• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
i'm adamant? dude you're basically starting a fire because the CC controllers don't have clickable sticks. the same whining and crying that went on that made Nintendo change the default Wii U controllers (primarily the Gamepad because we knew nothing of the Pro Controller at the time) to have clickable sticks. but you're right, why am i even responding to you. it's obvious you didn't get enough attention when you were a child

in the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAiZmpwtkqw

I'm only seeing you crying about it

Stoof

i'm adamant? dude you're basically starting a fire because the CC controllers don't have clickable sticks. the same whining and crying that went on that made Nintendo change the default Wii U controllers (primarily the Gamepad because we knew nothing of the Pro Controller at the time) to have clickable sticks. but you're right, why am i even responding to you. it's obvious you didn't get enough attention when you were a child

From my point of view you seem to be the only one getting all defensive about something silly...

Funniest most clueless matter of post in minuets..my god lol

Fact is that Im so used to playing Call of Duty with clickable sticks. Its how I freaking run in this game! So there is a point in this discussion yeah. How are you going to compete against other players online if you cant run, hah. Wouldnt make sense.

GDGF

Soothsayer
this is how you see that the bad news and/or the first new always get more attention. the 30min delay thing got heard by everyone but hardly anyone noticed that they then cleared this up and said that it refers to flagged messages.

ALL YOUR MESSAGES WILL GO THROUGH IMMEDIATELY!

There will be options to flag questionable messages which will THEN be reviewed by Nintendo staff.

This is fucking great news. I thought Nintendo had gone crazy for a sec.

OK so we know the The Avengers is coming out for Kinect and WiiU. Do you think that the Wiiu will mimic kinect controls using wiimote+ and nun chuck alongside the game pad camera while its sitting in it's dock?

Yea the lack of Kirby's Anniversary Collection is baffling. I might have even bought the thing because I never really played a Kirby game for more than 5 minutes outside of Epic Yarn.

Apparantly Kirby sells like shit in EU. I would have bought the collection, looks really neat, but at least its just a minor loss compared to what else has missed the US on the other hand.

D-e-f-

Banned
Apparantly Kirby sells like shit in EU. I would have bought the collection, looks really neat, but at least its just a minor loss compared to what else has missed the US on the other hand.

I might still import it for the fancy box, soundtrack and virtual Kirby museum. But they might also pull an Epic Yarn and put it out next February lol.

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation

You're most welcome!

Bullshit, way more people have SDTV's than HDTV's still.

Yea, more people need to protect themselves ... these SDTVs are really nasty business I hear...

USE PROTECTION!

Sadist

Yea the lack of Kirby's Anniversary Collection is baffling. I might have even bought the thing because I never really played a Kirby game for more than 5 minutes outside of Epic Yarn.
It's not. NoE hates Kirby. The majority of Kirby games released 4-6 months after the US launch.

Epic Yarn was out in October 2011? We got it in February.

Teletraan1

Banned
Jesus, none of you lot not got optical out on your TVs? Come on, get with the times!!

My Stereo has been perfectly fine for every other device up until this one. When I plug a HDMI into my TV using 6 channel PCM the best my TV is going to output via the optical out or the speakers on the TV is 2.0 stereo to my receiver so essentially I am never going to get higher than 2.0 stereo without another purchase unless there is a dongle. Which was my original question before everyone decided to jump in with suggestions on how this would be done or called out as a dirty poor for not upgrading something that wasn't worth upgrading until this very point in time. (and still isnt because I have no idea how cheap Nintendo is on even supporting proper audio codecs.) If and when the next round of game systems/bluray players/cable boxes/computers don't offer any other alternative to HDMI for sound as they currently do I will gladly upgrade.

I know that even the cheapest new receiver has HDMI. I would have just liked to not have to make an "upgrade" to something that will probably be overall worse than my current receiver but has this functionality.

Again this whole point of concern is moot if there is a dongle that allows for optical out. So I will wait for news on a dongle before I even decide to purchase this as the launch line up looks like barf anyway.

The_Lump

Banned
OK, but what would the multiplier be in relation to a TI99/4A?

I kid, I kid. Thanks.

Surprisingly, only 6x TI99/4A cos, you know, not enough shaders and the wrong type of RAM.

When will they learn.

srsly though, I'm liking bg's "assymetric" (see what I did there) CPU core theory. I remember someone on b3D mentioned a similar idea and it sounded highly plausible and very Nintendo like.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Surprisingly, only 6x TI99/4A cos, you know, not enough shaders and the wrong type of RAM.

When will they learn.

srsly though, I'm liking bg's "assymetric" (see what I did there) CPU core theory. I remember someone on b3D mentioned a similar idea and it sounded highly plausible and very Nintendo like.

asymmetric gameplay, asymmetric CPU, asymmetric screens setup, asymmetric flash storage (512 for OS/8GB for the rest), asymmetric shape, asymmetric gamepad's buttons layout...

They should have called it "Asiimiitrii"

D-e-f-

Banned
asymmetric gameplay, asymmetric CPU, asymmetric screens setup, asymmetric flash storage (512 for OS/8GB for the rest), asymmetric shape, asymmetric gamepad's buttons layout...

Sounds too Greek to me.

perfectstrangerstitle65pg0.jpg

:D

Boney

Banned

Obviously Wii U is just a social commentary about the expert system and capitalism

ok in all seriousness, why am i being looked down upon for speaking against something that has been going on for several pages and has 0 evidence of being true?

Because you're being way rude about a completely plausible explanation.

ok in all seriousness, why am i being looked down upon for speaking against something that has been going on for several pages and has 0 evidence of being true?
As an outside observer it looks like you are just here to argue... He raised a valid point concerning controller layout and you attacked him for it. I can't follow any logic in your ramblings other than to act out and get attention... I would assume that is why.

On Topic:

I really hope Epic Yarn gets a WiiU sequel. Eshop would be good enough for me.

My Stereo has been perfectly fine for every other device up until this one. When I plug a HDMI into my TV using 6 channel PCM the best my TV is going to output via the optical out or the speakers on the TV is 2.0 stereo to my receiver so essentially I am never going to get higher than 2.0 stereo without another purchase unless there is a dongle. Which was my original question before everyone decided to jump in with suggestions on how this would be done or called out as a dirty poor for not upgrading something that wasn't worth upgrading until this very point in time. (and still isnt because I have no idea how cheap Nintendo is on even supporting proper audio codecs.) If and when the next round of game systems/bluray players/cable boxes/computers don't offer any other alternative to HDMI for sound as they currently do I will gladly upgrade.

I know that even the cheapest new receiver has HDMI. I would have just liked to not have to make an "upgrade" to something that will probably be overall worse than my current receiver but has this functionality.

Again this whole point of concern is moot if there is a dongle that allows for optical out. So I will wait for news on a dongle before I even decide to purchase this as the launch line up looks like barf anyway.

How many PS360 games sport 5.1 sound?

@Ideaman, have you heard anything regarding sound on WiiU games?

Fact that Nintendo support Netflix and other services, which have 5.1 sound, I agree that despite what sound WiiU games support, they need to offer different options for users to throughput their sound, like you say, with a dongle.

The_Lump

Banned

It's all falling into place now.... mind = blown :O

Well to be fair you did seem to go straight off at the deep end dude. You were just given a pretty straight forward explanation and it seems to have wound you up. Maybe you misinterpreted? (or maybe I have?) But I think
what D-E-F was saying was that the Cc/Cc Pro cannot work with EVERY Wii U game as some will use the two extra button inputs which the Wii U Pro controller and GamePad utilise. That figures. Of course those which don't use any additional inputs to those provided on either the CC or the CC Pro, will likely support said CC/CC Pro controllers. Also figures.

Fact that Nintendo support Netflix and other services, which have 5.1 sound, I agree that despite what sound WiiU games support, they need to offer different options for users to throughput their sound, like you say, with a dongle.

Every single Xbox 360 game has 5.1. It's a requirement (or at least it was). Not sure about PS3, but I would imagine a very, very high percentage of games support 5.1.

The_Lump

Banned
wouldn't it be a smarter idea to star off with an e6760 as a base model since it already has ludicrously low power draw, and THEN add features and modifications?

Wouldn't have been possible in 2009 when they were putting the thing together :D.

Another possibility (pure unadulterated speculation) is that the r700 based gpu they used was simply the closest they could get to their intended target specs. Maybe the e6760 was in the pipeline and thats what they wanted but it was nowhere near ready at the time?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Only positive things, with a surprising quality for the gamepad speakers.

On development side, i know that a former SDK revision (the 2.05 i think) was kinda buggy for sound, and some developers preferred to remain on the previous one while waiting for a fix. It's settled since.

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

The_Lump

Banned

On development side, i know that a former SDK revision (the 2.05 i think) was kinda buggy for sound, and some developers preferred to remain on the previous one while waiting for a fix. It's settled since.

Oh and the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Nice B)

awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

When I read this bit a dolphin appeared before me and slapped me really hard in the face with it's hard wet flipper. Why?

So no word on if any launch games will have 5.1 sound or anything mentioned about 5.1 at all?

EDIT: oh, and was the bolded just about sound or overall?

Javier

Oh and the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !
Man, the hype is reaching a level too high. These next two weeks are going to be sloooow.

And I see this thread has claimed its first victim.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
When I read this bit a dolphin appeared before me and slapped me really hard in the face with it's hard wet flipper. Why?

So no word on if any launch games will have 5.1 sound or anything mentioned about 5.1 at all?

EDIT: oh, and was the bolded just about sound or overall?

Well, some middleware added the support of 5.1 since a moment now. For specific launch games using it, not sure, i hope :)

for the edit: it's written, it's the overall performances.

Well, some middleware added the support of 5.1 since a moment now. For specific launch games using it, not sure, i hope :)

Well, awesome info there, very, very interesting. Another beer for Ideaman bar tender ;)

BY2K

Membero Americo

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

You're still doing this, you damn frenchie?

The_Lump

Banned

Even better. Thanks for the tidbits!

Can you put it into some context? What exactly have they massively improved upon? Sorry to beg for scraps :D

...and with that, VAPitts is gone.

I wish he had replied to my post, as I tried to make it clear what I thought the original post meant about the CC[P] being not wholly compatible with games made for the Pro Controller. But I get the impression that he put me on ignore a while ago on account of being too anti-Nintendo.

HYPE !

Is the performance increase at least partly due to sound processing being more easily offloadable to the DSP?

The_Lump

Banned
I wish he had replied to my post, as I tried to make it clear what I thought the original post meant about the CC[P] being not wholly compatible with games made for the Pro Controller. But I get the impression that he put me on ignore a while ago on account of being too anti-Nintendo.

Is the performance increase at least partly due to sound processing being more easily offloadable to the DSP?

Me too. Wanted a reply I mean, not the ignore part.

And yeah come to think of it I remember reading about the DSP now being utilised since SDK 2.0.5 (which was buggy) and unburdening some of the other hardware as a result.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Even better. Thanks for the tidbits!

Can you put it into some context? What exactly have they massively improved upon? Sorry to beg for scraps :D

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to many parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms (if it was needed) that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom