• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's New 3DS Ad Campaign - "I Am Not A Gamer"

Snakeyes

wrongnumber.jpg

tumblr_lqga1ccHkq1qfcs3a.gif

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Isn't this about the game letting you be something else? As in: because I'm playing this game I'm not a gamer, I'm a ----.

That's how I interpreted it before I read any impressions but I'm sure I'm wrong.

I think this is what happens when you cut out the second half of the statement.

*Gold medalist plays NSMB2 in which the main goal is to collect as many gold coins as possible*

"I am not a gamer; With my 3DS, i'm a coin collecting champion."

The context makes that statement sound considerably better. But hey, sensationalism!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't think the debate would be about "is it offensive". The debate is about whether it's good marketing or not.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
"I'm not a gamer, so that's why I'm super psyched Bayonetta 2 is on Wii U"

PetrCobra

Why is everyone so pissed off, I don't get it. The message is "even if you're not a gamer, you'll enjoy this".

I like it.

I guess watched the ads differently.

It wasn't "I'm not a gamer"

But more gaming can turn me into an artist, an heroic plumber, a warrior... etc

But *Shrugs*
Yeah, I got that too and I think that's the intent. But I think it's really doesn't work and even if inadvertently it strikes the wrong nerve.

zroid

Banned
Yeeeeaaahhhhh. Well I'm no marketing expert, maybe it will work.

Either way I don't think it's going to have an impact on how "gamers" view the system, so my opinion is meaningless.

Nekki

Er as I understand it she means "I don't play around, i play to win". But maybe that's just me.

I think i'll try feeling offended.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

"I'm not a gamer, I'm an artist"

The exact same thing. The ad doesn't alienate gamers at all...it basically says people playing games aren't just gamers, but artist, gold collecting champion...and this is the basis for the real motto: PLAY AS YOU ARE.

Bgamer90

Banned

LOL!

So spot on for this.

But yeah... I don't see why this is a big deal. Also, the ads themselves aren't really saying that there's anything wrong with stating that you are a gamer (at least in my opinion).

If people stopped worrying so much about what others may feel/think about them based on interests, people would be happier.

Well that was short sighted. Hope it works out. I think Nintendo is the last person who needs to get into the "what is gamer?" debate

MisterHero

It sounds terrible as it stands. One word could have made it so much better.

"I'm not just a gamer."

It's nothing to be indignant over, the original line just sounds weird.

"I'm not a gamer, I'm an artist"

The exact same thing. The ad doesn't alienate gamers at all...it basically says people playing games aren't just gamers, but artist, gold collecting champion...and this is the basis for the real motto: PLAY AS YOU ARE.

It alienates people with brains and common sense. It alienates people that have been paying attention to what's been happening in the mobile/handheld space. People aren't idiots. They're not going to look at these horrible ads and go, "Yeah, I think I'd like to stop spending 99 cents on games/apps that I could pay Nintendo 20-40 dollars for." Nintendo is so completely out of touch with reality. "Hmmm do I buy a camera/art app on a device with the worlds shittiest ****ing cameras and screens? Or buy one on an iOS device with an amazing camera/screen? Tough choice."

BrhysH

Official tag is "Play as you are" not I am not a gamer... the ad is for the mass market and in no way takes aim at gamers.

The M.O.B

Nintendo is a business. There is more money in "non-gamers" than there is in "gamers". They release a commercial to appeal to "non-gamers" to make more money for their business. What is wrong here?

This kind of reminds me of the super backlash Prince got when he released that "If I Were Your Girlfriend" song. I think people are missing the message here.
It sounds terrible as it stands. One word could have made it so much better.

"I'm not just a gamer."
This would have been much easier to understand.

I think this is what happens when you cut out the second half of the statement.

*Gold medalist plays NSMB2 in which the main goal is to collect as many gold coins as possible*

"I am not a gamer; With my 3DS, i'm a coin collecting champion."
Yep I don't see the controversy.

Horrible ad though.

Isn't this about the game letting you be something else? As in: because I'm playing this game I'm not a gamer, I'm a ----.

That's how I interpreted it before I read any impressions but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Yes.

The negativity / article is selective quoting non story bollocks. I expected much worse!

"I am not a gamer, I am a coin collecting champion... "

She's glorifying a videogame and implying it makes her something... Anyone who'd get bent out of shape by this message needs to get some fresh air!

RAWi

The real message has been said several times here xD.

Playing doesn't convert you into a gamer, it makes you be more than that.

Nice approach, yet it is misunderstood by people (including me at the beginning xD)

pargonta

Think if they added a "just" in there... that would soften the miscommunication.

"I'm not just a gamer, i'm this other thing as well..."

i feel that is what they are going for, just flailing to get to it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It alienates people with brains and common sense. It alienates people that have been paying attention to what's been happening in the mobile/handheld space. People aren't idiots. They're not going to look at these horrible ads and go, "Yeah, I think I'd like to stop spending 99 cents on games/apps that I could pay Nintendo 20-40 dollars for." Nintendo is so completely out of touch with reality. "Hmmm do I buy a camera/art app on a device with the worlds shittiest ****ing cameras and screens? Or buy one on an iOS device with an amazing camera/screen? Tough choice."

This...isn't related at all with the commercials.

Top Bottom