes.. damn. What was the offending post? One by one, the Nintendo fanmen around here are going kaput. Juniors, you have large, large shoes to fill. Many fallen friends..
Luckily I'm still roaming about. I need to post more but all of this technical hoo-haa isn't my cup of tea :(

D-e-f-

Banned
Luckily I'm still roaming about. I need to post more but all of this technical hoo-haa isn't my cup of tea :(

Then let the big boys talk about flips, flops, pixel density, shaders and power bricks while we discuss the cool stuff at the kids table, shall we? :D

My mind keeps coming back to the "massively singleplayer online game" patent Nintendo filed a while ago. Do you think that's what turned basically into Miiverse? I got the feeling that this somehow is part of Miiverse and the overall Firmware in a way that makes it easy for games to implement this feature.

What the patent describes is basically what happens in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls when you encounter the messages other players have left around the world. Other players playing the game online affect your single player game without directly interacting with you or actively being in your game.

Where are we seeing that? NSMB.U, NintendoLand, ZombiU. The former has had the most coverge with the "how do you feel about running into the same Koopa for the 10th time?" thing that pops up messages on the map and stuff. NintendoLand has other Miis come into your game and do shit in the hub area though that stuff was barely covered and not exactly made clear so that might not really fit the description after all. ZombiU on the other hand goes full on Dark Souls in that you can leave messages in the world and once you die your character not only becomes a Zombie in your game, but appears in the game world of your friends (and/or strangers I believe) as well so they can take it out and "end your misery" (while also looting your stuff!).

Back when the patent was published last August, some immediately thought of Animal Crossing, too.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here's a question to stir conversation:

How much would you pay to "borrow" a Wii U and one of the Demo games until it launches this Holiday? Which game demo would you want to play over the Summer and Fall?

*Note: You would not be allowed to do a tear-down on the hardware and you have to give it all back on the day it launches.

D-e-f-

Banned
Here's a question to stir conversation:

How much would you pay to "borrow" a Wii U and one of the Demo games until it launches this Holiday? Which game demo would you want to play over the Summer and Fall?

*Note: You would not be allowed to do a tear-down on the hardware and you have to give it all back on the day it launches.

I guess 20 bucks. That's about how much it would cost me usually to go to gamescom which Nintendo doesn't attend this year (thanks for nothing) to check out these games. I'd take NintendoLand (if for some magical reason all those were taken, I'd go with Game & Wario) because I'd get the most playtime out of that due to replay value and the ability to actually demo system features to people via multiplayer.

The other demos seemed way too short and repetitive in comparison even though I'd love to play Pikmin3, ZombiU and Project P-100 a lot more than N-Land and G&W.

And that is why I ran with them. Now we have people saying these were very early spec but as you see he says they are the true specs.

I still believe these are the specs of the system. then your setting yourself up for disappointment.

Meelow isn't too far off imo. That would make the 720 3 times more powerful than the U and the 720 being slightly more powerful than the PS4. Not too far off going by what's been leaked so far. All 3 consoles will be in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power, as they were last gen.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Still disappointed but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that E3 isn't as important as it used to be - example: Nintendo deliberately chose to announce the 3DS XL at Nintendo Direct instead.

I'm already on board the Hype Train for the August Nintendo Direct..

Still disappointed but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that E3 isn't as important as it used to be - example: Nintendo deliberately chose to announce the 3DS XL at Nintendo Direct instead.

Animal Crossing 3DS release date for Japan! That's all I need!
And maybe a preview of the September event for Wii U??

DjRoomba

Banned
What If!!!
Xbox 720 = Xbox 720
Wii U = Wii U
Ps4= Ps4
And nobody makes these ridiculous bs comparisons...Yeah that'll never happen.

z0m3le

Banned
What If!!!
Xbox 720 = Xbox 720
Wii U = Wii U
Ps4= Ps4

Nah, that sounds boring, how about this:

PS4 = AMD(cpu) gaming PC (AMD GPU)
Xbox 720 = Intel(cpu) gaming PC (AMD GPU)
Wii U = Gaming Laptop (AMD GPU)

a high end laptop gaming machine has a very similar comparison to a desktop gaming PC that we are starting to see with these consoles, also it's vague enough to be correct but still give everyone a good idea of the performance they are walking into.

Yeah, the message couldn't be any clearer. As far as Nintendo & core fan exectations goes, FORGET about E3 from now on. It would be nice for everyone to just let the whole E3 2012 thing go now, except it for what it was and move on.

Hoodbury

Just a couple random thoughts/questions.

1. ZombiU - How much of the full game was the demo portraying? We saw the same demo now quite a few times, going into the palace and then into the nursery and some basement area. But how much of the full game is that?
- Will B. Palace be the full game, or will all of London?
- Is it split into levels and this was just 1 level? And if you beat a level and move on to the next and then you die, do you respawn at the beginning of the game or at the beginning of each level?
- How much of multiplayer have we seen? Just a tiny portion, or is there just the one CTF mode?

2. I was watching a youtube video of someone's experience at the Wii-U thing in NYC and they showed a nice closeup of the console and it looked a lot bigger than other screenshots I've seen. It was a Gamefaqs user video, can I link it here? But ya, it looked a lot bigger than the Wii and really surprised me at it's size.

chris3116

I'm not really disappointed now. E3 is now for mainstream press and you can see that when Microsoft is about Kinect and shooters and Sony is about Wonderbook (or whatever it's called). It will not be different when all the next-gen consoles will be released.

Nintendo made the right choice of doing their own things with the Nintendo directs. It's simple, low cost in production (all you need is a camera and the script that you read) and goes to the point of what you want to announce.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo made the right choice of doing their own things with the Nintendo directs. It's simple, low cost in production (all you need is a camera and the script that you read) and goes to the point of what you want to announce.
Won't somebody think of the boothbabes!

Drago

The thing I love most about the Nintendo Directs is how short notice they are. Makes waiting a lot more bearable!

I do hate how Japan always has the best show, but that's to be expected :/

D-e-f-

Banned
Just a couple random thoughts/questions.

1. ZombiU - How much of the full game was the demo portraying? We saw the same demo now quite a few times, going into the palace and then into the nursery and some basement area. But how much of the full game is that?
- Will B. Palace be the full game, or will all of London?
- Is it split into levels and this was just 1 level? And if you beat a level and move on to the next and then you die, do you respawn at the beginning of the game or at the beginning of each level?
- How much of multiplayer have we seen? Just a tiny portion, or is there just the one CTF mode?

1. that was obviously a tiny snippet - you've seen ONE "quest" basically. your mission giver dude sends you out on missions to get things or do stuff from a basecamp, that's where every character wakes up at. I'll expect that you'll establish multiple home bases during the game but they haven't clearly said whether or not you'll be able or asked or rewarded for backtracking into earlier areas. We saw a tiny portion of one of those areas that showed off a fetch quest and what you might call a mini-boss fight. You will, however, always respawn at the base camp in a persistent world so whatever you've achieved is still there and all you need to do is get your gear back or get new gear. They said there are multiple (2?) people giving missions to the survivors and they might be at odds with each other so you might splinter into two different scenarios at some point if I got that right.

They did say, if I'm not mistaken that the game is not open world like GTA but that are these big areas that you're questing in or something. Not too sure about that, though.

I highly doubt that the CTF/horde mode hybrid is all there is to the multiplayer.

Meelow

Banned
What If!!!
Xbox 720 = Xbox 720
Wii U = Wii U
Ps4= Ps4

That's just wrong.

It's

Wii U = Atari 2600
PS4 = Atari 2600
Xbox 720 = Atari 2600

I'm not really disappointed now. E3 is now for mainstream press and you can see that when Microsoft is about Kinect and shooters and Sony is about Wonderbook (or whatever it's called). It will not be different when all the next-gen consoles will be released.

Yeah, I am going to miss E3 and will of course watch every year, the other positive thing about E3 is you get to see people's reaction at they're conferences which is fun.

AntMurda

At this point (just going by Youtube videos and such - I haven't played it), it seems like more of a Wii Play type of product than Wii Sports. Wii Play was a $10 game that was used to help sell the controllers.

If NintendoLand is the same type of product, then I could see it being included with the system as a way of helping sell the concept of the U-Pad to new owners. Until they can get the price of the pad down significantly, they don't really have any interest in selling extra pads to people - so NintendoLand doesn't make sense as a Wii-Play type of retail product.

But all the tie-ins to other Nintendo brands (Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, etc.) may encourage them to try to sell it as a standalone retail product. Hard to say at this point.

It has stronger brand power than just about any other Nintendo game bar Smash Brothers and the big Mario games (and Pokemon). It is a Nintendo-All Star game with about 5 times the production value of any "Wii" line series. People are just desperate to connect the game to "Wii Play" or "Wii Sports". It is only similar in being a new innovative product with streamlined smaller games, but dissimilar in every other way. Much stronger brand recognition, much bigger budget and production value, much deeper game. It is absolutely a $50-$60 dollar product.

The argument of "ohh its just a cheap mini game" should be a free pack in. Nintendo just sold Mario Party 9 for $50.00. And guess what, its selling extremely well.

cand

Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been reading you since WUST3 (stalker XD). Let me tell you all something: thanks for making my pre-E3 awesome. SRSLY. OK, Nintendo Conference was meh, IMO more because the order they showed the games and the infinite time they spent on Wii Fit U and Nintendoland, but reading all your theories and jokes was really fun.

So I was thinking, with all that closing studios fever, maybe making games for the next generation end up being REALLY expensive, and maybe Wii U could be a good place for the studios to explore better and cheaper options. I mean , I'm not a spec freak so I really don't care about how Crysis 2 PC looks superior. And to be honest, I chose Mario Galaxy over Skyrim (that I really like) or another PC graphics juggernaut any time.

