• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

HYDE

Banned
I found Ninja Gaiden 3 demo infinitely better of RE6 demo. RE6 is not even a playable game.

I didn't realize the importance of comparing turds...is it that one turd is bigger than the other?
Or more stinky?? The both are unsettling.

Kayo-kun

Capcom went from my favourite developer (last gen) to my most disliked one. The Resident Evil series are dead in my book and the same goes for The Devil May Cry series. The Mega Man series.. oh wait-

I bet Capcom is going to sink even lower in the upcoming years.

YoungHav

Banned
LMAO @ the people here who were making excuses for that crap demo. I gave Capcom the benefit of the doubt and figured it was an old build or something. Unfortunately this polished turd will sell at least $10M. The devs should all be fired, I have never seen someone turn on their fans like this. Capcom NWO'd gamers.

duckroll

It's okay guys, Shinji Mikami will save Survival Horror: http://tangogameworks.com/project/index_en.html

art_01.png

art_02.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
When Capcom just tried to make great games they appealed to east and west but now when they're trying to make western games they can't get it right. I'm not even sure if RE can recover from this, two terribly reviewed titles in a franchise is enough to kills the IP. ORC sold well sure but the word of mouth wasn't good and that could affect RE6 sales seeing as how the reviews are comparable.

BTW Has Capcom said anything about the critical response yet?

They're busy retweeting good reviews. Not that I'd expect them to RT bad ones, though.
https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK

Mr Kollar might appear in here at some point to discuss his 4/10. In the meantime you could play a fantastic, Polygon-approved game like Transformers instead.

I'm around, but I'm hoping the review speaks for itself. I respect that other people are going to have different opinions on this one and some folks don't think it's as bad as I thought it was, but I think my text fully explains my issues and matches the score we gave it.

I need to follow Phil Kollar on twitter to see if he's going to give his old GI buddies some shit for that score.

Nah, I played some co-op with Tim. I knew he liked it a lot more than me. I don't understand it entirely (and I haven't read his text yet), but so it goes.

Where will the Resident Evil series go from here?:

-Total Reboot and go back to roots. (Less Action Heavy, more puzzles, more atmosphere, less ammo)

-Continue current direction into all out action game a la Gears of War and outsource to Western Dev

-Becomes a FPS. It could actually be interesting and scary like Zombi U if done right.

-Truly examine RE4 and do a repeat (Unlikely)

-Give it to Frictional Games (Amnesia: Dark Descent dev) and see what they can do with it

Make a true mix of old school RE with RE4 combat.

I think the movies is what really ruined the series. The films are so over the top and action oriented, and because they're so popular, Capcom is trying to match them. In a way.

And it worked. I watched Afterlife and they lifted an action scene straight out of RE5. The game and film series are exactly the same now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this anymore. I said it in the demo thread when I first tried it out and some fans tried to tell me that I was dead wrong, crazy, etc.

Bladenic

Ignoring this game, Capcom has had a terrible generation this gen, pretty much starting after Resident Evil 5 came out. Overall weak critically, sales were strong at first but have fallen off greatly, etc. It'll be interesting to see how this game sells.'

Edit: That shot looks amazing. But which company is he working for? Never heard of them lol

Beyond that, there are no QTEs that I can recall, so control over the game is never taken away. And with the exception of two turret sections (which were actually fun), all of the boss encounters are legit boss encounters, fought face-to-face (or face-to-knee -- some of these monsters are tall!) on the ground, forcing you to outmaneuver your opponent in multi-layered environments. There is great build-up to each boss, and all of the characters, creatures and concepts are thoughtfully integrated into the setting and plot. Revelations is just an immaculately crafted game, polished through and through. The music is the best in the series, the end-game is seriously haunting and ends up a terrific high note, and the characters, creatures and conspiracy are all great. And it's all powered by airtight controls and great shooting mechanics where you disable limbs to setup melee attacks, all while being able to strafe out of the way of incoming attacks.

You have the usual combat QTE's but those are the norm and are a key part of the game, there combat mechanics; and the reason those turret stuff works because the games interweaving plots have been building up to that.

Revelations is just an amazing game, I agree its incredibly polished. It had focus, if that were RE6 (with improvements ofc, in the heavy combat areas) it'd be a fantastic return to form.

Am just hoping we get another Revelations as its obvious its increasingly important for the brand to at least remind players what about RE is so good.

Remember the pre-RE4 footage of Leon in that house with all the weird shit going on? They need to go back to that and remember their survival horror roots. It's a real shame the series has turned into a Gears wannabe, there was no need for it. Think up another franchise or experiment with a less successful one, don't fuck with one of your biggest sellers. Sigh.

omonimo

Banned
I didn't realize the importance of comparing turds...is it that one turd is bigger than the other?
Or more stinky?? The both are unsettling.

I have replied to a post. Anyway, I don't think ng3 is that bad, if you forget it's a ninja gaiden. RE6 could be even worse, if it wasn't a RE franchising, imho. I found the demo a wreck train.

faridmon

I bloody hate this industry. How can some of them give it good marks and others rubbish ones? Isn't there an objective review that tells you what is wrong or right about the game? Bloody hell.

duckroll

Edit: That shot looks amazing. But which company is he working for? Never heard of them lol

He left Platinum Games and started up his own studio in Japan. The studio was then acquired by Zenimax shortly after, so now he has one of the biggest worldwide publishers backing his studio and vision.

Bladenic

Remember the pre-RE4 footage of Leon on that house with all the weird shit going on? They need to go back to that and remember their survival horror roots. It's a real shame the series has turned into a Gears wannabe, there was no need for it. Think up another franchise or experiment with a less successful one, don't fuck with one of your biggest sellers. Sigh.

Um.... that was the supernatural RE4 build, which is not at all what the series is about...

He left Platinum Games and started up his own studio in Japan. The studio was then acquired by Zenimax shortly after, so now he has one of the biggest worldwide publishers backing his studio and vision.

Oh awesome. Interested to see more of that game then.

cvxfreak

Ignoring this game, Capcom has had a terrible generation this gen, pretty much starting after Resident Evil 5 came out. Overall weak critically, sales were strong at first but have fallen off greatly, etc. It'll be interesting to see how this game sells.'

Huh? RE5 has sold very consistently since its release. In Japan, it's the only million selling console game this gen aside from FFXIII (this counts Alternative Edition).

ezekial45

Banned

RE5 is the highest selling game of the series.

I bloody hate this industry. How can some of them give it good marks and others rubbish ones? Isn't there an objective review that tells you what is wrong or right about the game? Bloody hell.

Because some thought that game was good and others thought the game was rubbish.

PowderedToast

what has happened here:

- anti-japanese sentiment has reached a tipping point in western press
- capcom are an acceptable developer to criticise due to their mixed business practices
- the game is bloated and excessive, but it's also difficult and has a steep learning curve

consequently, re6 becomes the perfect target to;

a. prove journalistic integrity by tearing down an AAA title
b. slaughter a hugely popular japanese brand with a sound 'motive'

reality: re6 still contains more imagination and innovation than most (if not all) AAA western games.

Capcom needs to get the Revelations team and director onto RE7.

Hell, I'll take the RE5 management over the RE6 team any day now.

It's really baffling that after Revelations, a game that showed so much promise for combining the RE4 gameplay with the feeling of the original 5 games (pre RE4) with some obvious deviations, they came up with ... well this, whatever this is.

I know not many people share my view on Revelations being one of the best RE games to come out, but at the very least it is a consistently good game with great value and a great amount of content.
While RE6 seems to really only have the content going for it. What a shame.

jett

D-Member
Only thing that can save this bloated mess of a series is a complete reboot. This franchise needs an enema.

Kusagari

Isn't a mixture of reviews more objective than the usual?

Mass Effect 3 getting 9s from every reviewer on the planet hardly tells you anything in comparison.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Again, read the NeoGAF OT. We've been discussing the game starting somewhere in the page 30s. Been some very good feedback of what is good and bad about the game, even before these reviews many were calling on it being one of the most polarizing games of this gen.

Um.... that was the supernatural RE4 build, which is not at all what the series is about...

Well it was more of a nod than what we got. Super natural maybe not, but survival horror for sure. Needs fixed cameras, creepiness, puzzles and slow moving enemies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
what has happened here:

- anti-japanese sentiment has reached a tipping point in western press
- capcom are an acceptable developer to criticise due to their mixed business practices
- the game is bloated and excessive, but it's also difficult and has a steep learning curve

consequently, re6 becomes the perfect target to;

a. prove journalistic integrity by tearing down an AAA title
b. slaughter a hugely popular japanese brand with a sound 'motive'

reality: re6 still contains more imagination and innovation than most (if not all) AAA western games.

Or...
- Game reviewers have opinions like the rest of us.

*Tin foil hat*

The reviews that pin the game as awful are pretty one-dimensional and lack the depth of an actual gameplayer. You want to know which Capcom games are really bad? Try playing Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight or Yo! Noid for the NES.

It seems to be a combination of where we are with game tastes in America combined with the need to be overdramatic in the press. It's clear that Japanese game titles have been out of favor in the U.S. in the last couple of years. People may complain about a QTE event but then praise the hell out of a COD level where you bomb things from the sky in black and white fuzzy view.

Not saying that people don't have the right to score the game as average due to the action elements, but a 3 or 4, which would be at or below RE: ORC, and far below any run-of-the-mill next-gen FPS entry, isn't an accurate portrayal of the title as a whole.

The reviews don't surprise me. I was pretty hyped for the game - a first for me and the Resi series since I tried out the demo for 4 and felt compelled enough to buy it - but when I played the demo that hype deflated to nothing. It was awful, especially Chris and Jake's sections, and I'm glad the reviews reflect that. Capcom should never be given a free ride just because they're a big publisher and this is a mainline title in a triple A franchise. If something is crap, then it should be called out as such.

Top Bottom