• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well, there's the sisters, I guess.

Looks pretty retro! I wonder what this thing is...

bg_m.png

Jex

Five Star Stories

This felt like the prologue to a much larger story, which I suppose it is. It kind of worked as a stand-alone piece, having the normal structure of setup, climax, denouement, yet at the same time the character motivations and the societal structure were a bit murky due to not being able to fully situate this in its context. Thus it was difficult for me to get invested in the plight of these characters, although at the same time my curiosity was piqued to examine the manga and see what happens to them beyond this piece.

From my brief peak at the manga's timeline it seems to contain several thousand years of madness. It started in 1986 and is apparently still ongoing. One day I will have to check it out (which means that I will never have time too).

From the New World 2

Yeah, this really isn't interesting at all. I've never seen such a boring usage of psychic abilities. The scene with the
rat people
was kind of intriguing, but it's not enough to keep me watching.

Dropped.

duckroll

The tagline says that this is a "Traditional magic fantasy story about witch sisters". They're definitely going for a more retro Kiki sort of story rather than "mahou shoujo", which is good!

Ultimadrago

Haha, nah, I'm sticking with Nyarko-san. Even if only due to all the references, I loved the first episode. And it's only 12 episodes, so it's not a huge commitment.

Went ahead and added Tsuritama to my CR queue, though. Definitely looks good, and unless I find something I want to watch more before I finish Nyarko-san, it'll be next on my list.

Well, suit yourself!

Nonetheless, welcome and feel free to post impressions on any episode of anime you'd like to share, ask for suggestions, discuss, etc.

fertygo

You will miss out when its goes batshit insane, cosmic.
The tagline says that this is a "Traditional magic fantasy story about witch sisters". They're definitely going for a more retro Kiki sort of story rather than "mahou shoujo", which is good!

Now I'm interested.

Articalys

I just noticed that the pumpkin on the front of the older sister's broom has little cat ears on it. This should be fun.

What's some other recent stuff (besides Soul Eater, I suppose) that has a more "Halloweeny" feel?

Uchip

Banned
From the New World 2

Yeah, this really isn't interesting at all. I've never seen such a boring usage of psychic abilities. The scene with the
rat people
was kind of intriguing, but it's not enough to keep me watching.

Dropped.

yeah
it is pretty, but it also puts me to sleep thus far

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Re: Cutie Honey - 03 [END]

FVxn9.png

So. Damn. Awesome! It really did end the way I wanted it to, so for that I couldn't be any happier. Watching Natsuko gain the courage and strength needed to be honest with herself (more importantly to Honey) was a sight to see. It was helpful, and very much appreciated, when they did a short flashback on
Natsuko's past and revealed the events that made her become the prickly person we were introduced to in the first episode.
Knowing now
that her once cold demeanor was in truth a wall protecting her vulnerable self made her all the more endearing.

The one thing that I really, really liked was that between Honey and Natsuko neither of them were stuck in a 'damsel' role. Both girls were capable of saving the other, and did so on multiple occasions.
Watching Natsuko go the distance and running along the side of Jill's fortress (monster thingy) while avoiding a shit ton of tentacles in order to reach her girl had me literally clapping in enjoyment.
When she finally reached Honey at the top and had to give her the
medicine in order to wake her up from her slumber, I felt like I was watching a badass yuri version of 'Sleeping Beauty'.
Natsuko would be such an amazing prince!

Definitely a new favorite for me, and has easily cracked my top 10, top 5 for that matter. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, please, pleeeeease do.

Oh and the OP FUCKING ROCKS!

Ultimadrago

Thanks for the welcome! Quick question, what's the spoiler tag policy in here?

Simply, when in doubt: spoiler tag.

If it's an important specific detail in the story. Yes.
A simple inconsequential action from a character or group. No.

Thinking and previewing before you post should give you a good sense of whether you're spilling too much information or not.

Of course, in my experience, "Slice-of-Life" (ex. Hidamari Sketch) or comedy (ex. Gintama) come with a more lenient standing due to the nature of the material. (As the extent of impressions usually boil down to highlighting a normal day-to-day activity or joke(s) you found humorous/notable/entertaining. They are part of the story, but most likely wouldn't cross the line of being uncourteous to passive readers that might want to view at a later time. )

cajunator

Banned

So it could be like Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice aka Tweeny Witches.
Even better!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Thinking and previewing before you post should give you a good sense of whether you're spilling too much information or not.

Of course, in my experience, "Slice-of-Life" (ex. Hidamari Sketch) or comedy (ex. Gintama) come with a more lenient standing due to the nature of the material. (As the extent of impressions usually boil down to highlighting a normal day-to-day activity or joke(s) you found humorous/notable/entertaining. They are part of the story, but most likely wouldn't cross the line of being uncourteous to passive readers that might want to view at a later time. )

Alright, cool, thanks!

I'm seeing double.

Four ultimadragos.

Haha, ultimodrago isn't the only one with a Yukko avatar in town anymore. :lol

SDBurton

fyi the transparency in your avatar looks awful in NeoGAF Pro Dark

Oh? I'm new at doing avatars like this as you can see. I don't use dark though so I'm not going to bother working on it any further. Unless someone else wants to do it for me of course. :lol

Seeing the first episode of BTOOOM! reminds me of Hunger Games, Bomberman, and Lost in one mix. Seems like an interesting plot.

Though from the previews, I can only tell what the female protagonist would be going through before she arrived on the island.

I currently have a month trial of CR, so I'm catching up on new anime such as Polar Bear Cafe and Sword Art Online.

Any other suggestions?

wsippel

Banned
I'm confused. What the fuck is K supposed to be? What's with the boatloads of homoerotic undertones and pretty boys, combined with jiggling boobs, ridiculous short skirts and naked catgirls? What exactly is the target audience for this?

I don't know what to think, but one thing's for sure: The first episode at least was extremely well animated. And I personally don't mind the tons of digital post production effects, color filters and stuff GoHands uses. I think it adds to the visual style. Except for the horrible CG cars, of course.

Soma

http://i.minus.com/iKz9lvwyaYU1f.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

;_;

[quote="SDBurton, post: 42910704"]Oh? I'm new at doing avatars like this as you can see. I don't use dark though so I'm not going to bother working on it any further. Unless someone else wants to do it for me of course. :lol[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ixIdHolgGrrry.png

Might be a bit better?

Thoraxes

Additionally, when referencing episodes that aren't directly related to an episode, be sure to also give context in which the spoiler takes place.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm...I guess I should add a few other shows I watched semi-recently (these are all dubs).

Sgt. Frog - Loved it, really hope Funi does another season, at least up to the Garuru Platoon stuff.

Angel Beats - Wanted to like it, dropped it after like three episodes because nothing made a bit of fucking sense.

Highschool of the Dead - Sorta embarrassed to admit that I watched all of this, and kinda liked it, except for the last couple episodes which nearly made me drop it.

Shin-Chan - Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 are great, latter part of S2 got kinda boring, and Season 3 just feels like they're going all out with the crass humor without putting any real thought into it. Meh. I guess I'll always have Season 1 though.

Ga-rei Zero - Marathoned the first four episodes, got bored, dropped it.

Panty and Stocking (okay, I lied, I watched the sub for this one. Actually watched it shortly after it came out) - Wonderful, absolutely loved it.

There, I think that takes care of just about everything I've watched in the last several months. :lol

SDBurton

Hm...I guess I should add a few other shows I watched semi-recently (these are all dubs).

Sgt. Frog - Loved it, really hope Funi does another season, at least up to the Garuru Platoon stuff.

Angel Beats - Wanted to like it, dropped it after like three episodes because nothing made a bit of fucking sense.

Highschool of the Dead - Sorta embarrassed to admit that I watched all of this, and kinda liked it, except for the last couple episodes which nearly made me drop it.

Shin-Chan - Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 are great, latter part of S2 got kinda boring, and Season 3 just feels like they're going all out with the crass humor without putting any real thought into it. Meh. I guess I'll always have Season 1 though.

Ga-rei Zero - Marathoned the first four episodes, got bored, dropped it.

Panty and Stocking (okay, I lied, I watched the sub for this one. Actually watched it shortly after it came out) - Wonderful, absolutely loved it.

There, I think that takes care of just about everything I've watched in the last several months. :lol

HSOTD: Dropped it myself after the ridiculous bullet-titty physics.

P&S: Loved it. The music in that show is godlike.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The moment I saw her "fluids" splatter against the camera when she was cutting zombies, I knew that was my cue to drop.

...I'm glad I apparently never noticed this.

By the way, I was justified in dropping Angel Beats, right? Like I said, I WANTED to like it, but it just made zero sense whatsoever. Maybe it was just the dub, I dunno...

Kazzy

HSOTD: Dropped it myself after the ridiculous bullet-titty physics.

I dropped it after the first two episodes. Although, I had no idea what it was like beforehand.

I will probably watch it at some point, if only to justify actually buying a physical copy. That'll teach me to succumb to the hype-monster.

And welcome, Seraphis Cain! Always nice to see, when an anime avatar you notice from the wilds of GAF, finally ventures in.

fertygo

Still the best directing piece that Araki ever done, if GC ever had scene like that maybe I would like it a bit more lol.

Ultimadrago

By the way, I was justified in dropping Angel Beats, right? Like I said, I WANTED to like it, but it just made zero sense whatsoever. Maybe it was just the dub, I dunno...

I believe quite a handful of people here would agree that you were justified in dropping Angel Beats.

Branduil

From the New World 2

That opening scene was pretty nuts. I guess it's not a surprising result of psychics existing, but it's certainly not a pleasant circumstance to ponder.

ibzu8uYXKcvXTa.jpg
ibpFFGdVood6oe.jpg

iVzulqZHAszLW.jpg
ibrGBRYzyH3SAs.jpg

A-1 Pictures is really going all-out with the background art for this show.

Episode two was not as good or consistent as the first episode, but there was still plenty of intrigue. I'd say that main thing dragging the episode down was the tournament, which I wouldn't call bad, but certainly not as good as the rest of the show. The game itself felt rather confusing to watch, as the viewers' unfamiliarity with the game makes things seem to happen randomly. They tried their best to explain the rules, but I'm just not sure it's possible to explain psychic ball-rolling games from the distant future in a couple of minutes. I was also unsure as to why the kids needed to run around to use their psychic powers; I guess to make the scenes more visually interesting, since the CGI game pieces certainly weren't.

I suppose this makes it sound like I didn't like the episode, which isn't true. I just felt it necessary to explain why I felt like those scenes were weaker, because the show does so much right most of the time. Even then, the tournament was still interesting by virtue of what it revealed about the school and the children.

The sense of unease and distrust of adults continues to be a theme in this episode. Particularly striking was the scene where Saki discusses school life with her mother. The slow, overlapping cut to the teacher stamping the
rule-breaking student's name
was a very effectively juxtaposed with her mother's claim that they "just studied."

Finally, I see that Franz Bonaparta remains a popular children's book author in the distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom