• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

MadeInBeats
Banned
(08-28-2012, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Teletraan1

My Stereo has been perfectly fine for every other device up until this one. When I plug a HDMI into my TV using 6 channel PCM the best my TV is going to output via the optical out or the speakers on the TV is 2.0 stereo to my receiver so essentially I am never going to get higher than 2.0 stereo without another purchase unless there is a dongle. Which was my original question before everyone decided to jump in with suggestions on how this would be done or called out as a dirty poor for not upgrading something that wasn't worth upgrading until this very point in time. (and still isnt because I have no idea how cheap Nintendo is on even supporting proper audio codecs.) If and when the next round of game systems/bluray players/cable boxes/computers don't offer any other alternative to HDMI for sound as they currently do I will gladly upgrade.

I know that even the cheapest new receiver has HDMI. I would have just liked to not have to make an "upgrade" to something that will probably be overall worse than my current receiver but has this functionality.

Again this whole point of concern is moot if there is a dongle that allows for optical out. So I will wait for news on a dongle before I even decide to purchase this as the launch line up looks like barf anyway.

How many PS360 games sport 5.1 sound?

@Ideaman, have you heard anything regarding sound on WiiU games?

Fact that Nintendo support Netflix and other services, which have 5.1 sound, I agree that despite what sound WiiU games support, they need to offer different options for users to throughput their sound, like you say, with a dongle.
The_Lump
(08-28-2012, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

asymmetric gameplay, asymmetric CPU, asymmetric screens setup, asymmetric flash storage (512 for OS/8GB for the rest), asymmetric shape, asymmetric gamepad's buttons layout...

They should have called it "Asiimiitrii"

It's all falling into place now.... mind = blown :O

Originally Posted by VAPitts

ok in all seriousness, why am i being looked down upon for speaking against something that has been going on for several pages and has 0 evidence of being true?

Well to be fair you did seem to go straight off at the deep end dude. You were just given a pretty straight forward explanation and it seems to have wound you up. Maybe you misinterpreted? (or maybe I have?) But I think
what D-E-F was saying was that the Cc/Cc Pro cannot work with EVERY Wii U game as some will use the two extra button inputs which the Wii U Pro controller and GamePad utilise. That figures. Of course those which don't use any additional inputs to those provided on either the CC or the CC Pro, will likely support said CC/CC Pro controllers. Also figures.
KennyLinder
(08-28-2012, 11:29 PM)

Originally Posted by MadeInBeats

Fact that Nintendo support Netflix and other services, which have 5.1 sound, I agree that despite what sound WiiU games support, they need to offer different options for users to throughput their sound, like you say, with a dongle.

Every single Xbox 360 game has 5.1. It's a requirement (or at least it was). Not sure about PS3, but I would imagine a very, very high percentage of games support 5.1.
The_Lump
(08-28-2012, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Smurfman256

wouldn't it be a smarter idea to star off with an e6760 as a base model since it already has ludicrously low power draw, and THEN add features and modifications?

Wouldn't have been possible in 2009 when they were putting the thing together :D.

Another possibility (pure unadulterated speculation) is that the r700 based gpu they used was simply the closest they could get to their intended target specs. Maybe the e6760 was in the pipeline and thats what they wanted but it was nowhere near ready at the time?
Last edited by The_Lump; 08-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-28-2012, 11:36 PM)

Only positive things, with a surprising quality for the gamepad speakers.

On development side, i know that a former SDK revision (the 2.05 i think) was kinda buggy for sound, and some developers preferred to remain on the previous one while waiting for a fix. It's settled since.

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !
Last edited by IdeaMan; 08-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
The_Lump
(08-28-2012, 11:38 PM)

On development side, i know that a former SDK revision (the 2.05 i think) was kinda buggy for sound, and some developers preferred to remain on the previous one while waiting for a fix. It's settled since.

Oh and the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Nice B)
big_erk
(08-28-2012, 11:39 PM)

ok in all seriousness, why am i being looked down upon for speaking against something that has been going on for several pages and has 0 evidence of being true?

...and with that, VAPitts is gone.
Last edited by big_erk; 08-28-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Sadist
(08-28-2012, 11:39 PM)
Just 15 days left... finally.
MadeInBeats
Banned
(08-28-2012, 11:44 PM)

awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

When I read this bit a dolphin appeared before me and slapped me really hard in the face with it's hard wet flipper. Why?

So no word on if any launch games will have 5.1 sound or anything mentioned about 5.1 at all?

EDIT: oh, and was the bolded just about sound or overall?
Javier
(08-28-2012, 11:45 PM)

Oh and the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Man, the hype is reaching a level too high. These next two weeks are going to be sloooow.

And I see this thread has claimed its first victim.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-28-2012, 11:47 PM)

When I read this bit a dolphin appeared before me and slapped me really hard in the face with it's hard wet flipper. Why?

So no word on if any launch games will have 5.1 sound or anything mentioned about 5.1 at all?

EDIT: oh, and was the bolded just about sound or overall?

Well, some middleware added the support of 5.1 since a moment now. For specific launch games using it, not sure, i hope :)

for the edit: it's written, it's the overall performances.
MadeInBeats
Banned
(08-28-2012, 11:51 PM)

Well, some middleware added the support of 5.1 since a moment now. For specific launch games using it, not sure, i hope :)

Well, awesome info there, very, very interesting. Another beer for Ideaman bar tender ;)
PhoReal
(08-28-2012, 11:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Spieler Eins

Apparantly Kirby sells like shit in EU. I would have bought the collection, looks really neat, but at least its just a minor loss compared to what else has missed the US on the other hand.

Rub it in, ya jerk! ;)
BY2K
(08-28-2012, 11:52 PM)

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

You're still doing this, you damn frenchie?
The_Lump
(08-28-2012, 11:54 PM)

Even better. Thanks for the tidbits!

Can you put it into some context? What exactly have they massively improved upon? Sorry to beg for scraps :D
GameplayWhore
(08-28-2012, 11:56 PM)

Originally Posted by big_erk

...and with that, VAPitts is gone.

I wish he had replied to my post, as I tried to make it clear what I thought the original post meant about the CC[P] being not wholly compatible with games made for the Pro Controller. But I get the impression that he put me on ignore a while ago on account of being too anti-Nintendo.

HYPE !

Is the performance increase at least partly due to sound processing being more easily offloadable to the DSP?
flippedb
Banned
(08-28-2012, 11:58 PM)
Oh Ideaman, why you do this to us?!
The_Lump
(08-29-2012, 12:01 AM)

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

I wish he had replied to my post, as I tried to make it clear what I thought the original post meant about the CC[P] being not wholly compatible with games made for the Pro Controller. But I get the impression that he put me on ignore a while ago on account of being too anti-Nintendo.

Is the performance increase at least partly due to sound processing being more easily offloadable to the DSP?

Me too. Wanted a reply I mean, not the ignore part.

And yeah come to think of it I remember reading about the DSP now being utilised since SDK 2.0.5 (which was buggy) and unburdening some of the other hardware as a result.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-29-2012, 12:03 AM)

Originally Posted by The_Lump

Even better. Thanks for the tidbits!

Can you put it into some context? What exactly have they massively improved upon? Sorry to beg for scraps :D

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to many parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms (if it was needed) that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.
Last edited by IdeaMan; 08-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.
majik13

Jesus, none of you lot not got optical out on your TVs? Come on, get with the times!!

unfortunately in most cases, the tv does not carry the surround sound through the TV. Optical out of a TV is generally only to get surround sound from cable/ or a coax connection input into the tv. If you pass hdmi to the tv, then Optical out, Pretty sure it is standard regulation to down sample to stereo, or no audio at all.

It sucks, I think it is a part of DRM rearing its ugly head.

My surround headphone receiver only has 1 optical audio input. Both the ps3 and 360 are being split/merged in to 1 line. Even though My TV does have Optical out, I do not think I will be able to get surround sound out of the wii u.
Last edited by majik13; 08-29-2012 at 12:11 AM.
onilink88

Originally Posted by The_Lump

Wouldn't have been possible in 2009 when they were putting thing together :D.

Yup.

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

To supplement this question, is CPU work also being offloaded to the GPU at this point?

EDIT: ignore the above question. :P
Last edited by onilink88; 08-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
JJConrad
Sucks at viral marketing

Part of the piling on is because there was confusion about what was being said, the other being some subtle baiting on his part questioning you're intelligence and integrity. Your justin timberlake post play right into it. Neither side took the time to evaluate the others position.

Def's original statement is worded wrong. It's easy to miss his context; I did it myself and have even altered this post because of it. He said that it wouldn't work with "...ANY Wii U games..." which is incorrect and silly to assume. He should have said that it wouldn't work with "...'ALL' Wii U games..." referring back to the original question and would have been more accurate as developer needs to program their game to use.
MadeInBeats
Banned
(08-29-2012, 12:08 AM)

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to a lot of parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it definitively confirms that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitively have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF uck!

Last edited by MadeInBeats; 08-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.
brainpann
(08-29-2012, 12:09 AM)

HYPE !

Hype Get!
The_Lump
(08-29-2012, 12:10 AM)

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to a lot of parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Wow, that's great news. And thanks for taking the time to reply :)
Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-29-2012, 12:13 AM)

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to many parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms if it was needed that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Who are we talking about here lol? Developers or specific devs or what?
XtremeXpider
(08-29-2012, 12:15 AM)

All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

Assassin's Creed 3 demo at Gamescom count as enhanced or it count as before enhancement?
Pineconn
(08-29-2012, 12:16 AM)
Heck yes, my first time getting hyped by IdeaMan. The next few weeks will be awesome! :D D:

Originally Posted by Javier

And I see this thread has claimed its first victim.

I can't say it wasn't earned...
DAREALGUMMY
(08-29-2012, 12:16 AM)
Ideaman hype! *licks fingers* it tastes so good!
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-29-2012, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

Who are we talking about here lol? Developers or specific devs or what?

It's for existing games, already presented.
The_Lump
(08-29-2012, 12:18 AM)
Not to change the subject from Ideaman's rather tasty morsel of info...

But I've just been in the "3DS supports 128GB SDXC" thread. Does anyone think this will also work with Wii U? I'd much rather get a massive High Speed SD card than have an HDD sat in my lounge :D
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-29-2012, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by BY2K

You're still doing this, you damn frenchie?

Return to the IRC you ! >< It was fun back in E3 :D
DAREALGUMMY
(08-29-2012, 12:19 AM)
Possibly but they're pretty expensive aren't they?
gamergirly
(08-29-2012, 12:20 AM)

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms (if it was needed) that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Idea Mon Mon Mon. We need those Nintendo Mon
Aguila
#ICONIC
(08-29-2012, 12:20 AM)

HYPE !

Thank you for adding more hype to our hype.
Oersted
(08-29-2012, 12:22 AM)

HYPE !

choo choo
The_Lump
(08-29-2012, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by DAREALGUMMY

Possibly but they're pretty expensive aren't they?

Hmmm, can be had for around 100. So yeah pretty steep but an 128GB SSD would be more. And the SD card would be worth it imo as I don't want anymore boxes around my tv. Really hope this is possible..
shinra-bansho
(08-29-2012, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by XtremeXpider

but they were specific:

Which common sense tells us is nonsense. One of the cores being of similar nature, that bg suggested/speculated, is the essentially where the line of plausibility is drawn.

Originally Posted by schuelma

That is why I am expecting a lot of new game announcements in the next few weeks coming out of Japan. There simply has to be a lot more coming.

I would expect ports of PS3 titles - e.g. Ni no Kuni - would work well with the screen.

-----

Also I'm assuming they must be in production phase by now considering the launch is at most two and a bit months away.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(08-29-2012, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

I would expect ports of PS3 titles - e.g. Ni no Kuni - would work well with the screen.

Yup. Ni no Kuni seems like a good candidate. Probably a musou port or two, and other stuff.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-29-2012, 12:33 AM)

It's for existing games, already presented.

So. What youre saying is. Is that existing games have some sort of graphical improvments?
Banned
(08-29-2012, 12:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Moz La Punk

I'm pretty down with Nintendoland. I'm not saying I'm going to play the hell out of it, although I'm sure it'll be used for some multiplayer nights with friends. But I'm down with the possible philosophy behind it. I think I read on this forum some time ago that Nintendoland is Nintendo's way to introduce casual players to the 'core' Nintendo franchises. That is in line with the idea that Nintendo wants to mold both casual and core markets together into one big army of Nintendo fans. Nintendoland, at launch, is the first step in getting casual gamers familiar with the Nintendo franchises, such as Mario, F-Zero, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etcetera.

It is also for that reason that I think bundling the game with the Wii U is an absolute must. That way, everyone buying the Wii U will play it. I'm also not opposed to the idea of bundling the Wii U with a download code for Nintendoland. That way almost everyone will know the way to Nintendo's eshop the second they play their first Wii U-game.

I hope Nintendo takes this route. Would be very smart indeed.

The problem with NintendoLand is it doesn't reflect the gameplay elements of those franchises. You're better off just demoing a level from each franchise or turning the levels into a minigame type thing so ppl know what the franchise consists of. Zelda game should be a sword combat game, world 1-1 should be the Mario game, a race should be F-Zero's game, etc.
MadeInBeats
Banned
(08-29-2012, 12:38 AM)

So. What youre saying is. Is that existing games have some sort of graphical improvments?

I think what people want to know is have these improvements been unleashed on demo units recently, or are we still to see new builds with these improvements.

Do yo know anything about Ubi having issues getting particle effects working on AC3. why they were missing from navel battle?
Last edited by MadeInBeats; 08-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Kouriozan
(08-29-2012, 12:41 AM)
Nice to see Ideaman hyping us again, I missed it since WUST :)
2 weeks left! I know it's nothing when you waited for more than a year >.<
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-29-2012, 12:42 AM)

Well, all i can say is explained in my posts: some already announced and presented games on Wii U, saw their framerate greatly improved during their development, since my Spring posts. It shows that developers got a better grasp on the system, on the tools to make their titles on it, etc. And yep, this cool news comes with improvement in the visual department also (more effects, and implementation of anti-aliasing, etc.).
shinra-bansho
(08-29-2012, 12:47 AM)
Have any changes been made to the hardware at this final stage that would be improving performance - i.e. as I've read on here, often clockspeeds aren't finalized until very late in development?

What would you define as greatly improved e.g. Going from 30 fps -> 60 fps. Going from a choppy 30 (or 60 fps) to stable 30 (or 60) fps?
tkscz
(08-29-2012, 12:48 AM)

Well, all i can say is explained in my posts: some already announced and presented games on Wii U, saw their framerate greatly improved during their development, since my Spring posts. It shows that developers got a better grasp on the system, on the tools to make their titles on it, etc. And yep, this cool news comes with improvement in the visual department also (more effects, and implementation of anti-aliasing, etc.).

Well then, I guess all the haters will just have to

(Sorry, I just wanted to use this image).
Redford
aka Cabbie
(08-29-2012, 12:51 AM)
Yes, back on Gaming side.

Grok4Spock
(08-29-2012, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by 10k

The problem with NintendoLand is it doesn't reflect the gameplay elements of those franchises. You're better off just demoing a level from each franchise or turning the levels into a minigame type thing so ppl know what the franchise consists of. Zelda game should be a sword combat game, world 1-1 should be the Mario game, a race should be F-Zero's game, etc.

Nintendo Land isn't as much about the franchises as it is using them as themes for different ways to showcase all the functions and features of the Wii U GamePad. The whole theme park thing is a way for Nintendo to show what Miiverse is capable of..
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(08-29-2012, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

Have any changes been made to the hardware at this final stage that would be improving performance - i.e. as I've read on here, often clockspeeds aren't finalized until very late in development?

What would you define as greatly improved e.g. Going from 30 fps -> 60 fps. Going from a choppy 30 (or 60 fps) to stable 30 (or 60) fps?

well, i used bold and underline. So it's great great, not meh great. It's not just 5 fps more. Don't know however if this kind of improvement has been witnessed across the board, for other games, but it involves at least a few ones.

Now i need to sleep :p
Daknight
(08-29-2012, 12:59 AM)
Man, I am surprise my sister is bugging me so much about information on Wii U O_O I have no idea how she heard of the thing giving she isn't an avid gamer or anything. But for months she is been asking me when it comes out and price.

Probably saw the spike recording of Wii U that was on the DVR at my dad's place or something.

Now she is got me wanting information so badly...and here I was trying to stay unhype for Sept 13 and just be surprise...but damn it, between her calling and reading Ideaman's info...I have bought the hype train ticket with no return!