I really hope that by cheap they don't understand bad minigame collections, but games that don't need all the particles CPU-God and GPU-Jesus can provide. Maybe they could use Wii U to test new IP's. That would be great, you know. I think Nintendo it's the only company that has the gift to mantain their IP's fresh, it's never the same game (even the new super mario series have their slice of freshness) but would be nice to see a bunch of games without a number above 2 in the title that aren't reboots.

Well to finish this awfully written ass kissing post (I'm brazilian, sorry , my english sux) can you all please wish with all your hearts that somehow a miracle will happen and we will see a banjo kazooie oldschool game in the nintendo plataforms again someday? Srsly guys T_T

bk06.jpg

Hoodbury

The thing I learned about e3 is that it is not worthy of taking a vacation day anymore. Granted this year I was out of town during the weekend before so it was still nice to take 2 extra days off to make it a long weekend; but the presentations were not something I will take vacation for in the future.

Everything is recorded and posted everywhere anyway, no reason to really watch it live.

I'm over my disappointment of Nintendo's e3 now but I still think it wasn't a very good show based on what they have coming out soon.

Coming from only having a Wii this generation, I am so ready to start playing in HD. So I know I'll be blown away once I get my hands on it. Bring it.

ASIS

What If!!!
Xbox 720 = Xbox 720
Wii U = Wii U
Ps4= Ps4
They are not ridiculous at all. You may not have noticed but not all of us are tech savvys that know the ways these consoles operate. Personally, I used these comparisons to get an approximation about the next generation consoles in terms o power, performance, and support. Yes, they don't give an accurate description, and the architecture is very different than what it was before, but it's better than nothing.

HylianTom

Banned
The thing I learned about e3 is that it is not worthy of taking a vacation day anymore. Granted this year I was out of town during the weekend before so it was still nice to take 2 extra days off to make it a long weekend; but the presentations were not something I will take vacation for in the future.
I'm glad that I didn't give-in to the temptation to take the whole week off; that would've annoyed me more than anything else.

I think from now on, I'll only be taking Nintendo's conference day off. Saving my vacation days for actual gaming marathons seems like a much more solid option.

Hoodbury

Saving my vacation days for actual gaming marathons seems like a much more solid option.

For sure. Definitely planning on taking a week or so off when the Wii-U is actually released.

Baby will still go to daycare, wife will still go to work. I'll have the whole day's to myself for glorious gaming.

HylianTom

Banned
For sure. Definitely planning on taking a week or so off when the Wii-U is actually released.

Baby will still go to daycare, wife will still go to work. I'll have the whole day's to myself for glorious gaming.
"Glorious" is a good word for it. I'll be taking my usual Nintendo Launch Week vacation as well, with no one at home but me. Already looking forward to it!

Hey Cyber, i used to love you, don't let your disappointment of this E3 makes you bitter.

And i assume 200% the post you linked (which is just a summary of tons of messages where i tried to present/illustrate an estimation of the Wii U power, considering its asymmetric screen setting). This capabilities estimation, which has been my very first post in GAF and that i detailed further in the following speculation threads with the ongoing conversations, is TOTALLY a part of all the info i relayed here that has been proved right for the most part (or are waiting for further announcements) as you can see in this track record list. Now, as explained many times, if what we saw, mostly, at E3 don't convey a positive impression of the Wii U power, it's because of the choice of games shown, not the hardware itself.

I still don't believe this guy is legit. Everything he posted in his "track record list" is vague stuff that we could have all safely predicted, nothing major, nothing very specific yet still major. Just a bunch of random fluff anyone of us could have done.

Also, remember this thread he made? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475981

Tell me that that's not one of the weirdest threads you've seen here. An OT-like thread about one of his rumors, with image headers to boot. When have you ever seen a leaker do something like that and try to get all this attention on him? There's even a Q&A section in there about him and who he is. Who does that? He tries very hard to prove that he is legit, which isn't something real leakers do or even care about.

That thread kind of gave it away for me. If you've been on the Internet long enough you can tell when people are BS'ing. For example, people who lie about being rich or ones that pose as females but are really guys. After being exposed to this stuff for so long your BS radar levels up to god-tier status and you can spot out BS from miles away. This is just how I feel -- I'm not saying this because everything he posts is positive for the Wii U, I don't care either way. I'm just not a fan of fakes online and I don't believe this guy yet.

Meelow

Banned
Smash Bros Wii U Probably Won’t Feature More Characters

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

“In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

nothing suggests that this relates to Smash Bros.

plus I doubt that the Bandai site would roll that out when Namco bandai studios is only co-developing. It's still a Nintendo game.

notice the ©2012 NBGI

no smash bros news.

It's Bandai Namco and has the strap-line 'All Star Battle'.

Whoa! That's unexpected. I wonder what they are gonna show exactly? Maybe Nintendo has been trolling us all along and Smash Bros is further along in development than they let on.

Probably not much... a few concept graphics if you're lucky, most certainly no footage because from what we know it's only just entered the planing stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom