• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

Gold Member
It's just a really, really bad move from a business perspective.

Who the hell is the target consumer for ME3 Wii U as things stand right now?

It REALLY is. This is an extremely boneheaded move by EA. I can't even begin to fathom the logic behind the decisions they made.

D-e-f-

Banned
EA lost a purchase of ME3:SE on Wii U with that move since I'm now waiting for a port of the Trilogy pack down the line. I own all three games on the 360 so I'm in no rush but I was really excited about the GamePad features and I'd love to have them for all games.

Not porting the Trilogy Set to Wii U is just stupid and putting both on the shelf at the same time for the same price is just beyond ridiculous.

Meelow

Banned
It REALLY is. This is an extremely boneheaded move by EA. I can't even begin to fathom the logic behind the decisions they made.

They want a reason to not support the Wii U because Nintendo said no to Origin, and the only way to do that is sabotage the Wii U version of ME3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They want a reason to not support the Wii U because Nintendo said no to Origin, and the only way to do that is sabotage the Wii U version of ME3.

If they wanted to sabotage the Wii, they would simply not release any games for it.

King_Moc

Banned
Well, releasing this trilogy for (likely) the same price as Mass Effect 3 solus on Wii U is one of the dumber decisions i've seen a developer make. It's pretty much the definition of 'Sent to die'. Trouble is, i'm seeing another Wii situation, where we put in a half assed, rip-off of an effort and then blame the platform when it tanks.

Still, if EA don't want my money then that's their problem. I'm not gonna bother bother with Playstation or Xbox this time around, so this is the only place they can get it.

yes, a very small team on the side because its not being funded by the publisher. If Nintendo made the offer, I doubt Ubisoft would refuse considering they're in no hurry to fund it.

Can you imagine the fallout from that on here? Screw the Gif's, I'd have to literally go and buy popcorn.

cand

Are you all srsly ignoring the only thing in this thread that could actually help to bring the game for the U to just complain that EA sux yadda yadda even with every soul in the earth already knowing that? Srsly? I just want to...
freakinoutbeaker.gif

pramath

Banned
These conspiracy theories are stupid.

It doesn't really matter if ME3 was sent to die or not on the Wii U.

If the other, worthy 3rd party titles sell on the console, rest assured EA will be making more serious moves on the Wii U in the future.

Move on.

Earendil

EA lost a purchase of ME3:SE on Wii U with that move since I'm now waiting for a port of the Trilogy pack down the line. I own all three games on the 360 so I'm in no rush but I was really excited about the GamePad features and I'd love to have them for all games.

Not porting the Trilogy Set to Wii U is just stupid and putting both on the shelf at the same time for the same price is just beyond ridiculous.

This is the key problem with the entire situation. If they had waited to announce the trilogy until after ME3 was released, then we'd all be upset, but it would be less stupid and wouldn't sabotage their own game.

If they wanted to sabotage the Wii, they would simply not release any games for it.

But then what would they say to their investors when they wonder why EA is ignoring an entire platform. ME3 failing gives them an excuse (not that I'm an advocate of the conspiracy or anything).

Are you all srsly ignoring the only thing in this thread that could actually help to bring the game for the U to just complain that EA sux yadda yadda even with every soul in the earth already knowing that? Srsly? I just want to...

What in this thread could help bring the game to the Wii U? This is a serious question because I must have missed something.

Blades64

Banned

If they REALLY wanted to stick to the man (Nintendo), tomorrow they will announce that ME3 for the WiiU is cancelled during a press conference. Peter Moore will wear a troll face mask on, and when he walks off the stage, the back of his shirt will say, "Like a boss." as the people watch dumbfounded.

antonz

BG&E2 is nothing more than a pipedream at the moment. Yes Ancel in his free time fools around with it but thats its. The main studio is far too busy working on Wii U titles.
Hell Ubisoft just recently said BG&E2 if it happens could be a digital title raher than retail.

There's no conspiracy on EA's part. They've just jumped to the conclusion that core games will rarely sell enough on the platform to justify porting costs, and will only give it token support in that regard from here on out.

Kacho

Gold Member
It doesn't really matter if ME3 was sent to die or not on the Wii U.

You're right, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that a LARGE publisher is releasing an inferior product on a new console for reasons unknown. Who in their right mind would pick up Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U when they have access to the trilogy on multiple other platforms for the same price? What they're doing takes away what little appeal Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U had in the first place. It's inexcusable. This is not how you instil confidence in consumers with your product.

PhantomR

Banned
I wonder why Nintendo hasn't gone after Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. With it releasing on 02/21/2013, it would fit nicely into the launch window. I just don't own a 360 or PS3 and getting a Wii U would love to play this game too. It would also be a good game for people to play from Platinum while we have to wait for Bayonetta 2. I hope Konami wants to put it on Wii U, would be a great place for the game.

Well, Konami is the publisher....they aren't known for really supporting Nintendo platforms particularly well :\

Not sure where else to put this, but.. anybody who preordered from Toys R Us try to track their order #? Their system states that it can't find the order # they emailed me when I preordered a couple of weeks ago. They already put the authorization hold on my debit card, which has since gone away, of course.

I'll call them when I get home from work, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has experienced something like this; do these types of orders typically have no tracking available until it's ready to ship?

Thraktor

None of us really know, but something happened between E3 11 and now because the relationship between Nintendo and EA has definitely changed. If its going very sour, why wouldn't a publisher do a bit of a fuck you. As EC said, they don't care. Whereever they can make money they'll take it.

But this isn't going to make money. EA could have made Wii U versions of games like Warfighter, Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3, all of which would have sold a reasonable amount, but instead they're porting Mass Effect 3 and releasing it in an environment where it'll sell like shit. EA doing this to spite Nintendo is like shooting themselves in the foot to piss off the guy they borrowed their shoes from.

andthebeatgoeson

One question: after buying the Wii U, you'll go buy the multi-platform on it or will continue buying for other devices?

Only depends on effort. Need better graphics and good use of the second screen. I would honestly be happy with devs putting the UI on the second screen. But it shouldn't take them a lot to figure some way to utilize it. But if I can get rid of my 360, I'll have no problem with that.

Nintendo also needs to get MLB, HBO go on their platform. It would complete my departure.

Edit: I just bought a nice laptop, so that makes things easier.

Zero148

One question: after buying the Wii U, you'll go buy the multi-platform on it or will continue buying for other devices?

I'm planning to make the WiiU my main console. Also skipping Fifa 13 on the 360 and wait, how the WiiU version will be (never played ultimate team) to buy it there. And I bought Fifa 11 and 12 for the 360 day one.

So I'm planing to buy multi platform titles on the WiiU, except the port job is really shitty

pramath

Banned
So Wii U is unsurprisingly getting some sloppy ports... from my understanding the biggest offenders are the japanese titles: Sonic Racing, and Tekken.

ASIS

I personally move a lot. And tend to play Nintendo's local multiplayer much more than other consoles. So if a multiplat gets released on Wii U, i'm buying, unless its completely worse than the other versions (see Rayman Origins as an example).

Drago

repost from other thread

Definite Day 1
  • Basic Wii U Set
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Nintendo Land
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Possibly Day 1
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • White Pro Controller

Launch titles I may pick up later
  • Epic Mickey 2
  • ZombiU

Launch Window
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Wonderful 101
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (hopefully in a bundle w/ 3DS ver)
  • LEGO City: Undercover
  • Game & Wario (if there is a lot of content, that is)

Digital
  • Cloudberry Kingdom
  • Trine 2: Director’s Cut
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

lots of good stuff coming

Wait, does all this Mass Effect chatter mean that we have license to start port begging?

In that case, I demand that we get
TimeSplitters 4
on the Wii U!

I usually get two consoles a generation, but this time around they were too damned expensive. I really, really was interested in getting a PS3 once it came down under $200, but it feels like that ship has sailed. So I don't really have other consoles to buy for.

Also, on side note, I powered up dolphin-emu for the first time yesterday and tried a little NSMBW (legal purchase, copied to USB via homebrew). That was pretty cool, though I can't find my little USB bluetooth doodad, and my machine doesn't have it built in. So it's weird controlling with a keyboard, and using buttons to emulate tilting the controller is pretty disappointing, in pretty much the same way that shaking to emulate a button on many Wii games is.

pramath

Banned
repost from other thread

lots of good stuff coming

I would hold off on Sonic and Tekken.

Both are apparently suffering from frame rate problems. Especially Sonic. (Tekken is not so bad).

Could be because of the current builds but may simply be bad ports.

Drago

Both are apparently suffering from frame rate problems. Especially Sonic. (Tekken is not so bad).

I think I remember hearing that the original Sonic Racing on 360 had framerate bugs that got fixed in a patch. Maybe, if it is really bad, they can do the same here?

And what are the problems with Tekken? Haven't heard of any yet

Kacho

Gold Member

When was the Tekken stuff reported? This news bums me out if true.

D-e-f-

Banned

I'll buy the Wii U version unless it's a bad port, lacks features or is just significantly better on another platform (which will likely be the PC version).

For now, I'll definitely get Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U even though the PC version will look better. I just want the scanner "in my hand." ..and besides, the PC version will be cheap as dirt in some steam sale sooner or later :)

Double dipping has become a bad habit of mine anyway...

When Sumo doesn't care about a port, they won't put much effort in to it.

If I recall correctly, their reasoning for not putting online in to the PC version of Sonic All-Stars Racing was simply "Everyone's going to pirate it, so why bother?"

Earendil

No offense to my good friend 10k, but I can't see a Twitter campaign doing a whole lot of good (I'm saying this as someone who doesn't get the appeal of "social media"). I'll happily eat a large helping of crow if I'm wrong though.

Wait, does all this Mass Effect chatter mean that we have license to start port begging?

I wouldn't count on it. But feel free to try and let us know how it works out... :p

jacksrb

Drago - stealing your format.

Definite Day 1
  • Delux Wii U Set (w/Nintendo Lan)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Batman AC:AA (if not terrible - if terrible, swap in Assassin's Creed III)
Christmas
  • BLOPS 2
  • ZombiU
Launch Window Interest
  • Wonderful 101
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Pikmin 3
  • 007 Legends
Digital
  • Toki Tori 2

cand

No offense to my good friend 10k, but I can't see a Twitter campaign doing a whole lot of good (I'm saying this as someone who doesn't get the appeal of "social media"). I'll happily eat a large helping of crow if I'm wrong though.

So doing absolutly nothing is a better fit? This is not about complain, is about showing that Nintendo has a large hardcore public that likes hardcore games and fight for it. But maybe they are right cause the only thing I've seen people, besides 10k, do it's complain and act like experts. I'm not offending anyone it's nice to know things and talk about, but this will not do a thing to change Nintendo gamer image. When I read that post I thought everyone will join to get that game, cause I really want this. It's not a marketing-wise shitty complain, I really want that freaking game. Not only it but every freaking hardcore game I couldn't play for years because "Wii is to weak" or "Wii is for kids". Can do nothing, but at least I'm showing to them what a hardcore Nintendo gamer wants. If they don't want to listen is their choice, but doing nothing just do nothing.

D-e-f-

Banned

It's the part where we let it be known that we'd like this to happen. If nobody complains, a publisher will keep assuming "well, we were right, nobody even cares".

We have to ask for things sometimes in order to make something happen.

Mass Effect 3

I would laugh so hard if they announce that the WiiU version will come with a download code for 1 and 2 from the eshop. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

In that case, I demand that we get
TimeSplitters 4
on the Wii U!

There's a fine line between port begging and saying a company is stupid for not putting game x on console y. Having a well thought out post explaining why this is stupid helps to make it ok to post.

pramath

Banned
Aw shucks :(. What's looking bad about the tekken port?

Guys look into Tekken further before you decide... the one negative impression I read on that was dubious.

Sonic on the other hand looks like it's got some serious issues I've seen with multiple impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom