• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Zzoram
(09-01-2012, 02:27 PM)
intro skip with 0.7.5 works for everyone now?
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-01-2012, 02:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Durante

That could be one application, sure, but for now the significance is that by creating a catalog of texture hashes and checking it when the game uses a texture I get a much better idea of what it is doing at any point, which allows me to make more intricate graphical changes.
(the only thing it's currently used for is telling me exactly when the intro starts/ends)

Amazing man, utterly amazing. I'm looking forward to finally breaking on my gtx670 I just installed with the game.
Wanny
(09-01-2012, 02:54 PM)
Wow skip intro works amazingly! Thanks Durante!
Grimm Fandango
(09-01-2012, 02:57 PM)

The intro detection should work for people other than myself now, so try it!

Also, http://www.abload.de/img/dumpfpugv.png.

It works, awesome. Thanks.
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
(09-01-2012, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Zzoram

intro skip with 0.7.5 works for everyone now?

Seems that way.

(And I'm happy it does, I expected it to be much more solid than before. Fun fact: the amount of code for the "intro skip" is almost 1/3 of the entire mod -- but of course much of the stuff I implemented for it can also be reused for other future features)
Dictator93
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:03 PM)

Seems that way.

(And I'm happy it does, I expected it to be much more solid than before. Fun fact: the amount of code for the "intro skip" is almost 1/3 of the entire mod -- but of course much of the stuff I implemented for it can also be reused for other future features)

Thx for this fix durante. Works wonders as always!
Zzoram
(09-01-2012, 04:07 PM)

Seems that way.

The only logo that should show is your name and GAF avatar.
Sullichin
(09-01-2012, 04:09 PM)
Durante, unrelated to resolution, but have you heard of the sound problems in Dark Souls PC? The stereo mix is missing a lot of ambient sound fx:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1ZBwB7Ghs
Sethos
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Sullichin

Durante, unrelated to resolution, but have you heard of the sound problems in Dark Souls PC? The stereo mix is missing a lot of ambient sound fx:

Damn those sounds are fantastic, when working of course.
iNvid02
(09-01-2012, 04:16 PM)
hoyl shit thats terrible
pa22word
(09-01-2012, 04:23 PM)

[url]

Oh wow that's quite an unfortunate mess indeed. It's mind boggling how badly they dropped the ball on this port...

Worst thing is, I don't think i can even downmix audio with my current set up (utilizes realtek audio) =\
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 04:24 PM)
Welp, time to get a sound card.
MvmntInGrn
(09-01-2012, 04:26 PM)
Wow thats crazy. I guess I'll a have to start playing this with headphones, which use the dolby headphone 5.1 to directional stereo thing. I should be able to output that even through HDMI though right? I'll have to investigate.
mr_nothin
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:29 PM)

Luckily, I have a card that's capable of downmixing! I just need to change a few settings in KXMixer. Thx for pointing this out
Sethos
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:31 PM)
Would it be possible to do like the graphical fix and intercept the audio stream, to do some software downmixing?
Dictator93
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:31 PM)

Originally Posted by mr_nothin

Luckily, I have a card that's capable of downmixing! I just need to change a few settings in KXMixer. Thx for pointing this out

I have onboard realtek audio. Uh oh. This makes me one sad panda
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 04:34 PM)

Oh, which sound card is it? Would you recommend it to others?
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 04:37 PM)
My onboard Realtek 889 can downmix.

Click Configure:

Select the 5.1 setup:

Unselect all optional speakers:

To test it out, simply click on Configure again and hit the test button. You should hear the center and surround channels.
mr_nothin
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:38 PM)

Originally Posted by EasyMode

Oh, which sound card is it? Would you recommend it to others?

Yea I recommend it. It's an oldie but goodie because of the custom drivers for it. It has a configurable DSP where you can add your own EQ's and has different plugins to downsample and you can re-route just about everything :)

Best soundcard I've ever had and makes me scared to move onto another soundcard because they dont support custom DSP configurations.

The card is a SoundBlaster 5.1 and you have to get the KX Drivers for it. The upgrade to that card is an Audigy/Audigy ZS. DO NOT GET THE LE/SE version of ANY of these cards because they dont support KX.
Cannon Goose
(09-01-2012, 04:42 PM)
Aha! I knew the sound was totally boned right from the start! What I find strange is that even when using 5.1 speakers the sound mix is still off.
Sullichin
(09-01-2012, 04:42 PM)

Originally Posted by TheExodu5

Click Configure:

*helpful stuff*

Thanks! Looks like my card can do that too (ASUS P8Z77-V LK w/ onboard Realtek ACL892)
blainethemono
(09-01-2012, 04:45 PM)

To test it out, simply click on Configure again and hit the test button. You should hear the center and surround channels.

I don't have computer speakers, I just use the digital out to my receiver. Any way to do this with that type of setup? It doesn't output in 5.1, just stereo. Realtek 892 on my motherboard
Cannon Goose
(09-01-2012, 04:46 PM)

Thanks! Looks like my card can do that too (ASUS P8Z77-V LK w/ onboard Realtek ACL892)

That's the same on-board sound I have and I can't downmix :(
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 04:47 PM)

Originally Posted by blainethemono

I don't have computer speakers, I just use the digital out to my receiver. Any way to do this with that type of setup? It doesn't output in 5.1, just stereo. Realtek 892 on my motherboard

Should be the same solution, I think.

Originally Posted by Cannon Goose

That's the same on-board sound I have and I can't downmix :(

You try what I posted?
Cannon Goose
(09-01-2012, 04:49 PM)
I did all the steps but I only get the left and right stereo sounds during the audio test. Does it matter that I'm using stereo headphones?
Sethos
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:50 PM)
Any method of testing whether your setup is capable of outputting the 5.1 mix correctly, I have an external soundcard ( Prodigy Cube ). Don't have access to the Windows surround tests.
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 04:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Cannon Goose

I did all the steps but I only get the left and right stereo sounds during the audio test. Does it matter that I'm using stereo headphones?

Did you unselect all of the "optional speakers"? They should be greyed out. Re-run the test afterwards.

Originally Posted by Sethos

Any method of testing whether your setup is capable of outputting the 5.1 mix correctly, I have an external soundcard ( Prodigy Cube ). Don't have access to the Windows surround tests.

You'll need to find yourself a 5 channel test file somewhere. Play it with a music player that can support it.
blainethemono
(09-01-2012, 04:51 PM)

Should be the same solution, I think.

Configure is grayed out under the realtek digital output. I think I can send an uncompressed PCM stream to a receiver through HDMI but I don't have hdmi on the receiver in this room
Sethos
Banned
(09-01-2012, 04:53 PM)

You'll need to find yourself a 5 channel test file somewhere. Play it with a music player that can support it.

Found a few but not sure if they are conclusive.

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html Downloaded the top one ( 5.1 Surround Test File ), I hear all the channels

http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/index.html and this and on the 5.1 I hear 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Assuming 4 was the sub?

Thought VLC could be sampling it all down to regular stereo and creating the illusion of it working.
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by blainethemono

Configure is grayed out under the realtek digital output. I think I can send an uncompressed PCM stream to a receiver through HDMI but I don't have hdmi on the receiver in this room

Ah...that's a problem.

One puzzling thing: I recall my 889 chipset (and the 892 chipset, I believe) is capable of doing Dolby Headphone. I can't find the option anymore.

http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/index.html and this and on the 5.1 I hear 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Assuming 4 was the sub?

Thought VLC could be sampling it all down to regular stereo and creating the illusion of it working.

Yeah, looks like VLC is just downmixing it. If I enable proper 5.1 on my setup I still hear 3, 5, 6, when I should not.
Last edited by TheExodu5; 09-01-2012 at 04:57 PM.
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 04:56 PM)

Yea I recommend it. It's an oldie but goodie because of the custom drivers for it. It has a configurable DSP where you can add your own EQ's and has different plugins to downsample and you can re-route just about everything :)

Best soundcard I've ever had and makes me scared to move onto another soundcard because they dont support custom DSP configurations.

The card is a SoundBlaster 5.1 and you have to get the KX Drivers for it. The upgrade to that card is an Audigy/Audigy ZS. DO NOT GET THE LE/SE version of ANY of these cards because they dont support KX.

I'll be looking for this then. I wasn't happy with the amount of noise I got with my on-board audio anyways.

Also, I just tested TheExodu5' solution and it worked. Realtek ALC662 6-Channel HD Audio, here.
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
(09-01-2012, 04:57 PM)

Thanks for this. Works the same on my Realtek and seems to sound much better!

Would it be possible to do like the graphical fix and intercept the audio stream, to do some software downmixing?

It's probably possible, for someone who knows what he is doing in terms of audio. Sadly that's not at all my expertise.
goodfella
(09-01-2012, 04:58 PM)
I went from very sad, to happy really quickly. Thanks TheExodu5!
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 04:58 PM)
Heh, I'm actually really happy with my onboard audio. Realtek 889 is the top they have, though. It's actually better than any Soundblaster I've owned. The Asus Xonar STX was a step up from it (I owned it for a brief period of time), but the difference wasn't terribly pronounced.
Mister0079
(09-01-2012, 05:00 PM)
Thanks for the downmixing guide, however when I click Test all the speaker directions work except the Sub, is this normal?
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Mister0079

Thanks for the downmixing guide, however when I click Test all the speaker directions work except the Sub, is this normal?

Yes. Your speakers and/or headphones can't play frequencies that low.
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Mister0079

Same thing here, but I think it's normal. I just tested both configurations in Darks Souls at the bridge shown at the beginning of the video. With Stereo, I just got the wind sound. With the downmixing, I got the ambient twinkling and wolf howls... neat!
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 05:06 PM)
It's funny. When I was in Blighttown, I was wondering why I couldn't hear those damned mosquitoes. They were really annoying in the console version. I guess this was the issue.
Cannon Goose
(09-01-2012, 05:07 PM)
Got it working! I had to do your steps in the Realtek Audio Manager, not the default Windows sound manager.

Sounds amazing, thanks for a simple fix, Exodus!
TricksterLoki
(09-01-2012, 05:07 PM)
Thanks for the downmixing guide, I will have to test this when I get home. Sadly I am at my cabin for labor day weekend right now and far from my computer and dark souls :( Feels bad man.
Felix Lighter
(09-01-2012, 05:12 PM)
Intro skip working great for me. Thanks yet again.

I wish there was a way to preload in more of the world to eliminate the hitching you get when moving into a new area. The weird thing is, it almost seems like that data is cached because when you first enter an area you'll get that slight hitch but if you run back through the areas you've already passed, the telltale hitch you get when streaming in part of the world seems to go away.
Pazuzu9
(09-01-2012, 05:12 PM)
Using a USB X-Fi HD here, which seems to only support stereo, so I get no 5.1 options in the 'choose your configuration' menu. So I guess I'm screwed?
Backfoggen
(09-01-2012, 05:20 PM)
I wish there was a way to eliminate the black freeze screen at the beginning but I think it's loading something into the RAM or whatever at that point.
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 05:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Felix Lighter

Intro skip working great for me. Thanks yet again.

I wish there was a way to preload in more of the world to eliminate the hitching you get when moving into a new area. The weird thing is, it almost seems like that data is cached because when you first enter an area you'll get that slight hitch but if you run back through the areas you've already passed, the telltale hitch you get when streaming in part of the world seems to go away.

Same here. Strangely enough, I'm pretty sure that the PS3 version didn't have these hitches, despite its framerate issues.
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 05:22 PM)
That's a common issue with PC games. In Dark Souls, it's probably remedied by using an SSD, as I don't experience any hitches.

When the PS3 needs drive access, it gets it right away. When the PC needs drive access, there may be a small delay as it's competing with other services using the drive, hence the hitch. An SSD will be dozens or even a hundred times faster in this situation.
Backfoggen
(09-01-2012, 05:24 PM)
I'm having hitches extremely rarely and even then its maybe one frame skipping and I run the game from a crappy 320GB HDD.
TheExodu5
(09-01-2012, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Backfoggen

I'm having hitches extremely rarely and even then its maybe one frame skipping and I run the game from a crappy 320GB HDD.

Alright, let's try to pinpoint the issue. Is the OS on the same HDD as Dark Souls?

If so, I'd probably say HDD access is not the issue. They're probably having issues with a lack of VRAM.
Felix Lighter
(09-01-2012, 05:32 PM)
I actually have the game installed on an SSD and my OS is installed on a seperate SSD, oddly enough.

Also, I have an HD 7970 with 3 GB of vram.
Last edited by Felix Lighter; 09-01-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Backfoggen
(09-01-2012, 05:33 PM)

Alright, let's try to pinpoint the issue. Is the OS on the same HDD as Dark Souls?

If so, I'd probably say HDD access is not the issue. They're probably having issues with a lack of VRAM.

It's Win7 on the same HDD. I have 1 gig of VRAM
EasyMode
(09-01-2012, 05:34 PM)

That's a common issue with PC games. In Dark Souls, it's probably remedied by using an SSD, as I don't experience any hitches.

When the PS3 needs drive access, it gets it right away. When the PC needs drive access, there may be a small delay as it's competing with other services using the drive, hence the hitch. An SSD will be dozens or even a hundred times faster in this situation.

Disappointingly, I do have an SSD (Vertex 3) but my motherboard only supports SATA-3.

OS and games on the same drive, 8GB system ram, 1.5GB vram. Maybe I could try closing some things like MSE (even though it's not scheduled to scan).