• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Depends on how you market it. The Wii sold to older people and casuals who don't care about FPS games and stuff like that.

Other than that, you bet your ass tech matters when I'm sitting on my sofa with a big ass TV in front. Besides, better tech can improve a game, it's not just graphics.

The WiiU probably isn't going to sell to the FPS crowd, you're right. But how are shooters faring these days? Battlefield and Call of Duty rule the roost, and the last two years in particular have seen piles of big hyped shooters absolutely fail at the market. FPS's as a genre no longer intrinsically have system selling potential IMO

Daschysta

Depends on how you market it. The Wii sold to older people and casuals who don't care about FPS games and stuff like that.

Other than that, you bet your ass tech matters when I'm sitting on my sofa with a big ass TV in front. Besides, better tech can improve a game, it's not just graphics.

Studios are going out of business, big ones are slashing jobs like crazy, trying to keep up with the ridiculous visual arms race. If anything it is a smart move for smaller devs like Platinum to stick with the Wii-U, where you don't have to sell 10 billion copies of your game to make a buck.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
have I said something wierd?

getting a few wierd replies.

It isn't wrong to want this game on other systems is it?

Also it isn't right to say it's awesome that the game is exclusive to one console and others can't play it, is it?

it was canceled. had nintendo not intervened the game wouldn't have even been made. its either exclusive or extinct.

About the director, I saw someone post a list of games he's credited in, but does anyone have his roles in those games? I did some googling, and couldn't find his credits, but I did see some drawings he's posted, maybe he's from the art department?

I am on my phone so I will look up links later, but Hashimoto is probably best known for helping to design the battle systems in Kamiya's action games.

Look up interviews with the two of them. He was, if nothing else, heavily involved in Bayonetta's production.

Aeana

Does anyone believe, even for a second, that the Ubisoft games will remain exclusive? 0_o
Rayman Legends seems to absolutely require the gamepad screen. To the point that I'm still worried it doesn't even have a single player mode, because everything they've shown so far has had Murphy totally integral to progression.

StuBurns

Banned
He was an animator and special effects artist prior to being the producer on Bayonetta.
Cool, Bayo is a game that I think would have been considerably better if someone had taken a chainsaw to it, and removed a lot of the additional crap that weights it down. I know it's stereotyping, but I imagine a producer would have a more analytical direction, if so, it could be a much more refined game.

Skilletor

why is that awesome?

It pleases you that others can't play a 3rd party game on their console of choice?

Also does anyone find it wierd how nintendo is changing their direction with the wiiU?
I thought Nintendo were only about family friendly games.

It's awesome because Bayonetta 2 is coming out. It's awesome because being published by Nintendo is probably the only way the game could be released.

I don't give a damn if other people aren't willing to buy the hardware needed to play the game. If those people aren't willing to do so, they should just not post about the game and go on their merry way.

Azure J

Addendum to my last post:

Oh also, can a guy get some Jet Set Radio 3 on this bitch?

you know, i don't get the anger. it's not like monster hunter 3 that was very actually going to be a ps3 game and then nintendo moneyhatted it over to their side. this was a cancelled game. it had passed on. this game was no more. it had ceased to be. it had expired and gone to meet its maker.

and now it's not. the difference between yesterday and today is that yesterday we all thought this game didn't exist at all, and today we know it's not the case.

This. Seriously.

Soulstar

you know, i don't get the anger. it's not like monster hunter 3 that was very actually going to be a ps3 game and then nintendo moneyhatted it over to their side. this was a cancelled game. it had passed on. this game was no more. it had ceased to be. it had expired and gone to meet its maker.

and now it's not. the difference between yesterday and today is that yesterday we all thought this game didn't exist at all, and today we know it's not the case.

I like this post.

Mxrz

Can't say I'm thrilled about it. The first game was fun enough (skip cutscenes) but not to the point I'm suddenly wanting a Wii-U. I'd probably bought a PS360 copy. Its good for the Nintendo-only types, and bayo fans that were already picking up a Wii-U, not sure about everyone else.

Not crazy about money-hatting when any company does it and limits my options. But I imagine this was a good deal for the Devs.

If those people aren't willing to do so, they should just not post about the game and go on their merry way.
I bought, played, and nearly platinum'ed the first game. I reckon I'll voice my disappointment of it being exclusive to hardware I don't plan to buy if I want to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo buying Platinum would be incredible, and would basically mean that they have almost all of the Japanese talent I care about these days (Platinum, Monolith, Sakurai and EAD)

Tecmo might be in the cards, too, considering the collaborations with Fatal Frame, Metroid: Other M, Tekken, and Smash.

Jeff-DSA

Also it isn't right to say it's awesome that the game is exclusive to one console and others can't play it, is it?

It wasn't coming to any other systems though. It was dead. Done. Now at least it exists somewhere. Or wait, do you expect Nintendo to publish it without locking up exclusivity? Because if so...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Console warriors are irrational, and this isn't really something we're learning just today. It's unfortunate that they feel the need to spoil something that should be considered great news by every gamer - even those who don't like the original game because, well, they should be happy that the people that do like it will be able to play a sequel.

Zephyrus

Banned
Ugh. Monster Hunter Tri. No More Heroes. Mad World. MGS: Twin Snakes. How many fucking "adult" games do they have to release on their consoles before this shitty trolling goes away.

If I had a nickel for every time someone insulted me for not playing "real games" because they were on a wii.

o_O

what the hell are you talking about?

Where am I trolling? I'm asking a legit question since Nintendo picked up this game.

Jeez you guys are sensitive...

Ezalc

I can only dream of a Nintendo Direct where Shenmue 3 is announced to be exclusive on a Nintendo console. GAF would implode.

Most of us are just happy it's alive.

I've been boycotting sony hardware since before the PS3 came out, and I'd have to seriously consider buying a PS3 if this was exclusive to that platform. I loved this game that fucking much.

But there's been a TON of people shitting up the thread saying how this game is doomed because Nintendo only makes kiddy games and the console is not truly next-gen and it's just freaking ridiculous. The game probably won't come out for at LEAST a year. There's plenty of time for people to make up their minds about whether or not they want to buy a Wii U before that happens.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

You know, gamers/developers always SAY this, but I never see it.

Better AI, they say. Except enemies are almost always dumb as shit to this day.

Better controls, they say. Except some of games still have laggy control.

More immersion, they say. Except I can practically see the invisible script barriers I cross that triggers the enemy spawns and story events.

Let's face it. The tech goes towards the presentation. For all we talk about tech improving games, all I'm seeing is the same games with more shaders.

You mean, presuming that you define the next "leap in games" as related to technical power, and not something else like interface or network functionality or business model.

Which is fine if that's how you personally define the evolution of games, but it isn't how everyone would define it. That is certainly one manner in which games evolve that both the PS4 and Xbox 720 are likely to handily best the Wii U in.

That is another conversation entirely, but technical power equates to everything else - better animation, better lighting, better AI, better networking, etc.

The gist of it is that some of the posters are saying tech doesn't matter, and I'm saying it does, and has always mattered. It's not the only variable, of course, but saying only games matter is both hopelessly romantic, and completely delusional. Lots of crap games have been sold purely because of eye candy, for example.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. The thing is, Bayo 2 will flop, much smaller install base combined with being the sequel of a hardcore game that was on the competitions' systems... don't see how Bayo 2 will do well, at all. Only the Nintendo PR connection can save it.

The Technomancer

o_O

Where am I trolling? I'm asking a legit question since Nintendo picked up this game.

Eh, part sensitivity, part a lot of people genuinely dropping comments about Nintendo and kiddy and "ugh, I don't want a WiiU" that honest comments get lost in the shuffle.

Kayo-kun

I really enjoyed Bayonetta, but I have no interest in buying Wii U so I'll probably won't play the sequel. Console exclusive games (which aren't first party) is so last gen, especially since the first game sold well on PS3/360 and established somewhat of an userbase.

Alrus

Does anyone believe, even for a second, that the Ubisoft games will remain exclusive? 0_o

Well to be entirely fair Ubisoft has published a few Nintendo exclusive that remained exclusive. So it wouldn't be that surprising that these titles stay exclusive.

Their gameplay seems to be really tied with the controller. Of course, if the other console makers have a similar kind of controller, a port would be much more likely (see Just Dance)

Foffy

Banned

Others can play it. Nobody is banning them from getting a Wii U if they want the game that badly. Again, this line of thinking perplexes me: should we even have new systems then? Some people "can't" play games on the new systems they don't have, after all...

o_O

It's the impression that Nintendo is suddenly "changing direction" that's getting me annoyed. They've been encouraging games like this on their platforms for years.

tumblr_m0zpaublC41rqzqc4o1_400.gif

o_O

He's referring to your surprise that a 'mature' game is coming to a Nintendo console. M-rated games have been on Nintendo consoles for quite some time now.

StuBurns

Banned
I really enjoyed Bayonetta, but I have no interest in buying Wii U so I'll probably won't play the sequel. Console exclusive games (which aren't first party) is so last gen, especially since the first game sold well on PS3/360 and established somewhat of an userbase.
This is first party.

demidar

You know, gamers/developers always SAY this, but I never see it.

Better AI, they say. Except enemies are almost always dumb as shit to this day.

Better controls, they say. Except some of games still have laggy control.

More immersion, they say. Except I can practically see the invisible script barriers I cross that triggers the enemy spawns and story events.

Let's face it. The tech goes towards the presentation. For all we talk about tech improving games, all I'm seeing is the same games with more shaders.

I don't have any faith for most companies with regards to putting the extra power to good use. It'll just be more explosions and special effects.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

This is a Monty Python reference that I actually get because of maharg in The Newsroom thread.

Others can play it. They just have to buy a Wii U.

Alrus

Can't say I'm thrilled about it. The first game was fun enough (skip cutscenes) but not to the point I'm suddenly wanting a Wii-U. I'd probably bought a PS360 copy. Its good for the Nintendo-only types, and bayo fans that were already picking up a Wii-U, not sure about everyone else.

Not crazy about money-hatting when any company does it and limits my options. But I imagine this was a good deal for the Devs.

I bought, played, and nearly platinum'ed the first game. I reckon I'll voice my disappointment of it being exclusive to hardware I don't plan to buy if I want to.

The thing is, it's not limiting your options. The game wasn't going to exist before Nintendo picked it up.

Also, in all honesty, the first game might have shipped a decent amount of copies, but the actual data we have didn't really paint it as a great retail success. It probably was quite overshipped.

The Technomancer

Its not wrong but on Nintendo platforms especially these kinds of threads are often clogged up with "But its not really exclusive right?" (see: Epic Mickey, Rayman Legends)

Oh, I bet it'll sell well. Just like the Wii did. It'll appeal to the same crowd. But I doubt they'll win many over from the MS and Sony camps though. Even with Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive. You can save this post and let me eat in a couple of years if you will.

Edit: The teaser looks really slick though. Makes me wanna go replay Bayonetta.

dude the wii sold shittons.

I think some of us believe that us message board posting gamers are far more important than we are.

If the Wii U sells like the Wii, Nintendo will be pretty content with that.

Them actually trying to add more than the "typical" nintendo games means that they are trying to add a few more "hardcore gamers" (I fucking hate this term).

They do that successfully, then shit will get real. If they don't get the Sony/Microsoft crowd, then oh well. According to some Nintendo systems have only been for Nintendo fans....well there must be enough of those to keep them afloat this long.

You act like that is a bad thing. "meh they'll only reach their same old large as fuck fanbase...whatever". If anything that's an advantage Nintendo has over the other two...their fanbase is fucking insane.

The days of owning one system is gone man. I had all 3 this gen (Xbox died tho) and played all of the games I wanted to.

It's not that hard.

I gotta leave this thread before I get labeled a fanboy lol.

Hero

o_O

So you complain about not being able to play this game on your platform of choice when people call out your bullshit because this game wouldn't EXIST without Nintendo picking it up and you call other people sensitive? Are you for real, bro?

Haha, perfect!

Zephyrus

Banned
it was canceled. had nintendo not intervened the game wouldn't have even been made. its either exclusive or extinct.

I'm talking about how that guy made it seem the only thing that was awesome was the fact the game was now exclusive to a nintendo system.

Ofc it's awesome the game isn't dead anymore. I just found it wierd how someone's happy the game is exclusive.

And yes, it's better to see the game being exclusive than to not seeing it at all. But it's petty when someone goes "awesome bayonetta 2 is exclusive to wiiU".

Got attacked from left and right for asking an innocent question and for pointing out how petty someone was.

And I'm off from this thread. Waiting one long year to post on neogaf and ruining it with a ban before leaving junior status is not on my plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom