• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kurosaki Ichigo
(08-16-2006, 06:19 PM)

I hope its not old...I laughed at the stone where the character is supposed to read something :lol but the game looks awesome, I want that grey dog in my team.
ethelred
(08-16-2006, 06:20 PM)
Is he riding... a jetski? The hell? :lol

Aside from that, yeah, the game is continuing to look quite excellent.
fresquito
(08-16-2006, 06:25 PM)
Wow, looks amazing for the hardware its running on. Best graphics on the DS yet? Id say so.
Magicpaint
(08-16-2006, 06:27 PM)
What impresses me the most is how the game is able to retain the looks of the monster designs from DQVIII.

Originally Posted by fresquito

Wow, looks amazing for the hardware its running on. Best graphics on the DS yet? Id say so.

I still say VJ: DT and Mario Hoops 3 on 3. :D
king zell
(08-16-2006, 06:36 PM)
nice . more scans from V-jump mag for this week :

Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book

http://img.3112.net/archive/2006/08/...22855963ba.jpg

FF III , VI , V :

http://img.3112.net/archive/2006/08/...5a08ee980c.jpg
Last edited by king zell; 08-16-2006 at 06:42 PM.
jarrod
Banned
(08-16-2006, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by fresquito

Actually, I'm guessing DQMJ, FF3, FFCC, Chobobo's Book and Mario Hoops all run on the same Square Enix/Matrix Software co-developed engine.
fresquito
(08-16-2006, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by jarrod

Actually, I'm guessing DQMJ, FF3, FFCC, Chobobo's Book and Mario Hoops all run on the same Square Enix/Matrix Software co-developed engine.

Probably youre right. So, while graphics may be of the same caliber, I still think this game looks somewhat better than the game syouve mentioned (they look great though).
wonderfuldays
(08-16-2006, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by king zell

nice . more scans from V-jump mag for this week :

FF III , VI , V :

http://img.3112.net/archive/2006/08/...5a08ee980c.jpg

I believe it is not FF IV, it says FF VI coming this winter!:D
NomarTyme
(08-16-2006, 06:48 PM)
Is this from the new Famitsu this week?
tanasten
glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
(08-16-2006, 07:05 PM)
All of those games look absolutely stunning. Art over tech mens, that's what I say!
JCX
(08-16-2006, 07:10 PM)
It looks worse than I remember, but will probably look better in motion.
bluemax
Banned
(08-16-2006, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Magicpaint

What impresses me the most is how the game is able to retain the looks of the monster designs from DQVIII.

I still say VJ: DT and Mario Hoops 3 on 3. :D

Viewtiful Joe really? I played through the whole thing and didn't think it looked that good even for DS. Shrug.
thefro
(08-16-2006, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by wonderfuldays

I believe it is not FF IV, it says FF VI coming this winter!:D

Whoa... that scan shows a BRAND NEW CLASS for FFIII.
Symytry
(08-16-2006, 07:59 PM)
I'm still disappointed that Joker is nothing more than a Pokemon-type game. They should've gone all out and made a proper portable DQ game.
MasterMFauli
Banned
(08-16-2006, 08:04 PM)
Well, looks nothing near as good as Tales of the Tempest, but a 3D-Dragon Quest Monster is in either case great. I just hope, this game will have a real story, and a better monster-crossing-system.
Magicpaint
(08-16-2006, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by bluemax

Viewtiful Joe really? I played through the whole thing and didn't think it looked that good even for DS. Shrug.

3D on both screens was very impresive to me, and it looks very much like console Viewtiful Joe which is also very impressive in my eyes.

Originally Posted by Symytry

I'm still disappointed that Joker is nothing more than a Pokemon-type game. They should've gone all out and made a proper portable DQ game.

Well, it's a Monsters game and part of a DQ spin-off series, you sound like you've never heard of the DQM games.
Last edited by Magicpaint; 08-16-2006 at 08:08 PM.
darkvir
(08-16-2006, 08:29 PM)
I really wish it was a *real* rpg/adventure game like DQVIII, and not some monster collecting game. I luv the art (concepts and in-game).
Symytry
(08-16-2006, 08:31 PM)

Well, it's a Monsters game and part of a DQ spin-off series, you sound like you've never heard of the DQM games.

I played the first monsters game on the gameboy color back in the day. I trudged through it for a good 20 hours or so, and I never did get around to finishing it. There's basically no story/weak story in these kinds of games and the focus is on breeding monsters which to me is boring.

But hey, if you like it, that's fine with me man. I'll spend my $40 on a game that offers a little bit more :)
Magicpaint
(08-16-2006, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Symytry

I played the first monsters game on the gameboy color back in the day. I trudged through it for a good 20 hours or so, and I never did get around to finishing it. There's basically no story/weak story in these kinds of games and the focus is on breeding monsters which to me is boring.

But hey, if you like it, that's fine with me man. I'll spend my $40 on a game that offers a little bit more :)

It's not like proper DQ games are heavy on story or anything like that though. It's still mostly about the monster slaying and dungeons and DQM games have them loads.
Symytry
(08-16-2006, 09:10 PM)

It's not like proper DQ games are heavy on story or anything like that though. It's still mostly about the monster slaying and dungeons and DQM games have them loads.

Okay, now its my turn to ask you; Have YOU ever played a real Dragon Quest game? The story is usually huge and involving!
BooJoh
(08-16-2006, 10:01 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks the monsters look absolutely terrible in this game? I love cel-shading, but really... what made it work so well in DQ8 was that the cel-shaded monsters looked like the originals. The DQMJ monsters are misshapen blobs with less than half the detail of the beautiful sprites in the SNES DQ games.

I hope this game looks better in motion.
Chris Michael
Banned
(08-16-2006, 10:52 PM)
SE are absolute masters of DS grafix. DQM, FFIII, Chocobo, Mario BB... all of these games are arguably the best looking on the system, even better than Nintendo's games.
Pastry
(08-16-2006, 11:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Chris Michael

SE are absolute masters of DS grafix. DQM, FFIII, Chocobo, Mario BB... all of these games are arguably the best looking on the system, even better than Nintendo's games.

Phantom Hourglass is the only Nintendo game I can think of that is as good looking as those games.
Vic
Please help me with my bad english
(08-17-2006, 12:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Pastry

Phantom Hourglass is the only Nintendo game I can think of that is as good looking as those games.

Prime Hunters, everyone always forget this game, on purpose
Chris Michael
Banned
(08-17-2006, 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted by VicAlpha

For good reason. The art direction is atrocious and the game is bleh. (online is fun tho!)
Vic
Please help me with my bad english
(08-17-2006, 12:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Chris Michael

For good reason. The art direction is atrocious and the game is bleh. (online is fun tho!)

NOT YOU AGAIN!!! STOP HATING 3D DS GAMES!!
jarrod
Banned
(08-17-2006, 12:46 AM)

I still think Mario Kart DS looks rather good too. As for other 3rd parties, Vicarious Vision's THAS is pretty great looking, Namco's Tales of the Tempest is stunning and Sonic Team's original E3 2004 Sonic Rub demo (who's engine got reused for Sonic Rush boss sequences) looked fantastic.
Chris Michael
Banned
(08-17-2006, 12:55 AM)

NOT YOU AGAIN!!! STOP HATING 3D DS GAMES!!

uhh have we met? :lol