• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the specs thread.

The Wii U is exactly what I imagined it would be, and nothing Nintendo ever said indicated anything else.

Will buy anyway, even though I hate the Name "Wii U".

Tehalemi

I'm not saying it's the end of days.

But it's the end of days.

ancient-aliens-guy-big-hair-giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg

Edit: After finally catching up here, I'll say that real talk, I was never excited for this conference. I mean I'd still be willing to get Wii U, but now I feel a pins and needles sensation in my heart. :p

Yep, I've got it. I've got Hypititus. u___u"

Earendil

Getting back to Thursdayton, I have always believed that the codename Project Cafe was a hint to the online capabilities of the Wii U. I hope that this conference proves me right.

Not terribly sad about cyberheater. Maybe the time away will chill him out.

Maybe.

Is this one permanent? He's been banned a number of times before.

How on Earth are they repeating it when they are launching with a 2D Mario game, their #1 or #2 seller they have?

Apart from that, the way until next E3 should be pretty barren though. Cash-ins that could very well end the same way as Nintendogs 2, while the rest again consists of outdated ports from 3rd parties. Looks like the 3DS to me, but without the future proof. They only thing they've learned from that launch apparently is that you can slap NSMB on it and be fine.
But then, NSMB2 didn't quite set the world on fire alongside the XL. At least not the way they were hoping for, I imagine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Apart from that, the way until next E3 should be pretty barren though. Cash-ins that could very well end the same way as Nintendogs 2, while the rest again consists of outdated ports from 3rd parties. Looks like the 3DS to me, but without the future proof. They only thing they've learned from that launch apparently is that you can slap NSMB on it and be fine.
But then, NSMB2 didn't quite set the world on fire alongside the XL. At least not the way they were hoping for, I imagine.

You know you did not really answer my question.

Don't forget Pikmin 3. That's quite the Nintendo fan pleaser.

andthebeatgoeson

So, right now, I'm hoping for 50-70% third party ports. Not each and every one of them but a majority of them would be good. More options and better chance at picking up some good ones at a bargain price. I see some steam games refusing to drop and I think 3rd party ports on consoles cannot resist dropping. They can downgrade the ports to something of HD levels. I'm okay with that. I can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. They can turn off all the big improved bells and whistles.

RedSwirl

New Trine 2: Director's Cut info and screenshots

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11/trine-2-enter-the-wii-u-dragon

Summary from GO.

- still due at system's launch
- devs are polishing various elements of the original game
- this includes tweaking gameplay, geometry, vocals and the overall user experience
- supports Wiimotes and the Wii U GamePad
- features touch controls
- had the game up-and-running on Wii U in just 2 days
- move and manipulate in-game objects through the GamePad screen

So from this we know that the eShop will be up at launch?

So, right now, I'm hoping for 50-70% third party ports. Not each and every one of them but a majority of them would be good. More options and better chance at picking up some good ones at a bargain price. I see some steam games refusing to drop and I think 3rd party ports on consoles cannot resist dropping. They can downgrade the ports to something of HD levels. I'm okay with that. I can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. They can turn off all the big improved bells and whistles.

Hell as long as 3rd parties actually show engagement, I'm fine. The most insulting shit on Wii was the condescending shit eating grin of those various PR clowns rolling their eyes at the mere mention of the Wii telling people how they "supposedly" were putting quality software on it.

The times I wanted to punch one of those figureheads for acting like Wii Owners were mentally challenged and needed something designed to suit lower cognitive capabilities.

I want proper games. I don't care for the budget as even games with smaller budgets can end up amazing, but I want games that are properly made. No more fucking test games or "railshooter" variants. I swear the ultimate Troll would be GTA5 Los Santos Chronicles. A Light Gun reimagining of GTA5.

I will :lol hard if those rumored specs are false and the Wii U is actually a bit more powerful.

Cyberheater would have lost his life for nothing.
I'm not suprised if those specs are indeed true. But Nintendo releasing official numbers will change little at this point. If someone already has the mindset that the Wii U will satisfy their needs or is a "weak" machine, a list of specs doesn't do much. In the end? Let's be honest, taking previous console kings/queens out of the picture, its the software that dominates each generation. The software details how "powerful" a console really is. If NSMBU sells like gangbusters, its not a weak console or weak launch lineup

ohlawd

If someone already has the mindset that the Wii U will satisfy their needs or is a "weak" machine, a list of specs doesn't do much.

I'm the former. This system is getting Pikmin 3, Project P-100, Rayman Legends + more Nintendo stuff in the future and hopefully weird 3rd party stuff... that's enough reasons why I'm getting one. I don't understand the specs talk anyway.

The Wii U is exactly what I imagined it would be, and nothing Nintendo ever said indicated anything else.

There's nothing wrong with the name. All the bitching over it is pathetic, and it smacks mostly of butthurt from people who couldn't handle the fact that Wii 'won' this generation. A dumb move would be having a native 1080 console (if one presumes it will be - I personally don't know) and calling it XBox 720, yet much of NeoGAF actually does this and doesn't bat eyelids. Or iPhone 5 when it's the 6TH phone in that line. Some might even say Morte is more accurate than Vita... ;) (it's a fine handheld). I'm glad that Nintendo ignored those calls for a name change and held their nerve.

ozfunghi

My point was that a game's sales potential and a game's quality are always connected with each other. When looking at it, it doesn't make much sense to exclude one factor altogether. I very much doubt that DKCR would have sold 5 million units if the game was developed by "any other studio", simpy because it likely would have been of worse quality.

Especially a game such as DKCR that keeps on selling for a while needs to have a positive word of mouth surrounding it. "It's not really good" doesn't keep a game selling.

You could argue that another studio would have done a better job at developing a DKC game, but that's a rather unlikely point of view. EAD didn't have any resources left for developing it and the plattformers Nintendo outsourced to other outside companies are historically of mixed quality.

Who on earth said "any other"? I said "another", i didn't say "the guys from Gingerbreadman". Nintendo has plenty of talented studio's that could have made DKCR just as good or better than Retro, which would NOT have jeopardised sales in any way and sold just as many copies. In the same vein, any (!) other studio could have tried to tackle Metroid Prime and would not have sold one copy more on the Gamecube (lowest selling Nintendo console of all time, small userbase) and/or Wii (underpowered compared to competitors, important especially for this kind of game).

So yes, i think Nintendo would be wise to let Retro do what they do best (or better than the rest) and not have them do what other internal studio's do better. In that sense, i agree with the statement made before by some, that it is a waste of their talent. Maybe they could make a decent Paper Mario as well, which could sell just as much as one being made by IS, but would it be the smart move? I doubt it.

Donnie

What I don't get about it is so many people talking as if the info there actually let us all know what the system is capable of. Nothing there gives us a good idea about performance.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It always bugged me that he didn't just say collar.

Stupid tiny aliens.

Orion's belt is the famous structure of the middle three stars in the "orion" star sign.

It's easily recognizable in the night's sky and points almost directly at Sirius.

09sep07_430.jpg

Just sayin'.

jerd

I was thinking about the Wii U golf demo shown in the video at E3 2012, and I'm wondering how long it will be before we see something that actually uses similar functionality (The Wii remote as the primary controller, using the Gamepad as a separate screen). I think it has tons of potential uses, so hopefully we see a game use it before long. I think we will see a lot of unique uses of the Gamepad coming from indie devs on the eshop.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I will not get hyped unless/until we get news of a Japanese event/Nintendo Direct.

Sheroking

Orion's belt is the famous structure of the middle three stars in the "orion" star sign.

It's easily recognizable in the night's sky and points almost directly at Sirius.

09sep07_430.jpg

Just sayin'.

He was referencing Men In Black, where the Alien told Agents J and K that the thing they were looking for was in Orion's Belt, which confused them. Turns out he was talking about his cats collar, who's name was Orion.

I can't believe there's somebody who hasn't seen that movie.

Hoo-doo

Banned
He was referencing Men In Black, where the Alien told Agents J and K that the thing they were looking for was in Orion's Belt, which confused them. Turns out he was talking about his cats collar, who's name was Orion.

I can't believe there's somebody who hasn't seen that movie.

That's exactly what I mean, I saw that movie countless times.

"Orion's belt" is just a familiar phrase, and probably why it was used.

Sheroking

That's exactly what I mean, I saw that movie countless times.

"Orion's belt" is just a familiar phrase, and probably why it was used.

But it was needlessly confusing and contrived.

If the stupid thing just said it's on my cats collar.... the cat was about twenty feet from them at the time.

CuboidFX

Banned
So this has probably been covered already, but just wanted to see if this was still true. If the the rumored Wii U specs in the other thread are in fact the real deal, is there still a good chance of it at least getting PS4/720 downports?

Other than that still excited for thursday! Woo!

Donnie

Also I'd be interested to know what lherre says on this rumoured info. Considering he confirmed that WiiU's CPU was dual threaded a while back. A CPU based on Broadway isn't going to be multi-threaded no matter how much they've enhanced it.

Oersted

I was thinking about the Wii U golf demo shown in the video at E3 2012, and I'm wondering how long it will be before we see something that actually uses similar functionality (The Wii remote as the primary controller, using the Gamepad as a separate screen). I think it has tons of potential uses, so hopefully we see a game use it before long. I think we will see a lot of unique uses of the Gamepad coming from indie devs on the eshop.

imagine a star wars. you see the usual dogfight at your tv screen. but when you point your gamepad besides the tv screen, you will see where your enemies coming from. it wouldnt be needed but increase the intensity.

Nibel

I don't care about asymmetrical gameplay as much as about the TV to Pad function

This is a killer feature for me. Playing homeconsole games, then switching to the Pad when I feel tired, then play some more, browse some GAF afterwards and sleep #LivinLaVidaLoca

Also I'd be interested to know what lherre says on this rumoured info. Considering he confirmed that WiiU's CPU was dual threaded a while back. A CPU based on Broadway isn't going to be multi-threaded no matter how much they've enhanced it.

It just seems strange to me that they'd start w/ Broadway cores and "enhance" them rather than start with a 476fp/470S core and include a few of the necessary Broadway features. But maybe that's still exactly what they did and it's just another way of putting it.

jerd

I don't care about asymmetrical gameplay as much as about the TV to Pad function

This is a killer feature for me. Playing homeconsole games, then switching to the Pad when I feel tired, then play some more, browse some GAF afterwards and sleep #LivinLaVidaLoca

One of my favorite things to do is play turn-based strategy games or something else that doesn't require 100% attention on my PC while browsing GAF on my Kindle Fire. Now I can reverse that. It will be great.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But it was needlessly confusing and contrived.

If the stupid thing just said it's on my cats collar.... the cat was about twenty feet from them at the time.
That would've made for a hell of a short movie, don't you think?

From what I can tell:

Original numbers = Devkit.
Current numbers = Final spec.

EatChildren confirmed them both to be accurate.

Anth0ny

It will probably be before the TGS. Since it begins next week (September 20th), I can see Nintendo doing a Japanese Nintendo direct the day before.

Are they really going to leave Japan hanging for a week like that?

I don't think Nintendo has taken TGS seriously since 2005. I expect a surprise Nintendo Direct announcement for Japan later today or tomorrow.

Earendil

It just seems strange to me that they'd start w/ Broadway cores and "enhance" them rather than start with a 476fp/470S core and include a few of the necessary Broadway features. But maybe that's still exactly what they did and it's just another way of putting it.

I would lean toward this. Since the 476fp core has some similarities to Broadway, the person who leaked the specs may have simply assumed that they were the same thing.

I would lean toward this. Since the 476fp core has some similarities to Broadway, the person who leaked the specs may have simply assumed that they were the same thing.

I'm thinking so as well. It would be nice to retain the 4 instructions per clock of the 47x cores. And those chips are already made on 45nm, unlike Broadway, which may not shrink as easily.

You have got to be kidding me... Nintendo gave them months to themselves at the 3DS launch with nothing but N64 remakes, and they did fuck all, and sales suffered for it. Why the hell are 3rd parties moaning when they've proved they can't be trusted on Nintendo consoles? Nintendo need to launch their new system with something big, shouldn't 3rd parties be happy its a game which will move tons of systems which they can then take advantage of?

3rd Parties: What ever Nintendo does, we don't like it. Either they give us too much space or too little!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom