• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Asuna sucks, I don't see what you dudes see in her.

I'm just waiting for Warmth of the Heart and I'll probably bail out until the fishing episode.

Soma

Also, I find it frightening that almost a year ago I wouldn't have recognized 90% of the names on that poll.

Now I recognize at least half.

I blame AnimeGAF for this.

Asuna sucks, I don't see what you dudes see in her.

She's literally perfect? She's the Mary Sue of waifus? I guess if you find absolute perfection boring, I can't help you there. Some people require their waifus to have one or more certain flaws which they find to be endearing. I totally understand this thinking too, but sometimes perfection is perfectly appealing and Asuna fulfills that criteria quite admirably.

Narag

SD Gundam Gaiden 3

Oh hey, there's a whole Gundam clan complete with the wizard Nu, fencer Zeta, warrior Double Zeta, and the imprisoned knight Alex.

onVpE.png

Yazan doing his thing.

z5ocL.png

The wizard Nu.

YPGd1l.png

Amuro getting his Dijeh on.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Fart Online 05
A plodding episode incapable of selling its purpose before ending. Usually this show is pretty concise about presenting information in a timely manner, but this episode was all about sitting around in boring locations dragging conversations out to points where they grow extremely wearisome. Even set up as a mystery the pieces aren't interesting enough to warrant putting together.

Urusei Yatsura 5

Sakura was my favorite character in Beautiful Dreamer, but here in her introduction episode she comes off as a much less interesting and likable character. A cranky bitch one minute and a seductive moaner the next, and it's I also am less fond of her voice here; the actor had developed a deeper tone for her by the time of the later film which is more attractive and distinctive.

3nLGP.jpg
wi5l1.jpg

Left: this episode, Right: Beautiful Dreamer

Her character design is also worse, but then all of the designs in these early UY episodes look bad. These are too simplistic and childish, with poorly arranged facial features (seriously, those lips?); the later, more mature designs work better.

AO9J5.jpg

That's not how perspective works.

On the positive side, this episode had some nice direction touches that bore the unmistakable signs of Oshii, particularly in the surreal exorcism scene.

JtktG.jpg

You don't see this kind of color scheme outside the 80s.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After installing the crunchy roll app on my ps3, I was looking through the samples and watched the first episode of Tari Tari. Then I went to crunchyroll.com and watched the next 3 or 4 episodes. I didn't expect to like it so much, but the light-hearted vibe and the fact that it's about music are a nice change of pace from the stuff I usually watch. Anyone else here seen it? It's currently airing so only 5 episode are out.

Star Driver 18
tumblr_m89c33ARsr1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

Class President singing in the karaoke room was great, that is one of the better songs in the anime. The fireworks was so crazy and hilarious and they should play that firework stripping confession game again, Takuto being on the losing end was awesome.

Battlewise
Loved Sugata's move in window star's realm
and mindblown at
class president, the maiden, seeing Sugata in his room, like what is even going on!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think it's trolls, I think it's uber-fans - I think Saki did scarily well back when the first season aired as well.

I'm genuinely surprised. I know that the first Saki series was moderately successful, but 43 characters is an astonishingly-high number for a single series. I can only assume that those franchises which eclipse Saki in popularity are simply hamstrung by a more limited pool of female characters to nominate.

After installing the crunchy roll app on my ps3, I was looking through the samples and watched the first episode of Tari Tari. Then I went to crunchyroll.com and watched the next 3 or 4 episodes. I didn't expect to like it so much, but the light-hearted vibe and the fact that it's about music are a nice change of pace from the stuff I usually watch. Anyone else here seen it? It's currently airing so only 5 episode are out.

Among those who are watching it here, it seems to be fairly well-received. I've only seen the first three episodes, and it certainly managed to grow on me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm genuinely surprised. I know that the first Saki series was moderately successful, but 43 characters is an astonishingly-high number for a single series. I can only assume that those franchises which eclipse Saki in popularity are simply hamstrung by a more limited pool of female characters to nominate.
Saki benefits from having every single type and combination possible. Cool sempai, timid sempai, yuri sempai. SDBurton probably has a chart of all the possible moe combos written down somewhere.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just wondering, are people feeling very disconnected or feel like the transition from episode to episode in SAO very jarring? I've noticed that various places are saying the transitions from episode to episode is very awkward and feel like they make little to no sense.

dimb

Just wondering, are people feeling very disconnected or feel like the transition from episode to episode in SAO very jarring? I've noticed that various places are saying the transitions from episode to episode is very awkward and feel like they make little to no sense.
What transition? They're mostly separate stories bound together by a set of characters, a location, a setting, and a premise.

kayos90

What transition? They're mostly separate stories bound together by a set of characters, a location, a setting, and a premise.

Right, that's the thing. I sort of look at it like I did with DtB but people are saying that it's very awkward because it just goes from one floor and then skips dozens to another.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki benefits from having every single type and combination possible. Cool sempai, timid sempai, yuri sempai. SDBurton probably has a chart of all the possible moe combos written down somewhere.

Seriously, you have sickly girls, prince types, low self-esteem types, little sister types, one-liner types, clueless types, genki types, glasses types, crossdressing types, princess types, delinquent types.. etc. It's amazing!

*takes a breath*

This reminds me - you should see Gosenzosama Banbanzai! sometime. The VAs for all of the major characters are the same as in Urusei Yatsura (including Sakura!) and you've probably seen enough of UY by now to appreciate an extra layer (on top of the many already present) of what Oshii was trying to do with GB!.

It's on my list; I've certainly heard a lot of interesting things about it. I wasn't aware of that business with the VAs; I'm guessing Oshii used them to reference the characters they played in UY?

All this Oshii talk reminds me that I watched Twilight Q while I was away. Maybe I'll write extended impressions one day if I feel like it, but suffice it to say that while the first episode was a uninteresting jumble, Oshii's episode was extremely atmospheric and fascinatingly obscure. I may never look at airplanes the same way.

Im more confused on how people are saying the pacing is too fast and this episode and next episode should have been split across more than two episodes, this episode was just so slow that it couldnt work for being enjoyable anime if it lasted any longer.

dimb

Right, that's the thing. I sort of look at it like I did with DtB but people are saying that it's very awkward because it just goes from one floor and then skips dozens to another.
There's no need for SOA to adhere to a linear overarching structure when the individual stories are compartmentalized to one (or occasionally two) episodes. SOA isn't about the ultimate escape from the virtual world, it's about the adaptation of players to life inside of it. A more rigid structure would simply mar the pacing further without adding anything in particular to the show.

They're adapting a bunch of side stories that were written long after the original novel. In the original novel, episode 1 happens, then the story jumps all the way 2 years later to floor 74 near the end of the game.

kayos90

I already know how the LN is. I'm on vol 9. I was just wondering if yall find it strange that it's weird that it's done in a chronological SS format and how it makes so many jumps that make it feel awkward. I don't feel like that since I think of it like DtB but others feel differently. I just wanted yalls thoughts on it. Thanks.

Narag

I already know how the LN is. I'm on vol 9. I was just wondering if yall find it strange that it's weird that it's done in a chronological SS format and how it makes so many jumps that make it feel awkward. I don't feel like that since I think of it like DtB but others feel differently. I just wanted yalls thoughts on it. Thanks.

It's jarring and I wish it felt a little more episodic where anywhere would be a good jumping in point. It's still better than episode 2 being 73 floors later though.

dimb

Does anyone actually care what happens on level seven in SAO? No? Okay.

Andrew J.

There's no need for SOA to adhere to a linear overarching structure when the individual stories are compartmentalized to one (or occasionally two) episodes. SOA isn't about the ultimate escape from the virtual world, it's about the adaptation of players to life inside of it. A more rigid structure would simply mar the pacing further without adding anything in particular to the show.

Agreed. The OCD gamer parts of our brains might want to see every floor and and every boss, and understand with exacting detail how the frontline players are making progress, but that level of granularity would be actively detrimental to the stories that that the show wants to tell.

EDIT: Just rediscovered this quote from Andrew Hussie. Although he's talking about Homestuck, I believe it applies equally well to the transition from the first two episodes of SAO to where we are now:

We can look at his through our obsessive gamer goggles and say "man they've only gone through 1 gate! fuck that!"

Or we can look at it through our storyteller goggles (i.e. my goggles) and realize shit like that doesn't matter. Are we REALLY going to sit there and believe progress will be meted out through the rigorous, literal gaming logic presented? Are we going to go through every gate, watch every subquest, slay every monster and gain every level?

Or is it going to become increasingly less granular, as the trend has shown? Leapfrogging over the unnecessary, the logic and mechanics already wrung of their story mileage through the intensive granularity early in the story? How could I rationally proceed without doing this?

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket 18

I think it took too many episodes for one game but it does serve as a reset point for the story. Can't wait for
Kiyoshi to enter the series

wonzo

Banned
Folktales From Japan 19
Once upon a time, a persons Lastday would arrive when they turned 60, wandering mystics would save travellers exploited into delivering dubious letters by "water gods" and poor people would move up the ladder of society by dressing up as samurai and giving people the evil eye.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm watching the second Gundam movie and it struck me how much Ray and Charles are taken from Ramba Ral and his wife. Even some of the wording is the same.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Folktales From Japan 19

Once upon a time, a persons Lastday would arrive when they turned 60, wandering mystics would save travellers exploited into delivering dubious letters by "water gods" and poor people would move up the ladder of society by dressing up as samurai and giving people the evil eye.

Whenever I see images from this, it never fails to amaze me just how miserable and haggard Japanese peasants are depicted, even in (presumably) lighthearted shows targeted at small children. I get the feeling that life must have been royally fucking rife with abject despair for people there before the modern age.

Nafe

I really regret being such a lazy fuck about registering for an account for so long because I was honestly captivated by AnimeGAF's Penguindrum discussions and really wanted to jump in. It's what got me reading the thread on a regular basis.

I was actually going to join months earlier than I did but I didn't realize you had to be accepted and the average wait time was two or three months. I decided not to for awhile then later decided I was interested enough and requested to join.

I was originally attracted because I wanted to take part in the gaming discussion because I was getting sick of certain gaming blogs.

I initially visited the gaming side about 99% of the time to get a forum that just covered gaming in a general sense. Other forums could be okay for conversation but focused on one specific series or genre and I was looking for something more broad.

In winter 2011 I decided to make one of my rare trips to off topic and happened to see the Anime OT and it worked out great because I was looking for just a general anime community too. As I mentioned before, one of the reasons I really like AnimeGaf is the discussion of older and less well known shows.

I briefly considered, and actually executed, a scheme to simply create a new thread for every anime I had watched and place "LTTP" in the title. As you might imagine these threads had limited success and extremely low post counts.

Unfortunately, those look to be as popular as your Angel's Egg thread. Well it won't really accomplish anything probably to post in those threads but I'm going to give them a read later.

Of course, at that point seasonal anime threads would only reach a few thousand posts at max. For example, that thread only reached 1000 posts. I wasn't sure if talking about older anime was acceptable in a seasonal anime thread, because I imagined that such discussion would technically be 'off-topic' but I did it anyway.

You were such a rebel in your earlier days here at NeoGaf.

It seems no one mentioned to you about the news story that appeared after Mawaru Penguindrum aired that one of the members involved with the gas attacks who was still on the loose gave himslef up to police. It may have been Penguindrum influence or just entirely coincidental timing but interesting none the less.

You can probably find out more but I just did a quick Google search and picked this result here

Well you should remember this is DTL, it's probably because there aren't any good brolust characters in it more than anything else and evil female main characters. SM is really an anti-DTL show.

Regarding KyoAni shows, to be honest there is a fair amount of them I haven't seen either. I take it you've seen K-ON? (S1, S2 and Movie)

Yeah, I'm aware it's DTL but I was curious what his answer would be.
I've seen everything of K-On! but the movie. I'd like to watch that soon.

http://sailormoon.biz/library/misc/sailor_moon_pantyshot_guide.pdf

Universal appeal! This show wasn't made for just the young girls.

Someone had too much time and interest in this...At least they do mention that some of them aren't really panty shots as the girls are really wearing more leotard type outfits with little skirts over top. Basically the same thing for when the girls are figure skating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Folktales From Japan 19
You know, if this show was like UtaKoi, I probably would have watched more than one episode. I imagine it's still as "pleasant"/safe as that first episode. lol

Seriously, you have sickly girls, prince types, low self-esteem types, little sister types, one-liner types, clueless types, genki types, glasses types, crossdressing types, princess types, delinquent types.. etc. It's amazing!

*takes a breath*
Don't get too excited!

Dog Days' 5

Not much to say about the episode. Not very importnat. Isuka seems cool. Seeing D'Arquien not 100% composed like she usually is was cute.

Dresden

Joshiraku - 03

Just like ep2 in that it starts off amusingly enough but it slowly trails down until, at about the halfway point, the cute is just about the only thing that's left and I have no idea if they're making jokes or puns or what. Just can't sustain anything and I don't even remember most of what they said after the 'mari is not feminine' stuff was over. It was . . . cute tho. Still fond of the colour-coded designs.

As of ep 3:

Red > Black > Green > Yellow > Brown

Jarmel

Banned
For Gundam Z, do I watch all the episodes of the TV series or the trilogy of movies similar to what I'm doing with the original series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom